March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish Barbara Bush well recovery.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Patches & Shelby

I do not believe anyone can trap a loudmouth like Rush Limbaugh. I thought, Oh my gosh, we have another Sarah Palin, "Let me make ugly comments but no one else can say anything about me". Get real, this is America. If he speaks, others can speak.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Emma

I have a problem with #3. Shouldn't we make mortgages affordable for everyone?

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Renee

Let's not forget that Rush is the one who started the controversary. He chose his enemy first. He said he wanted the President to fail. Therefore, he wants the country to fail. Everyone needs to quit trying to shift the blame to the Democrats all of the sudden. It doesn't add up.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Tony L. - Atlanta

Yeah, I knew the housing requirements would not help a lot of people and that is my biggest criticism of it. But I hope it is enough to do what it is design to do and that is stabilize the housing market.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. levi

Rush is a run away train waiting to crash. And the crash could come as early as two years from now.

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Dodie from CA

Erica Hill!

I really like the criteria. It keeps out the – fat cats along with those who purchased irresponsibility.

I, myself, will re-finance since my loan was during the high period of interest rates. Thank goodness I qualify. I don't need the bail out

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Cessy, Chicago

hahahhaa...

Octuplet mom saying " help me, I'm going crazy"...She finally admitted it 😉

March 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Fay - California

I can't believe that the whole Rush Limbaugh story is being attributed to the actions of Democrats – Rush doesn't need any assistance from the Dems to be controversial and offensive, he does that daily on his own.

10. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Well, Suleman has 14 kids, and only two hands. There is no way she is going to be able to take care of all of them.

11. mari, MA

i can hardly wait to see the piggy! what's that?

12. Maria

I hope she catched her son

13. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Erica. Yes the housing plan criteria is what I expected. This doesn't effect me though, i'm in college, and my parents rent.

14. Isabel, Brazil

Does she lost a son?

Home alone – number 14!

15. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Erica- Considering I do not own a house, the housing plan situation won't really affect me, but I was discussing it with my mom today and she said that she seems pleased with it. (We are a middle-class family)

16. Jacqui Chan

okay, I am not a conservative or republican but if I were I would want an intellegent (not saying that Limbaugh is unintellegent) calm, sensitive (remember what Rush said about Michael J. Fox) and logical man or woman to be the spokesperson of my party. Few young people will be drawn toward a party with loud,angry & crude people like this representing.

17. gill - north of 49

hahaha – Love your server load error message 360 crew! – Go Matt Go !

18. stuart

paul b. doesn't really think that people want to become dems after they listening to Rush. after listening to paul i want to change the channel.

19. Matthew L

I like hearing about Rush because he is representing the people's voices that the Democrats are trying to cover up. Yeah they should be worried about what Rush has to say because the more people hear the more they will want the Democrats out of the White House. He makes sense and that's why the Dems keep trying to down play him because they are afraid! If people understand what the Dems are doing then when it blows up on them they won't be able to cover it up.

20. Rich L

Isn't it proper to refer to the president as "President Barack Obama"?
    It disturbs me as disrecpctful when Anderson Cooper durng his national program lets CNN commentators refer to him as Barack Obama or just Obama.

21. Roger, Iowa

If Limbaugh wants to debate President Obama; he needs to run for public office. We all know that won’t happen or maybe with his lack of education and common sense coupled with his political party just might make it for him.

22. Esma

While both parts of this plan sound fine, are there going to be other plans for those who were left out, or is this it?

March 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. reggie

I am so sick of hearing about Rush, and now there is a so called conspiracy, being lead by the White House! Give me a break.

March 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Cindy M

Anderson, you were great with Begala. He's in on this and it was hilarious that he wouldn't give you a straight answer. No matter what you think of Rush, this will expand his base listeners and when he starts hammering out the lies Obama told during his campaign, ie. no earmarks, this situation will turn on the Dems. Go Rush!

March 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  25. david stlouis

I have been a republican for 30 years. I find Rush limbaugh to be very offensive and ugly. I will never vote for anyone that condones his hateful talk. I also won't vote for anyone that hasn't the guts to enounce it. I am no longer proud to be a republican. If things don't change soon i will change parties

March 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Vanessa – Yeah, but the issue is Paul's reluctance to discuss it. Makes the whole thing seem a little suspicious.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Karl G

The endless ranting about Rush is a complete waste of time. Rush started the issue with the amazing comment about hoping for Obama to fail. All else followed from that. If the White House wants to not ignore the genuflecting of the Republican Party to a demagogue that makes perfect sense.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. lynn

Anderson: Is it really anyone's business what people talk to each other about?? Don't you think Bush had daily conversations with Republican strategists? Maybe you should have Karl Rove on and ask him about his conversations with the president.

Begula wasn't avoiding you questions...it wasn't really relevant or anyone's business!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Sherry

Listening to Rush Limbaugh for entertainment? Only if you consider having dental work without Novocain "entertaining".

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Bill

Good job, Anderson. Mr. Begala clearly didn't want to say that the fight with Limbaugh was coordinated with the White House.

Um...who cares? Is there something wrong with anything anybody said? Begala keeps saying that Limbaugh is the de facto leader of the Republican Party. Nobody on the Right wants to denigrate Rush by disagreeing with that. Michael Steele sort of said it, and was forced to apologize. Limbaugh received multiple standing ovations at CPAC. Limbaugh was never quoted out of context. He has had multiple opportunities to clarify his statement about wanting the administration to fail, and all he does is keep repeating it. So the story is that Begala and Carville and Emmanuel may have cooked up this whole thing? Well, who's forcing Limbaugh to keep repeating his talking point? Who's forcing Michael Steele to apologize to Rush? It certainly isn't any Democrat.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Sharon S

No why not let them get a REAL loan from a REAL bank and get rid of these crooks and Fannie and Freddie once and for all!

Who gets adjustable rate loans WHO??? Stupid people that is who!

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Dodie from CA

Very nice to hear something that will help the average Americans

WOW 5 million people

I like the idea of prime residence ... to keep out of the fat cats hands

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Joe

Stop!!! I don't want to hear about Rush Limbaugh. I choose not to listen to him, if you continue to focus all your stories on him I'll find another show.

I want to hear about the budget. I was for the stimulus, I think the housing plan is good. However, the budget is too big and we need to stop the pork! This is not what us independents voted for. We need a managable budget, with no pork and incentives for business investment. Business decisions are being made on whether to make the business downsizing pemanent due to excess capacities. We need congress to change this direction and make a stand against pork and make tough decisions.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Amy

I'm a republican, but want to see Obama succeed. I remember when Rush said he wanted Obama to fail and was completely taken back. Not a great mind-set for an American.
    HOWEVER, he is a radio talk show host. He is paid to talk. He is paid to make outlandish remarks.

I'm worried as to why the Obama administration feels that he is such a threat. Let's stop pointing fingers at Talk Show Hosts – and focus on the issues at hand. The Economy.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  35. ericacnn

I know we were all looking for these details on the housing plan when it was first announced – are the criteria what many of you expected?

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Ron

Rush is just an entertainer. Any attention he can muster is just cash in his pocket. That's one reason he would like to see Pres. Obama fail. He's has plenty of cash in his pocket.

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Charlie A

Sure the Rush thing is a democratic political strategy, but republicans are trying to win an election in four years right now, instead of offering solutions, and so now the democrats have politically cornered them. It seems only fair

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Yolanda

Oh my goodness Anderson – I have just lost total respect for you. I have always thought of you has an incredible journalist who was fair and someone who always made sense. This mess of "strategy" with Rush is absolutely non-sense. It's amazing to me that Rush can spread his negative and outrageous vibe and no one stands up to him; now, you're saying that the Democrats have a "strategy" and out to get Rush. Are you serious! Are you scared of him too! This is absolutely rediculous – I have always respected you and CNN even when I disagreed; but you and CNN have crossed the line here. Would someone please stand up to RUSH! Why is everyone kissing his tail? Does he have video on you too:?

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Sharon E Fisher

Why give Rush Limbaugh a minute more of air time? I view him as a blowhard who likes to stir up controversy. If he's the strongest person in the republican party, the party is in a sad state.

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  40. sharon in md

Nicole like the rest of the repubs offer no solutions only the same old rhetoric. When will they for once except the blame for the state of affairs our country is in?

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I don't know how I feel about the refinance....the people who just lost their jobs are losing the shirts off their backs. I hope Pres. Obama gives them relief soon too. We can't have an end-all bill/package, but they deserve assistance as well.

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Sharon S

Ok I don't like that fact it has to be loaned out by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac? WTF? WHY Only those two lenders? They were a big reason we are in this mess!

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. missy

Doesn't sound like people like me qualify for this refi – I bought within my means but don't have trouble paying my mortgage and my house value has gone up since I bought it 3 years ago – so I have to help bail out everyone else, I guess.

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Brigitte

Where was Limbaugh all this times??? He should of been the VP for John Mc..???? I forgot his name already. The Republican Party is so confused...

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Luis in Phoenix

If Rush Limbaugh wants to debate the President of the United Sates, he should run in 2012, win the Republican nomination, and he will be assured at least one debate prior to the national election.

March 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Mary

I totally agree with Paul tonight. I was a Republican until I was forced to hear Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin at work. Due to their hostility and anger on their shows, I would never want to be associated with that. Thanks for making me and others that I know want to be Democrats!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Ian H.

Paul hit it outa the park!

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Michael

I believe that Rush Limbaugh is more toxic for the GOP then anything else. Just because your a republican it doesn't mean you agree with everything that the right wing does, b/c Mr. Limbaugh is very popular and has a large voice he tends to paint the entire GOP as crazy conservatives.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. hector hernandez

As a Republican I find Rush to be an embarrassment in his method and delivery. Esp. when people say that he is 'the leader' of the RNC. On the Dem. side Begala and Carville are just as dissapointing. All 3 of them toxic assets and childish.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Mike Syracuse, NY

The bottom line on the home bailout is that banks won't be sorting out the 'good' from the 'bad' people who are in default. So bad performance will get rewarded.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |