March 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/11/09

Tonight on AC360°, recession news flash: the rich are getting poorer. Just hours ago, Forbes magazine published its 2009 list of the world’s top billionaires. The take-away: there are fewer of them, and their fortunes are shrinking. It’s not a story that will generate much sympathy. We get that. But it’s still an interesting look at the recession’s reach. We’ll tell you who has lost the most and who has fallen the furthest. Tonight we want to keep the live blog on this one topic. So, please share your thoughts with us.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on billionaires during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bridget, TX

A president who actually appreciates the struggle women face everyday face.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Bea

Equal Pay isn't the real issue. The issue is seniority and the men's club. I don't think Michelle Obama really offers much beyond celebrating women in their supporting roles. When she begins to celebrate us in our own right, I'll be happier.

March 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Promises, promises. As a woman, I'm not holding my breath considering ...

March 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think that what Sanjay said on the Webcast, that stem cells have not helped anyone yet, should be applied to the bailouts. Until we see some proof that they are working Congress and Obama should not be granting anymore of them.

March 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  5. JacquiChan

Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are two very intellegent and inspiring women and great role models for upcoming young females much more to offer than princess Paris or the others in her little clan

March 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Anthonia-California

Oh come guys, dont bash obama, hes doing just fine, hes probably just alittle tensed up about his first 100 days in office... just give him a couple of months and he would do a great job.

March 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Megan I agree, I think the President has laid out some good principles for how earmarks shld be handled.

March 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

Mr Gergen : I was very disappointed, too. But I still believe in his will to change those things.

March 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David Gergen...we're anxiously waiting for your next poll!

March 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Fay - California

The First Lady and Hillary Clinton are two remarkable and strong women who are excellent role models for young women.

March 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Sharon S

Funny thing maybe this recession will make Americans rethink their morals and their values???

Marriage before babies? Marriages that people actually work at?

I think the Recession has many good points like teaching these overspenders how to control themselves how to do with little or not at all!

This will be a great lesson for most people in this country who grew up privileged with everything and never had to work or see their parents work for anything!

March 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Love and marriage”, that was a good one, Anderson.
    I agree!!!! Gloria!!!!! That is good point there!

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

I thought I read today that a Mexican drug cartel guy just made it to the Forbe’s List of Billionaires…..believeable but unbelieveable!

Really? I need to get into that business.

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Maren- I agree. President Bil Clinton is soothing to listen to. I miss him, kinda too.

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. JacquiChan

very interesting interview _ Erica and Dr. Sanja Gupta
    I didn't get to watch it yet but I will 'dvr' it – looking 4ward to seeing...

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Gina: "Why do the republicans complain so much about today’s bi-partisan bill and so little about where billions have gone from the banking bailout."

Republicans voted overwhelmingly against the bank bailout (TARP). It was passed by the Dems who failed to put in any safeguards or controls in their rush to shovel money out the door.

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Mitch Sommers

Needless murder is so sad, shootings such as this, what a waste. Too bad the 28 year old shooter in Alabama, and others like him, have been unable to realize, life is not about becoming something; but rather being content with what you have. This guy had mom, a job, up till he quit, he was handsome too. I wonder was he lonely, there is no mention of a girl-friend, was he struggling with sexual idenity issuses. Being disconnected from God, will bring discontent into ones life. My condolences to all, exspecially the police officer who lost his wife and darling little daughter.

March 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Bridget, TX

@Linda, I agree, but I'm waiting for all the " but it's not enough", why Maryland and notXX, why fix a road when people are going to bed hungry, Obama is a hypocrit because??? It's a never ending cycle.

I know how bad I feel for the president, so I wonder how Michelle and he feel when they read and see how he's constantly being attacked? It has to be hard knowing no matter what you do, you're going to be bashed and dissed.

It's not like he has an easy job.

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Lauren--NY

I also never thought Bristol and her guy would walk down the aisle...that "engagement" was fabricated to make them look more acceptable in light of Sarah Palin's campaign for vice president. Lucky she didn't win or they may have been forced into marriage.

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I am EXTREMELY hopeful about the potential resulting from stem cell research. I have been so angry at the ignorant mindset that has steered us away from the research.

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Maren in Oregon

Poor Bristol. Another single mother high school student. I wish this were a teachable moment, but that train left the station a while back. I wish her well personally, and at least she has a large family to support her and her son. Good luck to them.

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Katie, FL

It was only a matter of time that bristol and her baby daddy broke up, did you see him during the campaign, you know it wasn't his idea to get married, he was probably the happiest person to hear Mccain lost that way he could avoid that walk down the isle

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Isabel, Brazil

The deployment effectual of systems audit, control and evaluation of health services is essential to the quality of services which will be provided to the population.

March 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Esma

@ Sanjay-Loved your interview with Bill Clinton on LKL.

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Simone (in Canada)

Kudos to Sanjay on an excellent interview with former President Clinton... most informative!
    Anderson, you're looking exhausted... take care

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    I do not believe President Obama has broken his campaign promise on earmarks. He just missed the first opportunity to fulfill it. This is what happens when politics clashes with policy. I still trust that President Obama will carry out the reform on earmarks. He is simply tryng to walk a fine line since both Democrats and Republicans enjoy earmarks.

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Erica – Anytime! And aren't you a tech-girl? Teeny tiny buttons are supposed to be your thing. 😛 And, yes, I much enjoyed the Flat Stanley work.

An FYI, you now have no video on the webcast...

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

My professor told me today that our school's biggest benefactor lost millions because of Madoff. Shows how this man affected many more ppl than "just" the ones he ripped off.

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. John

Just more corrupt congress taking my money and giving to their buds, and putting a little away for themselves. Vote them all out.

March 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't have much interest or sympathy for most of the rich and selfish. I am sure they don't have any interest or sympathy for the rest of us.

March 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Isabel, Brazil

Health and quality of life are aligned to individuals most creative and productive, companies more competitive and sustainable.
    A healthy population is essential for a country to be productive.

March 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Kassie Wright

Former First Lady Clinton got it right in what she said. Michelle Obama is a role model for young women and girls and in my eyes she is doing an amazing job.

She should be commended!

March 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I really enjoyed Dr. Gupta's interview with Former President Clinton on LKL...Stem Cell research is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart and I'm so excited to see the promises of the lift of this ban unfold! Excellent Interview Sanjay!

March 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Chris, Ohio

Unfortunately I truly believe we will see more shootings by desperate, driven-to-the-edge people until both the economic picture and employment situation improves drastically. When someone is pushed to the edge, they react, usually in an adverse manner.

Why is the Bristol Palin break up story even the slightest bit newsworthy? Unless you were totally clueless you should have seen this one coming! Leave the poor girl alone – she has enough problems to deal with.

March 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. David Gergen

Hello again - Thanks for joining in and for responding about the earmarks. By my rough count, you all came down about 60-40 in favor of the President, mostly saying he has to pick his fights well and this was one he didn't need. It would, of course, be easier if the President had a line item veto, as many governors do, but he doesn't under current law. I must acknowledge that I was disappointed that he didn't try to stop this flood of earmarks with this bill - I know, not that much money at stake but would have sent an important signal to Congress and the world that even though he will spend to create jobs, he won't spend a dime on waste.

March 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Bea

Bristol Palin's marriage plan (or lack thereof) is news because her mother made her news. Her mother kept her family front and center and offered her daughter up for political sacrifice. Glad Bristol came to her senses.

March 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Russ

Good to see the segment on the road construction guys who are being re-hired. The stimulus money needs some time to work but we'll be better for having helped create jobs and doing much needed repair and infrastructure work in this country.

On another note, Palin probably had Bristol and her "fiance" stage their appearance for 2008 campaign season – so no surprise if the two have now split since baby arrived. So much for "two parent" families as exposed by right wing conservatives.

March 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I thought I read today that a Mexican drug cartel guy just made it to the Forbe's List of Billionaires.....believeable but unbelieveable!

March 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. karen

i dont want to take away guns ,but i think assault weapon should not be put in the hands of anyone , but law enforcement and the military. you dont need an asssault weapon to hunt or defend yourself.HELLO

March 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Rafael

I do agree with Clinton i believe as well that now its a much better and easier time to take on health care reform. Than it was back in 93'.

March 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Maren in Oregon

I watched the Sanjay interview with BillClinton and, I have to say, that wonkish son of a gun is really sooo soothing to listen to. It's almost like snake charming! I miss him, kinda.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Michelle in L.A

Make sure Levi pays child support for his child. We as a nation really let males off too easy. Make sure he man's up and provides for his child or put him on blast. It is not just Bristol's child.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I am really excited at health care reform. We can remove the insurance companies from the equation.

I am so excited about stem cell research.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I wonder if the Alabama killer was schizophrenic and undiagnosed. That mental illness frequently comes out when someone reaches young adulthood.

Caroline, Los Angeles,
    Yes, He had one, of course......... I think he had little childhood.... both of them.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Love and marriage", that was a good one, Anderson.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney, SC

I really enjoyed LKL with Bill Clinton, I learned a lot more about the proposed health care plan and the more I hear the more I like where it is leading.

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. ericacnn

thanks chris – this new mic is a bit fickle with its teeny tiny buttons!
    i'm sure you enjoyed the flat stanley work going on 🙂

March 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. jim crill

Anderson,

We must, as countrymen, re-evaluate capitalism and how it CAN operate. It has produced much that benefits the common good yet the perks go to the powerful. Exorbitant incomes have extracted money from the populace that would and could add to the economic mixture. in 40 years the balance between income and costs has grown exponentially. This cannot stand and we cannot sustain an economy on credit. There is a place for credit but it should be meeted out with prudence and for homes and cars not recreative type activities. America is in a serious crossroads and we do not have much room to maneuver. We must get it right or we will fall seriously. Open and complete discussion is called for with truth and consequences spelled out. peace and great show Anderson.

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Jacqueline, NY

@ Mike Syracuse, NY "I guess Congress is really our President. We clearly haven’t got one in the White House."

Soooo, for the past 8 years we've had what?

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Mike Syracuse, NY

The only one who has talked the talk AND walked the walk on earmarks is John McCain. He doesn't ask for them and doesn't take them; unlike everyone else, including Obama.

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |