March 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/10/09

Tonight on AC360°, there are reports that singers Chris Brown and Rihanna are in a recording studio working on a duet. That's even though Brown is accused of brutally beating Rihanna, punching her repeatedly in the face until she was bloody. He also allegedly threatened to kill her. Oprah Winfrey warns Rihanna he will hit her again. Tonight, we look at the question: Why do battered women go back to the men who attack them? Let's keep this live blog going on this topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Sound off below.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Anthonia-California

@KIRA -Well, i use to be a fan of chris brown before all this domestic volience ever taken place, but idk... i really want rihanna to think things through before she makes a decision shes going to regret for the rest of her life...

But i believe there are greater things going on in the world than just to those two "celebrities" that are going through "issues"

just saying...

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi.
    It's very sad to hear of the situation in Alabama.
    I'm glad there will be–it seems–some justice in the Madoff case.
    Your discussion has been fascinating.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Mike Syracuse, NY

The solution: school vouchers. Let parents send their kids to the school of their choice. It costs more per student for a public school education than a private one. For less tax dollars we could send everyone to a private school with vouchers. Tenure and teacher unions are the enemy as well.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Nattada, Houston, TX

Women go back to their abusive husbands because they are weak and unsecure. One of the way to get them out is to educate them and help them to realize the value inside themselves. Make them know they do not need their abusive husbands to go on.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. sandi

It's called Trauma Bonding, or when you love someone, "Betrayal Bonding". Love and kindness is mixed with fear, abuse, and wrapped up with hope that 'she' can help him, rescue him or heal him through the power of her love.

Like a cocaine addict chasing that first high...that's what women chase when they go back to the abuser...chasing the dream, of how it was, once in a while, or how it could be.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Babs

It's Rhianna's a Brown's relationship. It's their choice. They have facts we don't have. And none of you, nor the state, should make it your business. Yes it's sad she was beaten. No, she probably didn't deserve it. Now let them get on with their private lives in the manner of *their* choosing.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Andrea

I not sure why women stay with men who beat them. All I know is love can change you mind. Your whole thought process. If you told day in and day out that you are worthless you start to fell worthless. You doubt everything you once thought. I think she loves him and believes that he truly loves her because day in and day out she has been told she is worthless. People with that kind of money are told whatever they want to hear and she may think that he is the only person that understands her and that is why she stayed with him.

March 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Our education system is really failing us. I think that the board of education in NYC should stop hiring teachers that are not as certified as the teachers in Long Island.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@ Kira,
    I have no comment about both singers Rhinna and Chris.......

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Those statistics are unacceptable! If we want to be the best, most advanced country we have to educate the best! I really hope President Obama does something about it! But then again anything is better than No Child Left Behind....which I'm convinced that Harry Potter did more for literacy in America than No Child Left Behind!

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Kira – Thanks for joining us again! All of us bloggers are going to be spoiled. I think there’s too much cognitive dissonance to enjoy some sort of entertainment that someone you look down on is involved in.

To enjoy the entertainment you need to believe in what you’re listening/reading/watching. That’s impossible if you don’t see the performers as good people.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Clarence Albuquerque

The budget passed so that the government could continue to function? What about all the "bailout" needs. I'm glad he's addressing the education needs. New ideas come only when the students are exposed to the ideas of the past.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. ann

hi anderson and all
    i think it is all about self esteem...rich or poor it does not matter...

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Glen up North, I agree with what you say, but I would not feel right patronizing someone like Chris Brown.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Janeen

Why do battered women stay? Sometimes, it's because the men involved are not the horrible monsters that people have made them out to be. Once an abuser, always an abuser? Of course not. Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes, those mistakes are huge. I was recently the victim of domestic violence, but I'm giving my husband the chance to go through counseling and anger management. I'm not saying that my husband is cured: believe me, I have safeguards in place. But I believe in him enough to give him a chance to work on it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Lauren--NY

Kira, that's a good question. I can't even look at Tom Cruise anymore.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Maureen T, Canada

I don't believe what Chris Brown did was right and the fact that Rihanna has gotten back together with him is not something I agree with or would've done but aside from that their art is art and they are still good entertainers to me regardless of what is going on in their private life. I personally separate their personal life from their entertainment life.

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. mary

as a women who was in an abusive marriage for years, the reason you stay is not a black and white idea. you stay for many reasons and the one thing that kept me bond to my ex-husband was the idea that my love would be able to change his rage.

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Haven't heard those words in a while: President Bush

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Bridget

Madolf serving time in prison doesn't equate to his crimes. He needs to pay physically, emotionally and financially.

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Yvon

I can't undertand with all the brains working for the F B I they can't find were all the money Madoff stole is stached away in Israel !! It's to simple of an answear for those guys cause they like to make it look complicated

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Kira – Not so sure. Every time I hear "Forever," I now picture a bullying thug. Kinda kills the song. I try to keep liking the music, but I often can't seem to sever the connection.

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  23. starr formerly known as vincent

Marin in Oregon

Loved you comment! and i agree...take everything that the family earned during the time they were involved with the crime and get the money back to the investors! from what i hear, many of them lost everything they had!

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Linda...I'm aboslutely with you on all the potential pre-requisites for owning a gun.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Laura

Re: domestic abuse

It's so sad that Rihanna thinks she can make something work with Chris Brown. I don't believe it's the case here, but some men will not let the woman go alive. These women are told so often of their impending death should they try to get away, that they believe it. And oftimes the men follow through with it. I remember my mom running into our house, white as a ghost, and locking the door behind her because the soon-to-be-ex had tried to run her off the road. He was everywhere and we kids were terrified. We're in our 40s now and still having nightmares, reliving the abuse.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. veronica

my heart breaks for rihanna,she is in denial.my mom was abuse for more than 50 years and she believe that she is still in love.its a miracle that she is alive. unfortunately my parents are still together making each other lives miserable. wake up rihanna before its too late.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Lori. I don't know... I would imaging (( Fear )) plays a big part in it...

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Lori from IL

Kira - sorry I've lost respect for both - Chirs Brown for what he did and Rihanna for going back to him– and find it hard to support ("album" sales) people for whom I've lost respect.

I don't understand why Rihanna would go back to him - she obviously knows the statistics on "battered woment" - so she's as much a part of the problem as Chris Brown.

As far as "changing" someone else - I don't believe this is possible. The only way a person will "change" is if they want to change (and seek any outside help they may need to effect the change.)

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Renee

This Chris Brown issue reminds me of the Warren Jeff's ex-wife that was on 360 all the time. She wrote the book. I can't remember her name. The abuse goes on and on.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Olorunbunmi--California

I just don't understand why people keep saying "Rhianna needs her head checked" and "Rhianna needs help". If anything, Chris Brown needs more help out of the two of them. I've been fortunate enough never to have been in the situation, however, I think people should concentrate on preventing and stopping people from abusing people, as well as removing people from abusive situations.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Fay - California

@Kira, it's not always easy to dismiss a celebrities bad behavior or reputation and still enjoy their work – I know that's the case for me regarding Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Zoee - Canada

@Kira Kleaveland: I believe that you can still be a fan of their work because what happened in the "private" aspect of their lives does not take away from the fact that they are good musicians, you know? You just have to let their work speak for itself I guess.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Lauren--NY

Ashley nailed it as usual. No one is saying that it is right, but desperate times lead to desperate measures. People are more likely to do something drastic if they feel they have no other options. It's not really a question of *blaming* the economy, but doesn't really surprise me that it would cause dangerous crime to increase.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Laszio in VA, There isn't enough time left in his life for Madoff to make up for destroying so many lives. There should be a more severe punishment for people like him.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Megan Dresslar – Shoreline

Me too... I hope they throw the book at him!

Maddoff = Made off (with their money) Interesting correlation in his name

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Pierre Vancouver

Bernie Madoff should be made to sell off all his remaining assets and set out on the street with the clothes on his back and a shopping cart. Right now he's living in his seven million dollar penthouse when he cheated thousands of people? that's ironic.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Sabrina

@Kira- I'm a fan of both Rihanna and Chris Brown's music as well. Rihanna bears no shame here she is the victim so I see no conflict with her. As for Chris Brown there will always be a cloud. There is no excuse for his actions. I don't see how one recovers from this and to think he is so young.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Stacy

@Kira: Maybe it shouldn't, but an artist's character matters to me. I don't want to financially support someone who has committed a crime/bad behavior. I could never buy Brown's music.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Mike Syracuse, NY

Why is it that the 2nd Amendment seems to be the only 'expendable' one in the Bill of Rights? If you are of age, not a felon, and not diagnosed as mentally ill, you should be able to buy a gun. I have no problem with waiting periods or even required gun safety courses, but the right is a basic part of our Constitution.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Cindy

@ Kira..IMO I wouldn't buy anything that Chris offered. In doing so you are forgiving him of abusing Rihanna and saying it was OK.

Cindy..Ga.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Penny, FL

I'm glad that 360 is using the Rihanna/Brown issue as a catalyst to speak about abused spouses as a whole, and not just sensationalizing the celebrities themselves.
    It was an awful thing that happened to Rihanna– and will probably happen again if she stays with Chris Brown– but it happens to a LOT of men and women, a LOT of the time.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

@ KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360 °

It is difficult to separate the attitudes and of professional life of the private life ... but I think we can admire the work of one person, and be against their personal attitudes ... contradictory, I am!

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Vanessa, TX

@Kira..I find I cringe when I see a Rihanna ad..almost feel sorry for her, As for Chris' music, i still hear it on radio...and what my local radio station said hes innocent till proven guilty, but if hes not denying, hes not innocent...I actually will turn the radio down when Chris Brown song comes on..I find no respect for him now

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. lily

This crook Madoff needs to go to jail along with anyone in his family who knew of the scheme. And take away their millions they have stashed away to compensate the people they have defrauded.

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Lisa

SO sad what has happend in our neighboring county.....this crazo drove a long way before shooting himself....from samson to geneva and then just a few miles from enterprise. Proably a good 45 miles from where in started and ended ....on two lane small town roads ....how could he get so far without being stopped!

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Patrick(Chicago)

I've worked in the pub industry since i was 17(11 years) and have seen a lot of these relationships around me. The truth is that it takes a sick person to love another sick person. It's sad on both sides, but they both choose to live that way. Sorry for the bluntness, but I've just seen it too much.

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Andrea, TN

@Kira That would bother me too (luckily I was only a fan of Rihanna's even before this). I think it would be wrong to not appreciate art for art's sake, even if the person who made it was a bad person. But I'd be wary of buying his CDs or supporting him monetarily in any way.

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

What does one DO with 60 plus billion dollars?

March 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Maren in Oregon

There is a big question out there, and Madoff is just part of it. Where is the money? Where did all the money go – from Wall Street, from Madoff, from all the failing banks. Is money just a ponzi scheme in and of itself?

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Mando in Texas

Looks like he's going to jail but his family might escape any investigating. In a way, looks like Madoff "made off" with bundle.

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |