March 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 03/11/09

Tonight on AC360°, recession news flash: the rich are getting poorer. Just hours ago, Forbes magazine published its 2009 list of the world’s top billionaires. The take-away: there are fewer of them, and their fortunes are shrinking. It’s not a story that will generate much sympathy. We get that. But it’s still an interesting look at the recession’s reach. We’ll tell you who has lost the most and who has fallen the furthest. Tonight we want to keep the live blog on this one topic. So, please share your thoughts with us.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on billionaires during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gina, WA State

Why do the republicans complain so much about today's bi-partisan bill and so little about where billions have gone from the banking bailout.

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Did anyone really believe Bristol would end up with her baby's father and this would last forever?

March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Linda

Well there is the Stimuilus Bill working already, thats good to see

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Bea

The economy is coming back. In my area, small contractors are doing a lot of business. The big builders are not, but I think they refuse to lower the price of their huge homes. So people are buying little houses and remodeling them.

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

To see the smiles on the men who are working on the road with money supplied by by the stimulus package ,made my day!! It will take time but I think that "faith' will trickle up!!

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Isabel, Brazil

Even for the rich is reaching the crisis!

In relation to Carlos Slim, I am not surprised their placement. I worked in one of his companies and he has the power of the touch of Midas, where he is, there is success. He is very competent!

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Promises ,promises but let's mark off every one of them as it gets passed int o legalsltaion ,running tab on Obama keeping him honest .

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

So, I bet the news on the Palin daughter is that she and her beau are a couple no more?? Jeez.. I'm SHOCKED !

March 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Cherie, Maryland

Are any of the critics out there capable of actual "critical thinking" - that's different from just throwing rocks... I consider the President's reasoning for signing the bill sound and responsible. There was good and bad to either signing it or not, and at the end of the day he chose to take a step towards moving the country forward.

March 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Sharon S

Ok why this interest in Bristol Palin? It isn't like she is Octocrazy having 8 babies no job no life? this girl has a future and I'm sure her family will support her and she will support herself!

Why not leave the Palin's alone? Are they really that interesting?

March 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Gary

In the grand scheme of things, do you really think gossip about a young girl and her boyfriend is news?

March 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Maren in Oregon

I know this is a cruel thought, but there is a ripple effect from the stimulus that I am personally looking forward to: Some of the road workers in Oregon will now have enough money to hire my boss – the divorce attorney. It ain't always all good news, you know?

March 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  13. richard grecni

great show ac why doesn't any one talk about a huge bank corp.
    that asked for bail out money! But just found out that they are up in
    profit for the last two months?? It seems everyone has their hand
    out looking for what ever they can get. Why not scold them when they lie?? why does the honest people in this country seem to be the ones
    who are really getting the raw deal!! ac great show! tk cr rg orl fla

March 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Lauren--NY

Carmella, the executive branch can't write a bill. It would violate the checks and balances.

Bea is right about the deficit in mental health care in this country, and the extraordinary stigma that remains. It would be even more interesting to see a piece on how the mentally ill are being affected by this recession in light of this tragedy in Alabama.

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Bridget, TX

Thank you Mr. Foreman for showing us something good in the midst of all the doom and gloom.

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Only those who have passed away by unemployment, or with oneself or with someone of the family, knows how it hurts!

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather March 11th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Hi everyone i just wanted to thank Anderson for the coverage of the shootings in Alabama I am from Samson I dated Michael when we were kids and would have never expected something like this from him i knew most of the victims and there families and it is tragic please keep us in your thoughts and prayers

Heather,
    I agree with you.......
    Anderson,
    I agree with Heather, I also thank you for coverage of shootings in Alabama.... we are appreciated for you!

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  18. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Shoutout to Silver Spring, Maryland. Nice to see some stimulus money in my town.

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. helen

Was tonight not the night the emergency funding patch expired that Congress passed when they did not vote on the budget before they left town before the elections ? So,did we really want to have Obama veto this bill and have the entire Government stop while these dudes and dudesses argued for a month ? I think not !

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The stiumluus bill will be hepful to the middle class and at least they are moving with plans to create jobs to help people now .
    I still thinkMaddof should eat dirt@Chris Sosa . maybe too harsh but i still he is a crook.

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Sharon S

David Gergen I will trust you to keep the details coming on that stimulus package! I think we all deserve to know as much as possible about it!

March 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney, SC

I'd like to know from my fellow bloggers what projects are coming out of the stimulus bill in your state?

My governor wants to turn down stimulus money for infrastructure, but just over the weekend is planning on instituting a new mileage tax that will fix our roads. Seems silly to me the feds are willing to give him this money but yet he would rather tax his constituents than accept this money.

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama should not have made such absolute statements like "a clean break from business as usual" or "lobbyists won't find a job in my White House," or that he will go after earmarks "line by line" if he did not intend to follow through.

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Fay - California

I'm glad to hear a positive report about the stimulus package–David Warner said that we don't know *if* the first package worked, but it's not impossible to find out whether or not the programs are working, just report on them.

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    I do not see how tackling healthcare and education distracts President Obama from the economy. One think is clear: He has a good plan. But the details may not be as easy as expected. If the smartest minds could not see this big mess develope over the years, I do not see anyone being able to turn it round overnight. We need patience.

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Kathy

These guys have a job today but next year...where does the money come from?

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

I disagree with David Gergen and David Walker on this one. Earmarks are only about 7% of this spending bill and I feel President Obama is tightening up on how earmarks move through congress. Congressmen and women have goten such bad press on these earmarks not surprising being asked about it gets them to start cussing. I think the President and congress can do the tango on this, Earmarks aren't addtn'l spending, mostly special projects that need funding to be worked out.

Joe Johns is right about the bank bailout–didn't it stablize the banks and utlimately loosen up credit. Most of the money has probably done this.

Isabel you stated well how people get so lost that they commit terrible crimes like the one in Alabama.

Erica, I can hear goings on on the set. The trifecta? finally?

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Courtney

i sit here with my laptop taking in what seems to be a neverending stream of all that's negative, challenging, seemingly insurmountable. I see the poverty, now too widespread to be ignored.....because lets face it, it's always been here.....we know this. i see the growing anger, the lessening sense of control, the growing sense that we are about to spontaneous combust (though not so spontaneously).

still, i think it's ridiculous for talking heads or anyone else to suggest that this "earmarked" laden bill, among other things, suggests obama is screwing us over on campaign promises.

is there any other president, any other living human being frankly, whom you would rather be at the help at this particular moment?

the man inspires hope. we're getting to a point where hope is all that more and more people in our country can cling to. is it so journalistically necessary to take even that away?

i am 38 years old. i am a college graduate, a single mom of four kids who own my heart. i care about the world i live in and the one i'll leave them. i care about making an impact for having been granted the time here. this recession is not going to break me and i don't mean only because i was broke to start with! my point is, at my core, i know that all the things that truly matter are not things at all and you cannot get them with a credit card. .

this recession can make people my age better people, better parents. this recession can let those who felt like they were nothing but unmet potiential actually meet that potential. this recession....and the guidance of a president that i suspect nearly everyone who reads this does indeed feel is trustworthy.......well......this recession will test us and break parts of us, but if we stick together and if we really try, we can make a mark on the world for the better. and we can make a mark on our own homes, absolutely as important, for the better.

don't you think it's all more than worth it?

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  29. kim-chicago

I think Geithner has gotten a bad rap...this is a huge undertaking and a giant mess that was handed to him. It's much easier to be a critic.

March 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Isabel, Brazil

@ Casey

Sometimes this time don’t finish ever, my dear friend.

March 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Jimmy, Montana

What was the final vote totals for each party? If 40% of earmarks were on the Reb. side of the isle did that turn into 40% of the Reb vote??

March 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Sabrina

The Obama administration did not force banks to take money that was Paulson. Sorry Gergen- I do not agree with you one bit the President can multi-task. I find it encouraging that the administration is taking their time to figure out the banking situation because it is one huge mess. If they had come out with a quick plan I would be worried. It would be to rushed. I saw an interview with Giethner last night which was very informative.

March 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Maren in Oregon

@David Gergen: When will the other shoe drop? We're through the poliltical sily season; the economy's a drag – on he economy; we need some laughs. Ideas?

March 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

I did smile ironically today when I heard that Bristol Palin was dumping her snowmobile dude. Good for her. She can do better!

March 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Anthonia-California

wooaaah,

I think Obama should not use another stimulus pack. He hasnt even finished using the first one yet.

March 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Sharon S

I could really care less about Bristol Palin! I mean let the girl live her life it is after all her life! As long as she works and supports her kid I could care less!

March 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

Hi David,

I think he should have kept his word, otherwise, explain to us, the people why he his going against his word, because he just looks like a hypocrite. I still support him, but I want answers and explanations.

March 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Andeson sequels are not always good they come up cheaper then the orignal and facsimile are not accpeted.

March 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Miranda

Erica

Glad to see you back blogging.

I agree with Mr. Johns and Mr. Gergen the bailout has me confoozled too!

Miranda

March 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Caroline, Los Angeles

I disagree with Gergen. I think Obama is trying to attack several fronts at once and not waiting to see how things work out. I think it's the right approach but after 8 years of the other guy just talking about stuff and doing nothing, all our heads are spinning.

We are in urgent times and yet people complain that Obama is acting with urgency. Sheesh!

March 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Greg, Austin Tx

By not veto-ing, two losses occurred ..
    1) the president's credibility suffered in some eyes and,
    2) the pork bill passed. If Obama had instead VETOED the bill, there would have been at most, ONE loss (the pork bill passing if his veto was overridden). Perhaps Obama should have gone the one-loss route. ..too late now unless he signed it using eraseable ink.

March 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Sharon S

A lot of confusion! Please help me understand how this stimulus is going to work? I am lost! and as most I see nothing in it that will help me or my neighbors in any way!?

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

HEY SEAN glad to see you back on the blog.

What's on your mind tonight??

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It doesn't matter which party asked for the earmarks they are still wrong.

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Bea

Ah, Joanna. gun control, gun control. If he couldn't get a gun, he would have done something else, maybe mowing people down in a car. This is about an evil person. He was in a very, very small town and the small town police weren't ready for this. I still say his family knew of the problems but probably had nowhere to go.

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Gene Herscher

Democrats have found their way out of this recession spend spend spend they are finally listening to another president who was also useless President bush – keep on shopping.
    Mr President do you know how to say veto with new pork spending,
    or are you not changing that.

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Jay C Mistry

President Obama missed the biggest oppurtunity by failing to veto the budget. His inexpereince is showing and he needs to now come down to earth and face reality otherwise his Presidency will be HOPE less.

March 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Evelyn CA

Why don't you tell the truth, if the President did not sign this bill the Federal Govement would have shut down at 12.00AM

Just trying ot get you Honest :>)

March 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. James In Kamiah, Idaho

As far as the Alabama killer, he did what he did because the world owed him something and it refused to pay up; so, he stole what he could, and doubled the inury by taking away our ability to prosecute him.

I suspect Madoff is doing the same thing by pleading guilty and not being forced to sit through all the "Whining" from the people he's hurt.

March 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. EJ (USA)

We all know Bristol wasn't getting married. That was just a talking point to try to reduce her mother's embarrassment.

March 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |