March 12th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 3/11/09

Editor's Note: After Wednesday night’s AC360°, many of you commented on the Alabama shootings, ear marks and Forbes new 500 list. On the Alabama shootings a lot of you asked that the issue of access to guns be discussed. The segment about ear marks received much praise for being “nonpartisan” in the reporting. Finally, with so many out of work and losing their 401(k) accounts, etc., a few viewers commented that they could care less that the billionaires are still doing OK. What do you think?
______________________________________________________________________________

I am disappointed that there was no mention of the weapons used by the shooter in the Alabama shootings. This is a serious national problem that we are not talking about openly. Since the Assault Weapons Ban was allowed to expire, these types of dangerous weapons are increasing in use in shootings like this. We need to talk about this. I know that Dennis Henigan from the Brady Campaign was scheduled and then bumped for tonight's show. Please have him on to talk about this.

Of course the killings in Alabama are horrible, but what else can we expect when it is so easy to purchase weapons and ammunition in this country. I wish we could tighten up our laws. I can't understand why hunters and gun collectors so selfishly hang on to their constitutional right to bear arms. How can they live with themselves knowing the damage gun ownership has on our innocent citizens? Do they really believe "guns don't kill people, people kill people?"

I got on your report regarding Obama and the earmark dilemma about the 410 billion. It was refreshing to see that you were nonpartisan in your facts, guests, and called things truthfully. As an independent that is important to me. We are all in this together, and if politicians lie we all need to call them on it– no matter the party. I appreciate your making sure we keep our freedom, integrity, and our money....thanks.

Thank you very much for doing a story about the fortunes of billionaires. We who have lost our jobs, lost our businesses, lost our 401k's and pensions, and are losing our minds over the economic collapse of America feel oh, so much better knowing that the filthy rich will be o.k.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. carol

I just want to comment on Mr. Madoff. I think it is so ironic that his name is what it is considering he "made off" with billions.

March 12, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  2. Donna Peterson

So Madoff finally admitted he's a thief and a liar. Will they put him in a posh cell because he's a 'big shot'? I think they should put people like him in "our" Joe Arpaio's jail in PHX. Why not put all the rest of those guys in there too. Let Joe show them how to be a model prisoner. My hats off to Joe. Leave him alone!!!

March 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  3. Maria Concha

Also, when was the last time you actually read or heard about a police officer stop a rape or a murder from occurring? The only thing keeping the crazies and criminals out of our homes is the very real fear that there is an armed person inside the home. Police and those that would take our rights away for the supposed sake of safety would argue that removing gun ownership would have an impact on crime. I would argue otherwise.

Mexico is a perfect example of a society in which only corrupt government officials and the drug lords have guns. The people are caught in the middle, with only the option of swimming across the Rio Grande.

March 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  4. Maria Concha

It is extremely difficult to obtain a gun in the United States. As a right that we should cherish, it is easier than in most other countries. But the process is not easy.

Crazies will do what crazies do. Whether they murder with a gun or a firearm, the result will be the same, death. A crazy recently killed half a dozen people in a Belgium with a kitchen knife.

It’s cliché, but true. “Guns don’t murder people. Crazy or criminals kill people.” Let’s make the crazies and the criminals illegal instead of the guns.

March 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  5. Maria Concha

How come so few comments made it to the blog about Tibet? The ones that did make the cut are bland and boring. Is CNN trying not to offend the genocidal Chinese regime?

March 12, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  6. Sharon Kussman

CNN in general, calls our President "Mr." quite frequently.
    This occurs on PBS as well. It may be that he is viewed as approachable , but I feel it's inappropriate.

LOVE YOUR PROGRAMS
    Thanks, Sharon

March 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

PS.

In full economic crisis would not be bad $ 5 million. But I do not mix me in that sub-world so dangerous ... lol ...

March 12, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

I heard this news, now on the radio, and is the face of AC show! My work can wait a bit ... lol

The criminal most wanted in Mexico were included in the new list of billionaires from Forbes.

Joaquín Guzmán Loera, 54 years old, is identified as the head of one of the largest drug cartels in Mexico and is fugitive since 2001, after escape from maximum security prison in Almoloya. The US government provides $ 5 million for the capture.

The wealth of Guzman is described as "obtained by own" quotes and not an activity of the Mexican.

March 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  9. Larry L.

What is wrong with our country ? Why are we allowing people in our government and private sector to dismantle everything that has made this nation great?The phrase "CHANGE" has become an understatement,it should be "destroy",yes we can,and are!

March 12, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  10. Sharon S

I think the Billionaires losing money is important to us as a whole simply because this country is made up of all sorts and to see these people lose billions is very scary, they are in the same boat as everyone else we just happen to be on a much smaller scale!
    So it was important to show they are hurting too! I think it showed that this is not happening only to working class middle America this is indeed a whole Country Wide Problem that is effecting everyone in it!

That is the reason I love AC360 the show goes into a wide vairety of subjects and stories! I get all the news of the day in this one show and that works great for me!

March 12, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  11. Isabell, Indiana

I appreciate the opportunity to express my views; however, often my comments await moderation for several days. Does this indicate that several other viewers are also waiting for their comments to be moderated? I would like to be able to read other viewers’ comments and reply, but I cannot do so if they are “lost” in the moderation stage. I am hesitant to spend time expressing my views, if you are slow to moderate them. I would rather have them moderated and rejected than await moderation for several days – it makes me feel that you ask for our views, but don't really care to listen or possibly that you disagree with our views and are reluctant to publish them.

In regards to the billionaires, I feel it is a waste of valuable AC360 time. Also, as the comment above suggests, the report is insensitive to those who are struggling economically at this time.

Concerning gun control, I wish it was that easy to stop murder: take away the guns and the murders will stop. It is not, a person who wants to murder someone will find a method to do it. Because murderers’ minds are abnormal, their solutions to life problems are abnormal.

March 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  12. Glenna Lindfield

Thank you, Anderson, for the job you are doing...Could you get someone (Congress or whoever) to investigate how the cost of prescriptions has risen ALOT since the first of the year. (Even with insurance coverage).? I cannot afford to take the RX every day and still have money left for other necessary things. I have Blue/Cross Blue/Shield . Please talk about this on your show...Glenna Lindfield

March 12, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Michelle

I see reports on other networks that clearly point
    out that earmarks are maybe 1 %. So why all of
    the focus here. Yes there needs to be some changes
    but quit trying to make me angry about something.
    There is way way too much opinion about what is
    going on.So it would be okay for the government
    to shut down. That is the last thing we need right
    now.

March 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  14. jen

I feel horrible for the victims and their loved ones from Alabama, but I cannot stop laughing at the comment about hanging "on to their constitutional right to bear arms"! You have got to be kidding me! First of all, guns do not go off by themselves, a PERSON or thing needs to pull the trigger! So, therefore, it is people who kill people! I have no issue with people owning many guns, I just wish that everyone would agree to the 3 day wait for a background check to be conducted so serial killers don't get to buy them legally! BUT. . . if people wish to take away our constitutional right to bear arms, I hope I am not around to see the mess that will be caused by it! There is a good reason that our forefathers gave us that right, and that is one that will not be erased quietly or without slaughter!

March 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  15. Joanne Pacicca, Solvay, NY

So true! Another news story concerns Mexican nationals purchasing weapons for the drug cartel, here, in the USA...at gun shows.

March 12, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  16. busybeard

While driving my middle schooler to school this morning, I thought if guns weren't so readily available, perhaps this random shooting wouldn't have happened. I think the problem is that mentally unstable people who wouldn't normally resort to this extreme do so because they have access to weapons.

March 12, 2009 at 11:19 am |