March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

You're forgiven Anderson, be safe out there on the Mexican border, you always make us anxiously nervous when you're out in the field.

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. xtina, chicago IL

Anderson , why o why doesn't a reporter ask Obama point blank about the Democratic Congress forcing banks to give loans to people with no income, no jobs and no assets. IMO that is what caused the mortgage problems we now face

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Maren

Anderson

Over-exposed! Bring this President on. Cut him some slack – people need to listen, understand the severity of this and see that US will come through this – and with credibility back and intact! Great program as always.

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Ken

War on Drugs!!!! look North to Vancouver Canada, gang shootings way up because of Mexico's drug lords, Not just south of the border but all of North America.!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Julie Ottawa, Canada

I felt that what President Obama was trying to convey to Ed Helms was that a President should act upon what he knows rather than react before he has all the facts. How soon we forget the consequences of reacting emotionally in haste, just ask McCain where it got him.

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Sherry

I think President Obama's speech was awesome. He has displayed the ability to multi task with everything on his plate and to speak to the American people. Some of his critics have stated that he needs to concentrate only on the economy but they don't get it - everything affects the economy! President Obama gets it!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Sandy-Juneau, AK

I wish Ali and other economists could talk more about those receiving annuity payments and what is the possibility of those companies failing and people losing their retirement monthly income....very little is said about that.

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Sam M.

I think Ed's question was great and hope it aids in keeping the administration on edge. Yes, the president may have been curt but I didn't expect any other response. It was an appropriate response.

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. kedrick winfield

Obama is doing us a great service by keeping America updated, period. Begin to become knowledgeable any you'll soon see that what you know is what the gov't is ready for you to know... from there the media twists the subject matter into whatever makes a controversial story. So... Cartels, National Security, Economic Turmoil, Future Education?.. if there were quick fixes who would need an administration? But i'm pretty sure you all need a break when your computer's running slow at your desk.......

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Tom

Best info of the entire hour. The exaggerated GDP numbers of the past were explained in an offhand comment by Obama....financial shenanigans artificially raised the GDP (certainly wasn't manufacturing jobs that had moved to Taiwan).

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. azeez

People, this guy has only been in the office for only 60+ days... They needs time to fix this BIG problem; these problems are over four decades in the making… Alright!

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Ronald R Martin

What a hard hard job Mr. President has. Would not want it in a million years. I'm proud he's in charge and control. I wish him and his team nothing but the best. I'm know and feel he's in touch with us small people.

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Mike Syracuse, NY

Just because the President wants to move on from AIG it doesn't mean a free press and the public need to snap to attention. As so many of you libs pointed out the last 8 years, dissent is patriotic.

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Jean

Thqnk you Alli for noting that expanded regulation would have prevented a lot of the AIG mess!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. aileen

Give Obama a Break he has been in 64 days this took 8 republican years to get here . He has done more for the country than anyone. Let him do his job then critisize him all this does is make his work harder but then that is purposely done by people who do not want us to succeed!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, he was on the money.

March 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. craig

the President has had a mountain of crapp dumped on him and his teams,and he has done more 60 days than bush ever did, in his 8 years of the mess he left us,this President at least has the guts to admit nothing is perfect, so we as AMERICAN'S need to give this man a break,,he has got the toughest job in the world he deserves our support,stop picking the man apart

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Rob&Shirley

Pres. Obama appeared on point and did not seem flustered nor angry. Questions were asked an answered!

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Vickie

I felt President Obama did a excellent job tonight. It is so refreshing to have a President that can complete a sentence. In regards to Ed Henry's question, I did not see any anger displayed by the President.. I feel the media is once again trying to undermind the American people. Where is the Republican's plan? They need to stop criticizing the President and do what they was elected to do and that's to help turn this country around.

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Sharon

As I listen to everything about what is being done about the Mexican cartels, I think that we have to take into consideration the demand at the local level. Our drug laws need to be enforced in our own communities, thereby reducing the demand for drugs to flow into our country. As long as there is a demand here, people are going to find ways to supply it.

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Tim, Gainesville

I am tired of hearing about the AIG bonuses, I mean the company had a contract to provide those and we were essentially bailing out the company. Unless we want the government to start running private businesses. Enough already. And, if AIG is too big too fail, then that is exactly why we should have let them fail. Business should be regulated such that no one gets "too big too fail."

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. andersoncnn

thanks for joining us tonite... sorry ive been crazy busy.. but great conversation

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Harry

President Obama is the most intelligent and capable President we have had in a long time. He has the most serious problems confronting any president since FDR in 1933, and he is doing a very good job considering the tremendous challenges he is facing. His programs are to help the majority of American people not just the rich. He needs time and the patience and support of the people and the press to implement his agenda which is extremely ambitious to say the least. I like the way he is emphasizing values which have made this country great, such as discipline, hard work, persistence, responsibility, and accountability.

Harry

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Tamara

Hello AC, I am confused I thought President Obama clearly stated throughout the entire campaign that the road to recovery will take time. What do you think America would rather see happen at this point?

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Ricky Skiles

The economy is up and running when the 18 wheelers are up and running. The economy is in the tank and I see no jobs being created except beuracratic Bull! When there is nothing being manufactured or built we sit, ask the president to get the trucks moving. We need manufacturing not more goverment sitting on there tush and bleeding the real workers dry !

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Sonmi - South Carolina

For an inexperience young president, he sure is learning fast.
    can anyone out there say I can be a better president with better ideas
    right now? I voted for Obama and he is doing better than I though he would do. what a surprise.

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Martha A. Ward

The President's speech this evening was terrific. I have total confidence in his administration and the strategies they are employing. Yes, there have been a few bumps in the road as there always are and guess what there will be more however we are heading in the right direction in order to accomplish the goals and objectiives he has set for this country to get out of this mess.
    John King is on the right track even if the President gets 80% of what he asks the Congress for – and it hopefully works, it will go down in history as a success." It really is very simple – you always ask for more than what you want to get what you need."

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Bridget, TX

I don't think the president is overexposed, because everyone I know of all ages and races spend hours surfing the net and television to get a glimpse of the POTUS and FLOTUS. However, I do believe he needs to take a break from the cameras for at least a month to settle into his new job. Maybe when he travels for the big EC, we won't be on our screens. I'm going to mess him of course, but hey I'm all for what's best for the president.

March 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Esma

I agree with Paul (and his "While You Were Out" metaphor), and David (of course!), because, these problems that we are encountering now have been festering for decades, whether it's the economy or Middle East peace, so yes, we need to stick with him and not let our gnat-like attention spans write him off.
    I think the reason he's becoming overexposed is b/c all the other Cabinet members have not been well-received, and until they are, he needs to stand in their place until the public can get a better feel for them.

March 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. wendee albany oregon

I commend our president for taking a true and authentic conern about the middle class in his attempt to balance out our classes. Our country has turned into a very rich or very poor societies with the middle class turning into the latter. His 64 days in office have made me believe in our country again, that there is hope for all citizens and not just the elite. I wonder if the senate and congress are so worried about taking on multiple tasks all at one time, because they'll actually have to start working for their very high saleries.

March 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Sylvia

I just want to wish the President all the best in trying to get this country back on track, i feel like everyone is coming down on him for the mess this country is in, whatever happens ,did not happen overnight and i have yet to see anyone else coming up with any solution to solve this problem, all i see and hear is lots of criticsm, they are also saying he is trying to do too many things at the same, if not, then nothing will ever get done and this would be a continuos problem.....People..... Rome was not built in a day!!! Mr President just keep on doing what you doing..... much respect!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mary – Asheville, Obama should have had "the facts" about that by now.

March 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Dulcie - Denver

Paul Begala nailed it on our attention span problem. We live in an age where everything is instantaneously available. This is going to take time and I understood that from the beginning. Personally, I'm pleased to have a president with the long view. We've lived too long with short term answers to long term problem. Look where it's gotten us.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Sam M.

I think the president is borderline overexposed. Its great that he reaches out and connects in a unique way, however its too much at one time.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Dama Hanks

Firstly, President Obama didn't get angry in my view. Ed should stop congratulating himself- President Obama answered his "thorny" question, to my satisfaction anyway. What silly posturing by some of the pundits- does anyone ever evaluate all their predictions and comments in light of what actually happens??

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

Obama can't take the pressure of real questions. Wonder how he'd act if the press actually did their jobs and asked tough questions of him every day. Wonder how Obama would act if they treated him like they did Pres. Bush.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

Gasp! Cooper, did you just call one of the best tv show in the history of tv , CHEEZY? Ah, ah, ah... I am speechless. How dare you.

Please tell me you were NOT referring to Extreme make over Home Edition.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Sandy-Juneau, AK

I am amazed that Alex even mentioned one term. I'd like to know exactly what the President said or did that made Alex come up with that ridiculous statement. Isnt this only 60 days into this Presidency? Its so obvious its coming from sour-grapes Repubs because they lost and want this Pres to fail. Great way of thinking if you want the economy and all Americans to lose. I'll show me.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Lee in Minnesota

Alex is still threading water while the Bush Titanic is still sinking. It is about time he put on an Obama life saver.

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. allyssa

I think President Obama is doing a great job, what we need is patience there is a big mess to clean up and to do so money has to be spent, I say if anyone else can think of a better way to handle this situation throw your hat in the ring next election because there will still be more of Bush's crap to clean up

March 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. chris

the republicans dont seem intrested in getting rid of or fixing the problems they are all jocking for a spot in the next sweepstake
    the election that is

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Mark Chrisenberry

Is it just me or does Obama always seem to validate the decisions he makes by providing a long list of supporters? I voted for Obama because I wanted his leadership and the fact that he finds the need to validate the decisions he's made makes me wonder how confident he is himself?

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Sharon fr Princeton

Ed Henry is a Senior correspondent for a reason – he did exactly what he gets paid to do – and does a great job at it. Obama was not dodging.

There was no allowable legal recourse for the AIG bonuses as they were already in place prior to bailout help…Why bring up and blow up a problem that their hands were tied up to deal with?

That's enough reason for me for the delayed reaction from the Executive branch. On to the next issue....

Which part of “AIG cannot fail” do people not understand? AIG is intrinsically connected to very core of the financial system. The federal govt was going to give them the bailout money bonuses on the contract or not.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  44. christie drury

I think president Obama, was answering the question on Aig. he was in an his most honest way. Why cant it be the answer he gave, is simply the way he feels when dealing with the issue at hand in his own words . I always like to know all the facts before i think and speak about a subject that is so inportant to everyone.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Jessica

I very much enjoy David Gergen, he's very intelligent and knowledgeable.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. GPryor

It is remarkable that we have a President that is able to balance and handle multiple situations at one time and still be husband, father, friend and family member. Is he overexposed? No, I don't think so – finally there is someone out there serious about "main street." It's about time! Let's applaud him and not knock him.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Cristy Kirssin

I think the President is close to being overexposed. First, lay the foundation and build the economy, then weave public appearences in his schedule while the economy is going up.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Malik

A reporter asked the president why it took two days for him to express disdain over the AIG bonuses that were alloted. The conservative outrage about his terse response is deeply misplaced. First, the president didn't appear angry. Secondly, who cares if the president's response was not immediate? The reporter should have simply asked whether it is consistent for him to express outrage over the bonuses when his own treasury secretary injected language into the bill that allowed them. This would have engendered a conversation, not a laconic response, which was miscontrued as angry.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Miranda

Anderson...

It was great to see you laugh Anderson...Paul Begala again I love you...aspire to a network newscast...

Miranda

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Lamar

One thing I can say about President Obama, at least he's honest about the current situation facing the nation. Ed Henry said President Obama was dodging questions about AIG; perhaps there's information the [media] doesn't need to run wild with, blow out of proportion and upset people and create more panic among the nation.

March 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |