March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. latreca

I feel he did a wonderful job explaning what he was doing to help regular people. I feel that things are on there way to getting better.

March 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  2. kay, tx

The problem with Roland Martin's response is, it was Congress that gave AIG the authority to run amuck. Congress chose not to regulate Wall Street and further more, write their own rules of governance.

March 24, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  3. johnkingcnn

@john .. as someone who has been to iraq several times i assure you i meant no such thing.
    in fact to the contrary. i found it stunning he was not asked at all about them.

March 24, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  4. ALI VELSHI, CNN CHIEF BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT

Hey folks great to be with you tonight. This was my first time and you were all very gentle! Look forward to being with you again.

March 24, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  5. Hannah

I think President Obama needs to answer the press's questions more fully, instead of just stressing the same points. Our country cannot be left in the dark any longer, we need answers, solutions, and the truth.

March 24, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  6. Rose from NY

The President's agenda is overly ambitious. I'd much rather he get a few things right...than spread himself too thin, and get everything wrong. I still cannot wrap my head around the trillions being spent.

March 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  7. R. Bradshaw

Ed Henry's question was a "got ya" question which set Ed up for the very appropriate response he received. You need to ask questions leading into the future, not plowing the past. Ed Henry will learn an approach that takes the listener into the future, This takes more time and research than regurgitating old information. Mr. Henry will learn the new approach or he will go away.
    A devoted client , but not to be a captive of CNN.
    REB

March 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  8. Michael

So, he is giving the money back to the people and telling us to be responsible with it!

March 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  9. Janel

I do not know how he can continue to separate all the issues he has to think about, deal with and find solutions for and still make us believe in him and his administration. However, because he has a ton of issues that came with the job, and I voted for him because I believed he could solve most of them (in time) and therefore YES! he CAN separate them and find solutions. It just will not be how we all think it should be done. I still love President Obama and he will go down in history as being one of the best.

March 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  10. Leigh Johnson

What ever happened to the promise in his campaign that he was going to go through everything line by line and cut out the pork. Why does no one bring that up?

March 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  11. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I think the proof that we need to work on our education system is the fight going on within the president's cabinets about the budget. I think that some of them aren't getting the point that one-onehundreth of a percent is major...

March 24, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  12. Lori from IL

Ed Henry - where were you the last 8 years when billions of dollars were being spent on an unnecessary war? Apparently many on the Hill have suddenly taken a different view of spending because thier guy is no longer in the White House.

And Wolf - didn't President Bush leave us with a 1 trillion dollar deficit? So if we spend all this on the economy, have better health care, better schools and better energy - without raising the deficit - bravo - let's do it!

March 24, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  13. Carlos Miranda

I believe that for an administration that has been active for a little over 60 days, a lot of steps have been taken to shape the future of this economy. Whether these steps are right or wrong, I am not sure. What I do know is that many individuals are quick to judge, which is expected, but lets make sure that the judgments come with solutions and not just for personal gain.

March 24, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  14. harol

does anyone believe their will be an answer to the immigration problem any time soon

March 24, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  15. gennie

I don't recall who asked the question about the fact that the President says the budget addresses reducing the deficit and reflects that (I think he said) the first 5 years but then the reporter said that after for 6 yrs in a row it that it goes "up up up". Why is that?

March 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  16. Sam M.

The president's sluggish attitude, or "tiredness", took away from him coming across confident. despite the fact he said he was confident.

March 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Don't worry Ed we understand and respect where you were going with your questioning. Obama should be able to tell the American people how he is going to pay for all these programs and promises and the media is obligated to keep asking him.

March 24, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  18. Tiffany

What are the alternate budget? What do they suggest we do?

March 24, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  19. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

See, I was right. POTUS was cranky and a bit snapish with Ed. Glad I am not the only one to notice. Did not think he really answered Ed, either.

March 24, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  20. mike bivins

Regardless on how much people want to criticize President Obama he's still a 1000% more open then former president Bush.

March 24, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

@ Todd - I believe a flat tax would be worse for those in the higher tax brackets - because I believe a flat tax gets rid of deductions and we all know that those in the higher tax brackets have many more deductions than the lower and middle class.

March 24, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  22. Gary

President Obama indicated that careful review and thought went into his response to the AIG Bonus contraversary. Too bad members of congress aren't as interested in thought processes as they are sound bites. Had they done their job last fall instead of hurrying back to the campaign trail we might have had good legislation and avoided the problem

March 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  23. Ray Patel, San Diego CA

It seems to me this is a big gamble; we may come out with more strength or we will be bankrupt for sure.

Ray patel

March 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  24. Jishnu

I agree with ROLAND completely.....Unfortunatly it seems very new for Washington and Media about the notion that you should only focus on only one thing at a time...

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  25. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I'm glad that Ebony got to ask a question. That's nice to see.

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  26. Susan

I thought the press conference was a repeat of his previous speeches. It was so boring that I was surfing the internet. The only thing I got out of it was the middle class was going to be taxed because the tax cuts aren't in the budget.

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  27. Laura L.

Does the president even try to keep up with what he says from day to day? When he actually does say anything of substance, it is usually contradicting something he said a day or two earlier. Is he honest about anything? All he does is try to shift the blame when his budget will increase the debt more than all the presidents before him combined! I'd have more respect for him if he'd just admit what his secret agenda is and be done with it. He is such a narcisist and I'm tired of listening to him talk about nothing!

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  28. Isabel

The tone of the speech was serious (or dry), but the situation demanded it …

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  29. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Maureen- of course the answers are broad-based, not very many reporters asked narrowed down questions.

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  30. Maria

I think the goverment can overcome the embryonic stem cell moral issue by defining the age of the embryo, less than 5 weeks.

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  31. Nicole; Plano, TX

Would have been nice to hear about education.

March 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  32. KimZ

He was totally in "transmit-mode" again tonight. Getting lectured by a guy who has never had a real job is getting really old!

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  33. Migdalia

I really like the fact that Obama is trying to keep us inform and give us the oportunity to know what is going on in washington...

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Cap and trade would hurt everyone.

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  35. Matt Chambers

As the director of a new humanitarian aid project working in Uganda, and dependent solely on charitable contributions, I am incredibly disappointed in the president's stand on reducing deductions for contributions.

He himself has never given more than 6.1% of his own income to charity, so it doesn't effect him nearly as much as it effects groups and individuals who give much higher amounts of money.

We are just starting out, and already donors have been raising concerns about this issue to us.

I know he thinks if it's truly charitable, they'll give anyway, but incentive is a powerful tool. If the government truly wants to help those in need, they won't go through with this ridiculous new step.

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  36. Jishnu

Ali you are always concerned about Wall Sreet....We are NOT

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  37. Lori from IL

@ Alvin - he is campaigning - not for the presidency, but for his policies. That's what a president is supposed to do!

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  38. Todd

@ Kerry Your targeting unfairness of deductions to charity, you forgot to mention the higher tax brackets for higher income. Is that fair? How about a flat tax for fairness then – I fail to see fairness in the more you make the higher the % you get to pay in as a patriot

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  39. Isabel

Excellent initiative of AC360, the liveblog ...
    I had asked for facebook, but here was much better!

Thanks!

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  40. John

John King – It is sad that you clearly feel it was good that our fighting men & women along with their purpose was virtually ignored tonight. So sad.

March 24, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  41. Kathy

AIG...enough. When will the news and others question how the government managed to vote for themselves a pay increase with tax payer money! ? The constant message has been....bonuses for AIG for poor performance! Hello Congress....all I that has occurred for several weeks in congress has been poor performance. And you gave yourselves a pay raise. Shame on you! Your increases could have been used by many unemployed Americans. Congress needs to stop making reationary decisions...and THINK!!! And the President needs to stop campaigning and start embracing the role he so wanted!

March 24, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  42. Jishnu

Reason is he is not scaring the people by keeping the focus on Terrorism and take off focus from all other issues which brought this country to such a mess...Again we all must acknowledge the depth of knowledge about all topics he was talking..I really like his attitude o taking every single probable which may be new to American people

March 24, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  43. Sam M.

i'm glad Stars and Stripes got a question.

March 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  44. Maureen - NC

Nothing new! Same old campaign type beating around the bush for me. I heard quite a bit of broad based answers and not many specifics.

March 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  45. Norman Council

Great job in the press conference. Relaxed, confident, informed.

I love this guys presentation!

March 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  46. tomcnn

and so another presidential presser goes into the history books...got to get busy on some material for later, and of course my Letter to the President for tomorrow's blog. thanks all...enjoyed your comments

March 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  47. Sheila

How refreshing to have an intelligent articulate president who is worth watching!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

John King, I wonder what the families of our military thought about that omission.

March 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

@ Ali - let's hope so - I'm tired of the "anger!"

Yeah, Rahm on Larry King!

March 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  50. Sharon from CA

I think one thing has become very clear, we must all manage our expectations and reamain optimistic. We temd to expect immediate results – not realistic or helpful. Criticism is fine, if one can offer an alternative. Else, it just comes across as negativity. I admire Obama's courage and stregnth. This is not an easy problem to solve.

March 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm |