April 2nd, 2009

Anderson interviews Geithner at the G-20 Summit

Program Note: Tune in tonight for more of Anderson's interview with Treasury Secretary Geithner on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

CNN's Anderson Cooper talks to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner at the G-20 Summit in London.

1. Tom Dant

Im not sure if I understand this bailout .
    Congress gives money to the big companies that mispent thier money, which the taxpayes have to pay for,through higher taxes.
    Then these companies turn around and charge us higher prices , to pay back these loans.

Congress tells us the taxpayers will get paid back, but I don't see how.
    Will taxes ever get lower? I think not
    I feel like I'm being charged twice , so something I didn't want in the first place

April 17, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  2. Sherry, N. Calif.

Anderson,
    Anderson,
    Looking forward to this interview. I have to tevo it because of other plans. Have fun in jolly ole London.

Did you hear Palin and the Alaskan GOP is asking Mark Begich to step down in Alaska from his Senate seat so their criminal buddy Stevens can sit there instead? Didn't Palin say on CNBC that it was time for Sen. Stevens to step down?

I think the U.S. is responsible for this mess. We have to worry about our own sovereignty. Dishonest and fraudulant people that are still FREE but TAXPAYERS are paying for the risks they took to satisfy their addiction of "GREED", and our children will have to pay for the balance we leave them. Sad and not very encouraging, no matter how positive I try to be.

April 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  3. Joe G. (Illinois)

Anderson.. I'm not a journalist but here are some questions for you to ask: Can America fail? Is America too big to fail? Is Geithner/Obama Economy Recovery Strategy a Ponzi scheme? When you hear what they have said about it.. How it has been fueled “so far”.. And from whom or where the money has come from/belongs to.. And how “if ever” it will get repaid.. And if repaid, by whom and at what interest/cost.. And about who would possibly benefit from it “if ever” in the short run.. I say “yes”.. It is a Ponzi scheme. But then if Obama and Geithner get bigger fish from the G 20 to bite into it then I guess it must not be a Ponzi scheme. Did the G 20 take a bite?

April 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  4. Diane N.

Looking forward to the rest of the interview. Race to the top? That is not a very positive statement, it sounds pushy. (is a little worried...) kinda stunned by that frankly.

April 2, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson!!
    Awesome question, I am forwarding watch you tonight I can't wait!!!!! You have been busy all day and visit on the tour in London!!! See you on program tonight...... Thanks for coverage summit G-20 for us to watch you...... Richard Quest made me laugh so much, he is so funny, have lot of humor. I can't wait Richard just kidding you, Anderson! Have a fun in London! See you tonight on program!

April 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm |
  6. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, after seeing this, it seems to me he's more comfortable talking one-on-one than in public; maybe that explains his (perceived) lack of presentation skills. Or maybe he'll be more comfortable as time goes on. Anyway, we can't underestimate the fact that he's an important person in our country and in this summit. A huge part of me wants to believe in him and support him.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

April 2, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  7. b.

Hi Anderson, just a thought, when you look at people intently and ask serious questions, do they get intimidated by you? Hopefully you are taking time to enjoy over there and also get some new color shirts! Maybe an orange and a dark pink??? 🙂 Just kidding, have a big head, can’t help it…

About the iPod, mmmmm, when someone has everything or a lot of stuff, always, always good to stay away from gadgets… it never works out so great. Something personable, something written maybe, a few words, words are powerful and can be meaningful, they could have inscribed their pic. in the corner, they could have even have the girls write something and inscribed their pic. I know no one asked for my opinion…

April 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  8. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

Hi Anderson, you arrange some good interviews with the top brass–now I anticipate your meeting with the Queen over tea, crumpets, and clotted cream. You might ask if she thinks Mrs. Obama was too familiar.

April 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  9. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

I don't think the US is totally to blame... I truly think we are in a global world. Hey, a big chunk of those AIG bonuses were paid to people in other countries who were not Americans. At least I think that was the case.

Looking forward to the complete interview tonight.

April 2, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  10. Paulo

Senate leaders have devised a strategy to use a bill that had already passed the House - H.R. 146, a proposal to protect Revolutionary War battlefields - and strip its contents, replacing it with the "Ominous Spending" lands bill.

Because the House already passed H.R. 146, the Rules Committee can approve a closed rule that would block a motion to recommit, eliminating the GOP's best procedural chance to stymie the bill. The chamber would only need a simple majority vote to concur with the Senate amendment.

What kind of politics is this?? We pay their salaries and they lie to us.

April 2, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

The European Union should like the concession of Geithner that we bear some responsibility for the worldwide economic mess. Hopefully, they won't disagree with the second part of his postulate – that we all share responsibility – after all, we didn't ask them to jump off a cliff with us especially since most of us hadn't realized we had jumped ourselves.In the race to the top I hope the US gets there and that we don't end up on the bottom....for those who are willing to work, want to work, and will work hard there should be good jobs no matter what country you live in.

April 2, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  12. Cindy

Looking forward to seeing the whole interview. Hopefully Anderson got some tougher questions in than those few!

Cindy..Ga.

April 2, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  13. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

Excellent quesstion, Anderson. Look forward to the entire interview tonight. Hope you throw in more Richard Quest. He is informative and downright hilarious as well.

April 2, 2009 at 6:17 pm |