March 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/10/09

Tonight on AC360°, there are reports that singers Chris Brown and Rihanna are in a recording studio working on a duet. That's even though Brown is accused of brutally beating Rihanna, punching her repeatedly in the face until she was bloody. He also allegedly threatened to kill her. Oprah Winfrey warns Rihanna he will hit her again. Tonight, we look at the question: Why do battered women go back to the men who attack them? Let's keep this live blog going on this topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Sound off below.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think the reason that domestic abuse is more unacceptable than a weapons charge or drug abuse is because it is so "personal." You have to get into someone's personal space to do it and that takes a lot of rage. Even though the outcome may be the same, a knifing seems more vicious than a shooting.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  2. jacqueline, ny

@ Frank i agree with you wholeheartedly on the parent, child and teacher relation and understanding that education is absolute. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

all this stuff going on is like a never-ending story. people are starting to lose their jobs, their dreams.

hopefully some of the plans put in place will start to turn things around – President Obama seems to be doing something instead of nothing – hope it is enough.

March 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Isabel, Brazil

It is another example of trying to turn a bad situation into something good, where people learn to change their habits. But these changes do not happen the night for the day, and.

Chris Brown and Rihanna will try to take life as if nothing had happened.

This unwholesome relationship is so sad to see. It is a bad example for younger people.
    This is so different from a true love ... they do not know how is good the love between two people!

March 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

I wish along with the physical abuse, we would address the most common form of abuse: verbal/emotional abuse!

March 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Maureen, Georgia

@ April I hope that the schools will have something in place for the kids that have behavior problems & can't learn & not blame their inability to learn on the teacher that would be unfair.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Kathleen C

Some women accept abuse because they have no self-esteem and feel unloved. They think living in fear is OK, even honorable, because they think they're keeping love alive, but they're really not.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Cookie

Been there..done that. Long before that first assault, all the mental and emotional abuse prepares the woman to believe SHE is the one responsible for "making him have to hit" her, or that she is so worthless she deserves nothing better than what the perpetrator dishes out.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Upstate Karen

education is so vital but so hard to measure. I can't believe that it would only take 15 seconds for a child to recognize a good teacher. What's even harder is to make parents and caregivers work with the teacher. A teacher can't be judged based on failing grades in her class when the parents can't be forced to bring their kids to school on a regular basis. It's not that unusual for parents to bring their kids in late because 1)we're not morning people 2) i wasn't sure where the kid was when I woke up but I finally found him/her 3) we were waiting for lunch so we didn't have to make him anything.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Lilli

Anderson,

One of your panelist mentioned magnet schools as an alternative to charter schools. I tend to disagree, I attended magnet schools in junior high and high school...while these schools did accomplish its goal of integration, and exposing students to different cultures it failed to do much else. While the magnet program received adequate funding...the children in the non-magnet classes got the short end of the stick. I am talking about pages missing from severely outdated texts and teachers who could care less about the academic success of their pupils. What made it even more horrible was that, the non-magnet students represented the majority of the Black population in the schools...in my opinion this sent the wrong message.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

I have to think that Rihanna is getting sick of everyone telling her what to do. At the end of the day, she is 21 years old and an adult. She doesn't need to answer to anyone. If she wants to get beat – that's her issue. It's not that she doesn't know there is help out there. After a while – people need to realize that the person has to want help first.

If her music is good then I would listen to it. I really don't need to delve into the personal lives of all music artists and then determine who to listen to based on that. There would probably be nothing to listen to then. And don't get me started about the people on TV.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Linda

Women, and men, stay with those that beat them because they have low self-esteem. That what it really boils down to. It doesn't matter how rich or beautiful you are, those things can't give you the esteem you need to know that you don't need someone to be alive.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Maren in Oregon

Rhianna & Chris Brown, tragic as they both are – she for her naivte, he for his apparently brutal undercurrents – are not useful as role models except to identify what not to be, what not to do, what to especially avoid. So sad.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

What has Chris Brown's parents think of this? Rhianna's?

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Dee Janssen

While I know very well why our constitution guarantees us the right to bear arms, the reasons behind that are no longer valid and damage done with legally owned firearms is becoming more horrific every year, it may be time to rethink our gun laws. Being married to a European, I have gotten a different perspective on many things, including gun ownership.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Jane

@Christine, Bethesda, MD March 10th, 2009 10:31 pm ET
    Rikki in Fargo, ND… I agree with you. The No Child Left Behind did not help our children at all.
    Please dont generalize your comments, if No Child Left Behind did not help your child, please say so. There are places where this has definately helped, there is always room for improvement.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Char

Although Chris Brown has not been convicted of any crime ,it is very obvious that this young man needs professional help to learn how to process anger and hurt without becoming violent. A person who strikes out in violence is feeling desperate hurt and pain on the inside.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Other one dead...... Ouch!!!! made 11 people killed....

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Jennifer

Hi. I Watch ac360 every night. With regard to the chris brown/rhianna situation, this should be the end of his career. Who wants to support anyone who acts out violently towards other people?!!

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Rafael

@Maureen

I also agree this is a tragic news and hopefully 11 is the final number. That's to many people to be shot dead.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Rita

I know why they go back, it is this love that begins with a depedency that is fed by his real need for you because his homelife was so brutal and you understand. You accept his apologies that follow with such intensive love and you feel so close and he promises to change and he begins his steps and time will tell how long til the next time.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Tammy Behrens

Re: Merit Pay for Teachers ... I am a 5th grade teacher in CT. I am one of those dedicated teachers who works nights and weekends, and while I would love to receive merit pay for my hard work, I am afraid that if merit pay were instituted, teachers would go back to working behind closed doors. The implementation of merit pay will no doubt create a competitive environment, and with that, teachers will be reluctant to share their plans and ideas. Without the support and collaboration of my colleagues, I would not last 6 months in this profession.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Laura

If the artist is a domestic abuser it definitely should affect public perception. A boycott of Chris Brown's music should be underway. The fact that Nickolodeon is standing behind his nomination is unbelievable.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Lorna

I, an ex-battered wife, find it more scary to be looking over my shoulders if I left than it is to just face the attack. At least I know when it comes. It's a life I already know and I was getting better (I think) at handling it. It's a life that seems more certain than the life without the abuser. I left after 23 years and knowing what I know now, I regret not having left and stayed away at the first incident. I agree with Oprah. He'll hit her again because he knows she'll stay again.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Stephanie

We expect so much from teachers, however It is discouraging to teachers when an entertainer like Chris Brown makes more in a year than a teacher in their lifetime.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Tom from Philly

@ sarasota chris, agree, and why are there so many principals every school everywhere has a vp of this grade and that, and they dont teach the kids anything substantial just high paid paper pushers on our property tax bills.... an older gentleman told me that when he was in school they gave a teacher a little extra money and responsibility to be the ... say 9th grade principal, but main job was teaching kids. probably could hire 8 teacher for 4 VPs too what a waste of money

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@starr..."And i worked very hard to make sure my child had an excellent education (by research of school districts and being very involved with her education)."

Here's a key point that hasn't been made. Parents need to be involved every step of the way during a child's education and I fear many (most) are not pro-actively involved. Just because people are hired to run the school system, doesn't mean (as a parent) you just let the system go on auto pilot (just like government).

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Audrey

Anderson,
    I am a teacher. Students often make teachers look good or bad depending on if they are motivated or not. Teachers can't solve all the home problems and the learning disabilities that the students come with. Free market teacherism is not the whole answer.

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Sharon

One thing about our education system is something that I point out to my students, an educated population can never be enslaved. Even with the decline, the public education system is one that allows our most basic freedoms. Also, more testing is not the answer to reform. Since NCLB, I have noticed that the entire curriculum is geared to the testing, and this means many hours spent with computer assisted instruction, which takes the human interaction out of teaching.

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@Bea from Texas

So happy to hear your story. You are strong.. not only in leaving but sharing it in here.

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Pat

Hi Anderson, regarding the education segment. Closing failing schools sounds simple until you realize there will be approx 2000+ students with no school to go to. Where do they go, classrooms are packed now! I believe the better thing to do is dismiss the administration and the assistant administration. Certainly teachers and students and parents are all in this together but the administrator's hire and fire and set the tone and the standards. Until we have a way to get kids who do not want to learn away from those who do, it is "No Child Allowed to Succeed."

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Genevieve M, TX

My high school principal (Mr. C) is the same type of principal Steve Perry is. He knew the name of each and every kid (~1500 students) in the school. He even had all the names of the 9th graders memorized by winter break!

Anyway, Mr. C kept tabs on everyone, really. Nothing went by unnoticed. He kept everyone in line and held everyone accountable for their own actions. He sometimes used peer pressure, so if someone fell out of line, we all got punished (fair or not). All he wanted was for each person "to follow the rules and do your best."

It's a shame that not all principals are as involved in their schools as Steve Perry and Mr. C are.

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. robert

concerning school vouchers, I feel all parents want the best education for their children but for single parent families and limited income families will they be responsible for getting their children to the schools of their choice or will the county school system provide transportation for these students?

March 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is pretty easy to get guns in this country. In Anderson’s report on the violence in Mexico he reported that many of the guns being used in the drug war were purchased in the United States. So the criminals come here to get their weapons because of the strength of our Second Amendment.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Kira, Rhianna/Brown is no different than other celebs and sports figures who seem to get a pass for bad behaviour. If the book were thrown at them it would deter others. I don't see how we can rightly throw Michael Vick in jail for fighting dogs, and not throw Brown in jail for beating a woman up.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Cindy

I can't believe that this shooter got to so many places to kill these people and wasn't caught but took his own life.

Cindy..Ga.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Alicia

It would be great to give teachers merit pay, but in most districts in this area, at least, there is entirely too much politics going on. It would not work out fairly unless there would be extremely strict rules.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Dani in Tucson

In Arizona, I know that there are gun regulations, and your not even really suppose to carry a concealed weapon unless you've taken a class and pass a test and background check. I would know because i have done it and have a few.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. mel

Can't just leave this people alone. She decided to stay with him ..that's her biz no mine!

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Robert - Jakarta

Increase tax funding for public schools. Make tax money available for charter schools. Rebuild schools. Increase teacher pay. Require core competencies and graduate degrees for teachers.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Bea

Rihanna is like lots of young women. Note how she's surrounded herself with men. Her family and women are absent from her circle except those who have an economic interest. She's in the hands of Chris' posse including P Diddy.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Esma

This Alabama shooting is getting more and more depressing, who kills children?!?! What reason does anyone have for that?

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Joanne

Schools need to bring back discipline and respect for the teachers and other students. The students have too many "rights" – they are in school to learn and it is not always a feel-good experience!

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ugh. It is beyond my grasp on how someone can kill a child. No one can kill a child and be remotely sane...

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Maureen, Georgia

Now it's 11 dead, I hope there are no more people dead, this is so tragic & very very sad.

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Vanessa, TX

oh my...the details keep getting more gruesome..oh this is soo sad..

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. L. Carilo, H.R., CO

Anderson. Three great examples of what our educational system can produce. Great panel on education. ~ L.C.

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Cristy Kirssin

Steve Perry runs a tight ship at his school. One way to imporove the school systems is to hold teachers accountable to higher standards and greater expectations.

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Mando in Texas

What does this say ? If you type in "economy leads to violence" in any search engine, a slew of articles come up backing up that theory. How do you explain the frequency of these sort of events?

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Dani

I was listening to them discussing charter schools and merit pay for teachers. I want to know when the discussion will begin to hold parents accountable for their child's schooling. Not bringing their kids to school for days, weeks, months. Not supporting homework, etc... When are parents going to be accountable and made to join the education team?

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |