March 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/19/09

Here's your chance to give your feedback on the show and talk with our anchors, reporters, and producers. Join the Live Blog!

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EJ (USA)

I heard the same thing as Michelle my whole life too.

March 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Isabel, Brazil

It is sad to feel the voice of Anderson moved to speak about Natasha Richardson

March 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Terry Doylestown, Pa

I am sure this was an honest mistake on the Special Olympics.   But I do think President Obama likes bing candidate Obama......and when he takes responsibility for something it is always with a but......I did not write tehe contract, I inherited this- the stimulus plan and the bonus language is under your watch.

I would like to see less town hall meetings and more time working through the issues with Congress and the Treasury.

March 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

We should let those who are disabled decide if they are offended by the remarks. The rest of us dont know what it's like to be disabled, which makes us busy-bodies, not experts. Learning to laugh at oneself is an important part of life's journey.

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Bridget, TX

@Scott, I have a host of family and friends who have not received a bail out for our mortgage and we all support the president. We don't mind the president helping those who are in desperate need of a bailout, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Tony pagano:
    Joan Rivers said on Larry King Live yesterday, that she was called by a friend of hers and N. Richardson. The friend said, Natasha Richardson was already brain dead. Apparently she was flown to NY so her sons could say good bye to her while she was still "alive".
    That's what Joan Rivers said.

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Mike T

I think Obama's appearance on the Tonight Show is great. It shows how he is a real person. Politicians who criticize him for this appearance and also his picks on the NCAA tournament are just jealous. Just how much have these politiicians accomplished in the last 2 months?

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Vincent, Gary did do a great job with his reports on Ms. Richardson's death. He is very sensitive and thoughtful!

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Pen

Let Madoff & his wife buy his way out of jail. The price? Double the figure of what we KNOW he scamed to cover how much $ is hidden that we don't know; and he can reinstate the lives of his investors who have committed suicide because of him. Small price to pay and since he is so uncomfortable in his cell I am sure he & his wife are willing to come up with this price for his freedom.

March 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

@ Lori in Mo, Lori from IL agrees!!! Let's give our President a break -

March 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Cherry B - Ms

@Terry, thanks for stating what you did about people with disabilities and a sense of humor.. As I said, I am disabled and can't think of any off the cuff things people have said which ever offended me. Lighten up, people!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Lauren--NY

Jo Ann, you make a good point but I think it's because that one neurologist said that you have to get hit in such a specific location–and the diagram looked like it was the back of the head–to have an epidural hematoma, and boxers are usually hit in the face and chest, not the back of the head.

March 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Mike Syracuse, NY

I think Obama should get a pass for his special olympics comment. We have gotten way too PC in this country. Besides, his economic plan is the real joke.

March 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. chip

I don't understand I thought one received a bonus when someone did something could didn't AIG just about went belly up, why would anyone get a bonus for that.

March 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Tony Pagano

I honestly believe that it was a grave mistake to transport Ms. Richardson by airplane at high altitude immediatley after her injury....I firmly believe it may have added to the increased pressure of the subdural matter (blood clot, hematoma)....the cabin in a privte jet is normally maintained at 8,000 feet at an altitude of 40,000 feet.....pressures that are fatiguing to a normally healthy person. This should be addressed.

March 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Again my heart and prayers go out to Natasha Richardson's family and friends in their time of grief to her sad untimely death.

Is there any possibility Natasha could have had a pre existing condition that could have brought on the blod clot to bring on the bleeding into the brain?

Stay Safe

March 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Maria

Some kind of sports are dangerous

March 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Emma

I've fallen quite a few times in my life and it's scary to think that a minor fall could lead to severe, or even fatal, injuries.

March 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

My thoughts and prayers go our to Natasha Richardson's family and friends (including you, Anderson).

I hope her family found some healing in the theater district tribute tonight. While I never had the opportunity to see her on stage, I've enjoyed her films. She was a very versatile actress and from what I understand a loving mother and wife. She led her life in an exemplary manner - devoted to her family, offering support to charitable causes she believed in, and successful in her chosen profession. We should all be so lucky.

March 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Nattada, Houston TX

I heard that if someone fall, you can ask simple questions to see if everything alright. Ask what he or she is doing, what his or her name is, ask he or she to raise the left arm and then right, and see if he or she can response or not. Just these simple things would help save lifes.

March 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Renee

@ Chris, Boston: I have to concur with you. The bowling comment is offensive to me. ADA has helped so many folks overcome disabilities and become more able bodied. It was a below the belt comment. I can not stand when the President is on any comedy show. I couldn't stand Clinton playing the sax on TV. I guess I am just much too conservative for that overt behavior.

March 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I was very surprised to hear about individuals wearing helmets while skiing. I ski on top-level slopes, and have never worn more on my head than a beanie. Scary, and good information to have.

March 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Barbara in Boston

Natasha Richardsons' death has really affected me. It's really tragic that she did not allow an early intervention. We don't know if that would have saved her but at least she would have had a chance.

I loved the film, "Nell," and Ms. Richardson was a luminous presence in it. The scene in which she was swimming in the lake off the houseboat was stunning. Between her, Jodie Foster and Liam Neeson, this was a poetic story that has stayed with me. "Asylum" was equally powerful. I loved seeing her on screen with Ian McKellen. Talk about two giants of the theater together. Her vulnerability was very powerful.

I feel so for her sons. Nothing equals the impact to that of a child losing a parent. I lost my father when I was four and my life was forever changed. Thankfully, they seem to be surrounded by a loving family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

March 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Vamp

AC360 thanks for investigating the death of Natasha Richardson, it could really help someone else to know this!

I had no idea a minor fall could be so costly!

March 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Isabel, Brazil

I was thinking about those falls in home, where children and babies hit their heads. What should we do in these situations?

March 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Amanda LaPorte Laurie, MO

I can't help but wonder how bad the hospital emergency rooms will be flooded now for every bump on the head

March 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Scott

So Sorry for Natasha, It sounds like it was very common and normally not life treating. She was a beautiful person. I guess when it is your time to go it is your time to go.

March 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. starr formerly known as vincent

Who better than Gary Tuckman to report on Natasha Richardson's cause of death......he seems so gentle and informative.

Other symptoms of any head injury can include:
    dizziness, balance problems, blurred or altered vision. (i have what they call a "minor" head injury from a bad concussion and still don't have my balance back and also lost my sense of smell.

For anyone who has ANY unusual symptoms should go to ER or call 911.

March 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Cherry B - Ms

There's been a great deal of attention devoted to the tragic loss of Natasha Richardson. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. This horrible loss may save other lives. Same kind of thing happened when Christopher Reeves had his accident. Much more attention toward spinal injuries then. I hope, eventually, her family will take some consolation in this.

March 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Emma

About the helmet, I've never seen anyone wear a helmet while skiing. Actually, until a few days ago, I didn't even know they made helmets for skiing.

March 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Elaine, Des Moines, IA

@Jacqueline, I watched Anderson on Ellen's show today, he didn't dance. I would've love to have seen that 🙂

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is amazing that you don't hear about boxers dying from this.

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Lauri

I think Obama is a great president.. I hope he let's AIG fall for what they have done to everyone!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Tony Pagano

regarding Natasha Richardson......was there any implication of her flying immediatley with a hematoma of the brain? Flying up at 40,000 feet (average for private jet aircraft) the cabin is roughly maintained at 8,000 feet. The prssures are noticable to a healthy human being. What effect might it have had to a person with brain trauma...specifically pressure???

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

It is hard to feel the sadness in the voice Anderson ... and hear your voice embargoed

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Stephanie

Poor Natasha, so beautiful and talented. Medical professionals say if she had an operation within an hour she may have been saved. Who ever gets seen within one hour in an ER??? Esp. when you walk in and say "I have a headache".

March 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Terry

Just heard President Obama's comment regarding his bowling score and limiting his competition to the Special Olympics. As a very hands on grandparent of a child with special needs, I was not offended by his comment and by the way got smeared the last time I bowled with my grandson. I have one question. Do only people without special needs think that the people with special needs have no sense of humor?

March 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Lauren--NY

It's lovely that there was a public vigil for Ms. Richardson. Her family is so strong to be able to do that.

March 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Such a sad story...I still have a hard time believing it and am continuing to pray for her and her family and friends.

March 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Scott S

I guess the ones that are for Obama is the ones that get a bail out on their morgages and broke the rules. Meanwhile those that have gone by the rules pay for the dead beats

March 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

So Madoff will be physically' restricted'.Well,his actions have caused restrictions on those he scammed.I don't feel sorry for him at all.Karma.

March 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

Exciting to see the artists honoring Natasha Richards

March 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Nancy

A break should be given to the adminstration. No one in their right mind would have dreamed that bonuses to the tune of $165K would be passed out. AIG is responsible and should have broken the contract, gone to court and then probably won based on malfeasance.

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Karen C

I find it vastly interesting that so far the *only* people complaining about the special olympics remarks are those who are not disabled, nor connected to the special olympics.........

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Tino, Denville, NJ

Why aren't people madder at Congress?? They created the law that allowed unregulated swap contracts that led to the financial crisis (however, some of them don't even seem to know this). They have the power of the purse and have run up the national debt to $11,000,000,000,000+ (11 trillion). They provided support and funding for the 6 year war in Iraq. They passed the TARP law. We need a more responsible Congress that actually has half a brain. Less is more. There's something wrong with a system that's all about staying in office and less about steering the country in the right direction.

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Isabel, Brazil

We must live each moment ... we don't know the day of tomorrow

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Katina

It is an ashame that the repbulic party so spends much media time bashing and be-littling President Obama.

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. john o. snoberger ca.

obama is doing a great jobs!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. vette

i am disabled his comment was knot offense leave president obama alone

March 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Bern Houston

Anderson, you were great today on Ellen's show. Great fun!!!!! You are sincere in your work, and you also have a good sense of humor. Go Anderson!!!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |