March 19th, 2009

Dad disappears

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/19/art.vert.crime.anderson.jpg caption="Kurt Anderson has been missing since March 3rd." width=292 height=320]

Gabriel Falcon
AC360° Writer

March 3rd began as an ordinary day for Kurt Anderson and his family. On that Tuesday morning, the married father of three drove one of his kids to school in Sacramento, California. The child left the car and headed for class. The father put his foot on the gas pedal and drove away. But Anderson has not been seen since.

Did Anderson deliberately abandon his family? Is he running away from someone or something? Police have no answers.

They are, however, looking for Anderson and have classified him as a missing person.

Before he vanished, Anderson called work and said he would be in late. About that same time, he was allegedly caught on surveillance tape withdrawing cash from a grocery store bank.

Police say the video does not indicate foul play, according to local media reports.

Now – three weeks later – investigators have very few leads other than his car – a 2004 white Honda with the license plate #5EBD206.

Anderson is 51-years-old, 6’0, weighs 215 lbs, and has green eyes.

Take a look at the photographs in the Sacramento Police Department media release. If you recognize Anderson or the vehicle, contact the department at 916-443-HELP or send a text to 274637 and enter SACTIP.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. sher

Mike is a loser, he's the desperate one in the bars picking up bar flys–I agree, I hope this man is o.k. if he did leave his family, I consider him a coward. No matter how tough things get, you stick it out. For your kids if anything. Society is full of cowards, that's why we're in the mess we're in.
    I feel for his family not knowing, his family needs support from the community. Mary, I suggest you live in the real world, family abandonment happens more than people realize, it happened in the Great Depression too, along with suicide and murder. Comment blogs are for people to express their opinion, whether we like it or not. I don;t agree with mike, but hey, everyone is entitled to be stupid.

March 19, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  2. jenny

Hey Mike,
    Clearly, you have a microscopic "package" and can't get a decent gal to show you any attention/respect/love.
    Hopefully, you will remain single and mate-less forever! you deserve it!!!

March 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  3. DUCKS up

Just dad????

March 19, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  4. Caroline, Los Angeles

I once met a man who was the friend of a woman whose husband was a pastor. They had five kids together and the wife was a homemaker. The husband did what this man did. One day he simply left and didn't return. The wife heard from him a few days or weeks later. He said he just couldn't be a part of the family anymore.

It happens.

A joke I heard once: "He said he was leaving his family to spend more time with his work."

March 19, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  5. Jennifer

I don't agree with Teresa that he had a mid-life crisis. Did you notice he is 51? Since the average life span is not 102, 51 would not be mid-life. Anything could have happened. Accident, abduction, murder, he split...people need to have some tact.

March 19, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

3 people (at least) in comments say this man has already returned home. If he has I'm glad for his family and surprised that CNN didn't check out the accuracy of the story. If he hasn't then I hope for his family's sake that he turns up ok and comes home to them.

March 19, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  7. gwen

mike whoever u are u are sick!! and same with u others who agree with him it's sad and vanie u are a nice person and i will pray for those people too and you too whatever you need to be prayed 4

March 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  8. Mary

With so little facts how is it that so many people seems to know why and what happened. Amazing! Automatically it seems when a man goes missing he is dumping his family and when a woman goes missing her husband must have dumped her somewhere after killing her.

He may have been taking money out of the bank to buy starbucks on the way to work. It does not say if it was 20.00 or 200.00. it's just as possible in this economic nightmare we are all living that someone robbed him as it is that he bailed out on his family?

And why call in late to work? Why call at all if you aren't showing? and attempting to hide something?

Nothing adds up. Get facts then comment on the why , when you know what the "why" is... until then pray like this is somone you care about or recognize that others do .

March 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  9. dms

THIS GUY RETURNED HOME 3 DAYS AGO - 3/16/09. Thanks, CNN staff, for being so up-to-the-minute.

March 19, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  10. Paulette

With the country in the shape it is in... There are so many what ifs. We have many crimnals watching atm's for someone to target, then we have car-jackings, etc. Maybe prayer would be better than accusations or our conclusions. I personally know of a person car-jacked. They assumed she just took off. They found her car a year before they found her body.

March 19, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  11. Lin

Before eveyone jumps to the conclusion that this man skipped out on his family, you may want to take a deep breath. He and his car could have been hijacked, etc.

March 19, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  12. LeAnn

he came home on Saturday the 14th. They haven't said where he went or why, just that he came home.

March 19, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  13. a

Why is it that when a woman dissapears, it's kidnapping or murder? And when a man dissapears, he's left his family? Media...either way, I hope he is alright...very sad.

March 19, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  14. LeAnn

He came home on Saturday the 14th. Nothing has ever been said about where he was or where he went......

March 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  15. Angelle Ann

Sad to read these comments. Seriously people.....why do the majority think the worst? Let's give him a break and pray for his safe return...or at least hope for his safe return.

March 19, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  16. Brenda

Sounds to me like he is just missing. 1. He has a job so he is better then most now-a-days 2. He called to say he was late 3. As for the money that may be why he is late. People, how many times did you have to stop at the ATM on the way to work... Lets help find him then go by facts; for he could be one of the ones we read about that went of the side of the road, pinned in his vehicle, and is out of view from the road

March 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  17. James

How much did he withdraw the last day? $20 for gas or $20,000? He called in late to work, so maybe he ran off the road – as has happened before to people – while heading for gas. I hope he is found soon for the sake of his family. May god bless and watch over them all. Pastor James

March 19, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  18. stacey

We had a similar incident with a man-just gone. A few years after the fact a new detective went to work on the case. They found his car in a retention pond not far from his home. His family went through all the hell of speculation. If there are ponds around there I hope the cops don't overlook this possibility.

March 19, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  19. Marco Perez

sad

March 19, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  20. Kennedy

Hmm. I think he ditched! Well, that sucks for them im mean seriously. Well,

March 19, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  21. Marco Perez

thats sad but what worst is some horrible father who locked his daughter in a celler for 24 years raping her constantly untill she had 7 kids and he even did it infront of them

March 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  22. Jennifer

wow sad i bet if he wass taking money out he might have had to pay someone back depending on how much at least. what if it wasent enough and he had to run or something

March 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  23. Jen

Echo what in the world are you talking about. People have every legal right to disapper. Now things like child support are another matter.

The only time when a person gets into trouble is if they file a false police report. i.e. runaway bride who said she was kidnapped. THEN restitution comes into play.

Some people just choose to walk away it is selfish and rude but legal.

March 19, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  24. mc

dought he ran away no evidence of that either and if no activity on credit cards or banks anywere for three weeks this mans dead, if it was a mother with three kids missing with no trace people would be saying something different right? He even had plans to go to work why call your employer to tell them your going to be late why not just call in right?

March 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  25. Vanie

To Mike – I hope his wife and kids never read comments regarding this story ..yours would be rather hurtful to them.
    And Linette you are right people are well within there rights to do what they feel they need in there life ..there is a right and wrong way to take care of things if you are unhappy and this is the wrong way if that is the real case.... however I think we all know that stories like these dont usually end well
    I do hope all will turn out well and will keep them in my prayers.

March 19, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  26. Arnie

Probably could not cope with his present life. Not a very smart thing to ditch your family and responsibilities. This would be a coward thinking only of himself. I hope that he works it out and comes back to his family alive.

March 19, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  27. SSgt Bourland

One day I will withdraw money and disappear as well...... very good plan.

March 19, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  28. joanna

Sounds to me like he's running away from a shady deal. Even if that's not the case, shame on him for leaving his children! It makes him a big coward!

March 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  29. Dee

Wow! You people are so thoughtless..
    You have no idea if this guy has been abducted, had an accident which no one has discovered yet or if there are potentially more sinister motives involved.

My heart goes out to the family. I hope his is found and I will wait for further information before deciding that the guy did a runner on his family because he's gone missing. Have some tact, guys.
    And seriously, Mike.. obviously there's a reason you're still single.

March 19, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  30. JenH

Well, if he did run away, I am glad he chose to do that instead of the murder/suicide thing.

March 19, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  31. Echo

I wonder if he'll have to pay for the cost of them searching for him like women have to...

Either way, I hope he is ok, and his family is doing well.

March 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  32. angie

I'm glad he just drop the kids off.....when you read articles like this it always turns out murder-sucide. This man might be going through some personal issue in his life, some cowards take it out on the family. I'm glad he didnt harm the kids. I hope everything with this story comes out okay.

March 19, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  33. Bob

Linnette if they find this guys body in a ditch somewhere would that be considered a new exciting life? what happened to not passing judgement?

March 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  34. linette

Some people are just plain tired of their ordinary lives. Anderson is well within his rights to junk his present life for a new, exciting one; I only wish he thought of his children's rights as well.

March 19, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  35. Mari

Very sad.

March 19, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  36. mike

3 kids and a wife no wonder he disappeard !!!! free at last !!!!

March 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  37. Teresa

Not a whole lotta info here, but with the age, 51, my best guess is some sort of mid-lifer.

I hope he is ok and that he at least calls home to let the fam know he is alive.

March 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  38. Michael "C" Lorton, VA

Unless the economy starts to show its brighter face-–I fear that we will be reading about more and more Kurt Andersons disappearing--when you cannot cope-–the next best thing is to escape-–I hope they find him.

March 19, 2009 at 1:14 pm |