March 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/27/09

Tonight on AC360°, Anderson is continuing our special coverage on the "War Next Door". He's still along the U.S.-Mexico border reporting on the drug violence. We think this is an important story that need to be told. Thousands of people have been killed. Tonight, Anderson gives us a look at the gruesome reality of this battle. He reports on a mass grave that's been found in Juarez. Plus, we track how the cartels get their drugs here into the U.S. Do you think American drug users share the blame for the drug war? Some have made that accusation. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cherry B - Ms

Mr. Foreman, thanks for the great info about the cartels. I don't think most people know about this. If this is supposed to be such a huge threat to the US, is it not past time for our govenment to use our military? I know we're spread thin, but this is right on our doorstep.

March 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Casey Jones,

Thank you for your post on Rikki, really appreciate it.

I hope that the remaining population of Fargo will avoid major devistation.

March 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm impressed that CNN knows all this information about these different cartels.

I wonder if the masked informant that AC has interviewed is a cartel plant, to boost their posturing, and scare the general public. Nobody, including Anderson, could possibly know if this guy is telling the truth.

March 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson, thank you for the awareness. Please be careful.

March 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Cassandra

A lot of my Hispanic students are still skipping 2 or 3 weeks from school to go to Mexico. They don't seem to be afraid, and they're not mentioning the "war".

March 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Yes, all large cities across the US

March 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Apparently it doesn't take much to get your killed in Mexico - even music.

March 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Maria

Even if there is electricity in the fence, they will make their way

March 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Cassandra

No one wants to make waves or start a panic, that is why it is not being dealt with. very sad

March 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Gayle McCauley.....I'd do everything to try to re-direct your niece from Mexico (to Palm Springs) for her vacation. I know that's a knee-jerk reaction, but I'd rather be safe than take a chance. We're getting spring breakers again (after 20+ years).

March 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Greg, Austin Tx

Here's an option nobody ever mentions. It certainly wouldn't pass, but what if drug possession penalties were dramatically increased? Sure, more prisons would have to be built. However, fear of severe jail time could significantly reduce demand. With reduced demand, supply reductions would follow, resulting in overall cost savings due to the decrease in "war on drugs" funding.

March 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Lori from IL

Guess we'll never know, but I often wonder what Afghanistan would look like today - had we kept our focus (and the support of most of the international community) and troops there rather than waging the war in Iraq.

Glad to see President Obama is redirecting the focus and reaching out for Pakistan's help.

March 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

@ Nattada I wish I could help them build levees with sandbags too. Don't know how I'd get up there right now, though.

March 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Lauren--NY

@Casey Jones: Thank you *so* much for the news with regard to Rikki's welfare. That is a giant relief! 🙂

March 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. La Mujer

I remember all those musicians being killed in Mexico. I didn't know they were killed because they were singing about the drug cartels.

March 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Maureen T, Canada

Hey Andy, didn't you ever get an invite to the Spelling house?! 🙂

March 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Nattada, Houston TX

I think she is a little crazy to try to sell her house for 150 million dollars now. And I think that somebody out there will be even more crazy to surprize us and buy it.

March 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Rob Rivera - El Paso, TX

I understand the square in front of the Cartel guy to cover his mouth...but what about his eyes and his voice? Those eyes seem very distinct and I think I'd recognize that voice. I assume it's not being disguised.

March 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. May-Tennessee

Evening Anderson, 360 Team/Crew, and all Bloggers! My prayers go out to Rikki and everyone in Fargo...I hope everyone will be ok. Anderson and crew please be safe. The interview with the cartel member was really something. We are living in very frightening and unusual times.

March 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Cassandra

@ Casey & La Mujer

I teach at a high school in Dallas. It's nearly 70% Hispanic. No one is talking about this very much. We're not dealing with any type of "unusual" drug and/or killing activities here.

March 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Maria

I think the price will drop to 100M

March 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Isabel (Brazil)

Will it sell?

March 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Beautiful home

March 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. La Mujer

Maybe Anderson will buy that mansion.

March 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Brandi (et al)...Rikki from Fargo, ND has been posting on other sites today and moved out of Fargo to a relative's place, waiting for the crest in the flooding to pass. Hallelujah.

March 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Lauren--NY

Fantastic to see Peter Bergen again.

March 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Cherry B - Ms

I don't know the rest of you feel, but I agree wth what the President is trying to do with Afganistan and Pakistan. Past policies have certainly not helped and I believe they're going in the right direction, at least for now

March 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. starr formerly known as vincent

I'm concerned about our war in Afganistan. History has proven that no one yet has defeated the mountain regions, even Alexander the Great.

It will take dedicated assistance from Pakistan to even conceive of winning this war and there has been no inidcation that they are capable or willing to help us.

March 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

Isabel, I think people are that insensitive, "without love of neighbor" as you said out of ignorance, but also because they are mislead, and as the cartel member said threatened and intimidated. In other words, I think love for your neighbor is the deepest truest part of our souls

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. DARRELL A, KLANTE

Anderson, Just wanted to say you are the MAN for telling it like it is! I am ready to defend America on the Texas-Mexico boarder. Well armed and ready to travel just tell me where help is needed!

Darrell

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Victor

If you americans would stop taking drugs like candies none of the mexican people or even us here would be worried about the attrocities seen there. If americans continue with the demand of drugs you will se it comming also here in America as well just be on the look out.

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. ana from texas

I feel so sad for the country of mexico. Its a war that can't be won. To much demand for drugs.

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass

Greetings to All!Another night of grusome honesty, Thank you. we need to see this.My niece is going to Mexico in a few weeks and needless to say I am worried a bout her safety.She will be on a resort and behave herself ,so I anticipate she will be unharmed.Rikki in N.Dakota wanted to say thanks to all of her friends for their kind thoughts and well wishes.And to those who don't know her, she is truly touched by your concern.A small word can touch a heart deeply.

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Lauren--NY

It is incredible to see Americans come together when these horrid things happen. Bless them all.

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There have been bodies, drugs, and weapons recovered. Where is the ruler?

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Stephen Webb

Sounds like a "Fantasy Island" located in "90210" etc.

In early 1991, Spelling bought the home and 6-acre (24,000 m2) lot of Bing Crosby's former Los Angeles house.[6] He demolished the property, and built a 123-room home for the cost of USD $47,000,000, named "The Manor", which has 56,500 square feet (5,250 m2) of floor space and is the largest single-family dwelling in Hollywood (34°4'23"N 118°25'41"W).[7]

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. ANGELA

so it's ok to run a red light and maybe kill a car full of people, if somebody is dying that you know at the hospital?

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

These interviews have opened my eyes to how some people are basically forced to join the cartels (join or we kill you/your family) and then probably, basically become numb to the violence as a coping mechanism.

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Rafael Bronx,NY

@Randi

Hey Randi great to be blooging with you here tonight and yes i did enjoy the Mexican coverage, but back to the house on the market i do belive it will sell. Theirs hundreds of rich people who may want to buy a big house like this and will prob pay more than that price range.

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening everyone.

The scene of rolls and rolls of the graves ready for the victims is unreal and sad. And that the families of the victims may not even know they were already gone is sader.

I wish I could help Fargo resident building that sand bag walls. My thoughts go to them and wish them well.

March 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  41. vicky

thats sad,,,,,,,i think as long the demand for drugs is there the situation cant get better...............................

March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Maureen T, Canada

My heart goes out to the evacuees in North Dakota! How wonderful that folks are working together. Yes, that's right Anderson, neighbours helping neighbours! It sometimes takes a tragedy for the good to come out in others!

March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Cassandra, I'm sure the "war" is already in Dallas, and further.

March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. La Mujer

I read about that story. The nurses at the hospital even came out to get the man because his mother-in-law was going to die soon and the cop still wouldn't let him go!

March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleepless in Germany.Thank god its friday,and at least your last day at the Mexican border.Thank you for your good work telling and showing us the truth from this area.Take care,a good trip back home.
    A verry good weekend for you,and your good team ,take same rest.you desirve it.

March 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Brian Tourville

The brutal nature of the drug cartel killings is indicative of an off the chart
    level of Meth Amphetamine induced Psychosis.

Saw a Las Vegas PD – TV show said it takes a medical team one week to bring down a person who'd been on Meth for 4 days straight.

Meth Amphetamine is 'Speed' & 'Speed Kills' .

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. La Mujer

This is really scary. I live in northern Texas. I sure hope this “war” doesn’t make its way to the Dallas area.

You mean it hasn't already? I thought there was a lot of drug activity there.

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Cristina

The coverage is great but only covers those topics which are already well known. Living down in the Rio Grand Valley of South Texas, the violence level is incredibly high however, although it is affecting the economy and our citizens, life continues to run normally on this side of the border

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Shelly

Here are my thoughts...I think AC is a smart man. He can see the issues. It is not going away. I read the comment on fighting over turf, as I see it, the turf they are fighting over is the US, where they deliver. The only point I want to stress is HOW can they make something illegal that grows from the ground, they believe in GOD and that god put the plants and trees in this world, right? IT is what we choose to do with them, Marijuana is obviously a valuable medicine. America needs to wake up and Legalize it. IT is not a gateway drug, as people claim, I and many others I know, ONLY smoke for pain relief, no desire to do other drugs, give me a break, I graduated college, take care of my family, but I medically have osteomyelitis and it is a life saver.

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i sincerely hope those in ND fare well throughout this disaster. it is so wonderful and refreshing to see the community come together to overcome.

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |