April 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/03/09

Tonight on AC360°, new details on the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York. Plus, is it missile test or a just a communications satellite? Why North Korea has the world on edge tonight. And, Iowa's Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage ruling during the commercials. Do you agree with the justices decision in Iowa? Sound off below. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Irsyad Ediwan

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.This is a very sad and tragic event and I wish this would make the federal government think again about gun control and ownership, we can't let this shooting rampage that has been going on happen over and over again

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Sam M.

Erica,
    good point. I think social networks can have such a bad stereotype as highschool fads. The power of these networks go unnoticed.

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Isabel

I don't agree with the thesis that the freedom to carry a weapon is an inalienable right of human beings.

I don't agree that this is a price to pay in major democracies where people are responsible for their destinations.
    Where is the right of the people who died?

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Lauren--NY

As an alumna of Binghamton U, I want to thank CNN for the compassionate attention that you have paid to this situation.

April 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Letitia

I'm so proud to have a president and first lady who are actually presentable and not an embarrassment on the world stage. Whew! What a relief!!!

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Barbara in Boston

It feels like society is coming unhinged with this latest shooting rampage. Its horrible.

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Dodie from Irvine, CA

There seems to be so much desperation these days... so very sad that the person could not find another way to cope...

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Terri-Ann

I'm getting scared to go outside these days. Too many shootings of innocent people!!

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Nattada, Houston TX

I wish her mother the best. Hope she will be alright.

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I feel so terribly for these victims and their families. That is a good point Anderson made, men are the ones who commit these types of crimes. Has there ever been a shooting like this involving women? I never heard of one.

April 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Michael, Binghamton

thank you so much for your heartfelt concern. Our city is numb by this.

April 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Isabel

@ David Indiana
    A place that aims to help immigrants and refugees; a place that has as objective to do well with so much death, pain, suffering – so sad!

April 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Dulcie - Denver

Evening everyone. Very sad afternoon. I feel like the bad economy is pushing some desperate people over the edge. So sad.

April 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. vanessa from silver spring, MD

My prayers go out to the families and friends of the victims.

April 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Cristy Kirssin

I'm not happy about granting same sex marriages....

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Deb

Good evening Anderson. RE: Binghamton...Can someone please report on the theories as to why, every time there is a massacre like this, the gunman takes his own life? Binghamton is a beautiful town nestled in rolling green hills not far from Cornell University in Ithaca. I am sad this beautiful town will have this stigma now attached to it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Saera El Paso, TX

it's odd (and terrible). it almost seems like the number and frequency of shootings like this are proliferating at a rather alarming rate..

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Maren in Oregon

This is an extraordinay young woman; her mother is very lucky in more ways than one!

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  19. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Maren in Oregon

You make an excellent point! Anumber of commentators have made the same point too.

There has to be a way to identify and/or prevent these selfish killings.

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Jana, Indiana

Why do these people have to kill others and then kill themselves? Why not kill themselves and let the others live?

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Isabel

I've lost count of the number of cases like this that I have seen. What is certain in all cases: all shooters are sick people who need help.

April 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Kathy, Chicago

What a horrible thing to happen to anyone. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

April 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. gill - north of 49

Good evening all, it's tragic to be witnessing (night after night), the impact and consequences of the stress folks find themselves dealing with in these tough times –

April 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. My thoughts and prayers out to the people in Binghamton NY. I understand people being angry and depressed, but I can't comprehend this, why would someone attack innocent people like this?

April 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its so sad and amazing that when one violent event happens its creates a train of other violent events

April 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Wow - sad news out of Binghamton, NY - my prayers go out those involved and the whole community.

It was just a year ago on Valentine's Day that a gunman killed students on the NIU Campus in my community. It's very scary and we often have no idea what motivates these people. The community is still healing.

Life is fragile...appreciate each day.

April 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Sam M.

@Minou
    very good question!

April 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Emma

Unbelievable.......I wonder if they'll ever find out what set him off.

April 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Isabel

What traumatic situation for the mother of this lady ...

April 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Dodie from Irvine, CA

so sad for those individuals in Birmingham...

April 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC 360 team, and all bloggers.

Greeting from the big easy, New Orleans, LA.

Anderson, and the team, I hope you have a good time in London, and have a safe trip home soon.

My heart and preyers go out to the victims and families of the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York today. I can't believe how one people just decided to go out and kill other people like this, no matter how many times I hear the news. It happened too many times I start to lost count.

April 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Barbara in Boston

I am thrilled to hear about the ruling in Iowa striking down the ban on same-sex marriage. I hope it sticks.

I know people have religious beliefs that it is wrong, but I don't share those views at all. I think this is a civil rights issue and that rulings like this are progress towards greater civil liberties for all.

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Maren in Oregon

Somehow, some way we must find a way of identifying these types of killers. The circumstances of the killings are all different, but the story of the killers seems always the same: loner, collect or buy serious weapons; silent, anti-social, depressed. Someone somewhere suspected something was wrong in each case. How do we reach them?

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi Anderson and Richard.

I wonder why so many of these shooting happen during the early part of the year?

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Cristy Kirssin

Sad about the shooting rampage, we keep heaing about these lately...

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, and my friend twitter/Facebook bloggers!!!
    Can’t wait forward this weekend…… Thank god its Friday night!
    my heart breaking for them... so sad for victim's family....... I hope they will find way comfortable and console to heal.

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Isabel

Google maps help a lot ...

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. starr formerly known as vincent

Good Evening Anderson, et al, & fellow bloggers!

Sad story to start Friday with.....very, very sad.

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Letitia

What a horrible introduction to the "American Dream."

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Anthonia-California

Heeey Yall 🙂 TGIF!!
    Geez, i'am so sick of all the killings of innocent lives

April 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Minou, New York City

Can we please finally have a psychologist on a panel who can tell us why it's only men who snap and go on a killing rampage??? This stuff keeps happening. Men do it. This needs to be addressed!

April 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone.

April 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Cristy Kirssin

Hey Anderson! & Tribe,

Yhea!! Anderson's back! Loved the live broacasts from London!!

April 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all my fellow evening conversationalists!

Again so much violence tonight! My heart goes out to the people of Binghamton, my thoughts and prayers are with them!

April 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! Hope you guys are feeling much, much less ill than I. 😉

Really horrible information about the shootings in NY. My thoughts and prayers are with all those effected by the senseless violence.

April 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good evening...

Wow Anderson... what an introduction...

Yes, I heard about N. Korea

April 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Isabel

Hi, Anderson!
    Unfortunately a day so sad in Binghamton.

I give my sympathy to the families of the victims.

Hi bloggers! Hi friends of Twitter and Facebook!

Evening for everyone.

April 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone!

April 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jacqueline, NY

Evening All!

I'd say happy Friday, but it's not. What a horrid, horrid event which took place today, and everyday it seems.

April 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey All. Hey Anderson, Erica, David G, Jack, Richard Quest(who i heard would be on the show again 2night on twitter), twitter/facebook buddies, and the rest of the best bloggers in the world.

So sad to hear about the shooting in NY.

April 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |