March 5th, 2009

Sides prime for new gay-marriage fights

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/03/05/california.same.sex/art.prop8.for.cnn.jpg]
Tamara Audi and Geoffrey A. Fowler
The Wall Street Journal

The California Supreme Court will hear arguments Thursday in a case that seeks to overturn the state's ban on same-sex marriage. But far from delivering the final word on the matter, the court's eventual ruling appears likely only to set the stage for more battles to come.

"It's going to be an ongoing struggle," said the Rev. Sam Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference. Mr. Rodriguez opposes gay marriage.

Mr. Rodriguez and others have begun planning a campaign to recall any justices who rule to overturn the constitutional amendment effectively banning gay marriage. Meanwhile, proponents of same-sex marriage have been holding rallies and collecting signatures and are launching new TV commercials.

Read more...

1. G. Martinez

Why is the homosexual community so intolerant of the beliefs of the overwhelming majority of this nation’s good citizens? Why do they continue to try and impose their belief system on my family?

There are just some core beliefs that can not be given up to the fancies or Hollywood inspired societal trends. Yes, we love the sinner and would never do or wish them harm of any kind. This is a core Christian belief, to love the sinner. But also a core Christians and Muslims and Jewish belief is to detest as does God the sin of homosexuality. As those that follow the writen law in the Bible or Torah or Koran it is impossible to reconcile the acceptance of homosexuality with leading a spiritual life. It is written law for them. Christians give to Cesar that which belongs to Cesar’s, but to God what is his.

March 6, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  2. G. Martinez

This issue of homosexual marriage is so much bigger. Yes, the entire base of our society depends on the traditional family unit being respected and encouraged. This should be a simple idea to grasp. Besides, the people have spoken in California. That has to be respected.

March 6, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  3. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

We all have rights and in essence we owe it to ourselves and others to respect them-–but is it really and issue about "rights"--or rather illict behavior and lifestyle-

March 6, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  4. ,Barbara-Dalton Ga

I don't understand the uproar over gay marriage. I have more on my
    plate to worry about than who marries who. Banning gay marriage will not prevent people from being gay. It is still present, has been and always will be. I admit I don't understand even remotely why people are gay, straight, or bisexual I don't believe it is a choice made
    by simply saying to oneself I will be gay. If gay people desire marriage
    then let them marry, spend time, money and energy on something
    that is more important than worrying about who marries who.

March 5, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  5. JC-Los Angeles

In an era in which countless leaders, executives and politicians have helped run our nation into the ground without any regard for their fellow man, why are we trying to prevent two loving people from being together?

I guess this whole issue says an awful lot about how low we have fallen.

March 5, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

I'm surprised that California is having this battle over gay marriage; usually California leads the way on progressive legislation. One question though that I have not heard addressed is how gay couples' rights will be treated in states that do not recognize gay marriage. Seems like an easy question but I learned years ago that states recognize marriages as legal that were performed in another state even if the couple wasn't old enough to be married in the state they now resided in – it was called reciprocity. It seems to me that if states have reciprocity on marriage law then a gay marriage from one state would have to be recognized in all the other states. That doesn't seem to be the case though and I wonder why. Perhaps my information is faulty on reciprocity but to me if reciprocity does exist then a gay couple could marry in a state like CT and then go home to California and still have a perfectly legal binding marriage.

March 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  7. Timothy Gibson

Mr. Rodriguez and others like him who find it in their hearts to even think about recalling any justice who does not follow their own faith or belief is a prime example of the tactics used in promoting the ban to strip away the rights of a select minority. It is immoral for the Mr. Rodriguez's to act in such a manner, when what they really need to do is ask themselves what Jesus would do.

March 5, 2009 at 8:02 pm |