March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. andre

There needs to be more conversation about education. Orange county in Florida 240 million dollar budget cut on education! That's what we need to be talking about! How about we really invest in something worth kepping like our children?

March 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  2. Lloyd

What a waste of time. I haven't learned anything and have not heard an answer to a question yet. I don't think Obama has a clue about any issue he has been asked about tonight. We are in trouble!

March 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  3. adrienne ford

Didn't Obama say he wouldn't be an idealogue concerning stem cell research? He took a cheap shot at Bush when over turning the ban. Is Obama's position clear or is he pandering to those who see it as morally or ethically wrong? I can't tell.

March 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  4. Michelle

Mr. Foreman I read that about Bernanke as well.
    That means he knows the factors that will permit
    us from making the same mistakes.

March 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  5. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

@ John – Thanks for pointing that out. I was keeping score as well. Love the fact that POTUS is really spreading the wealth and taking questions for all facets of the media. I do not believe I have ever seen that before. It is refreshing. Just took a question from Agence France+Presse.

March 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  6. kay, tx

@ Cyndi, as long as there are citizens who have issues with race, race will continue to be an issue. it has to be addressed.

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  7. Eric

We will never fix the problem in Israel, we can just hope to manage it...but I know we can't spend any money on it!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  8. Donna

In our "instant gratification" society, where we are used to getting what we want at the push of a button, it seems that many people are wanting to see what will happen with the administration's economic policy RIGHT NOW. I doubt that we will see huge movement in just days, and I wish people could be a little more patient with the President.

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  9. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

wow, the Palestine and Israel conflict? My answer: It's a religious war, there was a thing called the crusades and that took hundreds of years to stop......I'm afraid this will be a long time too...

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  10. Rayray

What does the President mean when he said that upper class claims 39% of $100 and lower class claims 29% of $100?

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  11. May-Tennessee

@Jack Gray lol...you're probably right...Ali surely has staff that takes care of all that. Just as well...you don't need to be anywhere near chocolate buster...you're sugar free now...lol

March 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  12. Liz

I find it amusing to have a president who can dissect and explain the physiology of & the pathologic problems affecting our economy downs to its cellular level. I keep on thinking- "what would have Bush said if he was asked.."
    Regarding the issue on homeless american children-this is very very sad. We funded 2 wars costing its tax payers a huge deficit, but we couldnt provide a basic and essential need to its own citizens.
    Regarding the issue on race- I'm sure it's never spoken, but it had certainly come into the minds of quite a number of white house "exclusive elite old-boys-club- a disbelief that they are debating (and lost to) an African American President.

March 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  13. johnkingcnn

we have gone 50 mins without hearing these words that defined the bush administration: bin laden, al qaeda, iraq, iran, afghanistan .... wow what a change .....

and now at the end, agence france press asks an israeli palestinian question ...

what a sea change .......

March 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  14. Vicky, TN

I am so glad Obama brings up having ethics and morals…if more people had them, we wouldnt be in this mess to begin with.

March 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  15. Jose Flores Houston, TX

I'm wondering if this conversation has been had by all in this blog. Why not give a 'stimulus' to those people who have paid their mortgatges on time for the last.... lest say 10 years and pay the remainder of their mortgage off. It would cost less and stimulate the economy in that we would put that money back in to the 'system'. I've heard all over town. Why can't Washington hear us?

March 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  16. Sam M.

I wish the washington times started out with that question instead of using it as his follow up.

March 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  17. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Excellent question on stem cell research! I think a big part of the reason that we haven't seen a lot of progress with Embryonic Stem Cell research is because we haven't been able to do a lot of the research due to restrictions...and that was an excellent answer! I agree whole-heartedly with everything that he just said! Kudos to the President!

March 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  18. Rich

Why are we paying so much to these useless compinies......bailouts should be OVER!!!! You idiots have bailed out wall street and what has it done .........NOTHING!!! Why dont you give the taxpayers there money back.......you could have given every man and women somewhere around 250k per person for less than 100 billion and that would have stimulated the economy right away!! WAKE UP!!!! foreclosers........payed off.....building homes........do it now ......buying everything.........go ahead economy fixed.........you people in washington need to wake up or give it up!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  19. Esma

Here's what I wish happened:
    Q: "Can I ask you about race?"
    A: "No."

March 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  20. Vicky, TN

I am so gaald Obama brings up having eithics and morals...if more people had them, we wouldnt be in this mess to begin with.

March 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  21. LW

Cindy, Why do you think they are so easy on President of Obama. You have people critizing him from day one. He has not been in office 100 days and you go people Rush L. Shawn Hannity yourself ready to get rid of home. He has done a wonderful job in my book. It probably going to take 8 years this Country out of the mess its in.

22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Ashley – Harsh! Yeah, I did find it rather amusing that after called, she then asked permission to proceed. Maybe she was just flustered.

23. tomcnn

@ lori – bernanke is a great student of the Great Depression and I've spent a good deal of time reading both his speeches and papers on it. that said, however, many of the problems of the great depression were greatly expanded by the long delay in any reaction from the government, so the relatively quick reaction this time may change the formula. and premature efforts to control spending have been blamed for extending economic down times before.

24. johnkingcnn

he is making interesting choices in who he calls in - in addition to the "predictables" like the tv networks, he has called on univision, stars & stripes, the conservative washington times, ebony and the legendary ann compton of abc radio ..as well as politico (mike allen is one of the hardest workers in the business and a great guy) ...

25. Lori from IL

@ Jo Ann, I didn't mean Ed Henry's question wasn't important - I liked President Obama's "I like to know what I'm talking about" reply. This is a refreshing change from the last 8 years -

26. Terry

These questions are preplanned .Why can't we have a true q&a

27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Thanks Hill. I wasn't even aware that there was a live blog on until someone alerted me! I nearly had a panic attack!

Velshi, if we drop down to having chocolate currency, you might as well eat it...we're probably too far gone to be saved at that point.

28. vanessa from silver spring, MD

"Can I ask u about race?" WHAT!. POTUS should have said no. It would have been funny to see her reaction.

29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Kelly, If he had done that he wouldn't have voted for TARP or made the thoughtless Special Olympics comment.

30. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I heard on the internets that there is a possibility of getting stem cells from prison inmates. Is this true or just fallacy?

31. Miranda

Mr. king

I agree with you most questions have been lackluster in performance.They are either over thought, not clued in, or afraid to ask the tough questions that would result on them not being called.

Miranda

32. John Meyer

Obama wants strong moral guidelines? I wonder if he notices anything immoral about indebting our children with rediculous spending plans.

33. Alan

I heard that the benefits for unemployment raised from $12,000 a year to $25,400 a year in New York, while a person who makes a min. wage for a year is $23,000.00 a year. So my question is why people would want to work if unemployment benefits pays more. Can some one explain to me? Am I missing something?

March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  34. Vanessa, TX

@Jack..you can give him all those chocolate bars you had stashed in your desk, since you've given up on sugar..ji ji

March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  35. Chris

@ Sally, I was under the impression that your Gov. was not taking the stimulus money that might would have saved those schools, if that is the case shouldn't be asking the Gov. of Fl about that one

March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  36. Cyndi

Please, enough about race!! It's done and been talked about to death!! He's just like the rest of us, your blood, my blood, and his blood all run red! We all need to just get past the race issue, PLEASE!

March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  37. Kathye in texas

Yah, on President Obamas answer on the race question... the question on stem cell research was wonderful, it is nice to see how he feels morally on this question.

March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Race may not "come up" during the discussions, but it is most certainly always the "pink elephant" in the room.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  39. Eric

Race is not an issue in the problems of the Country and a black President does not erase the race inequalities...however I am still very proud

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  40. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

That is an excellent point. People have seemed to back off the race issue, thankfully. It does not have anything to do with how the man deals with the economic meltdown. That was interesting.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  41. Migdalia

What race had to do with anything??????hello there is more important things to discusss...great answer Mr.President....Go Obama!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  42. Cheryll Lawand

President Obama's slogan was, "line by line" when he spoke of bringing change to Washington. Why was this stimulus package signed prior to everyone having the chance to read the bill. What happened to his promise and slogan..."line by line"?

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  43. Presley

It may be a bit tame tonight but I enjoy President Obama anyway and WOW ABC Radio, what kind of question is that?

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  44. kay, tx

the dems being in control of congress is a bogus arguement. without an overriding majority no one has control. if they'd had control, the bush tax cuts for the wealthy would've been revoked two years ago.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  45. D. Jacinto

Jasmine, they are merely going through the motions.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  46. May-Tennessee

Good answer from POTUS on the question of race.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  47. Nicole; Plano, TX

@Jasmine -Yes. Did she just ask that? OMG Obama's black? No way.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  48. Stacy

@John King: At least no one has asked about A-Rod.

March 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

@ Nicole, I agree - if people are only making charitable contributions only for the tax break, then they are not truly charitable.

March 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  50. Sam M.

What order are the reporters called? I haven't heard from WSJ yet.

March 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm |