March 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/10/09

Tonight on AC360°, there are reports that singers Chris Brown and Rihanna are in a recording studio working on a duet. That's even though Brown is accused of brutally beating Rihanna, punching her repeatedly in the face until she was bloody. He also allegedly threatened to kill her. Oprah Winfrey warns Rihanna he will hit her again. Tonight, we look at the question: Why do battered women go back to the men who attack them? Let's keep this live blog going on this topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Sound off below.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kameron

I am sorry to see Rihanna go back with Chris Brown. One would think that a person with her stature would have better self esteem. I hope the reports of him seeking counseling are correct. If they are and they both get help maybe it will have a good outcome. Most likely not. 🙁

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Saad, NJ

Madoff has killed hundreds and thousands of parents dreams, grandparents dreams as well as so many children future..... he is no less criminal than Osama Bin Laden or other terrorists who kill innocent people....

I am not a supporter of death penalty but people like Madoff and Osama deserve to be killed.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Jacki E.

I believe Madoof is pleading guilty in hopes of keeping his family out of it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Rob

Greetings all From Brandon, Manitoba. Cananda.

I gotta say that I am deeply saddened by what has happened in Alabama. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families that have lost loved ones.

What has happened to us.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Glen Up North

Kira, being a musician and big music lover, I'll answer that question straightforward: _yes_, it is possible to like a musician's music despite their undesirable behaviour. Otherwise, there would be no such thing as a "diva", Jim Morrison of the Doors would not be an icon, and a good deal of the music industry would simply not exist. 🙁

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Bea

Won't know the full money because the very rich don't want to talk about money. They won't admit they've been scammed.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

50 billion or 60 billion... sums I can't comprehend anyway...

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

No one needs a semi-automatic weapon.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Eric Walker, Miami FL

What about the SEC auditors? What did they investigate if Madoff did not buy Stocks for years?

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Nattada, Houston, TX

Madoff is still in his comfort of his apartment? Why??

I do not know how the victims feel about he going to jail for life. Will they get some of their money back? I do not like the idea that his wife can keep everything they have now without giving back to all the victims.

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Amen Jeffrey! Somebody at that company knew or at the very least had reason to know what was going on and they should face charges too!

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

Madoff's family had to know about all of this even with his wife looking over the banks accounts and all the extras that he was accumulating before he was caught. There is no way they couldnt have known that something was going on

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. laura

madoff's name is very appropriate-he made off with a lot of peoples money

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Kassie Wright

Ken in NC:

It's interesting (the whole idea of rich person years), isn't it? I forget how long before he could get parole, but since Madoff is such a notorious case, they definitely won't be obvious about favouring him, if they do. Otherwise, people are going to be pretty steamed, and then there goes Rule of Law...

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I don't know about Alabama's carry and conceal laws, but I know in Louisiana, I have to go through a pretty thorough process to get licensed to carry my pistol. Chances are, this guy had this gun beforehand. Guns seem to be a Southern right of passage. Not all gunowners are morons or mentally insane. Most of us just appreciate our 2nd amendment rights and want to protect ourselves.

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  16. al pepin

I guess we're supposed to ignore all of the news regarding Chris Brown and encourage our kids to vote him a Nickelodeon award? Now they are making a record together? Are we so blind we will buy anything that is served up to us?

Rihanna represents every mother,sister and daughter. Would you support anything that benefited your mothers/daughters/sisters attacker?

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Laszlo in VA

RE: How much jail time do you think Madoff should get? I think 1 year for every million dollars, so thats 50,000 years in prison. I think thats more than fair.

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Rafael

Madoof life in prison..............that shows that even money fraud can land you in jail for good. Also that now-adays it's fairly easy for a person to get caught for doing any kind of fraud.

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Clarence Albuquerque

Sounds like he's protecting his own methods and the real damage done. Who will ever know the extent of the damages?

March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Cindy

There is no way Madoff did all of this by himself...NO WAY!!

I love seeing Toobey back on!

Cindy..Ga.

March 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Cherry B - Ms

Hello everyone. This shooting is so very sad, expecially since it involves a child. I'm in Mississippi and this kind of shooting just never happens in these rural areas. Seems like this country is sufferig with a more than normal amount of violence lately.

March 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Cristy Kirssin

Bernie Madoff is a crook! Some of the money he scammed was for philothranpic puposes, such as the Birthright Israel fund sending kids to Israel and I hear some of this programming may be cancelled, earlier than expected. He is a sad person and I hope his punishment is just.

cristy Kirssin

March 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I think Bernie may still be in denial. People like him don't seem to comprehend the fact that they're not invincible.

March 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Linda

@ Casey

I am not saying people don't have the right to have guns, I believe that we do have the right, all I am saying is maybe people need to pass some test and have classes in order to own a gun, I don't think thats too much to ask, and a semi-automatic thats ok, Well I'd want to know what someone wants with that kind of a gun and would be making sure that there is some requirement to obtaining one.

25. Teri

All I can say is he WILL do it again – I was 14 yrs into a marriage with 2 kids and thought it was normal it's NOT – God bless her – hopefully she will open her eyes and realize this is not what she wants in life. It affected both of my kids, for the worst!!

26. Bea

Madoff will probably try to get into one of those cushy prisons. I hope they put him in the dump.

27. Isabel, Brazil

Madoff has agreed to plead guilty to 11 counts of fraud.
    Eleven counts of fraud – only!

28. Vanessa, TX

are the people that Madoff scammed gonna get money back?? any kind of money?

29. Lori from IL

Why does any individual need to own a semi-automatic weapon?

The "right to bear arms" is one thing - but I don't think "semi-automatic weapons" are what the founding fathers had in mind when passing the Constitutional ammendment.

30. Renee

Randi, please stay at the coop until you get a photo of Mr. and Mrs. Madoff in their orange jump suits!

31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally!!!!! I am so happy that Bernice Madoff is found guilty, he stole my money!!!!! I hope he will be there in jail.

32. EJ (USA)

It's not the job loss is the only reason. It's that some people in high stress situations are prone to more impulsive and reckless behavior. When so many more people are under stress – especially financial stess that seems to make a lot of people anxious – more (a few more) start taking it out on other people.

33. toni

Many times when involved in domestic violence emotion gets in the way of logic. You really want to believe it won't happen again. It's bondage and at times can take so many ..."I'm sorry, it won't happen again"' before they seek help.

34. KIRA KLEAVELAND AC360°

So I am/was big fans of both Rihanna and Chris Brown's music. Now, i don't know what to think. Is it possible to like a musician's music, or an actor's movies even after they've committed a crime or been involved in behavior you don't approve of? What do you guys think?

35. Christine, Bethesda, MD

But where is the $$?

36. starr formerly known as vincent

I support gun rights for responsible people. I have guns, i have been trained how to use them and i keep them safely (so no one can steal or use them (have lock).

Semi-automatic may be another thing altogether.

37. Minou, New York City

Will they seize his assets? His wife should not be able to keep homes they own, since it's been bought with money attained thru fraud. any info on what the wife gets to keep?

38. Fay - California

The gun laws aren't nearly as strict as they should be and most politicians don't want to tangle with the NRA, so too many guns are getting into the hands of people who have no business owning them.

39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Tom in Philly...I'm one of those who walks down the street saying "hi" to people. I think a lot of that depends on the community itself. If we would all do this (communicate openly) maybe there would be less violence?

40. Paige S

Maybe we were all just hoping that it would never come to this – that we wouldn't have to watch the country fall apart as in the Great Depression. Though the Alabama shooting was horrific, we must not allow ourselves to accept it as a "consequence" of our current situation. We cannot open the door to that kind of chaos. Investigate, tend to the families, please tighten gun controls, but let this not be the herald of our depression.

41. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Job loss doesn't make reasonable and logical people kill. But it can trigger issues they already have.

42. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    how much actual time will the infamous Bernie Madoff do?? 150 years? We'll see the actual games his lawyer can play!!

43. Maren in Oregon

This Madoff pleas CANNOT include a pass on the Madoff family, especially his wife!! She was his secretary, his accountant – she cannot be let off. Ev erything they bought ov er the last 15 years should be taken and sold. A cardboard box is too good for them.

44. Cindy

I can't believe Madoff is going to plead guilty with no plea deal! I hope he gets the utmost time in prison.

Cindy..Ga.

45. Lisa Williams

I grew up watching my mom being battered by my stepdad. I asked her the same question – why go back – and her answer always included "because I love him", and "because I can change him". I never understood, and made up my mind when I was a child that I would never be beaten by my husband when I got married. And I haven't. Ever. I've been married for 17 years now to the love of my life.

46. Dani in Tucson

I agree with Bea, guns are not the problem, nor do they kill people, people are the problems, they just choose that as a weapon to kill.

47. Sarah

It's not shocking that Rihanna went back to Chris Brown. This is an issue of domestic violence, which at its core is a cycle of abuse. The batterer often exerts control over the victim and its this control and power that brings that person back to the relationship again and again.

48. Esma

I don't think Madoff should have a deal, too many people lost EVERYTHING, not just some of their savings. Lock him up and take his money away from him.

49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

This Madoff this is crazy. 150years in prison! wow.

50. Clarence Albuquerque

Much higher scheme that $50 billion and who can measure the damage done to the personal lives of those affected.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10