March 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/19/09

Here's your chance to give your feedback on the show and talk with our anchors, reporters, and producers. Join the Live Blog!

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Steve

Good evening.
    I'm as upset as all of you are.
    Geitner says that he had the bonus clause taken out because he was afraid it wouldn't hold up in court. Is that true? If it is, then it was a reasonable decision, and we ought to move on.
    If it isn't true, well, then the outrage at the administration is justified.

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

Please people who are writing about the Special Olympics remark...i do not think it was meant to be insulting.

I have a brother with Down's Syndrome and he has a Great sense of humor and would very likely love to meet President Obama.

I like one bloggers suggestions...have a Special Olympics event at the White House, it would be a great time and experience for everyone.

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Mike

Obama, Special Olympics, bowling, tonight show... millions jobless

Let's stick to the real news, there's plenty.

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. James from TN

nody read the bill how'd they know those bonuses were in there?

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to ALL! I am enjoying the shows this week! It's nice to hear, from the people,What's really going on out there.Fresh ideas,fresh faces and lots of enthusiasm.I hope it's contagious!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Lee

I've just come to realize something. The only difference between Madoff and Frank, Dodd and Rangle is at least Madoff was man enough to say I'm guilty. We the people will accept your resignation at any time.

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

John. I don't believe a word of it. I think Geithner is in deeper than he is willing to admit.

March 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Tom from Philly

@ dorothy from earlier, i agree, completely, he was insulting himself, saying he couldnt win a bowling game in an unfair match, if the odds were stacked in his favor

March 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Mary Jo from Pa

I have worked with the disabled for the last 35 years. Relative to President Obamas comments about Special Olympics – I know those who are handicapped are the first who would join the president in sharing a laugh about his special olympics comment. They are no different than the majority of those in the world who enjoy a smile and I don't believe they will take offense to his comment.

March 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Rob -tx

Tax , fine, sue, whatever it takes to get our money back just move on to
    Something more productive.

March 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. mike - moreland, ga

Andersen, you work at night on CNN, you do other shows in the morning and during the day, when do you ever sleep?

March 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. AG

Geithner is incompetent. Can't pay his taxes. Can't instill any confidence in the financial markets. He oversaw the AIG bailout and TARP 1 as the head of the New York Fed. Do you think there were any backroom deals done? He's been touted since OCT/NOV to be head of Treasury and his prior experience was going to save this.
    As for entry level jobs for college grads. Do something different. Go into the military, serve your country, test yourself. On top of that the military will assit in repayment of school debts. You'll get the opportunity to lead Soldiers, be accountable lives and property valued in the millions in a challenging time. Make a direct change in people's lives throughout the world. Most, if not all college grads come into the military as officers. Your service obligation is normally 36-48months. Think about it.

March 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Lori from IL

Anderson on Ellen - the big question - did he dance?

March 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Sharon S

Anderson how nice of you to always find time to stop by Ellen and do a show with her!

March 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Maria

Most of the crowd are in debt

March 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Its too bad they don't have those in prison or jail be put to work instead of watching TV or working out. That way, it would give us taxpayers some relief! We certainly need that....

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Cherry B - Ms

Hello Randi and Tom, so glad you're both here tonight. I don't really know what to say concerning Geithner. His job has to be so so incredibly overwhelming. Yes, I know he shouldn't have taken it if he didn't think he could do it, bu still....

I think this is all trial and error because none of this has ever happened this way before. If this administration is truly trying to change the way the government has been, then it's a monumental task and they will make mistakes.

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Robin in Tampa, FL

I think the issue is that everyone in these times are very sensitive to how money is being spent by the government. Treasury probably lost sight of this because they are working with trillions of dollars. In these times everyone is tightening their belts ... hopefully Treasury and congress got the message loud and clear this time.

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Deatrice, buffalo new york

I don't understand why there is so much criticism about president obama. He was given a full plate when he came into the White House by the Bush Administration. He is trying to fix the economy, there is no harm in him appearing on the Jay Leno show. I wish the American people will focus on solutions to help the economy instead of so much criticism on our new government. If we the American people cannot come together, how do we expect to come together with other countries. Just remember other countries are watching our ridiculous behavior (think about it).

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Fay - California

I agree that the President simply misspoke when he reference the Special Olympics – no reasonable person would think that he actually meant to be insulting.

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. James

AIG is not the only one to receive excessive bonuses, will the other recipients be required to return the funds? legally I can`t imagine any court of law standing behind the House bill to tax the bonuses at 90%. First of all, how could this bill be made retroactive and without breaking legal and binding contracts. Congress needs to be more dilligent in future bailouts and start acting on behalf of the taxpayer.

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Michelle, Obama was a Senator when all this was building up. Do you blame him too?

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Allan from Canada

About AIG there is no company in the world that borrows money to pay bonuses. If the company does not make money it does not pay bonuses to management. Companies do not go to the bank (or in this case bailout money) to pay bonuses for a company that almost went under!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

My hand definitely would have been up after that questions! 10's of thousands of debt in the way of student loans and I was debating going to grad school in the fall...after listening to this Q&A session...maybe I'll work a little bit longer before I go back to school! Thanks for the bits of advice! 🙂

March 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Scott

There are not many people who actually retire with the job they got a degree in

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Maren in Oregon

Good Night, Everyone!

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Bill Kirby

I'd like to know how much the lawyers for AIG made off the fraudulent transaction they perpetuated with the US GOVT. I want the US GOVT to not only hold them accountable but hang em high. B&C Maryland, home of the free.

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Bridget, TX

I find it funny with the outraged about the president out meeting and having town hall meetings with his employees. "He should stay in Washington and work, he shouldn't go on Leno, because he should be handling the financial crisis.... GW never held a townhall meeting and stayed in Washington that is when he wasn't taking one of his many vacation, yet he did nothing.

The country was falling apart under his watch and we never saw the man. Why have the rules and expectations changed?

During P. O's transition before being sworn in, we had public outcry that P.E. O should come out and reassure the people, come out and talk to the people, Now he's coming out and trying to reassure the people and people are still screaming foul.

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Jonathan Wilson

What is amazing to me is that we knew at least twenty five years ago that our manufacturing jobs were going to disappear. Now it seems to be a big shocker to everyone. My question is what is going to happen to all the medical jobs once we have flooded it with personel because of the boomers. When the boomers are gone the will become low paying jobs as well.

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Sandy V

I can not belive how some individuals are so quick to criticize President Obama in what, less than 100 days? What did our country endure for 8 YEARS? And where are we because of it? I believe Obama truly wants a non-partisan US of A, all working together! However, some folks are obviously putting their feet down, like a child throwing a tandrum, not even considering new ideas. And the criticism that he's learning on the "fly", what president didn't? Do you know of a "president" with previous experience? I'm truly disgusted in the attitudes of the folks that "represent" us. Lets all put aside our egos and focus on our country, its been years since we have!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Dodie from Irvine, CA

A suggestion they could do is volunteer where they want to work and often they will be hired on. Where I work, that happens a lot. Actually most people hired is because they did an internship

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Scott S

Its a slippery slop when the Government can target a feww individuals. Were does it stop. HMMMMMMMMM was that not tried before?

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Tom from Philly

so are we selectively listening to what we want or are some news sources not reporting everything. The ENTIRE clause about ceo limits pay/bonus, was going to be removed in conference unless the date restriction was included. Why are we not demanding cspan coverage and minutes online of the "closed' hearings where blood and guts are seemingly drawn, might just show the true colors of our elected officials

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Joe

Obama's comment about the special olympics was really bad. He shoudl have issued an apology right away before the end of the news cycle tonight. Amazing what happens when the teleprompter is taken away from him.

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Debt forgiveness? Is that like when we all stop paying our credit cards or mortgage payments? Sign me up!

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. barbara

Yes, we should get the money back. I don't want to pay anyone bonuses, especially in the amounts these people received. If this was put up to a vote with the American people, they would most definitely be getting the $165 million back. I don't respect our politicians for for allowing this to happen, but the error needs to be fixed and we need to stop being taken advantage of .

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. LorenaR

re AIG: The ninety-percent tax makes me uneasy. Will there be a precedent for future actions, to punish people? NPR mentioned something about a bill of attainder which i remember vaguely from high school civics. something about taxation as punishment.

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Bob Coyle

Thoes Bonuses may just be the tip of the iceburg. A full investigation and audit needs to be done to determine the full extent of the fraud.
    This could just be a carrot on a stick to let us vent our anger and hide other distributions of wealth that may not be as simple to see.

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

Rachel@hofstra:
    the biggest donor to my school lost millions to Madoff!

March 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Cessy, Chicago

Obama's comment on "special olympics" –an honest mistake? more like an irresponsible comment! very inappropriate in times like this. I dont see Anderson laughing either...

March 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Jen

Anderson, I don't think "mistake" is the correct terminology really. It was a decision based on Treasury's best judgment from their expertise on contract law and financial business. It has been a political misstep because the results have been so unpopular, but that does not mean their reasoning wasn't sound.

March 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Paul, OH

I'm feeling the tuition hike so badly I've got to switch colleges.

I worked really hard these last 2 years and, if I stayed at my current college in the US, I could finish in just 1 more year. But because the costs are increasing, I'm moving back to Canada. The shift will cause my degree to change– all my American politics studies are out the window, and I'll have to replace them with Canadian-focused classes– and keep me in school for 2 more years.

But it's a great deal cheaper, so that's the plan.

March 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Barbara in Boston

Thanks, Tom, you just gave me the best news about being an aging boomer than I've had in a while. I work in healthcare, a service industry, and I'm a boomer. Looks like I win in all three categories.

Woo-hoo. Guess I can go buy my dream house.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Shawyn

Instead of taxing the AIG Bonus', why don't we force the payments to be made in the worthless stock they have created, then make it so that they aren't fully vested in it unitl it comes back to the price it was before this fiasco, then watch how fast the company gets turned around.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Scott S

I wish the United States will STOP before it is too late. All this stimulas and TARP is going to destroy the USA. If I was to run my household like the government is. I would be in the street.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Marion C

Don't worry Jonathan, Dodd will NEVER get re-elected.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I really like Tom's "winner and losers" segments. Sometimes he really surprises me.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Derrick

Obama can't catch a break. People criticize everything he does or doesn't do. To expect the Republicans to like anything he does is asking for a miracle. They've drawn their position and will not deviate from the required talking points. His own party is no better. Personally, I'm tired of Congress – period. They've all been in office too long. In order to get them out of office they have to get caught committing a serious crime or die.

It's time for America to take accountability. If we complain about our government we have no one to blame but ourselves. If you don't like them, kick them out. Otherwise, stop whining.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Doug

Maybe the AIG Corporate Exec bonus legislation exposes a soft underbelly of Congress... that perhaps our legislators should personally read proposed legislation before they vote. It appears that the professional staffers of powerful politicians are actually running our country...into the ground.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Robert - Ft. Lauderdale

@ Randi –

Geithner has inherited a lot of mess, just as Obama's whole administration. Everybody seems to be adding pork and pushing/inserting papers everywhere as the system is SO broken.
    No true oversight or check and balance. And everyone is so good at pointing fingers rather than stepping up to bat and making something work.

And, as far as being on Leno, I have seen and heard more from Obama in less than 60 days than I have from Bush in his final 6 years in office.

March 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |