March 24th, 2009

Live Blog: President Obama's Speech 3/24

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Here's your chance to weigh in President Obama's speech. What would you ask our panel?? We want to know. Please tell us in the comment section below. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment posted if you follow the rules: 1) Please keep it short 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no need to yell) 3) Use your real name 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated, PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,030 Responses)
  1. tomcnn

as to this idea of reporters being called on randomly...I fear those days are long gone for every President now and in the future; both parties are so obsessed about managing message, that virtually no one wants to run the risk of a surprise

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Wait a minute, aren't these the same Wall Street people he and the Dems were trashing last week?

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  3. May-Tennessee

I agree with Jas and Pati...I'm glad the president is keeping in touch with the American people.

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  4. Vanessa, TX

I'm soo glad that POTUS recognizes that bonuses at this point in our troubles is wrong...I like that he speaks to the ppl..Good job POTUS!

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  5. Michelle

He is right we are all in the same boat the whole
    world is watching. Not everyone at AIG caused the
    problems that created the financial crisis.

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

John King, Tell Dana that I think her reports this week were sharp and right on the money!

March 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Eliza - I like to hear President Obama explain the current problems in language we can understand. Just listening to him talk makes me feel better - that action is being taken to "try" to fix our economy. I know he has exceptional oratory skills and this is such a nice change after the last 8 years.

Most of what he talks about will be determined by the questions the press asks - let's hope they use their opportunities wisely.

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  8. Sam M.

@sandy from NJ
    yes! i've been waiting for college funding talk too. and not just Pell Grant talk...

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  9. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@ John King- yes there is a nice energy in the room, you can tell that easily from the television, but wouldn't it be a bigger statement if Obama sat down on a couch with the press around kind of like a talk show, to really impose that he wants to keep in touch with the country?

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  10. Isabel

@ Eliza

That the credit re-run ...
    The more time passes without the credit back to run normally, the greater the chances of recession is deepening.

And relief for the unemployed

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  11. Manny

it is refreshing to hear the presidents thoughts openly, no surgar coating

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  12. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@John – Good to have you join us! And yes, I was taking note of the atmosphere and room during Obama's first prime-time conference.

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  13. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

@ Eliza, 360 – Even though I just got a job, almost all of the other people I worked with (20+ persons) are still unable to find jobs. I want to hear what Pres. Obama is going to do to make more jobs available across the country.

Also, want to hear about Health Care reform.

Thanks for asking. 🙂

March 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  14. ALI VELSHI, CNN CHIEF BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT

Normally an administration would need weeks to try to sell a single inititative as large as the housing plan, or the banking plan, or a budget. This administration is squeezing a lot of business into a very tight schedule, and the message is getting a little jumbled. It doesn't help that the Treasury Department – the MOST important department right now, is understaffed and not really at the head of the class in terms of communicating its message. But markets gave the administration a big hug yesterday. The administration has a few economic indicators to lean on right now – home sales up a bit, mortgage rates lower than they have every been, what FEELS like a slowdown in layoffs, a housing plan which will help some people stay in their homes, and banking plan which COULD work. Too early to tell on any of those fronts but we've had two weeks, back-to-back, where markets ended higher than they started – something we haven't seen since last May. None of this is a trend. It just may mean that the light at the end of the LONG tunnel is not a train.

March 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  15. Zsa Zsa Giggleman

Wake me up when the economy is fixed in 2012. This story is BORING- I am closing my eyes and ears to any bad financial news that doesn't involve me directly. If it involves me indirectly I don't want to hear about it. The financial drumbeat will be heard for 3 more years and I'm changing the music channel. EVERY pundit, EVERY angle of the economy has been covered ALREADY: stress, health, sex life, budgeting, resumes, divorce, education blah blah blah- I would hate to be a feature editor or segment producer these days- it's like making turkey salad out of turkey for the next 3 1/2 years. SNORING.

One minute into his speech and guess what – I AM OUTA HERE. " I met a man in Pittsburgh" BLAH
    BLAH BLAH

Anderson join us and watch Real Housewives on Bravo- "HELLO I'M JILL ZARIN"

March 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't wait to see who he calls on. Something tells me it won't be Helen Thomas.

March 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  17. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I hope Obama just chooses his words carefully. Connotations sadly persuade more people than the denotations of the words one uses.

March 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  18. johnkingcnn

hey everyone ...

the East Room is one of the grand stages on the White House complex. A president – any president – has many options when looking to make an important statement – the Oval Office, the Rose Garden and a number of other meeting and historic rooms.

But the East Room and that walk down long hall into the event has for a long time been a favorite for a news conference because it has the aura of "big" and "important." .... in eight plus years covering the White House i always enjoyed the history and energy in the room on nights like this.

March 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  19. Esma

@ Eliza–Long term help...I'm youngish (30), so I have more of an interest in what's going to happen much later with the future of this country's economy and how we can avoid another situation like this one.

March 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That's not exactly the impression he gave during the election. He acted like there was a silver bullet and that he was the one who would provide it.

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  21. Vanessa, TX

@Eliza..hoping to hear when stimulus checks are gonna be in the mail...lol, I guess alot of us are hurting

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  22. sandy from NJ

I would like to hear about funding for college.

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  23. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

We will have more money in our checks by April 1st? That is certainly good news.

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  24. jamie

Is this the right page for the live blog? Shouldn't Anderson be saying something?

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  25. Isabel - Brazil

Let's expect that the teleprompter don't embarrass!

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening everyone...that list is way to long to name names! I'm really excited to see what the President has to say tonight! And I really enjoyed the 'word art'...I can't actually remember what you called it! 🙂

March 24, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  27. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Obama sounds nice, but I think he should sound more like a marketing professional..

March 24, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  28. ls400s@aol.com

I like the fact he came right out and started telling us what his plans are

March 24, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  29. sandy

Looking forward to what will be said.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  30. ELIZA, AC360°

What are you hoping to hear from President Obama this evening?

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  31. cathy sullivan

I hope the President calls on reporters in a random fashion instead of like the last one where it was scripted.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  32. Jas Szabo

I, for one, am glad to see president Obama keeping his promise of staying in touch with the American public. I just hope he and his administration can get our economy back on track. I would rather have him talk directly to me then making deals behind closed doors. Best of luck to all of us.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  33. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

Wow! We've got the best of the best at the table tonight. Lovin' that.

Earlier Penny's post asked if POTUS should back off from the TV appearances. Not at all. We need to hear from him. He should be talking and explaining. it's his job and responsibility. I respect this President for that fact that he is NOT silent.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  34. May-Tennessee

Evening everyone! Hey Tom & Eliza! Looking forward to POTUS' news conference.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  35. JoeAnna

Can you tell us why David Gergen not on panel tonite. I enjoy hearing his opinion on president and congress etc.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  36. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Ed Henry! Doesn't he find that strange to talk to a camera with people just, staring at him?

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  37. Lori from IL

Hello Tom Foreman and Fellow Bloggers -

This should be fun. Last time when 360 opened the blog during President Obama's State of the Union Address, I didn't realize it until it was over. Thanks for putting it on the blog early tonight!

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  38. Christine

From a young person's point of view, I personally hope that President Obama helps to clarify his economic agenda rather than simply due damage control (i.e. the AIG mess).

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  39. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all. I'm happy that yall are live blogging thru the speech.

March 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hey Tom, great to see you here! Nice job on those "winners and losers" this week!

March 24, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  41. Vanessa, TX

Hello AC360 crew and smartees..I like early blog especially when POTUS speaks! YAY..wow, talk about nerd!

March 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  42. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Hey, everyone! Are we really blessed with *two* live blogs this evening? Very nice.

On Obama, I'll be shocked if we hear anything even mildly groundbreaking.

March 24, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  43. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Obama needs a magic wall? But then John would have to go with....he can't be separated from the wall....lol

March 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  44. Isabel - Brazil

Hi, Elisa, Tom and bloggers!

Liveblog and the debate is always very good!

Even if we did not come to conclusion unique, however, debate is healthy a practice where we can see several sides of the same issue.

Thanks

March 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  45. tomcnn

good evening all..tom foreman joing from dc

March 24, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  46. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

That word cloud was pretty sweet. Love you guys for such a fun way to learn about people's syntax/diction....

March 24, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  47. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

hey bloggers! That word cloud is so flipping cool. Also a fair hallo, to the best Politcal news team in the entire universe! 😀

March 24, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  48. ELIZA, AC360°

Hey Bloggers! We decided to do a live blog during Pres. Obama's address tonight and we hope you can join us.

March 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  49. Esma

Hey, everyone (and wow, do I mean everyone)!!!
    Thanks for the "Word Nerd" art, that was cool.

March 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  50. La Mujer

Is this blog live right now? Well what did we do to deserve such special treatment?

March 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm |