March 6th, 2009

Chris Brown: Nickelodeon's man of the year?

Amy Holmes | Bio
AC360° Contributor

Even if Rihanna may not bear responsibility to her young fans for her private choices, surely Nickelodeon owes them more. Chris Brown remains in the running for the Nickelodeon's Kids Choice Awards Vote 2009. For realz:

1. waking

he is a young men who needs help, no wonder must kids dont want to tell their parents about their issues. when people make a mistake, he needs help not judgement or everybody turning their back on them. What's Chris Brown done is wrong but he need help, not to be push over the edge.

March 9, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  2. barb

Nick has no moral obligation to children, there obiligation is to the stock/share holders. Parents need to do there job of having a moral obligation to their children and forbid them to watch "Nick". Then Nick will aquire a moral obligation to the children who support them.

March 6, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  3. Joyce Alla

I'm sure Nikelodeon will come to their senses. Clearly, neither Brown nor Rihanna are role models for our children. What's sad is that they had the opportunity to bring Teen Dating Violence into the spotlight, and they could have modeled how to get help.

March 6, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  4. adiaha

Shura – This has nothing to do with race. A monster is a monster is a monster period dot dot dot. White men, Asian men, Latin men, etc. all beat their wives. It isn't his race that makes him do it, it is the lack of respect for women and you do not have to of the African persuasion to become an abuser.

March 6, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

Nickelodeon might yet drop Brown from its contest – sometimes it takes a little time to make the decision (consult lawyers on contract) and then implement it (get web guys to change the page). If they don't drop Brown like they should then I won't be buying anything of theirs and I'll be petitioning my cable company to drop their station.

March 6, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  6. brittney w

Yes Chris Brown was wrong! Putting your hands on a woman is not excusable BUT why does the 1st comment have to be about black males?!? I work in the court system & see the damn number of abusive white males as black, & females for that instance! Wrong is wrong not matter your race?! Why are we still making everything a race thing–people broaden your minds, you so plain ignorant!

March 6, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  7. Stacy from NJ

Sad, just sad. And he is begging for votes. Maybe he can accept his award from jail. Where he belongs.

March 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  8. Brittney

Noelani-We do know what happened. The police statements have come out. He beat her. She confronted him about a text message and he nearly killed her. There is no gray area in this case. In my opinion he needs to be charged with attempted homicide! He threatened to kill her and left her on the side of the road unconscious. I think he did feel he killed her and got out of there. I think the domestic dispute laws in this country are a joke? Why is it that assaulting a family member/spouse/gf or bf carries a lesser charge than assaulting a stranger? I doubt he will even serve any jail time. Absolutely unacceptable...

March 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  9. Sam

This is crazy! He is not a role model for children in any way! Nickelodeon is going to get a lot of complaints...for realz

March 6, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  10. Brittney

It would be in Nickelodeon's best interest to remove Chris Brown from the running. What message are you sending the young fans? You are saying that a man who nearly killed his girlfriend is man of the year? As a mother, I am DISGUSTED that Chris Brown is still up for the award. If Nickelodeon doesn't remove him from the contention, I think as parents, we need to step up and boycot Nickelodeon. Ridiculous...

March 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  11. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I know I won't be buying anything with the Nickelodeon brand for my nieces, nephews, and goddaughters if this is the type of role model the network chooses to honor. Chris Brown is definitely not the sort of man I want my girls to date or marry. He's surely not the sort of man I want my boys to become. How screwed up are these people at Nickelodeon anyway?

March 6, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  12. Noelani

No one knows really what happened, except the two of them. Just remember everyone, it takes two to make it or break it. Let's not add to it. We all make choices, but I will however, pay more attention to what my children watch to be sure they get the appropriate influences.

March 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  13. Me dude

Let me make this perfectly clear...Mr. Brown should get down on his knees and thank the almighty God, that I and some of my buds are not related to Rhianna in anyway, because if we were, we would become Mr. Browns most serious nightmare he has ever had in his entire life!

March 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  14. Carol

I am really tired of people making excuses for Chris Brown, which they've been doing since the incident occurred. "He's young", "she provoked it", "don't judge, wait til the full story comes out", etc. Well, the full story is out and he terrorized and beat a woman who was captive in his moving vehicle. So what are the apologists going to say now?

The young girls who watch Nick should be told that he is a brutal attacker of a young woman. He should be punished to the full extent of the law. And Rihanna should go into serious therapy because she is following the path many abused women take of remaining in a cycle of violence despite the obvious ultimate conclusion. Right now she believes he's sorry, and I'm sure he is....right up to the next time he does it.

March 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  15. whateverebay

Are you kidding me?? Nickelodeon should NOT allow it. I am disgusted by his actions. No human should ever lay a hand on another, other than to show love and compassion.

This is a wrong move if the producers allow Chris Brown to appear. If indeed he wins a prize allow a Rep to accept on his behalf; if needed to.

His recent actions is the cause of my not wanting his face and name in front of my children!

March 6, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  16. Sarah, Greenville, NC

Chris Brown is not a man, much less a man of the year. Rihanna was beaten severely and from the police's account of the attack, she defended herself like that wasn't the first time.

March 6, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  17. Ole George

There is absolutely no excuse for any man to beat up on a woman...
    no matter what the circumstances are!
    A REAL MAN (who happens to get in some sort of heated dialog with his lady) will simply walk away...end of story!!

March 6, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  18. Ivet

I know of a way for Chris Brown to learn from this mess....Just put him in a cage with Mike Tyson! That way Chris Brown will know how it feels to have two swollen eyes shut, a busted lip and contusions. Any man who hits a woman is a PUNK!!!

March 6, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  19. Karen

I was once in the same position (although not as severe) as Rhianna but luckily was able to walk away after the first time it happened and I have never looked back. To reward this kind of behavior in any way is appalling. What does this say to our young people?

They both need some serious counseling, specifically Chris. That's where the focus should be, not honoring someone just because he sold a lot of records. I have used this as a teaching tool for my children (teenage daughter and young son).

We need to stop turning our heads away from this serious problem and work to break the cycle...not reward someone for this type of behavior.

March 6, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  20. Kumar Pun

There is no way that Chris Brown is going to win the title after this fiasco. NO WAY. I mean what the public should understand is that he is a VERY talented kid. Maybe if all this hadn't happened, he could very well take the award. No one gets hurt. But it is very unfortunate that this had to happen to him. I'm not endorsing his behavior or domestic violence in any way shape or form, just acknowledging the setback and backlash that should be weighing down on this kid's mind. He just wasn't thinking st8. I just hope he and America will take away lessons from his experience and justice is rightly served.

March 6, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  21. Isabel, Brazil

And people such as these, influence the young people and the masses to our despair!

March 6, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  22. Karla Samayoa-Jones

It's a shame that she still went back with him. She's making the biggest mistake of her life but we are nobody to judge. I personally think is none of our business but I really like her and hate to see something worse to happen to her and by that I mean " DEATH". Her family will be the ones suffering for her death. Next time she'll be in the news but it will be announcing her tragic death that everybody seen coming except her. What's going on with men today? They are just getting very abusive and violent.

March 6, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  23. RickyDee

Chris Brown is moving from victim to perpetrator. That is what happens in families of domestic violence. He needs treatment, court ordered and monitored. Rihanna too.

March 6, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  24. Phoenix

This is absolutely ridiculous!! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

March 6, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  25. Darin

Shameful, just shameful. Nick, you better act quick and remove this fool from your site.

March 6, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  26. Cori

I can't believe Nickelodeon would condone his behavior, and leave his in running contention. If Kellog's pulls Phelps' endoresments over pot, then a charge as serious as violence should mean removing his image altogether. I'm blocking Nickelodeon on our T.V. as long as this violent abuser is on their website. I do NOT condone violence, and they shouldn't either.

March 6, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  27. mandie

this is awful! thanks for sharing.

March 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  28. Terry a Malason

The only award this guy should be in the running for is the award of a stripped prison suit.

March 6, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  29. Linda Browning

If he becomes and is pushed forward in winning this honor, which will state that its "okay" to hit women then our family will stop watching Nickelodeon.
    My son has looked up to Chirs Brown and I saw him as a role model,
    what is he now? A young boy who needs help but is held back by excuses. How sad.

March 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  30. Ashley from St. Joseph Mo

This is sick and OUTRAGOUS!!!!!! Take him off already!!! Thats a kids show,,, What we want a "MAN of the year" to be an abuser? NO WAY!

March 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  31. shura

i hate to say it but rhinna is making her own bed..she just may have to lie in it. next time, and there will be a next time...she may not be alive to tell her story. shame on her for going back to him. by doing this, she is saying it is ok for him to treat me like a piece of meat. who cares if she is a role model...have some self respect. this is a scary pattern especially among the males of the african american community

March 6, 2009 at 3:42 pm |