March 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/19/09

Here's your chance to give your feedback on the show and talk with our anchors, reporters, and producers. Join the Live Blog!

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lee

Good evening Anderson,
    I am very upset at the AIG bonuses but I am more upset that Congress can screw this up makeup new laws to cover their tracks. This is outrageous! Charlie Rangle outraged? He should be taxed 90% as well as Frank and Dodd! You people in the media should stop playing games with the American people and expose all the hypocrites in Congress. As far as I'm concerned they are getting my money, unearned, as well. The tax they passed in worse than paying the bonuses. Chuck Schumer said don't worry about a tiny 200 million, now he is worried about 165? Impeach the whole Congress!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama had no business going on "The Tonight Show" with so many things going wrong. He should have been working on the AIG bonus situation among other things.

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

The Leno stint probably took 40 minutes tops out of the President's time... hardly a waste of precious time!

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Jack Evans

Obama needs to take ownership of the TARP and Stimulus Bill and resolve the issues by reading the legislation and working the problems. He should not be traveling to the Leno Show because he is incapable of doing the show and passing competent legislation.

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Gloria

Re: Obama/Sp Olympics comment. Get over it. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. Gloria

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. mommyof 2nwv

I also agree with Lauren of NY... the President isn't hurting our economy by doing Leno... I think Bush did enough of that in 8 yrs of doing nothing.... Obama still has my full support!

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Jackie -Santa Maria

You got to be kidding – basketball picks – Jay Leno – he won the election! Not with my vote! He needs to stop campaining – start firing some people – put the blame where it belongs with Dodd – Peolosi – Reid -Frank and Geitner. Stop raising our taxes to pay for this mess and tell Congress they are all going to work for one dollar a year until this mess is cleaned up or NO BIG retirement package for them!

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. patricia weber

I do not think for one minute the that Mr. Obama would ever make a malicious intentional comment about those who have special needs. i believe his comment meant they would need to have a special type Olympics for ineptness not physical challenges. he was making fun of himself/

9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Rikki...I think it's a little too common for our President to be on a variety/talk show. I don't like it at all. Although, I applaud his gumption and trying to keep the office within reach of average Americans.

10. Anupam

What worries me is lawmakers making emotional decisions versus practical ones.

Anupam, Arlington, VA

11. Tom from Philly

yeah yea some repupicans voted against tarp but the deregulation and dissolution of anti trust laws is a republican thing, tarp didnt make this mess, copanies too big to fail that took too many risks did

12. Scott Stewart

The White house trying to get back the bonus's is unconstitional. You might as well burn the Bill of rights

13. Dorothy Tucker

Robinhood robbed the rich to give to the poor. AIG robbed the poor to give to the rich.

My husband and I live on Social Security, must pay $1240 income tax, and live in a mobile home. Wonder what the AIG millionaires will do with our "donation".

14. Ron Magee

The fact that the president was on the Jay Leno show makes me happy. Its about time we have a "regular American" in the white house instead of an oil injected hypocrite.

15. Christine

As heinous as the actions of AIG heads is, I think that they got stuck taking the heat from angry politicians as well as the public. The contracts require bonuses so there is nothing that anyone can do. Unless the company is nationalized, President Obama can't get involved. It's messed up but the only thing that can be done now is to change the laws so that it does not happen again.

16. Isabel, Brazil

Besides the economic crisis, a political crisis

It seemed it was only a economic crisis, but now it seems that is having a political crisis in government. The problem is that Timothy Geithner knew that the AIG would pay millionaires bonuses to their executives.

And at this time everything conspires against. Everyone remembers that story that Timothy Geithner had not collected tax on the income earned when he was an official of the IMF.

17. randicnn

so what do you all think? did the treasury department mess up here? are there mixed messages? President Obama hasn't put any blame on Geithner but Geithner says he approved the loophole for companies that get government money to hand out those bonuses. So how big a problem is this for Geithner?

18. Janine from PA.

Maybe we wouldn't be in so much debt if all these companies had been taxed properly in the first place. How many of them have overseas accounts that avoid being taxed? And why try to get the bonus money back? Congress will just waste it again.

19. Nicole H

President Obama, I'm sure, didn't mean anything by the "special olympic" comment. I know he should have probaby thought about it first, but we are all guilty of word "vomit". A person, not in the spotlight, probably would have made a comment like that, and heck...the actual Special Olympics wouldn't even take me! They would laugh in my face and tell me there's no hope! (Seriously!)

20. Maria

I agree with the bonuses being taxed, this is ridiculous already. If an example is not set I don't know where we are headed with the abuses. I say enough is enough and we the people are fed up!

21. CHale

I do not think that the President meant anything by the special Olympics comment. I do think that he will ask questions about the AIG bonuses on Capital Hill

22. Vanessa, TX

Good evening Anderson, Randi and all my smartees..
    I'm all for taxing those bonuses, but this might create a legal mess that can cost more in the future..It was written on their contracts..but I hope that they tax every cent.

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Mike Syracuse, NY

How could Obama be expressing outrage on one hand when his own administration was pushing to put loopholes into the stimulus to let them keep the bonuses? Does he not know what his administration is doing, or is he lying?

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Beth

President Obama's appearance on Leno just shows how much more accessible and less afraid of public scrutiny this administration is vs. the last one. Sure, he'll make some gaffes talking with comedians but at least he is out there. Of course he supports Americans who are disabled, it was just an off the cuff comment. Maybe Republicans should spend less time trying to get on-air face time criticizing Obama (who can walk and chew gum at the same time) and get to work themselves! It's called consensus-building, people.

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Sharon S

Change well we see plenty of change all for the worse!

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. dorothy

as the wife of a wheel chair- bound husband, i assure you there is no insult to either my husband or i from obama's special olympics comment. it parallels remarks about rehab, and other such trivia.

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Allan

Although I do not live in the USA and I am a Canadian we closely watch Obama. He reaches the ordinary person people have a confidence when a president reaches out to them directly through a talk show like Jay Leno. The first president to be on a late night talk show anyone who coments to the negative on that is just simply jealous thats it plain and simple!! Way to go Obama!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Bonnie

Our government and the American citizens allowed all the bonuses paid out; we should just quit yellin about it and go after all Senators and Congresspersons who should be held responsible.

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. William

Anderson....you suggets that the Dems are trying to cover their tracks....the way i see it is they screwed up and are taking actions to fix it. What is the GOP doing? I perfer to see my congress react to the public out cry....thats what i want from my government!!!

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good evening Randi Kaye CNN

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Aristoteli Dorizas

The AIG bonuses are something that the attorney general really needs to step lightly around. If the folks that are receiving these bonuses are working class and based on their contract with AIG and their performance are receiving these bonuses... If for some reason they are asked to give them up and they choose to do so then that's their decision not the attorney general...

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Louise

Hi Randi! 🙂

I think Tim Geithner is being unfairly used as a scapegoat for the public anger. Poor guy is only trying to do the job he was asked to do. Times are tough and he can't be expected to fix everything overnight.

33. Maren in Oregon

@At Tom: No one can make YOU look like a bad guy!

34. Marion C

Senator Dodd is an embarassment to Connecticut.

35. Shanna

I love how people are so quick to judge the President for going on Leno and trying to reach a broader audience. GOD FORBID he get out in the Nation and talk to people to see how they feel about things! This whole AIG situation is a mess, and one person can not fix everything!

Congress makes me laugh... I just love how quick they are to call for a thorough investigation when it comes to money, and how slow and reluctant they were/are to deeply and truthfully investigate 9/11!

What a laughable bunch they are.

36. Bryan

First we hear of the millions paid out by AIG in bonuses using taxpayer money now we hear that 13 companies who received TARP funds have failed to pay their Federal Taxes totalling over $200 million!!! Doesn't this Administration evaluate any of these companies prior to dolling out billions????

37. Tino, Denville, NJ

The gov't loaned AIG money that will likely be paid back with interest but now they want to tax that money which AIG chose to use to pay bonuses also? Will AIG get to deduct the tax from the amount they owe the gov't? The gov't spends $400 Million per hour now. The congress is clearly asleep at the switch.

38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"...many of the recipients of those AIG “bonuses” don’t even live in the U.S. How does taxing the bonuses at 90% affect those people that don’t reside in the U.S.?"

That's really interesting and I'd like to see that question get asked.

39. Lori from IL

Randi - looking forward to Ali's interview with Tim Geithner -

I'm guessing that those calling for his resignation are only looking to place blame - seems like congress is more interested in placing blame than trying to fix the "big" picture.

40. Minou, New York City

HI Tom and Randi!

41. Burhan Karaalp

President Obama has a sense of humor
    Republicans has no sense

42. Jonathan Wilson

Good evening all! How much did it cost the country for the president to travel to the Jay Leno Show. Then he had the nerve to make a joke about disabled people and the Special Olympics.

43. Jacqueline, NY

Hi Randi Kaye!
    Hey look, everyone. Randi Kaye has a picture.
    Nice pic Randi.

44. Henry A. Ramirez

Good Lord, people need to stop being so serious. President Obama is doing everything he can do to fix the mess Mr. W put us in. Senators talking about brackets, remember our president is human, he needs to relax also.

45. nisa

Hi all,
    I donot understand why they have to give away the bonuses,when they could have stopped it before

????

46. Reginald Reglus

I am amazed at how close the Republicans are watching President Obama looking for him to fail. They really have nothing positive to offer. We, the American people don't want politics, we want them to work with the President and come up with workable solutions. Please stop all of this foolish fingerpointing.

47. Sharon S

Obama just might be able to handle something if only he were in his office trying to!
    Not on talk shows and out in the public eye!

What is he thinking? The Election is OVER! He won, not by me but he did win no do YOUR job!

How can he run a Government on the road trying to be some RockStar?

March 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Scott

I wish congress would just admit the truth. They are there to better themselves and make money. They don't care about us or our families. They are all guilty of the problems.

March 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Cessy, Chicago

AIG on bonuses....Obama on the Late Night show...both gets a thumbs down

March 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hope Ali asked Geithner what he knew about the AIG bonuses and when he knew it. I'd like to get that on record.

March 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |