March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle

Why didn't McDonalds do that in the 1st place.

March 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, you're a bit overly excited about the McDonald's response!

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Kevin in Michigan

RE: Octomom 911: They will use that tape when child protective services go to court to take custody of her 14 children.

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Julie

Begala never said he didn't talk with them. Good job Anderson!

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Steve

Go McNuggets !

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Yes, a refund for the McDonalds lady. I luv my nuggets too.lol

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Joan from Virginia.

Anderson, I don't believe Begala! joan, virginia

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Kyle Harms from Canada

in response to Erica Hills Question:
    I think that the governments 'hiccup' the first time around in trying to announce this was resolved today...the plan may not be perfect, it will not be flawless but lets be honest is any plan ever pefrect? No, every plan has something that looking back we ask, why? our vision tomorrow of what we should have done today will always be 20/20...In regards to the plan not being perfect I think the markets showed today this plan is better than no plan. as for the americans who will not be helped by this plan I do feel for them and I am sure in the future we can expect more info from the givt on who this plan will specifically help. also a big hello from Canada to both you erica and Anderson...love your show and i never miss it (when i do i record it) you guys are kick butt

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Sherald - Denver

How are earmarks that Bush threatened to veto last year, and put on Obama's plate, now still Bush's problem?? They are still earmarks and Obama could just veto the bill and tell congress to come back with something reasonable.

March 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Dodie from CA

Nadya certainly loves drama!!! now what will she do with keeping tabs on 14 children! good grief!

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Miriam C

I wish we can really look at things better !!!!
    Can we make 700 sq.ft (+200 sq.ft for 4 feet spacing around the house for emergency exit) as free for everyone. Anything above 5000 sq.ft should be charged higher. Between 901 to 4999 sq.ft can be a resonable amount. I dont think it is right to ask the builder to sacrifice the cost and to reduce the food from his mouth. Anyway the rich are going to build bigger homes and soon to report for "depression" !!!! This might put a stop on the size of our homes !!!
    Now, having said that – ONCE THERE IS NO JOB HOW ON EARTH CAN I BE CURRENT WITH MY PAYMENT, TOM? You please explain that line !@$$% Either we say, 6 months security deposit instead of down-payment. We can use this amount for loss of job/switching of job/moving due to spouse change of job – basically for loss of job. Or, we should somehow encourage the person to take from 401 and do the payment. The problem is not the smaller homes, the problem is when a person making a good salary and gets laidoff it becomes very difficult to find a job that pays the same or highter. The homes you showed are all around 400K+...which means, that person should be getting a salary of 150K per annum. He/she should get a job in the same salary range which will delay the process.
    I wish before we 'evict' a person from their homes and depriving them of their homes and all their collections, I hope we can help them get a job. Something that mandates a person who doesnt have a job for 3 months and failed to pay for foreclosure, I am sure the eviction team works with unemployment office and somehow make them to start a job immediately. It makes no sense to ask a person who has no income to pay for home payment !!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Ron

I was surprised at how restricted it is. I thought it would be open to all lenders.

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Isabel, Brazil

That woman really needs help!
    Poor thing! She is crazy!

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love George Clooney, He is best actor and help people in Daufar.... he is amazing actor!

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Lani

What is the big deal with earmarks? We all need to just let that go for now. Next time people, we already boiling the ocean.

March 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. cArrie ann

Rush is entitled to his own opinions whether they are right or wrong, the thing that bothers me is why is someone in the white house even commenting on it, aren't there more important things to worry about. If they have that much free time to go after him maybe their jobs are not that important and should be done away with, think of the money it would save the tax payers.

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Dodie from CA

Glad to hear of the demonstration. This is a "free" country...

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Sharon S

I am going to send an email to the white house I am disgusted with this bailout for homeowners! I don't get it! It is just a big lie nothing to help real people who really bought within their means!

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

@missy: "my house value has gone up since I bought it 3 years ago "

It was all those home buyers now in foreclosure who drove the value of your home up...

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. KarenT

The Republicans have 50% of the dollar amount in earmarks yet only represent 40% of Congress.

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Bridget, TX

If the earmarks are really as small as these guys say, why are we whining about a bill that's less than 5% of the bill. We really, need to get our prioritize in order.

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Sean, Soldier in IRAQ

Wow, I have an great idea. Lets put the senate, congress, and all those chosen leaders on a minimum wage budget. PERIOD. And let the vacant seats go to middle class workers!

March 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Vanessa, TX

@Erica..alot of people though that this money will help everyone, even the ones that lost their homes cuz they didn't pay for a while..but in POTUS defense, he did say who it was gonna help

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Glen Up North

He hates a guy because he is for small government, low taxes and limited government incursion into our lives.

Well, let's read between the lines here. Limited government incursion into our lives means: a) those who are living the "great life" avoid getting annoyed by regulations, b) low taxes only benefit those who actually _pay_ taxes, and c) small government is least likely to inconvenience those who have more than enough for themselves (and have figured out ways to get even more). In other words, those who aren't living the "great life" would continue to be without, and those "with" would get even more. Wow, what a concept.

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. CLYDE

I don't have a problem with all "earmarks," as long as they benefit a community with jobs and a significant contribution to the quality of life.

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Dodie from CA

I would like to see the 'ear marks' outlawed. I am tired of paying for all this excess. I would like to see new jobs, decrease in interest rates...

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Robb Evans

Pork, Bailouts, AIG, mortgage assurance – Now means little to me as I have no job, no home, ready to sell my laptop and living in my SUV. Short of becoming part of the next homeless generation, who assists me?

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

Mortgage in day!??

Excuse me who is late with their mortgage or about to lose the house, but experts from the Anderson Cooper Show, answer me:

And those who are almost dead, but still are up to date with their mortgages. They will also help?

These people will have incentives to pay the mortgage?
    Or, we can say, to roughly, they made a bad business in honor their commitments even if with sacrifice?

March 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Pat, Canada

Your housing plan does nothing to help anyone who has missed just one payment and needs help, and others have to have their loans covered by Fannie or Freddie only. Just what happens to those who are indeed struggling?

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. susannah

This financial crisis has caused the American public to come to a painful maturation process called being an adult.
    This continued soap operaic atempt by Paul Begalia and his cohorts
    to distract Americans from the monumental issues at hand is a pathetic revisition to the end days of the Clinton administration.

these tatics are as outdated as these retreaded commentators and the new secretary of state.

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

They sound reasonable, despite all the whining of those saying they aren't fair. What gets me is that whining...

I mean, foreclosure signs on your block affect your house's value, don't they get that? And it was all those "irresponsible home buyers" who drove the value of those houses up in the first place.

Didn't hear much whining about that...

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Maren in Oregon

Is it worth pointing out that about half the earmarks are Republican?

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. pat

As far as I can tell, there is NO housing plan. Nothing I can see in the plan will get the housing market moving. Great that first time homebuyers get a credit..but many of them have little credit history and will have hard time getting loans. We've spent money on a ton of things instead of working on the real issues: the housing market.

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Michael in Connecticut

By the way, Anderson... kudos to you for actually pressing Begala on this.

You could have gone after him more (it is crystal clear he is embarrassed that this is public now, and avoided your questions), but at least you didn't give him a pass simply because you have the same boss.

This was a really stupid move that is now tied to the White House as a partner.

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Cassie- Is that what the surprise was? A swing? I thought it was going to be the dog!

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Joan

Lets get on with it CNN. We're sick of all this stuff about Rush.

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Mike Syracuse, NY

I hope Obama's comments about forcing competitive bid contracts applies to all the money being poured out for the stimulus.

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Sharon S

Freddie and Fannie were only for low income home buyers to begin with and they of all people should have known NOT to give out these adjustable loans but they did it anyway!

Now we are paying for all their msitakes! Sick it makes me sick!

I thought they were being investigated anyway what happened to that? Now freddie and fannie are back with their hands out for their low income families who can't afford a home but they are trying to make us pay for them to have one?

March 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Patrick

You are right Anderson, I dont want to hear about rush. I dont want to know about rush. my life is going down the sink please I dont want to hear negative people. I just want to know how President Obama is going to help all of us.

I love your show, dont make me hear about rush tomorrow and friday. please. I dont want to change my channel.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Candy in California

It saddens me that Rush Limbaugh gets so much coverage. He is an embarrasment to American intelligence and integrity.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Isabel, Brazil

Scientists discover that gray hair is caused by the large accumulation of hydrogen peroxide due to wear of the follicle, which blocks the natural pigmentation of hair.

It is not just the blondes who change the color of the hair with hydrogen peroxide!

Anderson,
    In most people, I do not like gray hair, but you is remarkable.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Erica,

The details on the housing plan sounds good but I am sure that people are going to find a way to work around it.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Gregg

Unfortunately as far as the housing plan goes, I do not think it goes far enough. I am not behind in my payments, but here in California, the price of housing has falling so far, that I do not think I am at the correct percentage of being "upside down" in order to qualify. More drastic measures are needed.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Brian in Alpharetta

Erica, thank you for moving the discussion to something substantive.
    Yes, so far I think the housing plan is a good move. I still don't understand how it affects people trying to buy a new home. Can you break it down, please? Thanks.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Sam

Bravo Erica, for trying to move the conversation away from Limbaugh.

March 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Tinu

The Republicans often accuses the Democrats for calling them out everytime they criticize his policies....has it ever occured to them that they are guilty of the same sin; I mean, why do they apologize everytime someone from their party calls out Rush???

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

certainly some conservatives are portraying this as a conspiracy of liberal media and the white house to target a conservative radio host.

Anderson,
    I agree with you...... It is true..... I think you're right...... too much powerful Rush L is targeting white house.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. cheryl kyle

I think rush limbaugh made this comment about president "I hope he fails" to create this reaction on purpose. He knew it would start a flurry of political reaction from both sides. He has obvioulsy helped his ratings as he had planned all along. He is the "shock jock" of the republican party now. However,his kind of verbal bullying to president Obama will only turn off the young people the gop is trying to attract.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Kerry Peay

Why do commentators insist on claiming Obama is taking on Rush he has done more in his first month than almost any other president, Begala, and Craville are doing a great job of telling the truth about Rush and the Republicans and they do not work for him! Rahm and Gibbbs respond to questions like they are supposed to.
    Kerry-NC

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. pandora argue

Enough about Rush Limbaugh! He has, and continues to be incredibly damaging to the Republican Party. I hold him largely responsible for turning my Party into something I can hardly recognise anymore.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |