March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. Vicky, TN

what??? the dollar is strong right now??

March 24, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  2. Karen

Why hasn't the government orchestrated an organized dismantling of AIG and other monopolistic corporations (formed against anti-trust laws) into smaller, competitive corporations? There would be a risk in only several of them failing, rather than the whole system.

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  3. Chris

he may have got under his skin but he was taught, a wise man thinks before he speaks and a fool speaks before he thinks. There a a lot of fools out here in America.

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  4. kelly

Good for ed henry holding obama's feet to the fire about AIG. Think the presient didn't like the question.

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  5. Lori from IL

@ Tom Foreman - interesting question - but Ben Bernanke gave an excellent interview on "another news show" a couple of weeks ago that explained how the contraction of spending and credit extended the great depression and that's why the current actions are being taken by the Federal Reserve and the current administration.

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

O.K so we have described the problems now what are the solutions?

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  7. johnkingcnn

im not so thrilled with the questions tonight ... sometimes – and i was guilty of it, too, when i worked there – i think the reporters think too much in advance and dont react to what he is saying - and not saying - and move things along with pointed follow ups to things he hasnt answered from the earlier questions .......

March 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  8. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love the President's answer just now. Ed got his answer.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  9. David Copeland

PLEASE!!!! enough of blaming the deficit on health care...the deficit is caused by SPENDING MONEY WE DO NO HAVE!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  10. Kathye in texas

Will he ever acknowledge he is making the deficit larger and larger and may also spike inflation? He can't deliver everything to everyone.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  11. Cindy

@ Jack...yeah...sure...right!! If Ed would have been all snarky and funny I'd say yeah but he was just too good with that question to believe you taught him that smoothness!

Cindy..Ga.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  12. Michelle

I agree with Tom Friedman. The POTUS has
    to stay above the fray. Ed Henry is wrong. I
    for one do not want an angry president. I want
    someone who is pragmatic. Bad decisions are
    made in anger.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  13. ALI VELSHI, CNN CHIEF BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT

I have a red foil-covered chocolate coin next to me at the desk. Gloria Borger suspects it may be our next legal currency. Which saddens me, because I really wanted to eat the chocolate.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  14. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

Jack – you are a mess. Just saying.:P

Ed rocked that question and the follow up. I must say that POTUS seemed to get a tad defensive with Ed. That is when you know you struck home.

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  15. Maureen - NC

Ed will not be on the chosen list next time!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Whoa, think Ed just officially crossed the line (in a good way) with that follow-up!

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  17. mike

Ed got under his skin!

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  18. Eric

think before you speak we all can use that insight, maybe he should have talked to the pervious President

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  19. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Obama's response to Ed's question about reaction time....almost sounded....rude. uh oh....

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  20. Shel

Yes, Obama! I think Ed got his answer

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  21. Nicole in TX

Good answer. Imagine, a president who knows what he's talking about!! Talk about change.

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  22. John Meyer

He created a fiscal responsibility summitt... how ironic considering the rediculous spending he has saddled us with.

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  23. Jayenncee

Yes Obama the right answer

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  24. Jack Gray

Ed just made the White House's poop list. Good for him.

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  25. Wes

The private sector is better at investments in new technologies while reducing costs. The government doesn't know what it takes to do both. This president needs to learn how to stay out of the marketplace and let capitalism advance technology as the consumer demands it.

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  26. Sam M.

also good that ed henry is giving the president eye contact during the answer.

glad to hear a global question.

March 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hope Ed has his taxes in order! I love it!

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  28. Cindy

LOVED Ed's question!! They won't call on him for a while though! LOL

Cindy..Ga.

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  29. Lori from IL

Why wouldn't President Obama keep bringing up that the previous administration doubled the national debt (for an unpopular war) and no one seemed outraged - when he keeps getting hammered for trying to spend money to ensure our future economic stability.

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  30. Jack Gray

fyi, I taught Ed Henry everything he knows. just a little known fact:

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  31. tomcnn

one of the problems with reducing cost is the mirror image of the stimulus bill: if spending more money creates jobs and that helps the economy, reducing spending will almost certainly cost some other jobs...albeit perhaps in area where we ought to save money...but again it leaves us asking how does the economy keep recovering in this yin and yang of spending and cost containment?

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  32. Jose Flores Houston, TX

I thought only Republicans used scare tactics. Guess not.

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  33. Daniel

I agree with President Obama. We need to invest in the future, and that means energy, education, and health care. But what about manufacturing? Is America no longer in that business?

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  34. May-Tennessee

Indeed we must spend in order to stimulate...it will take time to recover...I just woner in the meantime how much damage we will suffer in the process. The face of foreclosure is still rearing it's ugly head all over the country for one thing.

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  35. Esma

Go Ed Henry!!! You even got Obama to smile (finally)!!!

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  36. Rose

When people say a plan will not work than I feel they should be willing to provide alernate plan to resolve US issues.

Times are tough and I am tired of hearing negativity ....I feel what I can do is to think positive and to have patience ....

I am positive that things will turn around if I do my best to be creative and work hard.

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, I certainly hope not!

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  38. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Go, Ed Henry! Just gave me yet another reason to love CNN.

March 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  39. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Jack, Ed is awesome! Excellent question! No surprise he's had the most provocative question of the evening!...though we might be a little biased?

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  40. Eric

I pay way to much in taxes and a bailout is to stop a business from going out of business not to sustain a standard of living

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  41. Vanessa, TX

Darn that Ed...you go Ed! So authoritative..straight to the point, poise..CNN ROCKS! really!

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  42. mike

isn't cuomo the appropriate guy to go after wall street?

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  43. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

Go ED!!! Asking the tough questions. Relating it to POTUS's own kids...so smart.

Love that he mentioned the past administration too. Sweet.

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  44. Jose Flores Houston, TX

God Bless that man who just asked that question. Great question! I'm sure he needs to watch his back when he leaves the conference. Was that on the script?

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  45. Chris

if it were easy everyone in this blog would have fixed it already!

March 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  46. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Good job Ed Henry! kill two birds with one stone! 😀

March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

@ Jack - you are shameless for plugging 360 - but we love you anyway. I'm really looking forward to Anderson's reporting from the boarder for a couple of nights. This is a hot topic - big articles in the Chicago Trib everyday now. Glad to see President Obama is recognizing and beginning to address this problem. Too bad it wasn't adressed years ago before it got so bad. Guess the previous administration was too busy looking overseas and forgot "next door."

March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  48. Lori, CA

Hopefully, as the troops are returned home, I expect some of the costs of the war are diverted directly into the VA – specifically hospital care. The system needs work.

March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  49. Migdalia

I agree we need to invest in education and health care

March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  50. scraw

Rose I agree...but what is difficult-the american public need immediate satisfaction (they are like gamblers)-I don't think they know how to look 10 years ahead...
    I think 8 years of doing nothing has become the norm.

March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm |