March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. La Mujer

goodnight John King – thanks for joining us

March 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. MIke L

What is the reconciliation process that is being referred to? It seems, if I understand it, that it is a way to get what you want without debate.

Why does the House want to pass the entire budget on one vote?

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Tim

It seems clear that he is trying to break the mold. Leno, blackberry, basketall games, internet., talking to the people, etc.. He is the first president in decades that is only a few years removed from a modest income and life style. This connection and his charisma will fix this country. He's using the people to build support. If he has the country, he has the congress. He thinks big, talks big and aspires to achieve more then any previous president. If he achieves half of what he wants, we all win. How refreshing.

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. damon.bara

Forget dem. or rep. forget the race lets see something that affects us fix health care wich i agree will take years, but what about our jobs?

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Serge

It is unfortunate that it doesn’t matter how President Obama answers a question, stand, move his lips, holds a pen, and communicates with people he will be criticized by people who created this problem in the first place. The fact is in order to grow a business you must cut and spend. The government in my opinion is like a business. You must eliminate things that don’t work and spend money on essential things that may not show immediate results but will have long-term positive effects. The energy ideas, health care and education are critical items to address. Energy particularly will stop moneys from leaving the country to purchase oil.

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Miriam C

"Cut on spending" – My 2 cents, spend on the right things – spend on things you want to enjoy – dont over spend and then sit and say 'cut on spending' – I hope all of us learn to live/enjoy the things around us, but lets do it with accountability....

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Clarence, Dallas Tx

It sounds to me that some people have a proble with fixing Health Care and Education as President Obama wants to do saying it adds too much to the budget and we pass this cost on to our children

Well I say its worth it and also if our children do get a better education and better healthcare then they will have better jobs and better health to be able to pay for it , its a win win if you ask me

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Annie

As a Canadian I think he did a great Job.As for Ed Henry's question about AIG I think he gave the right answer and it's time for us to move on and focus on economy. At least this president takes the effort to learn about things before he talks about it unlike Bush.

Ann

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Claudia

I think the president explained how the everything ties together and how important each initiative is key for the long term growth

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Kris

Could you please give us some idea about what the deficit was during the past 10 years when the money spent on iraq and afghanistan are included?

March 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  11. steve123

@Tom, the fact that DC doesn't respond to change should not preclude the President from trying to change the way the business is done. We are Americans!

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. La Mujer

thanks for joining us tonite… sorry ive been crazy busy.. but great conversation

crazy busy eh? isn't that the best kind of busy?

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good night John King! Have a safe flight! Thank you for all of your insight this evening! It is always great to hear from you!

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Marigan

Let's please not grade our President on his first 60 days in office. Let's weigh out his first term like we do every other Commander in Chief.

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

@Jack–I think the President is humanizing his position by appearing in many ways–he's reaching out to as many different personalities as he can. He has a flexable personality which is what makes him so likeable.

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Isabel

I like when the President said for each of us looks beyond our own short-term

This makes me think a lot

March 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Walt

Alex is right. President Obama uses certain words like Um, Aah, and Look, consistently. The first two are when he's searching and articulating, and he uses "Look" when he's being aggressive and/or condescending.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Susan

He is doing a great job under tremendous pressure from all directions. Can't we even give the man 100 days before we have a full on attack? Incidently, Ed Henry gets the gold star for pushing President Obama to the point of "I'm done with your question Ed".

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Lauren--NY

John King, travel safely.

@ Mike in Syracuse, some of us probably disagree on the definition of "accomplishment." For example, I consider the lifting of the ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research an accomplishment. You may not.

Yes, he's spending more money, but he's spending it on the right things, as opposed to certain presidents and their useless wars.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Just talk" so that he doesn't have to answer any direct or difficult questions.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Jacqueline, NY

Good point Mr. Johns.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Kathy, MD

Why can't David Gergen get his own show?
    He is the only mediator that gives constructive comments and understand what the viewers want to hear.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. La Mujer

I think its always exciting when Anderson Cooper and John King join the conversation.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Lori from IL

Thanks, John King, for blogging with us tonight and sharing your insights. Looking forward to your show on Sunday.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Paula,GA

He keeps saying, going to cut budget in half. The question to you guys, what will he be taking out of the Budget. with all the IOUs' in the Social security Box. When are they going to start paying back Social Security. With all the other Debt which Bonds will they buy back first? Which companies stay in business? Since you guys was the Cheer Squad, I expect you to have The Day And Date -we all start having better Days!! Ask Paul, then the kady of the panel, then just PASS IT .AROUND,

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. K1

Mike Syracuse, NY
    @Nancy, what exactly do you think Obama has already accomplished other than to spend more money in 64 days than Bush did in a year?

Mike,

Were you paying attention? I believe Obama explained his reasons tonight, simple and straight forward... Do nothing and we all end up on crap street.

March 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Vanessa from Silver Spring...I agree! I love seeing him so often! I love how much he is attempted to bring the office of the Presidency to the average American!

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight, John. Good to chat with you, as always.

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Edward

As the years have passed many have become increasingly annoyed at republicans determination to be a "fly in the milk" Finally it appears that all of America is fed up with the people who are apparently more interested in political gain then for the welfare of the country. "Country First" Yea Right

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Fabian

This President is giving a clear narritive more than any other has done in the .past..

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Bea

Wow, where were these fact-checkers when Bush was president! We coulda used 'em.

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Carmella

Bye John, love ya man

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Sam M.

thanks John King.

enjoyed the tag cloud and great panel tonite.

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. S. Hayes

I think Obama is stressed out. There is so much mess to fix, he is trying to do to much to soon. He is under alot of pressure, and I think it was smart of him to say he likes to know what hes talking about, at least he does give a straight answer on most all things you ask him. I dont think he was wrong for answering that reporter the way he did. I dont think he was being cocky, I do think he may have been frustrated and he let it show a bit. What do you expect?

35. Miranda

Tom Foreman

I love you too...put up or shut up...Im in a lot of pain yet you made me laugh...it was worth it.

Miranda

36. MICHIGAN

I think that he is doing an excellent job so far. He appears to be as honest as he can be. He answere questions in debt according to only the few minutes he has. He is addressing every single area. He is "working". it feels good to finally have a President and especially as smart as he is! He is funny & compassionate too. He is only trying to straighten out the bad work BUSH did.

37. tanrah43

That why we elected him because he is FOR THE PEOPLE. He is in a catch 22 postion ,he's criticized for being overly exposed and criticized for not fixing everything in 64 days give me a break. You media pundits need to shut your pie wholes your opinons don't count any way we didnot elect you.

38. Isabel

Great conversation ... many experts! 🙂

39. Bridget, TX

One thing I love about the president press conferences( other than hearing and seeing the president) is that I get to see all my favorites, David G, Roland M., Paul B., Gloria B, and today we had Ali V. John F. and Joe J. it can't get any better than this.

40. Ann

The last time I looked, Pres.Obama was human. We let George Bush have 8 years to get us into this mess, but the media is only giving Pres.Obama 60+ days to get us out of it. What is wrong with that picture?

41. Srini

Ed Henry is wrong to persist on AIG when most of the bonus is being returned and even Senate is not moving forward with the vote. President Obama is right to get angry.

42. Craig, Raleigh NC

This obsession of what time the President got angry over the AIG bonuses is absolutely silly. We care what happens to the bonuses, not what day the President got angry.

43. Cristy Kirssin

Hi Anderson! I'm glad Obama is working on building positive relations with Iran.

44. Vanessa, TX

Hey Anderson..just want to wish you again...good luck in your trip..be safe
    You guys have been doing a good job on reporting of the press conference.

45. MIke L

Why has the President chosen to reform healthcare through the budget process without enlisting open debate in Congress? Is there something hidden that should be revealed?

46. Jeremiah

I think what people dont know yet is the last 1-44 president did all this that exit n shuld not look for anybody else to blame rather they shuld be grateful somebody is there trying to fix

47. Marty

I thought the response to Ed was appropriate...so much of where we have come from has all been reactionary; which is not always the best leader. Wouldn't we prefer someone who has his facts straight before shooting his mouth off? It only makes sense to me...

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Nancy from Ohio

I am disappointed that President Obama was evasive or short with several reporters. I am concerned that non-profits will suffer greatly. I still don't know his read on China holding a large percentage of US securities. I think his projections re the costs of his programs are low and the ensuing debt could prove disastrous . I am a moderate who is questioning why I voted for him.

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. johnkingcnn

great and respectful discussion tonight. enjoyed hanging out.
    i will be signing off soon for the night; early flight to missouri for some reporting on the economy impact out in the states.

will be interesting to watch the budget debate in congress this week and please dont get bored by the term. the budget has the math that decides how much there is to spend on health care and education, and the pentagon and so on. ... and how big the deficit it. it can seem a "process" debate - but it matters to you.
    take care everyone .....

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Carmella

This Press Conference was so good you don't hear anyone talking about American Idol.

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |