April 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/02/09

Tonight on AC360°, Anderson has a wrap of the G20 summit in London – the hits and misses. See what the world leaders are vowing to do to fix the global economy.

Plus, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the G20 and the indictment of former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cristy Kirssin

The story about Michelle Obama touching the Queen is a little over the top, who cares, really?????? They said there is no "official" protocol and anything goes.

April 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Nate

@ Jack Amen to that!

April 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Anthonia-California

Is the protesting only happing in East London? or throughtout the London streets

April 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Vanessa, El Paso, TX

@Jack..I agree..can we join? we can live blog on twitter..lol

April 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. starr formerly known as vincent

@Erica & Jack, you guys are a hoot!!

April 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

@ Jack – How about a cage fight? 360 needs to find more opportunities for Richard to be on with Anderson. He's hilarious -

April 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Sam M.

Great! Some interviews with actual people from England.
    Some of these protests have a real important msg.

April 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Renee

Reminds me so much of protesters and activists in front of the White House and the lady that lives in a tent in front of the WH.

April 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

In a free society no one should be able to dictate who is allowed to protest and who is not, or what is a just cause and what is not. How do you think we were able to achieve the freedoms we have now?

April 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

David in Indiana says:

I'm divided on this one. I've read articles written by former employees of the IMF. Loans were described as to aid developing countries in commercial development... Oftentimes, results were described as a cash grab for those countries' leaders and havoc wreaked on their environment (for example, one case had a country flash-flood a lush area, which then resulted in the dying flora dramatically raising the pH level of that water basin as it died off... rendering it undrinkable and uninhabitable). And the World Bank... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the world equivalent of the Federal Reserve? Are the IMF and World Bank going to be (at least) as transparent and accountable as the Obama government has been so far?

April 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Vanessa, El Paso, TX

why are these ppl protesting? what are the protesting about?

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Isabel

thousands of protesters took the streets protesting.
    This kind of violent protest weakens any events

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Dodie from Irvine, CA

The British are always so passionate...they love to exercise their freedoms....

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Jack Gray

@Erica Hill: we need to have our own geopolitical summit...over some Pinkberry. way overdue...

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Nate

I have no problem with protesters, it's their first amendment right (or whatever the UK'S equivalent is lol) however it's hypocritical and unproductive to get violent!

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!! that is so horrible I saw people smashed into windows is breaking durning protest.......... Oh my gosh!

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. May-Tennessee

@Erica...I agree on the Thursday thing...tomorrow will be TGIF! Evening Jack...glad you could join us funny guy...lol.

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Maren in Oregon

Timothy Geithner is an interesting – and very important – member of the administation. Someone needs to remind him to speak more slowly. I actually want to hear and understand what he's saying.

April 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  19. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Tim Geithner is sounding more and more confident these days. I think he feels like he has his foot underneath him finally.

April 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Ronda, Michigan

Also the queen knows class when she see it that was to let the world know I really met a first lady who has class and grace. you go queen!

April 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Wearing a bright red tie is not my idea of "dressing down."

April 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson, thank you for the interview with T. Geithner. that's the first time i have ever heard him speak one on one (instead of infront of a congressional panel).

I was glad to hear that there will not be a "Global regulator" (yet...i caught Quest's remarks earlier that it might be coming in the future).

And i continue to belive (from what i saw) that the Queen was fine with the "hugging" as her arm was around Michelle's too. Believe me, if she did not want to be touched...it would not have happened!

April 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Dodie from Irvine, CA

G 20 sounds like they are trying to work with each other... akin to NATO

April 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Michelle

I am becoming a Tim Geithner fan.
    He seems very smart and Anderson
    made him laugh.

April 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. KarenT

The palace actually released a statement that said our First Lady was most gracious and did nothing inappropriate. Those close to the Queen also said they have never seen her respond so warmly to anyone before meeting our First Lady. That speaks volumes considering she has meet 11 previous Presidents!

April 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Isabel

I agree that the largest share of blame for the economic crisis is the US. As the world’s largest economy, we (all countries) are all behind, as suppliers or partners. If US go badly, who with him goes also bad, in general (but this isn’t a rule).

April 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Maren in Oregon

Jack – Richard Qwest probably quibbles under Marquis of Queensbury rules. Ed Henry probably only knows the WWE ones. Why don't you arrange something?

April 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. ericacnn

@Rikki – how are things in your home and your immediate neighborhood?

@Jack Gray – always a better blog with you here!

April 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Nate

I'm glad that this summit is actually effective. I disagree with France on the higher regulatory board, yet praise Sarkozy's comments on how he'd rather have a public dispute, then a false sense of consensus.

April 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Brandi - bottom of the boot

erica,

it is only thursday, but you can join the rest of us smartees who are crying about it. lol

April 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Robin in Tampa, FL

The President's on a role! The G20 was a success, the house passed his budget, and we broke 8000 points.

April 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Saying something and doing it are two different things.

April 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jack and Erica........... I agree more!!!!! They are so good joke each other.

April 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  34. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging. Just wanted to say that I loved the show last night, looking forward eagerly to tonight's coverage.

Yes Anderson, the markets did give and acknowledgment of how well things went at the G-20 for the President, and for the President and First Lady on their first international visit. There was some overlap though of good economic indicators that we've been seeing recently that flowing into this.

Great discussion w you Ed Henry, and Richard Quest, harding hitting. I do feel that given the nervousness and contentiousness we saw going in, that what we've seen coming out is a smashing success.

Very glad to see the G-20 pledge a trillion to IMF and worldbank? and additional monies to help developing countries. I feel this is incredibly important.

April 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Rafael Bronx,NY

@Erica

It's finally Thursday indeed i like when tie flies like this that means the weekend will be here and i sure do need 2 days off to take a rest from school.

April 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Brandi - bottom of the boot

JACK!!! u joined us! yay!

that is a hilarious mental image!

April 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Jim

G-20 sounds like they are setting up a one world government to me.

April 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  38. jacqueline, ny

Hahaha! Jack, you crazy beast. Let there be peace. 🙂

April 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The summit went well; I hear.

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  40. john in shanghai

politics as usual, that sums it all up

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Deb in Toledo

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus...more Richard Quest please!

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening Jack Gray... also nice to see you here in the blog

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Maren in Oregon

"No Republican support" Boy, we've heard that before, and ae probably going to contiue to here it for the next four years.

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey Anderson and Erica and my fellow bloogers. Well today another day in London.

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago

good evening...Hi Erica! How are you?
    I love watching Anderson watching and listening to Richard. He has the look of.." i'm not sure if I fully understand what your talking about with your british accent" 😀 Ed and Anderson listening to Richard talk is hilarious! I wish Richard is a regular at 360!

I'm curious of what happened at the summit meeting and if it would really make a difference for us.

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! AC360 and my friends!So happy to see the cooperation of world leaders at the G20 today! As a race ,inhabiting this earth together,we need to be team players.For the greater good of generations to come. We will all rise or fall together as human beings. So I am happy to see so much willingness to heal the' whole world' problems.

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Boy is that guy ever right! Politics as usual indeed!

April 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. KarenT

Hello all.

New Gallup poll out today. Obama approval rating up again to 69% and Michelle is at 76%!

They sure made us all proud today.

April 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good evening Erica Hill. Always nice to see you here in the blog

April 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica...I hear ya! And I've only been to work 2 days this week because of the flooding here in Fargo!

April 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |