March 5th, 2009

Anderson interviews George Clooney about Darfur

Watch Anderson's entire exclusive interview with George Clooney about his activism and recent news about Darfur.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Darfur • Global 360°
  1. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Missed your show last night,just watched the video.I think you both make a good job.Thank you for support the forgatten people there.Just in woldwild bad times we have to take care about this people.@ Tammy.To compare Nazi Germany with Darfur i think its insulting.

March 6, 2009 at 7:33 am |
  2. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

Hi Anderson, the interview was very positive, though informative at the same time, in keeping with George Clooney's upbeat, positive personality. It gives you the feeling, like, yes, there are problems, but we are accomplishing good things here! I'm glad there were no images of violence and death.

March 5, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  3. Joe G. (Illinois)

Too many suits already.. And when you add George Clooney.. by his own admission “Nothing really changes.” They say that vanity is usually the cause of lots of evil in the world.. But then again, they could all be wrong!

March 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  4. Sharon S

I could care less about George Clooney but I suppose him being an actor does have its perks he can get notice that obviously just ordinary people doing ordinary things can't get!

Well I hope he does some good, I would like to think he is good for something since his acting is terrible!

Although I wish we could stick to politics and get off this celebrity gig!

March 5, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  5. Luis

We know the situation in Darfur is horrible.

Put flowers and hugs are not going to drive away the violence. It's going to take much more than Aid to save Darfur, it's going to take a big outside nation to take care of the problems with weapons power.

But since the liberals are so against wars, guns, weapons i don't know if it's going to be possible.

March 5, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  6. Cindy

If you look around the net it seems a lot of people hated that George Clooney was on 360 last night. I don't care for celebs but I gave him the benefit of the doubt before I decided if I was going to stone him or not! LOL

Actually I don't care to hear what celebs think or what charitable thing they are doing. Most of them have no clue at what they are talking about and only do things with the cameras rolling for publicity. If there is no one around or no cameras they wouldn't waste their time.

But there are a very few that do know what they are talking about. I think Clooney fits into that roll. He does seem to care what goes on in Darfur and doesn't make his every move there a publicity stunt. I just hope that the arrest warrant for the Sudanese president doesn't make things way worse for Darfur. Unfortunately I think it will! I don't see what good George can do for them but hey..any publicity is good publicity for the people there. Hopefully something good will come out of this.

Cindy..Ga.

March 5, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  7. Pamina

Thanks for the interview. It's good to know that someone is keeping this on the radar. We should not forget the people in Darfur and their suffering.

March 5, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

If more actors using their fame to humanitarian causes and was an active voice to end violence in Darfur, or anywhere in the world, the art of living is much higher.

George Clooney is a messenger of peace, and that is great!

March 5, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  9. Lilibeth

Though it is only a warrant at this point, not an arrest, I remain hopeful that justice will prevail and al-Bashir will be actually arrested and tried at some point. It is utterly unacceptable that the atrocities in Darfur are allowed to go on. It is discouraging to hear from Clooney that the U.S. or U.N. may not be able to remove al-Bashir, but for goodness sake, something has to be done. We shouldn’t be focusing on what we can’t do, but rather, what we can do. For the people who have been suffering forever, something needs to happen, something needs to change. As soon as possible. NOW.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 5, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  10. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I hope schmoozing up to the president works. Anything to get help for Darfur on their radars for real. In WWII it took too long for millions before we defeated Nazi Germany. Today, it seems it is taking longer. I don't understand why these people in Darfur are any less worthy of hope and help than any others in our history. I believe we will have to answer for how we treat our fellow humans no matter where they are. There is enough to go around in this world. Maybe this administration will get it before the atrocities grow larger and more lives are needlessly destroyed and/or lost.

March 5, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

Good interview - would like to see you do more of these stories in the future. The other "news" programs are covering the day to day gloom and doom and political bickering - What I really enjoy about 360 is the unique blend of stories, such at this interview with George Clooney about what's going on in Darfur -

What's so sad is that the government of Sudan has expelled 10 foreign aid groups (including Doctors Without Borders, CARE International and Oxfam) which bring much needed food, water and medical care to millions of displaced people in the region - leaving millions more to die - keep bringing these stories to our attention.

Keep up the good work, Anderson.

March 5, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  12. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson!

The interview was very well done and interesting!
    Congratulations!

It is very interesting to see the artists involved in these causes. It’s nice to see their work as activists.

This side (noble) should be more shown that personal life, the scandals, the gossip or other things bizarre!

You are great in that aspect!
    Again, congratulations!