April 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/03/09

Tonight on AC360°, new details on the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York. Plus, is it missile test or a just a communications satellite? Why North Korea has the world on edge tonight. And, Iowa's Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage ruling during the commercials. Do you agree with the justices decision in Iowa? Sound off below. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Heather – Living in the progressive state that I do, it's often surprising to see the rampant ignorance and vitriol on the issue of marriage. It's nice to see the courts now acting out of ethical and moral persuasion rather than fear of senseless public repercussion.

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Kris

This is so sad. How many mass shootings will we have to endure before there is any debate about toughening the gun laws in this country?

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

@ Jana, so true. So true.

April 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Anna

My heart goes out to the victims, their families and those affected. My prayers are with them.

Anna, Toronto, ON

April 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. MJ in Wisconsin

I was born in Binghamton and spent most of my life there. This is so very out of character for this city. Normally a very safe city, 3 homicides a year is a big deal. So very sad, so very very sad. My thoughts and prayers to all in Binghamton. God bless.

April 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Isabel, yes, I think the whole town is traumatized too

Yes, the communication tech does help in a lot of ways Erica. I think it would be difficult to see that info appearing on messaging sites though.

It's enlightening to hear Byron Sage make the point about "derailing" what the possible culprit might do by giving that person hope. I can see how that works in to what a hostage negotiator does.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Lauren--NY

@Annie–I hear you. Seeing the city where I went to college (I just graduated in May 2008) on AC360 is weird for me, too.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Cristy Kirssin

Oh no! It sounds like Madonna won't be able to adopt the child from Malawai, I think their loosing out but they don't see it that way...

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

Very sad! In my work we were shocked! We do not have direct contact with Binghamton, but all customers (in America) were very sad. It was a tough day to work and talk with Americans because everyone was very sad.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Lily O'Brien

What a horrilbe day for Bringhamton, NY.... my heart goes out to everyone that is suffering. i wish we knew hot to help the shooters before it is to late.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Joyce Carrasco

What a sad day for all of America. What causes a person to implode to the point of taking the lives of innocent human beings? Let us all be reminded that life is fragile. Life is much more than fashion, economics, fame and fortune. All that is asked of each of us is to love our neighbor as ourself.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Sam M.

I wonder what kind of chemicals in the brain causes this depression, and people to act so horribly. Like hormonal imbalance or maybe something to do with impulse. That would be interesting to learn about.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Heather - Detroit, MI

As a native Californian, I was heartbroken to see the adoption of Proposal 8 in November's election. The state of Iowa has taken a step toward equality and and away from hate.

April 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  14. mohammed

They shouldn't let the missle test be done , North Korea is very dangerous ,you never what they are ploting aganist the U.S.

April 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Marc

How many more shootings and innocent lives is it going to take before we change some laws. This is getting ridiculous i shouldn't have to worry about getting shot, whether its heading to class, or going to the store. I cant believe im scared in my own country, its time for a change.

April 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

hi, everyone. a somber friday

Yes, Erica...... very somber day....... really shock felt numb my heart.

April 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Andrew, Binghamton

As a Binghamton resident who lives practically a stone's throw away from the site, today's incident has people in and around town shocked and shaken. God only knows how long it'll be before this relatively peaceful area can fully recover from the emotional devastation it suffered today.

April 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Anthonia-California

I think is was a massarce because obviously if was a hostage, there wouldnt be as many lives taken...unfortunately there was and i believe that this killing was a massarce..

April 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Emma

What a horrific day.....I can't imagine what would cause someone to murder people he didn't even know.

April 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I don't think that you can ever get used to seeing something as terrible as this....and I really not sure we can ever really understand it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Annie & Taylor,

My family send their prayers to you, your families and especially your community who had to endure this senseless violence.

April 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  22. cathy m.

shocked and saddened. i am an italian-irish american from binghamton and went to the community college down the street from the violence. Nothing has ever happened like this ever. I live in Florida now and feel like it is next door right now. My two sisters and lots of relatives still live there. God bless my beloved Binghamton and all the wonderful people there.

April 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

My prayers going out to the people in Binghamton. May they find peace.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Courtney

The events in NY are horrible, absolutely. Still, i worry that with every horrid event wherein someone mentions as a motive the pressures of a crushed economy.....the support for our president is going to erode at least a bit. I insist on remaining audacious enough to hope......and hope the rest of us do, too.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Zach

Good evening from Greater Binghamton.

As a lifelong resident of Binghamton, the events that happened in this great city today are a pure shame and not the way that Binghamton should be making national news. Working only two blocks from the site, it was amazing to see downtown bare of many people. Further, I stood at a bus stop across the street from the Civic Society every day for four years waiting for the public transportation bus to take me home. It is sickening to think of this occuring to a group of people who were trying to better their life and "achieve the American dream." While I do not believe I knew anybody in the building today, this event today has brought people in BInghamton together and has had an effect on a large number of people. It will take some time for the shock of this event to begin fading.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If the killer deliberately placed a car in front of the back door he was probably familiar with the set up of this building. He may have even taken his citizenship test there.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its always the quiet ones that committ these crimes because they are in a depression or are the outcasts

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Thesa

Incidents like this sadden me at the same time gives me the creeps as it reinforces the fact that this world is really not a safe place anymore. There are lots of factors that could have triggered this man to do something horrible like this and I do fear for my kids and what the future holds for them. There has to be a concerted effort in our society to prevent such senseless killings from happening.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Michael, Binghamton
    My prayers and thoughts with you....... I am shocked and sad for you and your friends love lost ones...... I hope all will be change your life. Thank you coming on AC live blog tonight.

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Justin Niles

im from Binghamton NY and this City will never be ther same after this shooting.. its crazy im praying for the familes

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Barbara – I was thrilled as well. I find the rampant and bizarre prejudice often on display in America to be shameful. It's nice to see that courts are no longer caving to the pressure and are making ethical decisions.

@Erica – It is very amazing. Even though I'm probably one of the youngest on here, online communication and communication technology as a whole has progressed at a surprising rate in the years that I've been old enough to notice. I think the naysayers are quite mistaken, and that the benefits of such accessibility far outweigh the risks.

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  32. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! tragic,the shooting in Binghampton.I can only wonder why so many of these shooters ,in the end ,take their own lives? if that was their intent,to kill themselves after they cause great harm to others,then why not just spare the hostages and kill themselves? I know that sounds crass,but if someone is so low that they want to kill themselves,why drag others down with you?

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening Erica Hill.

Yes, so very sad! The person seems to have had no other way to cope...

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Heather - Ypsilanti, MI

What a tragedy for the people of Binghamton and for our country. I hope I live to see the day when people respect human life enough to stop these kinds of things from happening.

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Maren in Oregon

Good Evening,Erica. Stunning tragedy in Binghampton. Sounds like the community is pulling together, though.

April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Jenny Buza

Binghamton has been sad these last few months as jobs have been being lost left and right. The community has been hit very hard. These tragic times have caused people to act drastically. Especially people who feel that there is no hope left.

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Renee

He was a quiet man. That's the problem. Men go in there caves and freak out. Women talk and blog and talk and talk. We work things out. Women may have a cry. We find find friends. Men need each other more than ever!

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Jana, Indiana

Seems like you can't go anywhere anymore that something like this doesn't happen. Even a few weeks ago, it proves that you can't even feel safe in a church, let alone other places.

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. mohammed

what has the world come to? No can feel safe anymore , this is a very horrble thing that has happned , i still cant belive 14 people have been killed

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Annie

As a student who graduated from Binghamton High School, literally down the street from where the shootings occured, it is surreal to see the neighborhood I went to high school in on Anderson Cooper. What a sad story, and I will continue to pray for the victims of the shootings.

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Dulcie - Denver

@Barbara. I was also very pleased to hear about that ruling.

I'm in total agreement. I know that many religious people disagree with gay marriage, but I don't believe that religious beliefs should have any influence on public policy. I honestly do not understand how gay marriage diminishes straight marriage in any way and I don't understand why they care so much about it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  42. Isabel

@ Michael, Binghamton

I side with you and all of its city, even from afar

April 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Maren in Oregon

Dr. Mohandie! Yea!!! Only terrible subjects to talk about , but an excellent source of intere4sting information on these horrible topics

April 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. ericacnn

hi, everyone. a somber friday

April 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jana, Indiana, That is an excellent question! Why do these men feel the need to kill strangers if they are going to kill themselves?

April 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. taylor

i live in endicott, which is about 10 minutes away from there. it was like 5th period at the highschool when people started getting concerned. it was a huge shock to all of us, no one ever thought something like this would happen here.

April 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Sam M.

glad to see a forensic psychologist on the show!

April 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Tricia

It's simply hard to imagine. Why are people so caught up in these thoughts in their heads that violence is the way. We all have a voice and want to be heard. There is a better way. How do we reach these people so it doesn't end up like this. Life is just too precious. We all have to start paying it forward and simply give and love one another.

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Miranda

Anderson

Last night.I thought you would be in London.It is always sad to hear about a rampage, yet unfortunately given the times it will most likely not be the last.

Miranda

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Miss J

I don't think that these killings can be prevented... Maybe the police response and safety measures can improve but there is no way to prevent those types of killings. If someone wants to go out and shoot up a grocery store because they are mad at the world, not much is going to stop him.

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |