April 3rd, 2009

Evening Buzz: Bloodshed in Binghamton

Police say the use of this car to block the back door of the immigration center suggests premeditation.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on AC360°, we'll have breaking details on the deadly shooting in Binghamton, New York. Police say the lone gunman killed at least 13 people before himself at an immigration services center.

Check out the photo. Investigators say the gunman used his car to block the back exit of the center and then entered in the front of the building, where he shot two receptionists.

One was killed. The other pretended to be dead and called 911.

According to police, the gunman then went into a classroom and opened fire again.

Up to 60 people are trapped in the building, dozens hide in the basement boiler room throughout the ordeal.

Who was the gunman? Tonight we have new details as police search his home. We'll have latest information for you.

Also tonight, President Obama and the First Lady continue their European tour. They're visiting France and Germany for a NATO summit. Mr. Obama spoke at a town hall meeting today. We'll have his message to the packed crowd.

Join us for these stories and more starting at 10pm ET.
See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. john rudy

i go to susquehanna valley high school about 5 miles from binghamton. Something like this doesnt seem possible in our town.
    We never look on national news and see ourselves. Its scary.

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Goretti Mugambwa

Dear Mr. Cooper,

First of all I admire your reporting and thank you very much for the work you do and have done in Africa, especially Republic of Congo. I have watched you sometimes with tears in my eyes. Thank you so much.

I work next door to the American Civic Association with the Handicapped children association which is just next door. I have gone to the civic center several times and the receptionists are very lovely women. May the soul of the one departed rest in peace. I know the Executive Direcot/CEO Mr. Andrew J Baranoski – who is very helpful and kind man. Please I would like to know if he is alive. No one has come forward with any names. Please if you know any thing about this gentle man let me know.

All the people who work at the ACA are very kind and excellent citizens. They help immigrants and they go out of their way to explain different things about immigration and naturalization. May their souls res in peace. Amen

Goretti Mugambwa
    Handicapped Children Association of Southern Tier, of Binghamton, NY,

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Mike

The Second Amendment doesn’t work the United States has the highest shooting rate percentage in the world with Argentina second. Over 100,000 shootings a year in the United States. The NRA tells you how law abiding everyone is except for the criminal, but they are wrong how about the average nuthead out there and those with low mentality. They can’t even keep criminals from getting guns and to drug pushing cartels in Mexico. Most American’s squabble with their neighbors because someone is rude and on the edge. This is what you call terrorism with all of the shootings in this country and it will not stop. Like the founder of Singapore said the United States has a problem with guns and drugs

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Angela

I am from the Binghamton area and then lived in 2 other citties for
    9 years. Then I moved back to Binghamton in 2006. You would never
    think something like that would happen here. I would have thought it
    would have happend in the other 2 citties I lived in before I would ever
    think a shooting like that would happen here. Goes to show you that
    it doesn't matter where you live any more. And I just found out he lived very close to us. I asked god to help keep the poeple in the building safe. Sad day in Binghamton NY.

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Lidia

I think the forensic psychologist hit the nail on the head. The gunman had deep issues (obviously). People don't just loose jobs, and then find the only option left for them is to steal, kill friends, family, neighbors, or community members because they feel there is no way out for them. It is disturbing, but not an excuse. The gunman just found a reason to do something so unconscionable. My thoughts, love and well wishes for all that are effected by this tragedy.

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Zack B

Today, was a horrible day. After seeing many of these situations on the news, you never get a feelings of how the people of that community feels. Until the worse happens to your community. Virginia Tech was a very sad day, and i now know how the community feels after a day like that. When i heard about it at school, i didn't think it it was true, i didn't want to believe it. But when i got home i turned on CNN and watched for hours... it's very, disturbing. The way he blocked the back door and the intent of killing so many.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and the families of those who have lost one today. A day Binghamton will never forget, God Bless.

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Marilyn Klaiber, Clifton Park, NY

I live 3 hours from Binghamton. My sister attended U of Binghamton and I had a great time with her there. She worked in the Broome Co. Arena for sporting events. I know a former principal of the HS. My middle daughter attended many softball tournaments there and made friends with the girls there. These girls were very serious about their sport and many went on to college on scholarships. But, off the field, our girls became friends,. This speaks of the type of people of Binghamton. I pray for all these people and my heart breaks for them as they grieve.
    I also want to think about the family of this deranged man as they must be horrified about what their son, brother did to the people of their adopted hometown. We can't blame them for his acts. They will probably face hard days ahead until it is proven that they are not a part of this horrific slaying!

April 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Isabel

Good evening, Maureen Miller!

Sad Friday, huh!

Events like this lead the society to a strong situation of insecurity, terror, anguish.

A place that aims to help immigrants and refugees; a place that has as objective to do well with so much death, pain, suffering – so sad!

President Obama should be the most popular man in the world. All nations clap for him.
    The meeting at the border between France and Germany was a new test for the foreign policy adopted by the government Obama, which has yielded good progress during the passage through London.

The show is almost starting ...

A great weekend for you.

April 3, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  9. Vitaly Thompson

Dear Anderson Cooper,

I love your show. You are a great person. You help a lot of people in the world and in the untied state of american too. FBI STATEMENT REGARDING BINGHAMTON NEW YORK SHOOTING TODAY. 14 PEOPLE ARE DEAD AND THE GUNMAN. OUR THOUGHTS ARE WITH THE VICTIMS OF THIS TRAGEDY. THE FBI WANT TO THANK THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE, BINGHAMTON POLICE DEPARTMENT OFFICE, BROOME COUTY SHERIFF OFFICE, ALBANY FBI FIELD OFFICE, MAYOR OFFICE OF BINGHAMTON, NEW YORK STATE GOVERNOR OFFICE. Why did this happended? Our prays are with all of the family and the gunman family too. We need to stop shooting in american. We need to stop violence in the untied states of american. Keep up the great work. Have a great weekend.

April 3, 2009 at 9:26 pm |