March 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/11/09

Tonight on AC360°, recession news flash: the rich are getting poorer. Just hours ago, Forbes magazine published its 2009 list of the world’s top billionaires. The take-away: there are fewer of them, and their fortunes are shrinking. It’s not a story that will generate much sympathy. We get that. But it’s still an interesting look at the recession’s reach. We’ll tell you who has lost the most and who has fallen the furthest. Tonight we want to keep the live blog on this one topic. So, please share your thoughts with us.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on billionaires during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel, Brazil

Mark Zuckerberg is so young ...

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

So the guy who ran AIG into the ground has only $100 million of personal wealth remaining. Pitty. Let's take up a collection.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Brandi- bottom of the boot

lol...worlds smallest violin! how cute!

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Goodnight yall, talk to yall tomorrow.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney, SC

The 24 year old has more time to make up for falling out of billionaire status.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Sean

The money has to be somewhere, now we just have to get out there and work hard to earn it.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Maren in Oregon

AIG's founder better have lost money!!

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Pardon me, but I'm not shedding tears over the losses of these people who make ridiculous amounts of money anyway.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Rafael

So Bill Gates manage to get back to the top of the chart of billionaires. Even thought he lost 18 billions. Hey even Oprah was on the list even thought she was at number 234.

March 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Kathy

@Joe...you have to be kidding. The Obama girls were trotted out at every event. And their still waiting for the puppy which was also put out there for political reasons.

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Where can I sign up to make 4.5 billion dollars a year?

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Bea

I meant to say Forbes can't possibly know all of the debt of these guys. So how can they judge net worth?

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Sabrina

Gates gives a lot of his money to his money to good causes. Not a Bloomberg fan.

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Isabel, Brazil

Bill Gates once again the richest man on the planet ...

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

Is Oprah the only woman in that club?

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Annie Kate

This millionaire story is interesting. I thought it was funny they put Bill Gates face on a picture of our dollar – I wonder if that means our money will crash as much as Windows does?

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Donald Trump is no shining example of a good business man. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He has had more than his share of bankrupticies and business failures, including casino hotels (when others were thriving).

He's a disrespectful, arrogant, windbag.

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Bill Gates will lose the # 1 next year. China is working on their own operating system!

March 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. John

It's really easy to not feel bad for the rich losing money. It's also really easy to forget that many wealthy people are tremendous philanthropists, and their loss is a big loss to their causes...

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Esma

Loving the money graphics. So was Bill Trumped by Buffett?

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Mary Lou - upstate NY

Oh.... to have 25 billion dollars to lose! Sigh!

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Linda

@ David Gergen

Yes David we are waiting for your next poll. You got a great response to this one, more than half the board contributed. Always love to see David blog on the show.

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Bea

C'mon this Forbes list isn't right because it doesn't consider debt.

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Sharon S

Wow that is incredible how much money they lost! Bill Gates does do a lot of charity work with his money though he is not just some greedy billionaire!

These guys may be down on our level before the year is out! LOL

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Lauren--NY

Erica, I love your jacket. It's gorgeous.

I like both Bill Gates (and his wife Melinda) and Oprah Winfrey. They're extremely charitable people.

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think you can justify using the word "poor" in relation to these people.

March 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I'm not on the Forbe's List, but I'm not poor either and I give and participate in charity work as much as I can. At least Gates and Buffett contribute some of their wealth to charites so they are okay in my book!

March 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Mike Syracuse, NY

I've had some personal experience working with Congressional staffers to explain our programs to them. When I found out how plus-ups worked in Congress I was appalled. Obama is partially correct that some earmarks do some good. But the vast majority are plain pork. Many are not even supported by the agencies that get the money to spend. They originate from lobbyists and are pushed by congressmen as a way of getting support and votes. It's corrupt to the core. Obama could have shown true courage and instead failed pathetically.

March 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Charles Flournoy

They keep saying that most support what Obama is doing. But- I'm in a small town in SE Texas and I have NOT found just ONE
    Charles

March 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Tony, Cambridge, England

David Gergan. While I agree with some of your comments, what message does the world want to hear. I can tell you. Tighten Financial regulations, close down shadow banking and offshore funds. These three things is what we want to hear.

Enough of the idiots on Wall Street wrecking ordinary peoples lives, by inventing ways to make money at our expense.

March 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Michelle in L.A

Good night all. Have a fantastic tomorrow... Peace and happiness.

March 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Annie Kate

I think the Bristol Palin marriage was a sham from the beginning. Now that its been several months they break up – surprised? No, expected it. Just surprised it lasted this long.

March 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. kim-chicago

Two "real women"...smart, tough, and interesting.

March 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Miranda

Everyday is great to be a woman.

Miranda

March 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Lauren--NY

Anderson and Erica, I'm happy to see the Beat 360 back in the broadcast rather than just the podcast. I missed it.

Also, Chris is right...the last webcast was just audio for me too.

March 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Maren in Oregon

Yea!! Beat 360 is back! Thank you!

March 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Sharon S

@David Gergen,
    I am in total agreement with you I think the President passing this bill was a show of his weakness!
    I think he should have made a stand like I said and stood up to them and let them know he will not stand for all this over the top spending, his message should have been " I am the President Not You"

but he let Pelosi and her Democrats bully him which made me lose some respect for him!

He does need to pick his fights and the first one should have been to stand up to Congress!

March 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sanjay!!
    Good job for interview Clinton on Larry King Live........ he is amazing doctor!!!

And two women Clinton-Obama are very powerful tonight!!!!!

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. JacquiChan

"spoiler alert" – Mike Bloomberg is richer
    usually I don't know who has the money cause I don't reallt care but I know it's him because he has Bloomberg network
    good thing as a fellow New Yorker that he didn't get mixed up with that Maddoff...

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I have a question regarding a comment I've heard Sanjay Gupta make twice this evening...he keeps saying that not a single person has been helped by stem cells? Does he mean to say that not a single person has been helped by embryonic stem cells? I only ask because my cousin had a stem cell transplant for treatment on Leukemia and its the reason he's alive today.

No surprise that Bristol and Levi broke up! Kinda saw it coming!

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Crystal Palin and David Johnson broke up. Must be those good "family values" Sarah Palin teaches her kids so well.

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

@Courtney, read your blog, very thoughtful and i agree with you for the most part.

@Heather...we are praying for all of you and ny prayer to you too, being so close to the tragedy.

Hurray for women....who are truly making tremendous strides in USA, rest of the world, maybe not so much.

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  43. Solomon of the Dilla from VA

What is wrong with government owning a bank. Government owned financial institution (at least one strong one) would balance the greadiness of bank executives and the invisible rich investors behind the curtail.

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Annie Kate

Hi David

I had hoped Obama would veto the bill with all the earmarks but I can understand that there are bigger fights right now to fight. I just hope he does get rid of earmarks in the end.

March 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Nattada, Houston, TX

I like Randi's ending on power duo of Obama and Clinton

"Today would be a good day to be woman"

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Kathy

Every day is a great day to be a woman. Today is no different.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Emma

Why are you guys talking about the Bristol/Levi break up? Her mother is no longer running for VP. It's a private matter.....leave them alone.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Carmella

The whole story about Bristol being engaged was just that a story. Just a way to polish up the pregancy. She's only human and she got pregant out of wedlock just like millions of other women. Republican, Democrates, black, white. She is no different than anyone else.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Joe Torregano

Sarah Palin used her daughter and family in her campaign. She arranged an interview with her daughter. The media availed themselves of the opportunity to cover the daughter and her teenage boyfriend. Is anyone really surprised that this relationship dissolved? This is an example of poor parenting, not because the girl became pregnant, but because she was used in a political campaign. I would never have allowed my daughter to be used in that way. Palin's ambition overrode her parental responsibilities. And before anyone brings it up, the Obama children were controlled exposure and very positive. They were not compromised.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

Guys,

The years passed to Secretary of State Hilary ... even though the experience comes together!

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |