March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sam M., Ewa Beach, HI

I thought Clooney's blog was excellent. A very good perspective. A very sad story.

March 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. carolyn cee yah

george is a hot activist.

March 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Paul Leland

With two stories on 911 calls – will people think twice before calling 911 as the call might just be used years later. Nadya Suleman is not a murder suspect. If you call 911 do you give up all rights to privacy?

March 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Dodie from CA

Really nice to hear George Clooney an activist in Defur and bringing the issues to the forefront for the world to see...

March 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Penny

The fact that Rush Limbaugh has such a large following is a hint as to why our country is in the mess it's in right now. If he is the voice of the GOP, they are indeed desperate. I'm glad I left the GOP. They are a party lost in the dark ages.

March 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Sabrina

Love me some Clooney! Great work in bringing light to this very sad story.

March 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thank you for doing a story on Darfur. We really need to continue to be reminded of this crisis. We so often move on with our lives and forget what's going on around the world. Nothing is going to change if we forget.

March 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Lori from IL

Anderson - Thank you for ending the show witth George Clooney (I'll be having pleasant dreams).

Interesting show tonight -

March 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Dave

Anderson,

Your show's comment on earmarks making light of pig odor research in Iowa struck a nerve. Your porkchops are produced in hog factories where thousands of porkers are confined and producing more waste each day than a small city. All that manure is spread on rural courntrysides and stinks to high heaven. We are sick (sometimes literally) of the stench – it's no joke to us!

Dave

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Clint from ID

No earmarks? Transparency? Pulling out of Iraq? Sounds like people should worry less about who they think is running the minority party, and concentrate on whether they are being told the truth from the people actually spending our money.

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Isabel, Brazil

George Clooney is great!

is beautiful what he is doing ...

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Thank you for all your efforts in Darfur, Mr. Clooney!

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Anderson, was that the right video clip of the President's comments on his mortgage relief plans? Was that supposed to be the President's comments from this morning instead of clip from his address to the joint session of congress?

A 730,000 house is quite expensive. I know I've been hearing about the mortgage crisis for almost two years, but are there a lot of mortgages for that amount that need to be modified? If there are the mortgage crisis is even worse than I thought, and I thought it was pretty bad.

Even mothers with one or two children can have moments like that one Nadia Suleman had. I hope she's getting the help she needs to raise those children, and to keep herself all right.

Thank God the markets went up today.

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Lauren--NY

911 dispatchers are incredible people. I have no idea how they do their jobs every day but they do not get enough recognition...they have to talk to so many different kinds of people, deal with idiots like that lady, and deal with panicked people in horrible situations. They're just amazing public servants.

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Esma

Why no charge of genocide?!?! That's what's been going on!

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson, you think that running out of chicken mcnuggets is funny...i was at Mcdonald's ( inside a mall ) recently and ordered a plain hamburger. only to be told that they ran out of meat patties...

March 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Nancy

Hi Everyone:
    Maybe Rush, the McNuggets lady, Octomom, and Paul Begala could meet at McDonald's for dinner and the rest of us could move on!

Thanks for updates on Barbara Bush – a great lady!

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. kim-chicago

The Obama girls are a breath of fresh air in the midst of all this depressing news.

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. lara

i really also would like anderson and erica to break down the housing plan, i find it still a bit confusing to understand it.

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Sharon E Fisher

I can't believe politicians can defend pork barrel politics. It's an outrageous waste of money. What's even worse is that the amount of money tagged for some of the pork is ridiculous; for example – the pig odour study costing in the millions of dollars – NO WAY would it cost that amount, AND what a ridiculous study anyway. Come on, you Americans, get off your butts and scream bloody murder about this kind of waste!!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Patrick

If the housing bill applied to more people than only current paying, fannie and freddie-backed borrowers, it would be blasted as big-spending 'wealth redistribution'

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Yay justice for Darfur...long time awaiting

March 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Maureen, Georgia

Octomom sounds very unbalanced, she needs to be in a psychiatric unit. I don't see how they can release those babies to her.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Brian Quigley

This talk about pork spending and politics in general reminds me of a junior, not even senior, kindegarten class. There is always someone looking for the newest crayon, the one with the sharpest end, the one with all the paper still on it. In this case both parties are snatching the crayons and the one who doesn't get it first complains that there are just too many.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

With housing prices still dropping, I'm waiting for another reduction in my property tax bill! My county did it automatically last year–I didn't even have to apply for a revaluation.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

Funny how the Republicans could get every Republican to vote No against our President, however, they can not get every Republican to refrain fro putting through Earmarks. How many that submitted Earmarks are complaining? I swear, if they would just look in the mirror, they would shut the heck up.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Jacqui Chan

a lotta new peops on the blog 2nite cool!

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Jim from MI

Rush is the voice of conservatism. The Republican party is a large "tent" and includes conservatives as well as moderates. (Yes there are moderate Republicans!). It's amazing that the White House chief of staff would plot with Begala to target Rush! Don't they have more important things to do?

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Steve - American in Canada

Paul hit it out of the park is right. To bad is was left of the foul pole down the thrid base line.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Dulcie - Denver

I like Paul Begala, but I definitely think he was evasive in his answer. On the other hand, if it's a conspiracy, well, the Republicans have had their fair share.

In the end, I think it's disingenuous of the Republicans to be crying foul now. They've done their share.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Kelli, San Francisco

AC – McDonalds is a franchise company and everyone restaurant has it's own policies. The fact that McD's Corporate stepped in was a PR move. I'm sure they followed up with the franchise owner of that particular franchise store.

March 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Katie, FL

That manager is probably saving that woman, who knows what's really in those Mcnuggets

March 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Floor crews, Panel members and all bloggers. Had a good Wednesday everyone?

Hope Mrs.Bush is o.k. and get better, soon. My preyer goes out to her.

Get a portion of conversation about Rush Limburg, I don't get why people pay a lot of attention to what he said. But maybe that is because I just know who he is from this news.

We do not seem to be able to get away from octomom, do we? And the 911 call still makes me laugh.

March 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Christine

I have a question about the the government's mortgage rescue plan. If a borrower refinances under this plan is/he still subject to the lender's standard fees for refinancing? Or, is there some provision to waive fees associated with refinancing to make participating in this program as affordable as possible? Thanks.

March 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Bruce CT

Anderson

Unfortunately, Mr. Obama is in a box with the budget extension. If he approves it, all will go after him for the earmarks/pork.

If he does not sign the the extension there will be a potential govt shut down or a rep /dem objection to his further programs.

He must veto the extension. A tough call, but he has to show everyone he is the leader, with credability and transparency.

36. Esma

That whole situation was McRidiculous!!! Get the manager, not 911 you doofus!

37. Sharon S

Erica, loved the Mcnugget story! Too funny!
    I'm glad she is getting her Mcnuggets, I am too a mcnugget fan!

38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love McDonald's and love Mcnuggets...... They are my favorite food!

39. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Gotta love McDonald's. Talk about stooping to any low for PR. 🙂

40. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

George Clooney is just WONDERFUL, isn't he?!

41. Bridget, TX

The McNugget story is so ridiculous, but it's more interesting than the Rush, Otomom and the Obama bashing, so I'll take it.

42. Georgia Garrison

Even, way back when I was a Republican, I disliked Mr. Limbaugh and found him to be coarse, rude and extremely egotistical. I believe he is head of the Republicans, because he represents "Love Yourself First." Sad but true. Right on Paul Begala!!

43. Maureen, Georgia

Sounds like Pres. Obama is caught between a rock & a hard place with these earmarks, but in this time of crisis he has to do something & when things start to settle down, I'm hoping he'll really crack down on those earmark spending.

44. Sallye

I recall Pres. Obama saying he would reform/limit earmarks. I don't think he's backing down on a promise. Could you please document Pres. Obama's statement that he would eliminate earmarks?

45. Emma

OK, Suleman couldn't keep up with her kids when she only had six....how is she going to handle the 14 she now has?

46. EJ (USA)

I love how Anderson was so tickled by McDonald's response. Cute.

47. Anthonia-California

whooo! she got her mcnuggets!

48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Take off your gloves and call for McNugget reform Cooper!

49. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Did they get a dog?

50. Josh, from Canada

haha let the mcdonalds story go!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10