March 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/10/09

Tonight on AC360°, there are reports that singers Chris Brown and Rihanna are in a recording studio working on a duet. That's even though Brown is accused of brutally beating Rihanna, punching her repeatedly in the face until she was bloody. He also allegedly threatened to kill her. Oprah Winfrey warns Rihanna he will hit her again. Tonight, we look at the question: Why do battered women go back to the men who attack them? Let's keep this live blog going on this topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Sound off below.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Bernie Madoff deserves to be in jail! And all of his assets sold off to pay back at least some of what he stole from all those people!

Randi looks cold!

March 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

@Ashley, it's Alabama...... a conservative state. Not too much focus on the selling of guns, only on the second amendment.

March 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Rafael

This past Sunday a pastor looses his life to a gunman who actually mark death day on his calender. Now we have another person who actually killed 10 people for unknown reasons. So much violent and especially with gunman's. Even thought incident like this happens often a lot.

March 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Mike Syracuse, NY

Tens of millions own guns and don't commit any crimes. Gun control isn't the answer. Thousands die every year from cancer from cigarettes, yet no one says to outlaw them.

March 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Pradeep

In the past few months there have been an increase in shootings and deaths of innocent people including children. How many more innocent lives needs to be lost before law makers realize the need to change gun ownership laws/rights??

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Bridget

I believe the shootings go far deeper than job loss. In most of the cases where the shooting is related to job loss friends, coworkers/neighbors have said the person had problems prior to the job loss.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Esma

Craziness of all descriptions seem to be on the rise, be it spree killings (a term I don't like, it sounds too cheerful and reminds me of the candy), domestic violence, suicides, just all around horrible stuff.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Clarence Albuquerque

That was a sad bit of breaking news.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Vanessa, TX

I'm stunned @ the fact that Rihanna and Chris are making music?? I think Oprah's right, he is gonna hit her again, except this time he's gonna know how to do it without leaving evidence..its the shocking story that happens all the time

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Ken in NC

They say B. Madoff could get 150 years total in prison for his guilty pleas. I want to know how many years that would equate to in "Rich Man Years". It sounds like he is pleading guilty to cover for others that may have been involved and will he be made to serve his prison time in his Manhattan Prison Condo?

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Dee Janssen

Anderson, my first marriage became abusive, even when I was holding our 10 mth old daughter one time – the last time. I stayed in that marriage 4 yrs too long, sometimes blamed my actions for his violence and am lucky I never had to go to the emergency room, or worse. I hope that Rihanna gets some good counseling to understand that this is rarely a one time event and they always say they are sorry and it won't happen again, then it does. This isn't how a relationship should be nor how one should want to live.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike..."f this is job loss related, I wonder if there is also a spike in domestic violence and suicide as well."

I would buy stock in that theory, if it was available. Absolutely. Don;t forget the big "D," depression.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Glen Up North

The irony is that I was having a semi-heated debate with a fellow musician before rehearsal this evening, prompted by a Simpsons episode. He simply asked me: "What do you think of the right to bear arms?" I answered the less guns around, the better. Then we started talking of more and more convoluted situations, until I finally said, "It takes us 2 years to get a _full_ driver's license here (in Canada), why not do the same with guns?"

March 10, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Why is it so easy for these people to get guns? Did he have a permit for his weapon? How strict are Alabama gun laws?

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

Mike Syracuse:
    I bet dom. violence and suicides are up already...and divorces, except ppl cant afford to get divorced right now..

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I am enjoying watching your show.

Hopefully they will look at their relationship and there will be no violence.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Bea

Guns are not the problem. If the right folks had pulled theirs out after this guy hed have been stopped long before then. Moreover, the speaker said this was not a common occurrence in that area and I'm sure it's gun country.

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Anthonia-California

Heello everyone!

@Bea, i totally couldnt believe it either, job losses should be the reason for killing innocent lives..

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Isabel, Brazil

It is difficult to measure the desperation of a person ...

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"Why is it that the most hianess acts accure iin the South and bible belt of the U.S."

Wow. Is that really true (as a fact)? I could speculate why, but I don't think it would be appropriate.

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Renee

In Florida, the newspaper keeps reporting that sales of bullets are rising along with the prices.

@ Glen Up North: What do you mean by "kept under pressure by society"?

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. renee' Nashville,Tn

Any one who has a semi automatic weapon is a danger

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Minou, New York City

If the US wouldn't allow every moron to carry a weapon, these things could not happen as frequently as they do.

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Penny, FL

Semi-automatic. Goodness. Who *needs* one of those? I wonder if he got it from that walmart he returned to.

March 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Rafael

This country is going to become more violent than it was before this economy went down and people started to loose there jobs.

March 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Bea

Have they id'd the gunman?

March 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Mike Syracuse, NY

If this is job loss related, I wonder if there is also a spike in domestic violence and suicide as well.

March 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Bridget

May God Bless us all. The Alabama shooting is so sad and so unnecessary.

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Esma

What kind of guns did this sicko have?!

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Did the shooter have any history of violence or anger issues? How do these people get guns?

Ashley NY
    Good question....... yes.... he have anger issues, or else... I think....

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Maren in Oregon

Job loss can't be the only reason. Even in good times we've had many incidents of "going postal", a regretable tag which grew out of toomany similar incidents of rage & guns and needless death.

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Andrea, TN

@Eric Others have made their guesses, but also I think there are a lot of people who own guns around here. I don't know the statistics, if it is more than other places or not, but it certainly seems like a lot to me. And so it follows many own guns that probably shouldn't b/c of their likelihood to snap like this.

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Isabel, Brazil

Sad thing is the child who died ...

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Linda...I understand the feelings behind gun control, but I'm not prepared to trample any part of our Constitution (even if I don't enjoy equal rights myself).

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Reminds me of the shooting spree in Idaho one year, that was terrifying. And officer was killed, and this happened in the middle of the night. Crazy how people can find it in themselves to kill another...

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  36. Tom from Philly

@ Eric, in the northeast people just walk around mad angry and to busy to care.... way down in dixie everyone smiles and says hello and push their inner beast inside till it pops, does that explain it? all i know in philadelphia when someone talks to you its for money a cigarette or a scam to get money... i was shocked when people strangers would just say hi and not want anything when i was in atlanta

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Bea

Job loss leading to killing? Gimme a break. Some people are just lazy and selfish want to blame the world for their problems. Lots of people out of jobs and they don't hurt others.

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Mando in Texas

Even if this type of thing is one in a million, you have to consider that several million people have lost their jobs. If indeed that was the cause of it, the economic situation is something that needs to be taken cautiously in that respect.

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Nattada, Houston, TX

Good evening everyone.

What a sad news. My heart and preyer go out to victims and families of the victims. How depress can one person be to go about shooting innocent people like that and then hinself, too.

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

This killing spree can hardly be blamed on the economy. Millions lost their jobs, and they're not out their murdering people to make themselves feel better.

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Stacy

@Eric: Horrible things happen everywhere.

March 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its really sad that all of this violence is happening due to the economy troubles. We had a few here in the Northwest, one here in Spokane where a man shot his wife and child and one in Seattle where a man shot his entire family and both were due to losing their jobs.

March 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Esma

@ EJ–I remember that story.

March 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This definitely does not sound random, Anderson!

@Esma...I agree I really hope this stays the exception rather than the rule!

March 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  45. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Hi Anderson,

I agree with you, I definitely think that he had a plan.

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@ Glen...Gosh, I hope we don't have to endure extensive coverage with this tonight. Let's at least wait until we have more FACTS.

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  47. Glen Up North

Eric, I believe it's a question of pressure: in my humble opinion, the more people are kept under pressure by society, the most likely they are apt to "snap" and act out.

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  48. gill - north of 49

Evening everyone – sad news to start off the program tonight – unfortunately, with the stress and pressure from tough economic times like these, we should be prepared to see an increase in violence- domestic, criminal and otherwise.

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Rafael

Ok.......so let me get this straight the gunman njust killed 10 random people and himself.

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so horrible I heard that one child killed!!!!! OHHHH NOOO!

March 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |