March 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/19/09

Here's your chance to give your feedback on the show and talk with our anchors, reporters, and producers. Join the Live Blog!

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. starr formerly known as vincent

I'm sure it is a "real" adjustment for Madoff from luxury to prison. And i am equally sure that his victims feel it is not good enough of a punishment for what he has done to them.

March 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Cherry B - Ms

Anderson, great interaction with your audience tonight. Faces of the future. Must be scary for them right now. But they look very bright. Maybe they will be much smarter than we have all been

March 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. john o. snoberger ca.

the us peoples need a bailout!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Steve - southern Illinois

I'm a supporter of President Obama. But I think his comment about the special olympics was a mistake and I hope he treats it as such. Of course he didn't mean to offend but he should be more careful.

March 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Scott S

and when its time to pay back the trillions of dollars back it will kill the economy No one will be able to survive the taxes

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Nattada, Houston TX

Lori from IL.. I think you may know the answer already. No Anderson didn't dance in Ellen show. 🙂

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. ann

i love how the republicans are taking issue with Obama filling out his brackets...very weak....they are really reaching...I think it makes most of us feel like he can relate to us....I mean seriously we know he is smarter than us and its nice to see him enjoying something we can all be a part of. About the Leno comment I really think he was making fun of himself and that he did not have any intention of offending anyone. Relax give him a break!

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Lori from MO

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: First Obama gets dinged for being too "serious" & scaring Americans and now it's not ok for him to be funny? This stressed out nation needs a dose of humor every now and again. These Obama criticisms are getting more & more petty & ridiculous.

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

Anderson was on Ellen today? Well, did he dance? Did he get his boogie on?

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Vamp

if you find it Cruet to put Madoff in a cell then ask the people he stole from who NO longer have a savings who have to go back to work and see what they would do with him!!!

I think you will find that cell a bit safer for him but if you want better you can always give him the death penalty!

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Emma

@Jo Ann, I agree. It was very inappropriate and I'm sure there will be backlash.

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Bridget, TX

@Mary Jo, I called my gf who has a special need son and read some of the comments here, she was stunned and couldn't believe some actually took this to heart.

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Randi, If that is so then a big rat like Madoff should feel right at home!

March 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I wonder how "61727-054" is treated by other inmates during that one hour out of the cell everyday?

Give me a break, Lisa. There are people living in a lot less secure and filthy places than the prison he's in–including mice, etc. Must be surreal for him.

OMG, I can hardly wait for Spitzer's interview this weekend! (Be still my heart.)

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  15. mike - moreland, ga

Madoff is lucky to only have to go to jail. In less civilized times he would have suffered a much worse fate than that for what he did.

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Tom from Philly

aw poor bernie, if you add it up the people whose lives he destroyed are suffering more than he is I have no sympathy for him, if you cant do the time dont commit the crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. john zieser

Anderson,

Enjoy your balanced reporting. I am currently viewing your story on Bernie Madoff. One question – I recall that it costs the taxpayer $200 thousand or more a year to imprison an individual - why isn't this person footing the bill for this amount?

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson was hilarious on the Ellen show! I'd like to see Anderson and Kelli Ripa do a celebrity showdown on Live with Regis and Kelli!

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Death is not the answer.

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I will endure the the criticism I'm sure to receive from making this remark, but I find the treatment of inmates at high-security prisons to be utterly disgraceful. Living beings should always be treated with dignity. Our goal should be rehabilitation, not retribution. Revenge is not the answer.

March 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

I understand Bloom's point, but too many ppl have lost money they worked their entire lives for! What will these people do now? Nobody will give them the money they lost back. People should not feel pity for this man.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Vamp

Funny we do find animals in worse conditions than Madoff and the animals have not done any crimes! So why should we treat this criminal any better?

Is there some reason that criminals because they are humans should be treated better than animals?

You think about this, most animals you find in shelters are treated worse than most criminal and those animals DID NO crimes!

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Lauren--NY

I am normally a Lisa Bloom fan, but I disagree with her here. They're not beating him or starving him. I don't like that the lights are on 24/7–lights out should be lights out. And they do need to get an exterminator in there. But those are my only complaints.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Elaine, Des Moines, IA

Hello Anderson and AC360 team, fellow bloggers. I'm glad Anderson's talking with college students, I recently graduated and searching for a job is a job.

President Obama's only been in office for a couple of months, appearing on Leno's not a big deal.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Emma

They should not release Madoff for even a day. I'm certain he's going to disappear....he probably has money hidden somewhere. Are we ever going to find out what happened to the money supposedly placed into the bank account? It angers me that his wife is still living the high life while some of his victims are on food stamps.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Sharmon

First off I want to thank Anderson Cooper for coming out to Hofstra! The question and answer portion was great. I love seeing interaction with students. I think it was a good aspect to put into the show. Also having AC360 at Hofstra is a wonderful opportunity in itself. Sadly enough, being a Senior Resident Assistant at Hofstra, I was very close to the taping, but wasn’t able to make it because I am on duty tonight, but I do watch AC360 every night and it is awesome to know that the show is just a 5 minute walk away! I am sorry I couldn't experience it in person. Thank you so much Anderson for coming out to Hofstra and for everything you do.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Steve

At least Madoff will have a roof over his head and three square meals a day, not like the people he caused to be near homelessness and trading prescriptions for food. Let him ROT.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Barbara in Boston

Hmm, why make an issue out of the Special Olympics comment when I have a CNN headline t-shirt that reads: "'Old ladies bowl better than Obama" I just saw it on CNN.com 08:54 am 01.03.09"?

I'm an old lady and I don't take offence.

March 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Hello! That is what happens when you are in a high level security prison or jail. So he is treated like everyone else...

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Scott S

Come on all this stimulas and tarp programs have been tried before .Also FDR tried it I did not work folks. READ history

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Bridget, TX

I thank God, that we have President Obama in charge of this country as we see our country's financial system which was obviously built on a bunch of lies and schemes come falling down. I'm thrilled, we have a man I know is working for the masses and not his rich buddies. I know whatever decision he makes, his intent is for the good of the country-I can't remember the last time I felt this way.

I cringe, at the idea of Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin being in charge during these very difficult times.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Bernie's new crib, I'm impressed! I think they should house him in the "Oz" unit.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Fay - California

There is no way that Madoff should be granted bail – he's destroyed too many lives and should pay dearly for what he's done.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Brandon

Did CNN really just call young people losers in that last segment? And Babyboomers are winners because they are old and won't retire right away? What's up with that? In my eyes, an employer would much rather have a young, freshly educated, ambitious, technologically savy college grad rather than an old, out-of-touch, near retirement senior citizen. Yes they have more experience, but I am much more determined and willing to learn and adapt to the work environment. Give the younger generation some hope, CNN. After all, we are the future of this country.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Bern Houston

Very good comment on diversifying your interests or hobby's. It makes you more competitive in the hiring market.
    I think everyone needs to encourage our youth, especially those graduating form High School, and those in college doing their under -graduate work.
    My son earned his BA degree in Business, and has worked in the field and got practice doing accounting type jobs, and is now persuing his Master's Degree in Chicago, in Accountancy, and is doing very well. But the jobs, he has done in the meantime, has really prepared him for graduate study. It's all in your want to.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. louise

Hi Anderson,
    I think everybody should just give Tim Geithner a chance. He has only been in the white house for almost two months. These people are just getting used to the feel of being in the positions they are in. People jump to fast and want to judge others when they themselves have never been in there postions before. Its like, until you walk a mile in there shoes you should not criticize them. I think this man has alot of weight on his shoulders and more weight to come.

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brazil

A common cell in MCC – is well deserved!

March 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. kenneth- Wisconsin

I cannot even imagine if George Bush made a "off-handed" remark about the Special Olympics.

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

@ Madoff: Karma sucks, ey?

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  40. John Jones, Birmingham, AL

Greed and self indulgence – it what motivates Wall Street, Congress and Main Street – why not just be nice, honest, fair and do one good thing for one other person every day (or even week) – Bernie Maddoff, AIG, the wars and every other problem we're dealing with would go away

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Kelly in FL

Madoff is not the ony one guilty.. there will be many more we will see go down.. mannnnnnnnnnny more guilty of taking our money!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Dodie from Irvine, CA

He was found guilty! he needs to stay in jail!!! until sentenced

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Tanya

I'm glad we now have a president who can walk and chew gum at the same time! Sharon......now is the time we need to laugh! Yes, things are difficult, but if all we do is moan about it, instead of realizing that things WILL GET BETTER.......you might as well get in bed and never get out!

The President is interacting with the people of America.........and I'm glad.

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Isabel, Brazil

Madoff is reaping what he planted – all the evil that has ...

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Mike in Texas

President Obama on Jay Leno –

In no way should President Obama be criticized for being on the Tonight Show. It really shows how human and down to earth he is.
    Other politicians who say this is a mistake and he's not paying attention to his responsibilities are just jealous.

As far as his comment about the Special Olympics I'm sure we'll hear all about that from Rush Limbaugh tomorrow. I'm sure the President meant no malicious harm to the program.

March 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow! The White House was all over that statement! They apparently wanted to put out the embers before the flames were fanned!

March 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Cessy – I spent last semester working with a lobbyist and a class full of individuals on drafting new disability legislation, much of it aimed at stigma reduction. I can tell you that the President's remarks seriously hit me the wrong way.

March 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That comment was out of line. Frankly, that was something I would have expected from Biden.

March 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Amanda LaPorte Laurie, MO

We've heard about winners and losers, young vs. old, etc. What about adult students (Im 33) with work experience (I am currently a Realtor) going to school with a major in History?

March 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Sharon S

I don't want the President on Talk shows and making speeches and talking to people! Why would I? What is the purpose?
    Didn't he do that enough when he was running for office?

Shouldn't Obama know by now what people want? IF he does not then you all picked the Wrong man for the job!!

He needs to be in DC doing HIS JOB! How can he work when he is on talk show after talk show speeck after speech?

He isn't Anderson Cooper!

March 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |