April 2nd, 2009

Michelle Obama’s favorable rating eclipses her husband’s

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/03/30/michelle.obama.trip/art.michelleobama.gi.jpg]

Jeffrey M. Jones
Gallup Poll

Americans have very positive impressions of both President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama. But in the latest Gallup Poll, Mrs. Obama receives a slightly better favorable rating, 72% to 69%.

While the three percentage-point difference between the two favorable ratings is not statistically significant, Michelle Obama's much lower unfavorable ratings compared with the president's (17% vs. 28%) give her the clear edge in public favorability.

bgy1wf

Read more...

Filed under: 360º Follow • Michelle Obama
  1. lampe

Gina: In all fairness to Cindy, what was your views on GWB,? And, as you told Cindy,like it or not he was your President. Did you show him any respect?

April 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  2. Larry

Well, if CNN ever actually gets off its butt and investigates Michelle Obama's dealings with Chicago Hospital and David Axelrod then we might get an intro to her skeletons in the closet.

April 2, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  3. Larry

@Astu Where have you been the past 2 years while the Democrats and their non-taxpaying buddies have been running Congress? Sub-prime mortgages; see Obama's financial advisor for his campaign Penny Pritzker.

April 2, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  4. Gina

@Cindy

You are not a fair or nice person. Nothing that the Obamas do is good enough for you. They are good people. And our President will prove to be what this country needed at this time. Whether you like it or not, he is your President too. You will have a chance to cast your vote in 2012 for your choice. But until then, try to find something positive about this Administration and give them their due. Otherwise, your name on these blogs will always been seen as negative.

April 2, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  5. Angela

According to Rasmussen Reports, 44% of Americans disapprove of Obama. Considering that in Jan the number that "strongly disapprove" was 16% and it is now up to 30% is a significant trend and much more valid than whether America likes Michelle over Barack.

Michelle is a beautiful, smart, powerful, well spoken, and charming woman. She is also not the head of the country.

April 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  6. Mari

@ Cindy....... "Obama's ratings have been in the 50's for weeks"?

Beg to differ, he latest approval rating is .........67% (source Gallup Poll, Feb. 2009)!

That's hardly in the 50's, my dear.

The far-right can't stand the Obamas, fine. We all know that jealousy takes many forms.

ALL First Ladies have been wonderful! Its a tough job being the wife of the President of the United States!

April 2, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  7. Becky

Naturally from what it seems all first ladies seem to have a higher approval rating than that of their husbands.

April 2, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  8. Frances - NYC

For the first time in my adult life – I can honestly say I can not stand the first lady.

April 2, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  9. Neo

I don't agree that Gallup sampled the right audience. This week I was on a hip hop blog (global14.com) for producer Jermaine Dupree and though he was still supportive of Obama he was expressing some questionability as to his intentions in the long run. He feels that if money isn't trickling down to the inner city communities soon that the people in the inner city might retaliate .... in some fashion. To my surprise a lot of people agreed with him. During the campaign Obama receive a lot of support from the hip hop community, if that changed I'm sure that would put his popularity down by about negative -15 to -25%, since the First Lady is NOT out of favor with anyone presently. So Gallup polls are just a small segment of reality, on this one I don't think they were thorough.

April 2, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

First Ladies generally have a higher approval rating because they aren't associated visibly with the legislation and work of the President's office. They do charity work, and advocate causes – both hard to criticize even if you don't like the cause. The only First Lady I remember having bad ratings was Hillary Clinton and I suspect she didn't deserve those ratings.

April 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  11. Sabrina

Not once, have I ever looked up to someone in the spotlight as much I as I do with the First Lady. She is an inspiration to everyone and a wonderful role model to young women.

April 2, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  12. V

Well she's not the one making the touch decisions

April 2, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  13. Audrey TRULL

I think Michelle Obama is a beautiful and warm lady.Together,she and the President compliment each other,however,I think she is more popular.

April 2, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  14. Kandice

For someone to suggest that Michelle Obama secretly runs our country is insane. She is a charismatic woman who has earned the affection of her country, and that is we should hope for from a first lady.

April 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  15. LP in Fla

It's great to see how strong and compassionate our First Lady can be...she represents a "woman's worth" like many other women around the globe...Way to go-M.O.

April 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  16. Mike in NYC

@JC- Los Angeles:

Um, you're not serious about MO being the "brains" behind the scenes, are you? Because that really was one for the late-night comics.

The real brains were Axelrod and Plouffe, and their team of professional politicos. MO was along for the ride. To even suggest she's capable of more than that is beyond ridiculous.

April 2, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  17. Isabel

I sincerely hope the very positive impressions will continue for the next years. To learn, I can only hope.

April 2, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  18. Astu

This is really crazy. They both intelectual. He is trying to help the country with 8 years mess. Everyone is expecting him to clean 8 years mess within 80 day. America where have you been for the last 8 years?

God Bless President Obama.

April 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  19. Cindy

@Mike In NYC..actually Obama's ratings have been in the 50's for a few weeks. That is why he did all of his little television appearances so that he could woo the people back in. His ratings just now went back up. O..and this info came from Gallup themselves.

Cindy..Ga.

April 2, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  20. Sharon L Keyser

This is too precious: I believe your comment is closed for the Thursday picture input, but I have to add this. It is perfect for this picture: "Barrack to Michele: Okay, I go right, right? And you go left, right? Oh no, now you got me confused!"

April 2, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  21. Larry

Just check her body language and you'll know who the 'real' president is. They should do a special episode on her on the tv show Lie To Me.

April 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  22. Fay - California

The First Lady may still have her detractors, but it's good to see that the perception of her as some dangerous, America-hating 'radical' has largely been put to rest as the public has gotten to know who she really is – a strong, intelligent and compassionate woman who cares deeply about her country and family.

April 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  23. Mike in NYC

My money says that neither of their approval ratings will ever dip below sixty percent, no matter how bad things get. It'll be like another law of physics.

Honestly, I look at the two of them and see nothing. I'm just funny that way, I guess.

April 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  24. JC- Los Angeles

Michelle Obama should have a higher approval rating than her husband since she ran his entire campaign flawlessly and he has come off the rails a bit now that he is in Washington and Michelle is no longer in charge.

President Obama is the ultimate face man in a Facebook world while Michelle Obama represents his brain'; Team Obama didn't miss a beat on the campaign trail, first laying waste to the Clintons and then the Republicans.

With a myriad of issues to address and horrifyingly bad cabinet decisions, it's time for President Obama to re-enlist Michelle.

April 2, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Cindy

Actually I could care less about Michelle Obama. I'm tired of all of the gushing over her. She is not the one that is making the decisions that will affect the rest of our futures...her husband is. He is the one everyone should be focused on and grilling. But yet again as during the elections the media tiptoes around him and lets him off easy. I'm actually glad to see people like Ed Henry and others step up to the plate and go against the grain!

Cindy..Ga.

April 2, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  26. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Comparing a husband's popularity to his wife's in popularity---well you might just be making more problems for both of them--and by the way---what is the margin of error on these polls? Slow day at CNN today?

April 2, 2009 at 2:02 pm |