March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. Karla S

Obama's statement, "It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak"....to me this was refreshing and totally encapsulates what this president is all about. In the age of texting, twittering, facebook, and instant messaging...it is imperative that our president NOT just react but act in a thoughtful and intelligent manner. Introspection requires time! Two days? what's wrong with two days? why are your guests so critical about something that they should be viewing as an asset, the willingness to think things through?!

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Christine

I'm glad to watch today because all we've been watching is AIG & this was a refreshing break from the monotony. It is only 60 days afterall & all that we've inherited from the republicans.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Rafael Bronx,NY

The president only has over 60 days at the white house and i do believe that hes doing his job. Which is to keep this country running and to help our nation in this hard time. Sure there is AIG a company making the nation worst but the president wants to move on and make better decision to save this country from going thought something like this ever again.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Mary Kay Virginia Beach

Can we give the AIG issue a rest? I'd rather hear about the plan rather than watch a reporter needle the president on an issue that doesn't impact my wallet.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Isabel

@ John King

The liveblog and discussion are excellent – makes us think and have other views

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Dianne: Paducah

I love Paul bagala, I love his comments, I watch Anderson 360 after watching Larry King because of Paul. Thank you Paul

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Bridget, TX

I love Paul Begala, he always nail it.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The president should never get angry about any legitimate question and Ed's question was legitimate. Just because he couldn't answer it doesn't mean Ed shouldn't have asked it.

Ed it the best!

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Leslie Benthien

Give this man a break! To say he is a "one-term" President because he had a slight tone of impatience in his voice tonight is ridiculous! Just like saying he is against special needs individuals because of his comment on Jay Leno the other night. At least this President is trying to clean up this economic mess and at least he is communicating with the American public unlike President Bush. Could any of us fix this mess???? Not likely!! I'd like to see this country support him and show a little patience. Nothing, nothing will happen overnight. I get mad at the media for making such a big deal over small things as well.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Dulcie - Denver

@Michelle, I agree, I'm tired of AIG. I learned something long ago – the big guys have long stacked the deck in their favor and it's extremely difficult to plug all the holes. It happens and in the big scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket.

Alex thinks Pres. Obama is a one-term president? Just because of a tiny flash of anger? I thought it looked very human and understandable. Something like that won't put me off. I suspect he's going to have plenty more to get angry about.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Richard

If President Obama fixes the Economy or the Economy recovers soundly in four years, and he doesn't fix everything, (i.e. the irag war, education etc..) the President will be reelected. If he doesn't fix the economy or it gets worst, and he fixes everything else, he will be a one term President.

March 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Kira

I don't feel that the president is a one term president. His comment about AIG was explained well and sorry if someones feeling got hurt in the process of why he didn't come out soon enough about it, but he is the president and he needs to be strong and stand behind his decisions, right or wrong!

13. Jim

Clearly, the President was short with Ed Henry because he asked another Ed Henry question, which consisted of not one or two questions but eight. Mr. Henry got the response he asked for.

14. Rita

Pres. Obama is precisely what this country needs at this time. He is articulate, confident, and knowlegeable. Hooray for him!

15. Brian

Weather his choices be right or wrong, good or bad, no one can predict the future. What all of us know is that reform is long overdue in this country. In this long road to recovery he will make mistakes... true, but I don't know anybody that can say they haven't. The true test will be his ability to learn and adapt to the circumstances around him then act accordingly.

16. Rosario Herrera

I think the President Obama did great given all the things he has to deal with, AIG bonuses should not blind the american people with what the President wants us to focus the budget! He has already made enough comments about how mad he is and how he understands we feel.
    I stand by him that we need to focus on this issues because if we dont this will take us to worst times.

17. scraw

So beating a dead horse with the aig bonuses is productive?

Ed Henry is REALLY giving himself TOO much credit.

18. Carmen from Phoenix

It was obvious the President was going to drive home his four budget points on energy, health care, education, and debt reduction. Nothing wrong with having a theme, Congress and the American people will take cues from it.

And let's move on from the AIG flap, really folks, there are more important things to worry about!!

19. Robin in Tampa, FL

Alex is down right wrong, the notion that Obama is going to be a 1-term president because he told Ed Henry off simply doesn't make sense. Ed Henry asked his question and THEN he re-asked the same question again. Obama has more important things to worry about than $165 million dollars out of $170 Billion ... we are getting the money back ... stop beating this horse to death.

20. Dorothy-CA

I think we should just let this President run this country. He has done a better job so far than any other President I've seen. I personally like the fact he does not always have the perfect answer that all of these perfect people ask.

He sure has my support.

21. Quddus

Ed Henry's question was annoying he said he asked it because no one else did, Thats why no one else did.....

22. Wayne

President Obama gave the right answer in the right tone to Ed Henry's stupid question. He didnt dodge the question. The question was stupid and a waste of precious prime time.

23. Bob Bergeron

What does GOP stand for? Get Obama Party. Come on GOP, think about our country.

24. nANCY

I wander why people are not seeing that if George Bush had done half of what President Obama has done we will be better off today

25. Dennis

These old political analyzers need wake up and realize Obama is a different kind of president. He's opening up to the people. He promised change and he is changing how his job is done!!!! For the better I may add.

26. Rickey white

Tell Alex, I'am voting for the President in 2012,and he's the PEOPLE'S CHAMP!

27. Audrey Turner

I think you all need to lay off of him. He is doing an outstanding job, and
    you all no it. AIG is a problem since the Bush administration.

28. La Mujer

I saw the President's exchange with Ed Henry and to me it didn't seem all that 'controversial?' You guys even have a headline on it – on the ticker.

29. Euphemmie Carlton

A one timer??? 50 days into his 4 year job and the Republicans want so much for the President to stumble, they are grasping at straws. Really in our lifetime, we've not seen a President as intelligent , savvy and and just simply a breath of fresh air.......

30. Vallary/ Atlanta GA.

David's here...YES!!!....And it took me this long to say that because I like to know what Im talking about before I speak...LOL!!!

31. chris and yolanda

we will follow obama to hell and back....

32. Jason B

Over exposure is a political issue. The American people want to see as much of the president as possible. This gives us a comfortable feeling that he is working and is actually addressing real issues that effect each of us everyday.

33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If Obama thought before he spoke he wouldn't have made that remark about the Special Olympics on the "Tonight Show."

34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone, I think that the President did well as usual.

35. Angel Manners

The problems we are facing now were not created in 2 months, why do people expect them to be fixed so quickly? Also, saying that Obama is a one term president this early in the game is completely ridiculous

36. Bill

One thing we must learn to do as Americans is to speak life and not death into our economic situation. That will be the beginning of recovery.

37. Esma

@ Casey Jones-this blog started when the PPC started...we missed you!

38. Henry

Is Alex serious about President Obama being a one term President? It looked like he could barely keep a straight face while saying it.....

39. Matt, KS

How can the President say the dollar is strong when it loses almost 6% to the Euro in one day after they present their plan?

40. Waheedah, Lexington, KY

The President is right about getting the ship moving in the right direction. You've got to keep the ship afloat, but if you don't get moving in the right direction, you can die a slow death at sea.

41. Mike Syracuse, NY

I'm sure Obama wants to move on from AIG, given the role Geitner had in ensuring the bonuses got paid. The only time he seems to wants to look back is the frequent reminder that he 'inherited' this problem.

42. Jonas

what rock did Alex come from under, I am sick of partisan politics!!

43. Cassie

I live in a tralier and though I hate the bounses that where given it is not what I fall asleep at night thinking about. I think about better health care, how we are going to create jobs, and education for my kids. At least this President isn't afraid to tackle the hard issues I am thinking about on a daily basis.

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Joel

I think this economic down turn should be used to redirect the economic future of the United States. Often times it is these situations that allow for extraordinary undertakings and Obama recognizes that. More to the point, health care reform and green energy have most certainly contributed to the current circumstances. I have yet to hear how that is not the case.

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Felix

The President 's doing excatly what he promises, to comunicate with the public.

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. johnkingcnn

alex is funny ... but that is what a good political debate is all about.

in the end, this president will be judged on whether or not the economy rebounds and how he does in keeping the promises he made in the campaign. but his changing mood/intensity tonight is good drama and a reminder we are still learning a lot about how he handles himself in different situations .....

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Anita

I think the President's response to regarding AIG was adequate. The implication in the question was the wasn't outraged because he didn't jump up and down when he was informed about the bonuses on Thursday. The truth is that I prefer an informed rather president that weighs all the options before taking action, over a congress that caves to public sentiment and then creates a bill that is unconstitutional.

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Pem

Oh my goodness... the comment Alex just made was the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. 64 days in office!!!! Give the President a break!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Cheryl

President Obama did a great job. He was not angry, like CNN commentators are stating. He was direct to the point. That was great. He was talking to the American people. We need a President like him. God what a change from the last 8 years.

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. john b

To say that the president is a "one term president" is noting more than wrong. He's 64 days in with a 64 percent approval rating. He is "only' trying to deal with the last 8 years of the bush administration

March 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |