March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. gennie

why is such power wanted by the government now??

Does anyone think it’s tending towards socialistic ways ……to have the government asking for this power to be able to tell organizations what to do……. in this new power that the treasury secretary is asking for?

March 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  2. Brian

While I may not agree with everything that Obama has in the budget, I voted for him because I believe in his ability to lead this country not just preside over it. I started watching Obama tonight with the idea that we needed to scale back the spending because we should not increase the deficit. For me, Obama did exactly what needed to be done. He articulated the long term importance of a significant investment in healthcare and education. All in all, I now support the Obama budget. Im not listening to the political correspondents trying to pick apart influxes in the delivery of a sentence. Im focusing on how Im going to find a job and have health insurance.

March 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  3. Perry PJ Morgan

@Isabel, look at the stocks that is the progress...Yay..I dont know about you but I see a progress with my stocks...Can Anybody Say..Penny Stocks..

March 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  4. Sharon S

I had no idea we were going to blog so early? Anyway I just have one thing to say, Not Impressed with all the talk!

Obama needs to get to work and SHOW me some results I'm sick of his talk talk talk!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  5. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

And round two of blogging begins...... I am still in shock about how Obama responded to Ed Henry.....

March 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  6. Jon J. Tucci, WV

60 days in office. People want miracles! You couldn't get the plumbing fixed in 60 days. Get real people!

March 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  7. Isabel

Hi, Anderson,
    It’s good to see you!

Evening for everyone…

Let's believe that better day will come! 🙂

March 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  8. Cristy Kirssin

Hi Anderson, Ali, David G, and 360 bloggers! Nice to see you on the blog Ali!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  9. Dan in Kansas

There is nothing more significant than the way a person defines themself. I am encouraged to hear our president talk about his belief and conviction for the need for persistance. Lord knows he will need it with the crowd he is forced to do business with.

March 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  10. Al

The President is setting a new standard for the leaders of our lands. When was the last time the government talked to us and not about us. The last time our government talked at us was when they wanted our vote. I like that the President is talking to us and allowing us to talk back to him. Notice to all government leaders, we will not go back to the old ways, I promise you. I hope I see my local government at our next Home owners meeting. Or they may want to start looking for a new job.

March 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  11. Carolyn form Austin TX

What's important is not how this press conference helped or hurt Oboma, but what difference will it make on wall street and in the world economy!

March 24, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  12. Carolyn form Austin TX

President Obama has a vision that is in line with at least 80% of the people of this nation. I vote for the day that we get rid of contentious political parties and inform the public.. not with sound bites or hyping controversy, but facts and information. Then, we can let everything be decided by popular vote.

I love that Obama is doing all that he can to include EVERY person in this country in the decision making process.

March 24, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

I don't have a question, but I have a comment: I trust our president to do his job. He looks good and sounds good, but I do not expect the president to be visible to me every single day. Keep the media and us guessing a little.

March 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  14. Sam

The problem with the issue of time, is that while we are waiting for the President, congress, the treasury, etc. come to any agreements, another child goes to bed hungry, another person without health insurance goes to bed in pain, and even another worries about how they will pay their bills when they get out of bed in the morning now that they are laid off.

March 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  15. Natasha Boozer

Did this press conf. help or hurt President Obama?

March 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  16. maria - campbell hall, ny

President Obama gets high points from me. For someone to be on a job less than 90 days and constantly being evaluated by every talking head - Good job - good nerves

March 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  17. Isabel

President Obama said "we are beginning to see signs of progress."

Panel, please, what are these signsof progress?

March 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  18. dave walker,n. dartmouth,ma.

Obama's campaign commitment to average citizens for change is beginning to wane. Just like Bush,big money for big business while the American people struggle or go without. Damn shame. I really thought this change was something other than what's left of my paycheck every week.

March 24, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  19. Michelle in Birmingham, AL

I'm excited that this president keeps putting himself out there versus past presidents that stay hiding under a rock when things were bad. Unfortunately, President Obama will never be able to do or say anything right. Heck, he's not allowed to have any emotions. He's in a "dang if he do/dang if he don't" situation when it comes to media/pundits. I'm just glad that Jesus won't judge us like people are strongly passing judgment on the president.

March 24, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  20. Lori from IL

@ Jim Edwards welcome to the blog - glad you worked on President Obama's campaign. I find him a remarkable man and am glad he's our president.

March 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  21. Cheryl

The question of whether Obama was lying or was naive about the AIG bonuses pales in comparison to the question of whether Bush was lying or was naive about Saddam Hussein's having nuclear weapons.

March 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  22. Sandy T

I feel the President did an excellent job in communication to the American people. He appropriately answered Ed Henry question that has been asked 100 times in the last week. Most American has digested the White House respond to that same question and is really to move on. We have been stuck in the past long enough, let make some progress!!

March 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  23. v.gerrard, Dublin, Ireland

He's all the past President's rolled into one again...I'm from Ireland & that's my opinion, Amen!

March 24, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  24. STW

The Pres. did a wonderful job! Let's keep in mind that this situation didn't happen overnight so it won't be fixed overnight. He is trying to fix a mess that was years in the making....give him time.

March 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  25. Laura Sharon

We elected Obama because we believe he has what it takes to lead the country. He has picked the best of the best, and we need to have patience and let them do their jobs. His equanimity is remarkable. We should all take heed.

March 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

Kelly - will this blog continue through 360 or will you start a new one at 10:00? With so many comments - which I love the comments - it's getting slow.

March 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  27. chuck

John King, I agree that the president has an extreme full plate, but he cannot have it both ways. It would seem he is trying to ram too much through thinking he has the political capital. But at what expense ? Spreading everyone too thin. He can't call out the deficit he inherited while at the same time he will double or triple it, that is just disingenuous.
    We have heard a ton of Bush criticism from this man over the last year, I am sorry but I did not see strong answers to the questions tonight. Once that teleprompter or in this case the monitor goes dark, he really struggles. Why the preselected reporter questions, come on, man up !

March 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  28. lee craft

The middle class tax cuts will show up as about $16 on your paycheck during the first week of April. You've been had.

March 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  29. joseph

I though Obama did a great job. The people and pundits should not rely soley on the gonvernments money, credits, tax plans, bail outs. They are all needed however what do we do right now. We need to go find creative was to ride this economic stream.

March 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  30. Teresa

What happened to the "no tax increase for those making less than $250,000/year? By taxing contributions he just gave us all a big one.

March 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  31. j. thomas

President Obama was great as usual. I have listened to the critical comments of your commentators and I could not agree less. He did not appear nervous (when did Barack Obama ever appear nervous?) He demonstrated the confidence that he always does. He did not appear angry at Ed Henry's questions (Ed Henry came across as quite angry and about to blow). He answered well, all questions asked of him. It seems as if the media wants to influence public opinion negatively against the President. We are intelligent enough to form our own opinions on what we see and hear.The media will not prosper in their efforts. Keep up the good work Mr. President. You're looking GREAT!!

March 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  32. coco

I thought President Obama did great. I'm so glad a leader wants to know what he's talking about before he speaks. Such a refreshing change.

March 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  33. Jim Edwards

This is my 1st ever contribution to a Blog. So I will start with simply comment.
    After watching President Obama tonight, I recall exactly why I worked for his election, in Florida. His approach is both visionary and practical.

March 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  34. Mike

Bravo President !! Thank god we have someone running the government who has a plan!! Ed Henry what was your plan score points to be destructive or constructive ? We need to look foward , why waste it on bonuses when there is so many big issues ! It could be worse if the president was John McCain!

March 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  35. Mike

I agree with John. Not being proactive just leads to bad government in the future. Also, I believe that we as Americans should be willing to pay more now for clean energy, which is good for our country and our environment, rather than wait and pay more later when we are under the thumb of the oil rich countries of the Middle East. It's no longer an environmental issue, it's an issue that will hit all of us square in the pocketbook!

March 24, 2009 at 9:44 pm |
  36. KELLY, AC360

If you don't have a video camera, let us know in the comments what you'd ask Pres. Obama. Or what you'd like to ask our panel.

Thanks everyone!

March 24, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  37. jerri.j

If people, no matter what party you are, would just give the President and his staff the time needed to get us out of this mess, he will be successful. He clearly has a plan and my hope is that those that don't agree with him would try to be more positive and not so negative. I love this country and we are blessed to have such an intelligent and caring President.

March 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  38. Jacqueline, NY

Kudos Ed Henry! for asking the tough questions

March 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  39. Janiah

We're where we are because we thought we knew, so let's try to learn something new.

March 24, 2009 at 9:41 pm |
  40. watty

How refreshing to have a President finally want to do the right thing for our future, and its great to have a President that feels he must include us in the discussions instead of hiding behind White House, doing whatever he wants to do. And its also great to have an intelligent President that is in charge.

March 24, 2009 at 9:41 pm |
  41. Robert

i am in canada and i think what happens in us effects us.give this guy a chance stop nit picking all the words

March 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  42. Anne

Every time the President speaks he gives me great confidence in his ability to lead us in the right direction. I am a principal of an elementary school and I feel like the negative criticism from the Republicans is just another form of Bullying. I deal with Bullying problems every school year...but at least my students, ages 5-11, have better sense than the adults who can not accept the American People's choice. The election is over and they need to do their jobs and help to get us out of this mess. They need to put their differences aside and HELP instead of making a constant search for mistakes......

March 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  43. sally franklin

I think the president is right about taking time to do things. I believe he has to attack one thing at a time and I think he has done a great job doing several things at once. What is wrong with the general public that they can't see that he and his people are trying different things and can change what does not work. As with us all, mistakes are made and then corrected and hopefully learned from. I am 76 years old , but am still willing to invest some for long term results. If I were to ask any question, it would be about gas prices. Why when oil prices are way down, are the prices at the gas pumps still staying high and in some cases even going up?? Is it as critics say, because big companies still are making big big profits?? Sally

March 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  44. Rebecca

I think the President did a great job at his press conference. We must all not forget that he took on a great deal of baggage that he or anyone else can clear immediately or overnight or in the near future. It may take some time for this mess to be cleared up. I do believe that he has displayed great effort to work on the existing problem. I would like to hear more effort on healthcare and also help for small business. You go to work everyday and never know when you will be the next one to be laid off. Let us all work together with the President and hope for the best instead of working against him. Our country is in major trouble at this time and we can only hope for a better tomorrow.

March 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  45. John V

I think the argument of too much spending is a false argument. What legacy are we leaving our children if we do not fix healthcare and Meedicare? How much will it cost 10 years from now? Congress is never proactive, they only react to a crisis that in many cases leads to bad legislation.

March 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  46. Patty

The President did a great job and I can't wait to stand in line for 10 hours and vote for him again......

March 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  47. Shari

I'm worried. He avoided the question about middle class tax cuts. I cannot afford anymore taxes. If he doesn't cut them, then will they be raised? How is this all being paid for? Also, I don't understand how we can cut the deficit while "charging" trillions.

March 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  48. Kelly

I was tickled how the president answered Ed Henry.

Great comment Dawn!

March 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  49. Sharon

Mr. President Obama, you're doing a great job. People have patience. It's not going to happen overnight.

March 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  50. Chris Stephens

This President is the first in a long time that looks farther ahead than the end of next week. To fix this mess means doing just what he says. Investing in the future is not politically popular or glamorous but it is tho ONLY way to build long term growth which will eventually bring down the defecit. If Bill Bennett has a better idea please ask him to explain it. And I doubt if the President or anyone in his administration was suggesting the people at AIG deserve the fat payouts that they gave themselves. If anything, they may have been a bit naive about the amount of greed that actually goes on at these places.

March 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm |