March 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/10/09

Tonight on AC360°, there are reports that singers Chris Brown and Rihanna are in a recording studio working on a duet. That's even though Brown is accused of brutally beating Rihanna, punching her repeatedly in the face until she was bloody. He also allegedly threatened to kill her. Oprah Winfrey warns Rihanna he will hit her again. Tonight, we look at the question: Why do battered women go back to the men who attack them? Let's keep this live blog going on this topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Sound off below.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Katie, FL

domestic violence happens all the time to thousands of women, why is it only when someone famous goes through it do people say something about it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. sally

i think Rihana went back to Chris because i strongly feel she has had bad experience in life and she know no better how to treat herself other than continue with the cycle of abuse. Rihana needs help for SURE

March 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Trent

Hi

I dont think the court should still push charges if rihanna doesnt want to continue with the case. Im not saying Chris is right with abusing her but he they decided to work out things and he admited that he lost control that night fine.

Rihanna must know what she into and i guess she is really inlove with chris brown.

March 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Thanks Glen! I was wondering the same thing...

March 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. audrey

We had a situation like this in our family, on the surface, they seem to be happy, but some times misery loves company

March 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Esma

@ Kira-I don't think we'll ever know why she went back to Chris, each victim's story is different.

March 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Cherry B - Ms

As another blogger said, it's great that your show, as well as others on CNN, are giving attention to the Brown/Rihanna situation. Maybe someone out there will seek help because of this. Just saw the iReporter asking why she would stay with someone who abuses her.It's just not that simple! Yes, in this particular instance, Rihanna could easily leave Brown, unlike so many women who couldn't financially. But it goes so much deeper with abused women. They need lots of emotional and professional help before they even think about leaving.

March 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. cheryl

i'm one of those women. i think mostly because we were raised taking it from a parent, or stepparent or another adult, and now that we're adults, it feels comfortable, and sorta right. i'm afraid to go. i dont think he'd kill himself, but he might like he says. mine isn't as bad as Rhianna's. mostly finger bruises on my arms and stuff like that. nothing on my face for 9 yrs now.
    i love him. i dont think he can control it, he just loses it. everyone has faults, and that's his only fault.
    i hope this answers the question of why, from one person anyway.

9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Shame on Nickolodeon (or however you spell it). Continuing to let this Brown guy operate "as usual" sends the wrong message.

10. LisaL - Canada

Rhianna seems very sweet – inside her head it must not seem like the situation that other people see

11. Cristy Kirssin

Chris Brown should also have to get counciling from his pastor or church. He is messed up!

12. Shruti Anne

Maybe Rhianna has forgiven Chris for his mistake and is ready to move in with her life with Chris. If she's happy, then she's happy!

13. Mando in Texas

They said it was a semi-automatic weapon. Is that really covered by the 2nd amendment? There was a ban on such weapons but it was repealed. A ban on semi-automatic weapons was repealed. Why? for whose benefit?

14. jacqueline, ny

Oh my dear, Mike, I am agreeing with you on the discrepancy. However, animals have always been more important than women.

15. Emma

@Kira, why do most abused women return to their abusers? My guess is they hope the guy will change. Unfortunately, this does not happen very frequently.

16. Isabel, Brazil

@ KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360

Wife of rascal ...

17. Laura

A note to abused moms: Do NOT stay with the abuser for the sake of the children. As a child I witnessed so much violence I was scared all the time. I was scared of men/boys as I thought they were all violent. The kids suffer so much living in this type of environment. Please don't stay for the kids.

18. Bea

Ej, I could care less what Rihanna is getting sick of (e.g., people telling her what to do.) If she doesn't like it, she should get off the public stage and go in a hole with her boyfriend. She affects many little girls and boys and young women and men across the country. If you stick with him without requiring any public remorse, then she has to deal with it honey. She is an enabler.

19. kozzmo

Why do women go back to abusive relationships? I think its an esteem issue. It doesn't matter how bad they have been hurt, when the apology is given, it creates an incredible esteem rush, and so they forget about the bad stuff.

20. Renee

I think we need to also remember there is violence in the gay community too. Abusers can be male and female as well.

21. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

1 in 3 teen girls! oh boy.........not feeling too good about being a statistic. 🙁

22. Teresa, OH

I'm thinking Rihanna witnessed abuse growing up and that is why she accepts this as normal. Her parents need to step in asap.
    I think their handlers told them to show a UNITED front and neither one of their careers will be harmed.

The handlers are wrong. This will badly affect Rihanna's.

23. Maureen T, Canada

Both Chris Brown and Rihanna need to get some help to get them through this time in their lives. They are both still young so they can work through this.

24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

No. No. Absolutely not. You cannot say "delayed adolscence" is okay for a man to hit a woman. No. I know a lot of really great young teenage men. They do not hit women. And I am a teenage woman. I do not allow myself to be hit by a man. It's not an excuse – don't blame age. Blame maturity and pure cruelity.

25. Genevieve M, TX

I think it is crazy that Chris Brown and Rhianna are now working together! I really liked his music and RIhanna's, but I won't be buying a duet CD if they put one out.

The two local radio stations (where I live) has almost ceased playing Chris Brown music. This are doing this because they got are getting a lot of flack for playing his songs. It's such a shame that Brown ruined his career with this terrible crime.

26. donna, OKC

Staying with a man that hit you is almost understandable if you feel you have nowhere else to go, but Rihanna? It's her youth.

March 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

I agree with Oprah...

If something happens once.... it can happen again.

The first time is very difficult but then the second and third time would be a lot easier. It is like any events in our daily life. The first time we are nervous but then the second we are more comfortable.

March 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Fay - California

Rhianna and Chris Brown "reconciled" so quickly that it makes me wonder if their reunion had more to do with repairing Chris's reputation than any real affection for him on Rhianna's part.

March 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Bridget

My mom taught us that one time is a habit, if it happens get out and don't look back. I'm thankful for this advice and am blessed that I've never had to deal with any type of violence.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Sharon

Can you remember when you were young, nobody could tell you about relationships? This is the case with Chris and Rihana. She is going to have to learn a very tough lesson before she finally decides to leave him. He will hit her again, again, and again until she decides no more.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Joe, Charlotte

Your segment on education that works was mesmerizing, and unfortunately, far too brief due to the tonight's breaking news. Please bring your guests back soon for an extended stay. I'm a huge fan of Geoffrey Canada and the kind of can't-fail urgency he champions as a leader of the Harlem Children's Zone.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Maren in Oregon

In Oregon, women who acquire a restraining order, then break it themselves by initiating contact with their abuser, can and are prosecuted. Not very severely, but enough to wake them up a little. You just have to save these women from themselves sometimes

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Cindy

I can see how Rihanna would go back to Chris. She thinks she loves him and can change him. She needs to open her eyes and see that she can do nothing for him. She needs to help herself and let him help himself.

Cindy..Ga.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Once a hitter always a hitter.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Cristy Kirssin

It shows that one's socioeconomic status then does not have an affect on curing the cycle of violence.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Esma

I'm really glad that we're discussing the issue of domestic violence. It reminds me that I have a voice.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA

I completely agree... parents must be involved.

Lucky for me, Irvine has excellent education so my son had very good education

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Minou, New York City

"Love doesn't hurt". Amen, Oprah! If it hurts, the relationship is over, so get out.

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Maureen, Georgia

Rhianna is in the cycle of abuse she thinks that she can fix him, I'm scared for her because she could get killed the next time. I hope she finally comes around & leave.

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Emma

I just can't believe how quickly Rihanna returned to Chris Brown.....though I can't say it's shocking. Doesn't this happen all the time? Battered women almost always return to their abusers. It's so sad and I pray for her. I just hope she comes to her senses soon because there's a good chance he will do it again. Oprah is right.

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  41. beth

Why would someone as beautiful and successful as Rhianna hang around someone who is 6 yrs younger , with the maturity of a 6 year old?

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Rhianna really needs to leave Chris Brown! So many people look up to her and she needs to leave him because by staying with him she is making it OK to let this happen. I believe that rehabilitating an abuser is very difficult and happens very rarely! It is so sad that so many battered woman stay with their abusers.

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  43. KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360°

What do you think about the iReport? He brings up that Rihanna has money, essentially she could be self-sufficient, she doesn't rely on Chris Brown for his living. So what do you think? Why is Rihanna sticking with Chris?

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If anyone needs help it is Rihana. She seems like a "willing" victim.

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Annie Kate

First they fight then they sing. Rihanna better get away from Brown or someone will be singing at her funeral. I just hope Brown goes to jail for quite a while and maybe then Rihanna can move on without him.

March 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@EJ...I don't believe the entertainment industry should be singled out as a hotbed of abuse. I think it looks that way because people in the "biz" simply get loads of attention and publicity.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Sue L

Why don't you ask the question: "Why do men abuse?"

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Chris and Rihanna actually already had a duet coming out, and the demo was done well before the assault. However, why she'd bother finishing it with him is beyond me. Why she would return to a relationship with him is nothing short of insane.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Bea. I'm advocating vouchers for everyone. Basically the end of public schools as we now know them. If you could pay the same taxes and send your kids to private school with no extra cost, why would you sned them to public school? Let public schools and their union teachers dry up and blow away.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Bea

The cowardice in Brown's approach is so evident. He is using her to save his career. Really sad. She is his get out of jail free card.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |