March 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/16/09

Tonight on AC360°, A-I- Jeez Louise! Outrage tonight at the insurance giant over its latest round of bonuses – this time the billions are lining the pockets of the very people who practically ran the company into the ground. President Obama is furious, so is New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo...along with millions of Americans tired of where their taxpayer bailout money is ending up. We want to keep the live blog on this one topic. So, please share your thoughts on AIG below.

And, don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast on the AIG outrage during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David Gergen

Hello again - Time did not permit a close read of all of your many great comments about AIG. By my rough count, there was a strong majority for option (b) above - tell anyone from AIG who accepts a bonus that we can't stop you from taking the money, but we can stop you from working here anymore - you are fired!

Some of you felt that the govt could not breach the contracts, even if it wanted; others felt that corporate contracts are regularly renegotiated (e.g., UAW). But the vast majority of you are really, really angry –and as hardworking taxpayers, you are right!

To Judy Hansen and a couple of others: Attorney General Andrew Cuomo of NY is pushing AIG hard to get the names of those on the bonus list.

Thanks again.

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Tony Waynesville, IL

Who is charge at AIG? Places where I got bonuses was determined on your work performance. With that said, I believe the employees of AIG owes the company money, not them receiving the bonuses. AIG, your employees ruined your name, the American Taxpayers bail you out, giving the US government 80%, and you have the nerve to give our money to the employees that put you in this mess. What's wrong with this picture?

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Alpharetta GA

Anderson,
    One side, ordinary people are struggling to pay for their food.
    Other side, government is feeding ordinary people's hard dollar to the losers who are responsible for all this mess!
    Government is making my stomach sick.

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Sam

Dr. Phil's advice have the kids feed the neighbors cat? Time for a reality check...

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  5. karen leigh

Let AIG fail. Stop the madness and the $$. I feel like they are holding us hostage and just rubbing all of this bonus/bad behavior in our faces. The economy is still in big trouble and its still business as usual for AIG. This will not change until they are made to realize that the ride is over, no more brazen and reckless behavior will be tolerated. Say bye bye to them!

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  6. Cessy, Chicago

Hey Anderson! Come and visit us here in CHICAGO! Bring Randi, Erica and Mr. Gergen with you 😀

March 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  7. Lisa-StLouis

Thanks AIG. What you've done is essentially like '911'. You've committed financial terrorism, not just in the US but across the global as well. A very clever scheme run by a few very bad guys causing hundreds of millions of good, hard-working people to pay for your sins.

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Rick A Simpson

Isnt there a way to reposess the money ?

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Glen Up North

Well, it's that time... Evening Anderson, Randi, David G, and all you bloggers/Facebookers out there. And Happy Birthday Casey Jones! 🙂

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Cristy Kirssin

I enjoyed the conservation tips from Dr. Phil + Anderson looks Great!!

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Alex

I myself do not have the best way to get out of the poop that we ALL are in but what these CEOs of AIG are taking my money to feed their family while I have to lose my job and wonder how I am going to feed my daughters would the CEOs please explain to me how they think they are able to get the bonuses they are recieving because I don't under stand. Alex Giles thank you ac360

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  12. Lauren--NY

Great show, AC360 team. Thanks for taking us on the road this week, especially to NOLA. I wish Anderson continued safe travel. Best to everyone, and I'll see you tomorrow night!

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  13. Cherry B - Ms

Great advice from Dr Phil! He's uses what we all need to, common sense, Hope everyone has a great night and day tomorrow!

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Maren in Oregon

Great Show! Terrific energy! This is the right Road to be on. Good night Anderson, goodnight AC 360.

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  15. Karl

As small business owner who's struggling to jump start an exciting idea, how do we specifically tap into this money? There are so many websites and emails offering ways to get grant money. How do we tell which ones are legit?

Thanks

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Nattada, Houston, TX

Thanks Dr.Phil for your advices.

Good night Anderson. Stay safe on your travel.
    Good night Randi, Ali, David Gergen and AC 360 team.

Good start of the week!

Have a good Tuesday everyone.
    Sweet dreams!!

March 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Linda

Is the president giving a stimulus check to people with Social Security as their only income???? I would appreciate an answer. I have tried every way I know of to find out. Thanks a Lot

18. Dana H. from Bay Area

I think if AIG employees decide to quit because they don't get their bonuses, I'm not going to loose sleep over it. I'm sure there's enough people out there looking for work where they could be replaced in a matter of days. If the government had never given AIG a bail out, not only would those employees not be getting a bonus but they would probably be out of a job too. At my job even though we didn't get raises this year we did get bonuses but they were based on our performance. It would be interesting to hear one of these employees explain why they deserve a bonus.

19. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson!

Good night, David (Indiana), Megan, Casey, Gayle, Esma, Rikki, Brandi, Betty Ann, Vanessa, …

Happy birthday, Casey!

20. Renee

@ Dr. Phil: School pictures are $42. Not $11.25.

21. Bridget, TX

@John, you said it based on "my accomplishment' what accomplishments can the execs at AIG lay claim to?

22. Linda

I live to hear about real problems people are having struggling to keep their homes and they families feed, not a guy who has a big house, and apt in NYC and paying for his wife/ex-wife place. So the kids won't have a vacation or be able to have their afterschool goodys, no hockey/soccer trips, boo hoo. I was a little insulted that CNN actually had this guy on.

23. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson Cooper,

Today your rest is deserved. Do the show, live, and in the streets, is legal but should be much more tiring.

Great show today! Congratularions! And thanks!

Good sleep!
    See you tomorrow!

24. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good night everyone... Now I need to go and get something for my indigestion!

25. Don, WA

I'm hearing that AIG is too big and important to fail, that it would affect too many different areas of the economy. I'm thinking that no one corporation should be that big and important – it's part of the reason they feel they can do whatever they want I think.

26. kim

I am outraged about AIG's disgraceful action with these so called "bonuses" My husband has been quite an asset for AIG over the years (he is no way involved in what is going on at the moment). Not only are these million dollar bonuses outrageous – my husband & his office were informed last year there will be no raises for he & all the employees that report to him & he also is not able to be re-imbursed anymore for the "little things" he does for his employees such as coffee & donuts & bagels he brought in for them as a way of saying "thanks for a job well done" They were also informed they would not have a Christmas party. There is more – please also make sure to mention AIG also has good hard-working dedicated employees such as my husband. A very disgruntled AIG wife & taxpayer.

27. Vanessa- Silver Spring MD

Goodnight ALL. Talk to yall tomorrow.

28. Leo, FL

AIG should shorten it's name to AG as for American Greed.

29. Greg Taite

Let AIG Fail. Request the taxpayer funding be returned. Make a Government funded replica of AIG without their greedy workers. At first I agreed with the bailout......but, now I'm thinking they didn't need the money if they can afford bonus payouts.

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  30. Maureen, Georgia

Goodnight everyone, I'm pulling my money out of AIG tomorrow. I agree with you SAM I feel teel the same way about the guy with 3 houses.

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  31. Sabrina

Great show tonight Anderson,
    Love you going out to visit with people affected. Also enjoyed your format which provides solutions to the current situation.

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Rafael Bronx,NY

Well Good Night AC360 and Anderson and my fellow bloogers.

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  33. Cessy, Chicago

great advice from Dr. Phil! we do need to stay positive.

goodnight everyone! it was a very interesting and busy night! goodnight Anderson, Randi and David...see you all tomorrow. be safe!

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone!

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  35. j.g

This is why us little people didnt want big Govt to bail them out. Because all they were gonna do is do something stupid and self serving just like this. All that "monopoly money" could have been used for the "little guys" in america- every day citizens, who work hard for the little they have and dont flaunt it. Who needs to have big homes and fancy cars? nobody.

March 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |