March 16th, 2009

L.A. mayor seeks billions

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa tells CNN's Anderson Cooper how federal stimulus dollars can spur city economy.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Economy • Road to Rescue • Unemployment
  1. Diane

Most women in their 50's+ get SSD of a little over $500 a month.What can you do with that? Why is SSD still thinking stone-age income when a trip to dr costs about $100 for 8 minutes?Can't pay rent or get a loan.No cars for people like us.But too much income for foodstamps or home help, or utilities.I eat 1 pot pie a day.Is the gov trying to kill us?

March 17, 2009 at 4:14 am |
  2. JIM CALIFORNIA

The Electric trucks at the Port Of Entries would be a step in the right direction Fuel cost there would drop I believe by at least 80%. The recharging stations would be close by.

March 16, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Miriam C

Unemployment – I think it is time we have reached a point to say "For all industry 64 is retirement"...I think 64 is retirement , right. All private/public/congress members/senators need to abide to it. Otherwise we are slowing the job for the next two generations.

March 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Miriam C

My personal opinion, Phil.
    When you start work early and you are not in the age to accept retirement, it is not going to sit well. You can sit for a week, 2 weeks at home...by the 4th week usually men go crazy and they dont take it well. Neither do men who have been active take it well.
    But above all, the matured conversation with the loved one matters – someone to talk too apart from kids and believe me, it is no fun to talk to a person who is going through depression.
    A matured loved one, a job is missing ...no way children are a close match to make up for the difference – you are comparing apples to oranges...Women are better to take it well, but men dont. I am sure you must have had actors/actresses who come to you – the concept is very simple – they are sooo active doing early hours/active life/waiting to see the result of the movie...etc., after that when they are just 35 and have to sit at home and wait for the next movie director to come, it is no fun – how many malls? How many friends places? How many vacations???? Job is necessary – it makes you move on when you are down....

March 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Miriam C

I do shop in smaller stores rather than the bigger ones. Very simple question – why do we even import creams/candles...there are so many good people who do lovely genuine products at home and trying to get a break into bigger shops. I think it is time we stopped looking at NYC and did something.

March 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Philoan Tran - Houston

@ Belton Raines – totally agree!

Anderson, please also include Texas as well if you are doing the story. Gov. Perry is taking $555 M of stimulus money to pay down Texas' budget deficit instead of contributing to the unemployment benefits even though unemployment rate has increased to 6.4%. That means increasing unemployment tax rate to existing employers which are already suffering from high margin taxes and depressed economy – highly irresponsible Republican policy.

March 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Miriam C

Is there a way we can get the small business and try to pool them into the bigger retail industry. Having worked with these bigger companies, it is a very big change for them which might take atleast 2-3 years as products are always moving for them. The aim is to get these small business, people with independant talents to sell in walmart/kmart/Target. The ultimate goal should be that, otherwise we might as well start making the other container !!!!

March 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Miriam C

Ali, I still havent seen anywhere "US government owns this business". A few countries own business , especially the ones were we people spend on regular basis. Either gas/milk/'ration shops' for lower income etc., I am not for small business personally – I think we have spent too much on allowing each company to start on their own – finally importing from other companies – buying containers/ships on country expense etc., Going forward, it should be government owned business – we have become too privatised and there is no money in the state to rotate. The treasury currenty is dependant on only our tax + printing it. Our tax money is not enough to run the show for more than 2 months – not at all. Unless we have major "day to day" expenses to be owned by government they can rotate the money and it is worth to bail out the companies...Now AIG is a private company, out of love for the people this bailout money is being talked about without any questioning which is not right to the rest of us. But that is fine, we have learnt from our mistakes.
    Even with CNN/Carton Network...etc., for the several business you'll own, when there is a bad time the company that is sinking can run for a few days with the revenue from the other.
    Even in our married life, if one job is gone the salary from the other is useful...
    Same concept on a bigger level – US government needs to own some business. Otherwise money will be blocked and we have a "rich man" which forbes will release every year and we will read !!!!

March 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson!!!!
    I am forwarding watching you right now and I agree with you.... I think we can save stimulus to pay tax to fix road and to protect taxpayers but not to pay gangs.

March 16, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Mayors have always been a good advocate for their cities.

March 16, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  11. Joy in Seattle

Fair share? Fair?

Last I checked, places like California did more then their fair share of screwing up budgets. If California and LA cannot make enough revenue in their huge economies to pay for the government spending, why should the rest of the country have to pay taxes for California's benefit.

How would it be fair to taxpayers in Florida, who had a balanced budget?

March 16, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  12. Belton Raines

Hey Anderson
    When are you going to do a inquiry on States stealing from citizens to make up for lost income? States like South Carolina.

March 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  13. George

It's about time a California politician fights for our fair share. The mayor is right that many of the policys that come out of Washington are geared towards east coast cities, mid-west suburbs and southern towns.

Los Angeles is home to millions of inovative Americans who have the drive, determiniation, skill and inovative to help put the ecomomy back on track.

March 16, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  14. Gail Ellis Duncan

Listen to Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant folks. We got to have our voices heard loud and clear! Don't sit back and take this! Tell it like it is Anderson and keep asking the uncomfortable questions. Yea!

March 16, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  15. GF, Los Angeles

To Michelle Johnson over 50% of taxes collected go to fund schools in CA. Why isn't your union finding out where the money is going instead of demanding for more money? I have a friend that is a teacher and says there's an energy analyst in her school that earns $130,000 a year to come up with ways to save energy. All he does is tell people to turn off computers over the weekend. What other mass waste in administrators exist that the union is not investigating? Why not eliminate those positions and give the money to save the teachers and schools instead of demanding for more money from taxpayers? We're the #1 taxed state in the nation when it comes to income, gas and sales – enough!

March 16, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  16. Gail Ellis Duncan

Anderson, like Eddie Grant said..'Rock down to ELECTIC AVENUE and then take it higher' Much respect my brother. We need to see, hear and feel it all and not just in our own back yards. Hold strong people and try to keep a positive attitude. Let us all pull together and get through this. Change is a part of life so let's handle it.

March 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  17. honeyblondie28

Hope you stop by Michigan during your trip as we are in the worst shape out of everyone right now.

March 16, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  18. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Just watched your video from L.A.I like the way you ask the Major why he ask for the money,so stay on line.Find out the truth. i dont know i will watch your show tonight,because its midnight here in Germany,and sometimes i am nio sleepless.So have a nice show tonight,i will watch your video tomorrow.

March 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  19. Baze

Yes Green trucks can HELP, albeit a big help, but not save the economy. There are going to be a lot of incentives for green trucking organizations, and industrial avenues for building and repairing these types of vehicles. Question is, do we have enough trained manpower to support this demand?

March 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  20. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

Hi, I live in Lomita in L.A. County. I am a secretary, 13 years with L.A. Unified Sch. Dist, downtown L.A. We just received a memo this morning that the school district may lay off almost 9,000 positions of teachers, administrators, and support staff like me. This would leave the district dysfunctional and be devastating for the children, and of course we are all concerned about our jobs. The school district still doesn't know how the stimulus money will benefit us. We need to know before this damage is done to the children, and more people lose their jobs. Always happy, by the way, to hear that my favorite news man, Anderson Cooper, is in my town.

March 16, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  21. GF, Los Angeles

Tony Villar is such a liar of a mayor. I wish he hadn't won in the recent elections but he did. This self described Pot Hole King has lied to this city for years and helped squander our money in the process. All his political posturing isn't for the benefit of L.A. but for his preparation to run for governor.

March 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  22. Barb Buseman

anyone with half a brain would have left calif. years and yeas ago,,,, california is just one big greeedy hole......or is it the whole of calif. is just greed?

March 16, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  23. Isabel, Brazil

For me, as foreign, will be interesting to see the different needs of each part of the country, at such a critical time.

March 16, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  24. Cindy

OK...I can see giving L.A. some money but billions! I mean come on...they aren't a friggin state! Other counties in Cali need money too they aren't the only ones!

Cindy..Ga.

March 16, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  25. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Amazing how much success can be accomplished when money talks.

March 16, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  26. CD

Give the money to the LAPL. The Librarians should build some new Libraries that will last 100 years or more...

March 16, 2009 at 6:45 am |
  27. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, well, I'm not used to being up this early, but I can't sleep...this week, I'm leading a big meeting at work, so I decided to turn on my computer to make some preparations and voila, I find this blog entry. Anyway...I used to live in L.A. and still have relatives there. With unemployment rate at 10.1%, they’re worried about their jobs and future. The mayor is right to fight for their fair share of the stimulus dollars. Besides green trucks, I heard that he also wants to allocate the money towards the city’s police hiring plan, gang prevention programs, and school reform efforts. All this should lead to saving or adding jobs. I wish him and the city well and I look forward to the rest of the interview. Take care,

Lilibeth