March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Claudia

Good story about Darfur, I hope we can hear more about this and how we all can help.

Btw, it was nice to receive the topic for today's show in my news feed in facebook...!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

If the Obama's are looking for more people to mingle with at the White House – I am available. Please call.

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Dodie from CA

Good night everyone... have a wonderful evening

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Geoff

Goodnight all!

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Lori from IL

I like that the Obama's are opening up the White House - it's fun to watch -

Good night fellow bloggers - looking forward to another "lively" chat tomorrow night.

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good night everybody!

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Michelle

The Obamas are such a cool couple.

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson!

Good night, Casey, David (Indiana), Megan, Esma, Betty Ann, Brandi, Rikki, Vanessa, ...

Good rest for everyone!

See you tomorrow! Bye ...

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Glen Up North

Well, it's time. Evening Anderson, Erica, David G, CNN, and all you bloggers out there... And remember, Teriyaki Chicken McNuggets for everyone! 😉

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  10. William G Charlotte, NC

Hi Anderson,In my humble opinion, given the original statement that Rush made, hoping that President Obama fails, at the very least, makes Rush a traitor. I want us to succeed and this requires our President and our country to succeed. Rush, stupid, it is not about politics any longer...it is about our very survival.

Have a good evening all.

WRG

March 4, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Dodie from CA

Mrs. Obama is such a personable woman. Glad to have her first lady!

March 4, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson!
    Good rest ... you deserve!

Today was nice, although Nadya and Limbaugh. 🙂
    See you tomorrow! Bye ...

March 4, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Cessy, Chicago

a swing set? give the girls a dog!

goodnight, everyone! be safe!

March 4, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Mike in Vancouver

Paul Begala is so right. Rush Limbaugh is good for the democratic party. Limbaugh truly represents all that is wrong with the conservative right. His rhetoric is so outrageous, he might as well be wearing a sign on his back saying "Vote Democrat".

March 4, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  15. Gregg

How come I never had a swing set that was that cool when I was a kid? My swing set was some pieces of metal bars with a couple of swings on it. Oh yeah...my Dad was never the President. LOL

March 4, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Bea, BettyAnn, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Patti, Casey Sean, Soldier in IRAQ and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! :

nice swings!!!!! I love swings!!!!! I love this!!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

March 4, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Jonathan Wilson

Amazing we are at war in two countries and our Commander in chief parties every night.

March 4, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Well, thanks for an interesting evening all. I again tip my hat to Cooper, Hill, and all the incredible hard workers here at AC360.

Stay safe and I'll see you all Thursday night!

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Maren in Oregon

Oh, wow. Like every other Americ an backyard! That is so cool. My neighbors set isn't THAT big, but it's very similar. Good for them. America's First FAMILY!

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – I thought you were gonna show us a cute puppy and instead we get a shot of the White House swing set. Oh, well.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Happy the Obama girls got a swing set:)

GoodNight All! See u tomorrow.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Bridget, TX

Listening to George and watching the clips of people who wakes up everyday to suffering with no signs of a better life, it makes me reflect on our life and all we have to be thankful for. We are complaining about a new president not solving all our problems in six weeks, when these people dream for the smallest of necessity.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Gary

On the woman who called 911 three times about her order at McDonalds, what the police seemed to have missed is that she was essentially claiming that a theft had occurred because the store refused to refund her money. It may have been a petty theft, but a theft nevertheless. She was asking for police intervention to correct a misdemeanor crime, rather than taking matters into her own hands. I think they should have ordered the manager on duty to refund the money or face arrest. The fact that McDonalds ultimately did refund the money and give her a free order of chicken pieces is an indication that they knew they were wrong.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  24. lynn

As the remortagae program sets in other lenders will more than likely start to do the same thing. I don't know why people who have high interest rates but are keeping up with their payments aren't contacting their lender.

I had no problem remortgaging at the lower rate even though my term wasn't up...of course I stay away from huge companies of any sort and bank with a credit union.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Renee Staples

I love Begala and Carville !!! and next time they get ready to mess with Limbaugh-- I would sure like to help !!! Fine job fellas !!! Keep up the good work !!

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Esma

I call dibs on the swings!!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  27. ryan j

CYA, have to go to work in the morning.

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

Forget McNugget reform... bring back the Teriyaki sauce they had back in 1988! 😉

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

We've gone from McNuggets to Darfur and genocide in one fell swoop. I don't know if I fell enlightened or just plain guilty.

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Maria, Idaho

Rob Evans- I agree with you. My father was laid off will soon loose his home & may live in his truck, same with my sister laid off & is feeling the pressure! They feel no relief. I am uneasy about this housing bill.

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  31. James

Anderson, don't worry about Yolanda. It's nice to see some fair balance from CNN. And you are right about Demo strategy. It's an attempt to turn people away from the Republican party and as one blogger said, divert our attention from the controversies surrounding many of their recent proposals.

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Wow, that was a quick interview with G. Clooney! Guess it was more important to spend time tonight discussing R. Limbaugh and Octomom than Darfur.....

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  33. Sean in Dallas

Ericka,
    The housing plan is a good first step but it won't be enough. Many hard-working, honest people fell victim to predatory lending. They were given great rates and were told not to worry about when the rate adjusts because "By then your house will be worth so much more. You'll be able to refinance." Well, guess what? Their house went down in value so people owed more than their house was worth. Folks who were paying a $800 /month mortgage saw it go up to $1500/month. The brokers/agents walked away with plenty of commission and good people began losing their homes. Those folks deserve a break too!

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  34. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Two 911 calls giving me opposite reaction. The chicken Mcnuggets was funny and amusing. Octoplet mom reminds me why the kids should be under Social Services' scrutiny and the mom should be in proper psyche eval. And no, I don't mean under Dr. Phil, tyvm! For the record, I condone abuse of 911 calls since a life can be lost in those precious minutes.

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  35. Vanessa, TX

Goodnight Anderson..VERY good conversation...I loved your George Clooney interview..:)
    Goodnight Erica, AC 260 crew, my tweeter smartees

Have a very good sleep to all

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  36. Rafael

That McDonald's story got me and my friends laughing.

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  37. Dodie from CA

@ Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

I think the dog is for April!

March 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  38. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

I am glad to see Clooney interested in what is going in many developing countries. It serves as something that people in the United States and other developed countries can look up to.

March 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  39. Stacy

Thank you for the Clooney interview. The situation in Darfur needs all the light it can get.

March 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Maureen T, Canada

Andy,
    Great to see George Clooney in a different light. Much respect for Mr. Clooney!

March 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  41. Isabel, Brazil

Recovery shows the volatility of stock exchanges

See how the market is: just the news that China should announce a new economic stimulus plan tomorrow and stock exchanges around the world rise sharply.

March 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  42. Dodie from CA

Ah Anderson... are you talking about the kids jungle-gym??? nicely placed to the president can see them from his window

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  43. stuart

how can the president host a PARTY when the economic world is depressed?

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  44. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Good evening all! Mr. Begala is simply adorable tonight. It would be very hard to believe his ear to ear brilliant smile when talking about Rush! Such love.... and again, do we really have to talk about Rush every night?

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. Jeff D

Hi Erica!

Let the housing market fail....then let people buy into the foreclosed homes at lower prices...and start over with better equity in those houses.

That is what I am waiting for.

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love how the Obamas entertain.

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Maureen, Georgia

@ Robb Evans, Sorry to hear about your dilemma I certainly hope you get some help soon in form of a job etc. you certainly need a bailout.

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Lauren--NY

George Clooney is a wonderful artist and humanitarian; thanks for doing that interview, and great job, Anderson.

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  49. Laney from CA

George Clooney would make a decent politician.
    Don't think the pay grade would fit his purse and coffers though. 😦

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. Gisele

Isn't airing the 911 call by the octoplets mom invading her privacy? She was quite worried about her child. I find the entire coverage of that person beyond belief and bordering on harassment. She's a human being and like it or not, she's a mother of 14 children whom she loves. A little bit of compassion would be much better than all this verbal abuse and hounding.

March 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |