March 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/6/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's CNN Money Summit? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Erica and the AC360° during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. JILL, AC360 PRODUCER

Goodnight everyone .. have a great weekend.

March 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Glenn, Fairplay CO

@ Brian Quigley – I agree. I am a "selective" protectionist. I don;t think we should offer "free trade" to countries that don't have similar labor and environmental regulations.

March 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Isabel, Brazil

What a pity that just as fast ... today was so good!

I was spoiled ... I want to again, OK?

March 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. RJ (Washington)

I find the belief that we must now form a "Bad Bank" to absorb the "toxic mortgages" very distirbing.

March 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Goodnight Erica and all the AC360 crew bloggers. Goodnight to the best of the best bloggers ib the world.

Have a great wknd everyone.

March 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Bea, BettyAnn, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Pati, Casey Sean, Soldier in IRAQ and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Have a weekend!!!!!!!
    See you on Monday night!!!!!
    Don't forget one hour ahead forward!!!!! 🙂

March 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Esma

Goodnight everyone!!!
    I look forward to hearing more from the producers! This was awesome!

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Jacqueline, NY

Have a great weekend everyone

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Tom from Philly

@ jan in flint, right on and those parent companies started and built their business in a country that has national healthcare and national pensions, institutionally no legacy costs, we cant compete we are paying for the uninsured and underinsured and waste and lack of good planning in every aspect of our society in whats left of american manufacturing.

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Joe from Boston

The new administration's plan is just being rolled out and it will take time for us to see a Return On Investment. It took eight long years with trillions of dollars wasted along the way. Please give President Obama and his team a reasonable amount of time for the recovery plan to kick in.

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

Good night all - hope you have a good weekend.

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Cristy Kirssin

Nice chatting with everyone! I really enjoyed talking to Erica and getting answers from the producers!

Cristy

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Suze did tell us it was a bad idea to send our gold into these companies on the commercial but she did tell us that we could walk into a jeweler and sell it!...I don't know why I remember that! 🙂

Goodnight everybody! Good conversation tonight! Have a great weekend! Loved the Money Summit!

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  14. ALYSSA AC360 STAFF

wait, it's over? Sniff, sniff. Learning about the financial crisis has never been less painful. Thanks for sharing your voices bloggers!

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  15. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Liked the interaction of the AC360 team on the blog tonight. Hope it continues. Makes interacting on the LIVE blog more enjoyable!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Nite all.

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  16. Ken Mitchell

Anderson, Ali
    Really the only way to jump start the economy is to put money in the hands of comsumers. We don't take a bonus or golden parachute, we spend on items that we want and need. If President Obama had just given us 1 million dollars we woild have cost less and we would have pushed up all the markets, Wall Street, Banks and Auto Industry. The american consumer gets the tax bill and also pays for the buyout. Yet, we could have ended this whole crisis quickly if we we given the money. When will big business and our elected officials learn to trust us over big corporations.

March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  17. ASHLEY CORUM, AC360

Thanks for welcoming us tonight everyone - we'll be on more next week!!!

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Dodie from CA

Good evening... have a wonderful weekend...

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Sharon S

great show though depressing! Have a Great Weekend Everyone!

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Good night!!!

Have a nice weekend, Anderson!!!

See you on Monday!!!

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  21. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson, and productores!
    Great job!

A great weekend ...
    We see us on Monday!!

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  22. Jacqueline, NY

The hour is gone already?

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  23. Dodie from CA

As a country, we need to get creative again... we need to find a product that we could export world wide and everyone would like one 🙂

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  24. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Erica- i'm confused too on the gold thing. So i'm going to go with my instinct and not buy gold.

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  25. Laura

It's clear I do not belong in the company of this panel, particularly in discussion of whether to buy gold or not. Obviously Stephen has a secure house, a secure job, etc.

I had equity in my home and mutual funds but now I am homeless, have no job, going on 60, no health insurance. Gold will not put food on the table. Give me a break.

March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  26. JASON - AC360° PRODUCER

Well this hour has flown by...it was fun. Looking forward to trying it again on Monday...

Hope everyone enjoyed having us...

March 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  27. ericacnn

Have a GREAT weekend everyone – see you Monday. Thanks for blogging tonight!

March 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  28. JR Miami, FL

yeah for Ali"s charts!

looking forward to you story, Erica

March 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  29. Isabel, Brazil

Producers,

Please, ask the commentators to speak one at a time ... I'm getting lost, despite the excitement of them is great!

March 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  30. Dodie from CA

Erica...

It is all confusing... I don't think anyone really knows... that is why so many mixed messages

March 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  31. Mandy, Canada

@Karen C – I agree that The Great Frustration is a completely appropriate name.

The other thing no one seems to be talking about is, what do you do if you can't rely on food banks? Or eating cheaply at restaurants? I'm on a gluten-free specific diet that is not only expensive, but I'm not eligible to receive any government aid to subsidize said dietary requirement.

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  32. Jacqueline, NY

So, I interviewed for a job two weeks ago for the assistant position to a bookstore owner and I was feeling rather positive about the experience. The employer even said then at the end of the session that she felt strongly about me since I come highly recommended by a mutual friend and colleague of hers, and some time employer of mine.

Anyway, long story short, the bookstore owner emailed me yesterday you say that due to frighteningly slow sales, she must put a hold on any new hires, but that I was still on her radar. Nice!

The job was not going to pay anything close to what I was being paid in any other jobs I have held ($20 – $25 per hour for temp executive assistant,) but I was Sooooooo ready and willing to get started, but then this email. Oh, well what can you do? Just move on. But move on to what? Where? And how?

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  33. ericacnn

WOO HOO! Thanks, JB

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I never invested in the market and I probably won't anytime soon. Maybe down the road, i'm only 21.

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  35. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, Stephen Leeb's suggestion to buy metals.....does buying gold jewelry count? That's more up my alley, at least I can wear it! 🙂

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  36. Brandi- bottom of the boot

goodnite all, this is depressing. 🙂 but i still love you ali!!

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  37. Karen C

I didn't hate the bailout until I saw the banks were NOT going to pass it on, could not provide an explanation and apparently Washington can't make them do anything. THAT is what I hate. I understand perfectly how stabalizing the banks could save us. What seems to be a problem is *what* will stabalize the banks.

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  38. Stacy

@Jill: Yeah, can Erica do the story? Heh. (Just providing a little backup there.)

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  39. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

I hear you, I come from a family of traders and brokers and yes, it does drive them crazy, it's all I hear about, the good, the bad and the ugly. They wanted to retire early in their 50's, unfortunately now they are late 40's early 50's and because of this, they're retirement plans are on hold. I worry about them when I see the stress they go through. A reason why I never got into wanting to follow their lead, but I do follow the markets I just don't let it live my life.

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  40. Dodie from CA

@ Esma

Actually Wall Street did not cause the depression in the 1930s

Wall Street is only an indicator of the future. It is not an absolute

March 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  41. RJ (Washington)

Consider how much we really saved when we bought the more reliable and better resale foreign built cars.

What ever we saved is not being spent to prop GM and Chrysler, so did we really save anything.

March 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |