March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. Will

Anderson, I would get agitated at horse that has been beat constantly to death over and over again. I wish the current obsession over the AIG bonuses was around when the previous administration gave out big bailouts with no accountability. Because AIG had to be accountable we know about the bonuses. Anyone that thinks those banks taking bailouts last year didn't give out big end of year bonuses is brain washing themselves. The pro's and con's of transparency.

March 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  2. william robinson

hello everyone
    where were you guys when bush was screwing up this country,lieing about the war in iraq. all the lives lost .president obama only been in office 64 days

March 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  3. xtina, chicago IL

Obama wants to give Washington more power in a lot of areas, and wants government to "take over" several private sectors entities. This is not good.

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Charmaine

We all need to step back and give his ideas a chance to work!

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Jamie H.

I think Obama's exchange with Ed Henry demonstrates his impatience with the media continuing to beat a dead horse. I wonder what Ed was looking for. An apology for not blurting out an angry response to AIG a few days early? Would that have really made a difference in the discussion on this topic?

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Kelley in Vegas

I get so tired of the media trying to read President Obama's gestures. He probably responded to Ed in that manner because it was a dumb question. I'm irritated at the fact that the question implies that he is not concerned or angry over AIG..The man has a lot going on..couldn't Ed have asked a more relevant question..?

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. vijay malik

President Obama already took blame on himself about AIG Bonus Payout. Ed Henry was being cheeky as he has always been. President did the right thing by displaying his anger a bit and sending a message to all that let's move on. There are more pressing issues to report.

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Angel Manners

Americans have had more feedback from Obama in the past few months than we have seen from Bush in the few years as president

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Christine

@John King's earlier post: Yes it is truly amazing that Obama did not utilize Bush's favorite words i.e. terrorists, al qaeda, Iraq..

But when do you think Obama will speak out about his plans regarding the war?

March 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Michael

Look I watched the speech tonight and I am confident that President Obama will do as he set out to do. He will work to no end to get this country back on track. I'm a veteran of the war on terror and feel that he is on track with veteran care. Look take a step back and understand that he has only been in office for what 64 days. Look Rome was not built in a day. Let him do his job. Who was the last President who showed real concern for the American people?

11. Don, WA

Ed Henry does'nt pull punches and asked what most people want to hear – I thought it was great.
    Alex is talking of a "hint" of anger as a sign of a one-termer? No, president Obama is one of the calm one's of the planet.

12. Isabel

The question now is whether anyone will want to buy the toxic assets, although the government has created good conditions for this, with funding from the FDIC.

13. Esma

Is the Treasury Dept. asking for temporary control or permanent of these companies?

14. Cameron

C'mon Anderson. Clearly it was Ed Henry that was being testy. I sensed humor when he made the comment.

15. Will

The media sounds like me when I voted for him with hope of the miracle the next day. Please get it right, it took time and time to result to this crisis (8 Bush years) and will take time to get out of it.

Keep up the good work Obama!

16. Kevin

Why is there such an affinity to determine the timing of the AIG language protecting those executive bonuses? Whether the Administration came out two days earlier or later is irrelevant. The truth is the American outrage would be much greater if federal funds were withheld and AIG were to fail.

17. xtina, chicago IL

Obama's admin. seems to be about giving more and more power to the federal government . That should disturb us greatly !

18. Cathy from Rhode Island

Does anyone think that maybe some Democrats are raising issue with Obama's budget proposals just in case that if it does not work out , these Dems can come back and say, "See, I told ya so!" And by the way, wasn't Bush also criticized for his fuzzy math???

19. Sharon S

@John King, I don't see where the President has so far kept any of the promises that he made during his campaigne as a matter of fact he seems to be doing a worse job then I thought he would!

20. Brenda Casey

I think they should give President Obama a chance, he has only begun, It is great that he is talking to the American people. I have heard more from President Obama in 64 days than I did the former president the whole eight years he was in office. Leave him alone and let him do his job. Also with Henry–President Obama is an intelligent man, thinks before he speaks.

21. Craig

What's the big deal about expressing anger over AIG on Monday versus the previous Friday?

22. Jane

For once, the president didnt spent the whole time talking about the last 8 years, he is starting to create his own record by which he is now being judged.

23. Debra

The President is trying to do too much, Spending on what he wants in the budget does not feel comfortable to me right now. I am getting an uneasy feeling that he is not placing priority on the economy and is more interested in passing his policies. Is he in over his head?

Debra

24. Dawn

why don't they give the president a chance. The last president did not get grilled like this no one was asking important questions like they are asking now. People just want the president to fail and he wont because the people believe he will take us through these issues.

25. Russ

I thought Obama was thorough, focused and clear in his responses tonight. He is also someone who is intelligent and articulate.

As for Ed Henry's question, it was intended to be a "gotcha" and Obama didn't fall for the trap. We are better for having a President who gets the facts rather than shooting from the hip as our former president used to do.

26. Regena

A one term president? Come on! What is it with Republicans when they lose an election? They can't get over it! MY Gawd! Obama has ONLY been in offce less than the 100 days we promised to give him and already Repubs are saying he's a "one term President". Give me a break! FDR didn't even have these kind of problems as President during the Depression. Obama is using the same Keynes economic methods that FDR used but you never heard FDR being accused of being a Socialist! Stop player-hating. Either come up with something he can work with or stop complaining!

27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, I agree! They look to the future only when it is not beneficial to them to look to the past.

28. Cessy, Chicago

Go! Ed Henry! Why not ask the really important questions at the right time, right? It seems that the President easily get pissed off when pressed for questions that puts him on the spot. hey! didnt he sign up for the job?

29. Lambwe Munyama

this is most criticised US President ever. Give the man a chance he inherited this mess dont forget that.

30. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

You are so right John, no Bush words tonight–refreshing change

31. Margie

Hey Anderson,
    I had a GOOD laugh when Paul B. said,"& let's relect Barack O'bama
    for another 4 yrs!!!"

Thanks sooo very much!!!!!

32. Lisa

I continue to be concerned about the President’s reliance on autocratic terms – I think, I did, I want. He sounds as though he is still running for office! I wonder how other world leaders will respond to his style.

33. Isabel

@ Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

then we are two ... I too would like to know that myself.

34. Penny

Let's be fair to all on the Ed Henry question and answer. When he asked the question, he did so in an accusatory manor. He fired the first shot, and I think President Obama lobbed an appropriate reply.

35. Barrett

Ed Henry your question was answered short and direct... Angry? I think not. Are you reporting or creating drama?

36. Michael

Why didn't Pres. Obama want to answer questions about AIG? Easy because their guy (Geithner) ultimately approved the bonuses with the passage of the "stimulus" package. This administration is going to bankrupt this country.

37. Frank, West Des Moines, IA

I agree with Paul. Obama is only 64 days into his presidency. If at the end of 4 years the economy really tanks then guess what, we get to blame him....that's the price you pay for being President. However, if it was McCain or the easter bunny who took office they would have inherited this mess as well. So PLEASE, stop pointing fingers at each other! Wake up and smell the coffee people. Let's get to work!!

38. xtina, chicago IL

interesting that Obama was questioned about homelessness and talked about the government coming up w/ a solution, right after the quest. about stopping charitable donations tax deduction. Strange. Private citizens may give less so "big brother" can give more?

39. Kathy

Come on Ed Henry - you asked a good question but more importantly, knowing when to say enough is smart too. Admit it - you pushed too far! And this $7 to $9 trillion dollar budget deficit you keep referring to is a staggering number but then the cost of doing nothing will be significantly higher. People need to remember that the great depression wasn't beaten back until we started incurring huge deficits on World War II military spending.

40. Marigan

President Obama grows more on me everyday... just gotta say I miss Hillary though

41. Becki of NY

Sorry to change the subject but Michael Jackson is going to be discussed tonight on AC and does anyone remember that tomorrow is his 50th birthday? maybe he is cleaning out his closets for a fresh start for the second half of his life......

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Carmella

Can someone please tell me who got angry????. You have played his response to Ed Henry several times, he did not raise his voice, his response was very calm yet concise. Stop trying to make him out as being angry.

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Frank Cammalleri

Kudos to Obama, I'm Canadian and he's doing a phenomonal job on the road to recovery!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. chris Campbell

What is wrong with the President wanting to know the facts before he speaks. You are digging deeper in a story that isn't there. I like a President that thinks before he speaks. What a refreshing difference from W. Why aren't you supporting his reply to the question?

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Joe

Alex hit the ball out of the park.All bagala and Gurgen could do was neverously giggle

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Judy M.

Excellent job. The president was knowledgable in all areas addressed. President Obama is not a one term president. He is the best the office ever had...

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Hiren

I think Ed Henry had every right to ask the President that AIG question, but I would not criticize the President to much on the returning answer. He has been in office for 60+ days, to even pass judgment that quickly is not only unfair but pre-mature.

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. chris and yolanda

we will follow this president anywhere

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Tom

Alex, 1 term after 60+ days? Spin, baby, spin!

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

Hi everyone, can't believe the blog was going on this whole time. No way I can catch up w/ everything right now, so just going to jump in. I thought the President kept on it like he needs to on the economy and the subject matter seemed to open up in some ways compared to the previous press conf.

Ed Henry's question was a good hardball question, but I feel if you're going to ask about the legal complexites, add that element explicitly to the question.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |