March 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/12/09

Tonight on AC360°, Madoff’s confession. Today the former Nasdaq chairman and Wall Street fat cat pleaded guilty to defrauding thousands of investors out of 65 billion dollars. He said he knew what he did was wrong and fully expected this day to come. Tonight he’s in jail, awaiting his June sentencing. He faces up to 150 years. Considering he’s 70 years old, he’ll likely die in prison. But confessing to the massive Ponzi scheme won’t bring his victims’ money back. We’ll be digging deeper into the story tonight. We’d love to hear your thoughts on Bernie Madoff. We want to keep the live blog on this one topic. So, please share your thoughts on Madoff’s guilty plea below.

And, don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast on Madoff during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. BKspirit17

It's simple – Chris Brown needs therapy. Rihanna needs to get a new, nice boyfriend.

March 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. cgill

Can you stop with the tabloid items please !!!!!!!! Who cares about Chris and Rihanna.

March 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Esma--can you call the police on him next time he hurts someone? Or are you afraid he will find out and hurt you next?

March 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The problem is that so many people give guys like Brown an excuse to act out the way they do. Faye Wattleton, who should know better, tried to write it off as "late adolescent" behavior when she was on 360 this week. That is not an excuse.

March 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Cessy, Chicago

why is Roland Martin seem to be always angry? CHILL!

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Nattada, Houston, TX

Poor girl, Rihanna. When will she wake up and stand up for herself?

And for Chris, he saw his mom being hitted, and said to treat women differently. How different it was when he hit Rihanna, a woman he said he love? Unbelievable!

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Roland is right on target. The conversation needs to turn to the ROOT of the problem as it relates to the abuser.

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleepless in Germany.A good reason to watch your show.Good show at least. I dont know why abused women go back to their partners.Its a kind of suicid,because if somone beats for the first time,he or she will do it again.

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

Glen up North,

Anderson's guest was saying that they even have some teenagers from affluent families agreeing to kill.

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

I agree 100% with Roland on the abuse issue,100%!

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Caroline, Los Angeles

Uh-oh....Muppets gone wild....

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Renee

@ Rikki, I'm agreeing with Roland too tonight. It must be Thursday! Have a good weekend everyone!

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Cindy- Oprah has done shows about domestic violence before. She always covers a range of topics on her show. Trust me Oprah doesn't need to milk ratings, she has done pretty well for herself without having to do that.

March 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Fay - California

Rhianna would be better off alone – I understand that some young women have self-esteem issues, but there also seems to be a lot of pressure for them to "pair-up" and unfortunately, they sometimes end up with violent partners.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Don, WA

I have to say that is some amazing footage with the spearfisherman and the tiger shark – when a tiger shark circles you in the water, it has something on it's mind – don't know the facts here but sometimes yuh gotta do what yuh gotta do.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Patricia in Edmonton, Canada

I have had to leave a marriage because of an abusive spouse. The first return is just feels so full of passion…sort of like going through and seeming to survive a dangerous territory together, and so often the deep issues remain buried in shallow solutions to this issue… Eventually ,as time wears Rhianna will find that after her well being, her esteem and worth and her resiliancy goes, she’ll eventually is recognise it for what it is…violence and abusiveness and no one should have to tolerate it. It is only a story line of a sad movie….not for real life.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Tom in Ft. Wayne, IN

Does anybody see the events surrounding Mr. Madoff and the boys hired to be assassins connected? Citizens of America we have a problem on our hands. It is time to rise up against apathy and disconnection with each together and unite in support of one another for a common purpose. To bring back the values that brought this country to greatness. "Bring your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." Yes. When you come please bring your strong family values, work ethic and a passion for making this country the best it can be.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Maureen, Georgia

@ Cindy Oprah has done shows on domestic violence, not recently but years ago.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

It's sad watching that old clip of Chris from awhile back. Rihanna needs someone close to her to force her to face reality. A duet? Come on.

@Anderson – I'm surprised you didn't know that individuals who witness domestic violence are more likely to become the perpetrators of it than those who haven't. Guess you can't know everything. 😉

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Sabrina

Ms. Bloom you are wrong Rihanna did do one public event since this incident.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Isabel, Brazil

C Brown and Rihanna will try to take life as if nothing had happened.

This unwholesome relationship is so sad to see. It is a bad example for younger people.
    This is so different from a true love … they do not know how is good the love between two people!

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Esma

My younger brother's girlfriend broke up with him a week ago to go back to her abusive and controlling boyfriend...they're both 18, her now boyfriend has (all by 21) stabbed someone and beaten her up. I can't explain it.
    No one "deserves" being beaten. Ever.
    Chris Brown didn't grow past the violence he grew up watching because he himself is a weak person. It's unfortunately common. It's a false sense of control, is what I think drives most domestic violence.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Katie, FL

Well Oprah isn't the only one to milk this story! I think she went through something similar when she was younger.

March 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Patricia in Edmonton, Canada

I think that Oprah is simply taking advantage of what is known as ideal timing in addressing this. So many issues we have heard of over and over with little impact…they are brought up and heard but so often it seems to make no impact. T
    To address this on the level of celebrity is necessary because there are so many people who still think of their favorite performer as the be all and end all of what they consider as valid and acceptable. Rhianna just going back is just modelling for so many young gals to tolerate that behavior. Most of these kids with the opinions that condone the violence with excuses have had far too many unreasonable excuses for so many things in their own lives.

March 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Renee

@ Cindy and Jo Ann: As far as the milking and promoting of Oprah, I say oh well, it is opening the discussion. If we can save one life, it is worth it.

March 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Domestic violence is such a big issue in this world. And I'm glad that you are talking about it and bringing it to light and reminding us that it is an issue and one that cannot be taken lightly...but I'm so tired of hearing about Chris Brown and Rhianna! And for maybe the first time, I agree with Roland! This cannot be a one sided story.

March 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Rihanna is a willing victim. She has no excuse not to leave this creep.

March 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Cindy...actually Oprah has done numerous shows about this subject (and related) topics.

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Michelle

In this day and time I think teens wonder
    if a girl is beating you up do you fight back.
    I still say it is no excuse for a man to hit a
    woman.Roland has a valid point what made
    Chris Brown do this ?

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I heard today that Brown and Rihanna plan to co-author a book about abuse and will appear together on talk shows. If this is true, they will surely stir the pot and gain the publicity they are apparently striving for.

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Vanessa, TX

WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!...Chris Brown does not deserve to have sympathy..at least not on my behalf...

Goodnite everyone Anderson, Randi, AC360 producers & crew..to all my smartees, Good discussion tonite, I hope everyone has a goodnite
    🙂

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Maureen T, Canada

I know my age is showing. I just can't understand these young women who believe Rihanna deserved Chris hitting/punching her in the face! We need to inform and truly educate these young people!!

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Mike Syracuse, NY

Let Chris Brown share a cell with Madoff.

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I agree with roland. Why did this happen? Why was he so angry?

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Maureen, Georgia

Rihanna getting back with Chris is only getting down to his level & I fear for her life the probability of him killing her is high.

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Isabel, Brazil

Lawyers working behind the scenes on a possible agreement that allows that Chris Brown does not comply with imprisonment for ...

If that happens will be a shame!

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

Anderson – there are many people saying that Rihanna deserved it and she's dumb, stupid, and other endless adjectives. There are even more people saying that – if she goes back with him as she has done- then if she gets hit (or even killed) that she deserved it and it will be her fault.

I disagree! Not smart to go back but she doesn't deserve to get hit or killed!

March 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Patrice Palmer

@Mike in Syracuse – please remember that walls not only keep people out, they also keep people in. Be very careful what you wish for.

March 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Caroline, Los Angeles

Ana Nicole was completely used and controlled by that scum lawyer boyfriend and I don't think her death or the death of her son were ever well-investigated because both deaths happened outside of the States.

March 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Heather - Spokane, WA

I was in a verbally/mentally abusive relationship for four years and I sit back sometimes and think of how easy it could have been for it to turn into a physically abusive relationship. She just needs to get out of that situation and stay out

March 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Roseanne

The final pix of the smiling shark killer, with the shark and its excised jaw was just too much. It's a wonder they got their video shot, isn't it? Or is it?

March 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

WoW! Howard Stern turned in and charged him for drugs against Nicole.... OUCH!

March 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  43. April

me too nattada. that is sick. so he "defended himself" against a shark for two hours with a camera crew in tow. sounds like the poor thing was trying to get away and he wouldn't let it. disgusting – and all the press he is getting just glorifies the killing of that poor animal.

March 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Lori from IL

David Gergen - thanks for the reply - I was rather puzzled by the announcement myself. I, too, will hope it is a positive sign. (You had indicated earlier in the week that you thought one of the auto cos. would go under - so thought maybe this was a sign.) I guess time will tell. Thanks for joining in on the blog. I always appreciate your perspective.

March 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Cindy

OK..I don't care for Oprah and I think she is milking this Rihanna thing for ratings. Why hasn't she done more on this abuse subject before if she cared so much?

Cindy..Ga.

March 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

In this day and age you don't need to get into the water to be attacked by sharks!!

March 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. LorenaR

@Randi Kaye

I admire Doctors Without Borders and i support their work. They are my true heroes. My bbank thinks i send a check to a "Dr. Borders" every month. sorry to hear of the news in Darfur.

March 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Caroline, Los Angeles

@David-I try not to give too much heed to any business reports. It's such a roller coaster and the market is so reactionary that it makes me crazy.

@JoAnn-1 out of 3 young girls get abused in a relationship. You don't think that is worth an hour? Or 2 or 20?

March 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Bridget, TX

David G., thanks for the reply. I'm anxious to hear how it went from those in the room. It is nice to hear that the buz at least is positive:) I just want the country to rebound and to do this we all have to believe things "will" turn around, but not right away. Love how you always give unbias, reports, that we can all understand.

March 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Annie Kate

I've thought perhaps high schools should add in their required heath class a module on anger management and a module on how to get out of an abusive situation, why you should get out of it and what resources you have.

March 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |