March 23rd, 2009

Radio host stabbed to death in Brooklyn home

George Weber, 47, was found stabbed in the neck in his Carroll Gardens home over the weekend.

Gabriel Falcon
AC360° Writer

George Weber used his blog to discuss "news, politics, life and Brooklyn."

A resident of the Brownstone-lined neighborhood of Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn, New York, the ABC News radio anchor noted on his page recently a violent episode in the area. Quoting a local newspaper, Weber wrote, "A woman’s mutilated body was discovered outside a Degraw Street apartment building on Feb. 27, the first murder this year in the 76th Precinct."

The second homicide was reported over the weekend. George Weber was the victim.

Police say the 47-year-old was stabbed in the neck in his groundfloor apartment. There were no signs of forced entry, leading investigators to suspect Weber knew the killer.

Weber was raised in Pennsylvania. On his blog, he said he started in broadcasting at the age of 16 and then "hopscotched the country working at great radio stations like KIMN, KOA and KTLK in Denver, KMPC and KABC in Los Angeles, KGO in San Francisco and KOGO in San Diego. Depending on the day and the year, I was either doing talk radio or news."

He found his greatest success in New York. For several years, he delivered the news on a WABC talk-radio program hosted by Curtis Sliwa and Ron Kuby. The job lasted until early 2008. In a message posted on what he called his first official web site "georgeweber.net," he said "Citadel Communications fired more than 100 people, including myself, in dozens of cities. It was a cost-cutting move."

On his blog, Weber made his life an open book. He chronicled his battle with bed bugs, even posting pictures of insect bite marks. On St. Patrick's Day, he mused about going to a couple of bars. "While a few dozen green-clad revelers sang along to Bon Jovi songs they played on the jukebox," Weber wrote, "outside, bouncers were shooing away kids who looked as young as 14 and 16." He also videotaped his observations. You can watch it here.

In a blog on February 9th, Weber addressed the recent rash of break-ins in Carroll Gardens:

"That's four incidents in just a week within blocks of where I live. Despite the disturbing frequency, I'm comforted in knowing these burglars probably won't hit my place. Here's why. They all have a common thread. That's right, in each case, the victims were away from their homes for long periods of time, sometimes days. Playing junior detective, I would surmise that these thieves have been watching area homes, picking homes where it appears the homeowner has no intention of returning anytime soon. In all cases, the intruders never marched through the front doors and it appears as if they didn't enter apartments through publicly exposed entries."

A few weeks later, Weber was slayed in his Carroll Gardens home. Contact the NYPD if you have any information that could lead to an arrest.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Frank

Very sad... RIP! I pray for his family.

March 24, 2009 at 3:05 am |
  2. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

My condolences to his family. This is such a terrible crime and I hope the people don't let it go..Make sure that this gets investigated. This must be addressed, don't allow an innocent man to die in vain.

This underscores the very real need for people to be armed to protect themselves and anybody who is being threatened with violence. For some strange idea the authorities will not allow for good self defence, so it's time to change the laws.

I hope the perp/s get caught and get life, so until they/he gets caught, be vigilant and report anything suspicious to the cops. And is anyone tries to break in to my apt I will cure their acute lead deficiency!

March 24, 2009 at 2:40 am |
  3. Don Magnifico

My condolecences. I hope they just dont brush this off as homide while attempting to burglarize. As a LISTENER of Mr. Weber I do not believe he will have to open the door for to intruders he had been reporting on. He was well informed, so he was aware and politically a realist. Bless Him, the truth always comes to light.

March 24, 2009 at 12:40 am |
  4. steve Loudon, TN

It is shameful that we must protect ourselves as much as we now do. I now own and am willing to use guns (I was always against allowing guns etc), and am totally observant of my surroundings and always having a plan for getting out of trouble. My son's are police officials of different agencies and it is unbelievable what they see and know.

March 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  5. Jeff Parish

My sister was murdered in Queens a few back. She was from Tucson and it was never solved most likley wont be. Its not the fault fo NYPD its alot of people in a small place. Get invloved I have and it works no cop in his right mind is going to give up a source maybe a lawyer not a cop.

March 23, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  6. TheAnswerMan

This appears to be a premeditated murder by someone who knew him, who was close to him – murdered by someone who followed his blog. Someone used George Weber‘s musings about the crime in his neighborhood to mask their evil deed. With the proper investigation there is a high probability that this crime will be solved. For those who follow this story to its conclusion, do not be surprised if the motivation behind this involves a love interest of some sort.

March 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  7. JAC

How sad ... clicked on this cuz i was hoping it was Rush ... sigh

March 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  8. Robyn

Aw man, that's sad. I hope they find whoever killed him.

March 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  9. Bonnie

This is a pretty scary story,, makes me think that the ones involved in the break ins could be one of his neighbors,, who decide to kill him for fear he might at some point discover who they are and expose them to the police. I sure hope they find the murderer and put him/them away,

March 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  10. elizabeth

Thats crazy,,,,,,,,,,,, i hope they found the person who did t and they get many years in prison for what they did.

March 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  11. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

A sad tragedy--That’s four incidents in just a week within blocks of where I live. Despite the disturbing frequency, I’m comforted in knowing these burglars probably won’t hit my place--one has to be cautious of what ones says--it could be an invitation or challenge-–and in this case-it proved fatal--Weber was the exception to the rule--he wasn't expected to be there.

March 23, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  12. Ronald Baro

There was a time when I didn't lke Journalists. Not to sound like the if you can't beat them join them addage? But now is the time that I'm going to dabble in Journalism and become a Journalist myself but with a musicians point of view. I read this story of about Mr Weber. May he rest in Peace. He didn't deserve this. I hope they catch the monster that did this. My condolences to his family.

March 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm |