March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emma

I have to disagree with Paul Begala. I don't like what comes out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth but it's his right to say whatever he wants and it's my right not to listen. To me, he doesn't represent the Republican party. Rush Limbaugh doesn't make me want to run over to the Democratic party.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Marcia Powell

Poor Rush Limbaugh, all those mean people picking on him. He can dish it out but he can't take it. I can't believe intelligent people are even wasting time discussing him and giving him any kind of semblence of importance.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

There are no perfect plan that would actually help only the one that are innocents. I am sure there are loopholes that people can find to take advantage of.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Maria, Idaho

Hey Anderson, first time on your blog. Just back from the gym (keeping my heart healthy). Just wanted to say I think its great the Obamas are getting a dog!! I have 2 and love them dearly. One was a rescue pet it great to give them a good home.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. don

The emhasis on rush is playing into the democrats playbook. The more focus on rush the less focus on a bill which funds the current administartions government for the next 6 months. Which tranlates to less focus on earmarks.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Dave

Anderson.. Please stop talking about Rush.. He is the most loud person I even known. If really wants a debate, let him run on 2012 and he will get his chance to get ripped off by OBAMA.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Robye

Glad Mrs. Bush received proper care and is recovering. My brother wasn't so lucky. He died 7 months ago today for a tear in his aortic valve. Doctors discoverd the problem early in the morning on 4 August, but didn't have a surgeon available to operate (as we were told). He died later that evening. He was only 43. I feel as though the hospital let him die.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Brittney Jacobs

Anderson,
    Please no more Limbaugh...its actually become boring.

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Cassie

I love the new swing set up at Washington lawn! I hope the Obama girls enjoy the deserve it!!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Lily Long

I am loving Rush vs. Begala! With so many sad, serious issues in the world today, isn't it nice to have a little comic relief every now and then?

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Tinu

I'm amazed that anyone would suggest that Rush is not the leader of the Republican party after every single leader in that party apologizes after sharing their opinion in public....c'mon guys be truthful for once!

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Stacy

@Anderson: Thank you for responding. Yes, I understand that and good on you for pressing Begala, but I still can't help wonder why this is a big story–a story that merits two segments no less. I'm sure there was some discussion about Limbaugh, but....who cares? That's what they do. As for a conspiracy, as memory serves, this whole thing ratcheted up with Michale Steele's comments, which ironically occurred on CNN. Are you telling me D.L. Hughely is part of a vast left wing conspiracy?

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Sharon S

Ok I'm ready to hear about this forclosure bailout! I am so mad and I feel very let down and just disgusted by what I have read so far!

They are rewarding bad behavior!

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Cecil Fields

If Rush wants to debate Obama let him get off his butt and run for President instead of just sitting in a radio booth throwing bombs. If he can win the GOP nomination then Obama might debate him.

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  15. gill - north of 49

Isn't the Limbaugh story a win-win for the Dem's? .... at the very least it's a "Wag the Dog" win for the White House – which can benefit from some relief with all the hits they're taking on the economy.

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Jim from Elk Horn, IA

If nothing else, Rush inspires debate. That is a good thing, no matter whether you agree with him or not.

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Pat, Canada

Hello all. Of course it is a political strategy and as you could see Paul was very careful with his words and wants to refute it. Watching him and James on CNN all the time, neither one of them can appear without dragging Rush into every conversation.

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Maureen, Georgia

Rush Limbaugh enjoys all this attention. The democrats don't have to target Rush, he says enough trash & the news networks makes everything he says part of the news.

March 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. carol porter

You are on the right track Anderson! That's why I love watching you. I do not believe Paul Begala.

March 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Rachael,Va

Wish Rush would just be quiet and let Pres Obama work. He just started.
    Rush doesn't watch what he say he might bit off more than he can chew and he going to kill his reputation.

March 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like Paul Begala, he have great comment I heard!!!! I agree with him!

March 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Marcia, Warren MI

Anderson Rush has launched attacks against virtually every liberal talk show host – what goes around comes around. Just my opinioned guaranteed by the 1st amendment mind you.

March 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Andres Conde

Tonight you have proven to be a man of character and conviction to find the truth. Thank you.

Park Ridge, Illinois

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Marilyn

Someone needs to tell Rush Limbaugh that if he hasn't noticed President Obama has a whole lot of work to do and he is not going to go on his show to debate him. That would be stupping to his low level
    Marilyn from Pennsylvania

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. James Cook

Anderson, Kudus to you for pressing Begala about the "Rush Conspiracy". You were actually sounding "fair and balanced" (sorry for that term). Wow, Begala is a real creep. He hates a guy because he is for small government, low taxes and limited government incursion into our lives. Wonder what John Adams would think of Begala?

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Mark

Can we please stop talking about Rush? Seriously, CNN is becoming almost as annoying as him. He's irrelevant.

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Melissa aka TallGirl

I love Paul, but he simply can't lie to you Anderson. He should just stop trying and admit that he's had at least one conversation with somebody in the WH.

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, I think conspiracy is a bit strong. Rush is really doing this all to himself...to satisfy his attention-seeking tendencies. You seemed a bit aggravated with Mr. Begala this evening?!

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Maureen T, Canada

Let us not forget that Russ Limbaugh in a radio personality and I believe he's not much of an influence as the media is leading us to believe.

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Don

Rush Limbaugh is the new leader of the Republican Party. Rush Limbaugh started this with wanting President Obama to fail. If any Republican attempt to work with Obama Administration, Rush will reign them in.

The Republican Party is "No back bone for old men"

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Steve Hearn

Paul Belaga is answering the question by not answering AC's question. Of course he is strategizing with the White House re: Limbaugh! He's parsing his words too carefully... a la Clinton's "depends on what the definition of the word 'is' is." Obama is showing himself to be what is truly is... a big government, big spending liberal. In his inauguration speech said he would get rid of childish actions in governing... well, when will we see it.

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. sue, montreal

Yes Bush person...Thats what the democrats want-they want more people to listen to Rush & really hear the ignorant hateful talk.
    Why can't we give credit where credit is due...you have to give the democrats points on this one!

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Maren in Oregon

Good Evening Erica – wondered when you'd appear. Is Anderson having a little too much fun with the Limbaugh story?

March 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. jane MI

Rush LImbaugh...Yes it is time to move on...

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Mike

Begala and Carville surely are entitled to speak their opinion, but where's the other side? Where's RUSH?

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  36. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I don't see a problem for friends to still talk to each other everyday even if on of them is the WH Chief of Staff.

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Michelle

Anderson I hope that means you are
    going to move away form Limbaugh.

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Tracey - Boston

Anderson, everyone knows the status that Rush has.. it's common knowledge. If Paul and Rahm speak I'm sure it's not just about RL

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Limbaugh is an entertainer and he is driving his commercial success by doing all of this. It's an intersting study in marketing and FREE PR, frankly. Ultimately, he WILL unravel because of his ego. He is not a happy person.

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Sharon S

Erica you are so right a whole lot of Politickin' going on, Ha Ha!

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Kevin in Michigan

Limbaugh is reliving his glory days of the early-mid 90s

March 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Bridget, TX

Anderson, why didn't you ask Nicole if Rush was the voice for the GOP and why hasn't any GOP denounced Rush?

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Glen Up North

Hmmm... I'm just glimpsing the webcast from time to time and I've seen Anderson smile and laugh twice! Having a nice time, A?

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Anderson, et al....this is agood debate re: Rush. I think that whether he was trapped or not, is totally responsible for what he has said.

I do not believe that the President should debate him...it's nonesense.

To wish for the President to fail is unpatriotic when you think about it.
    We, as a country, are in a world of hurt and Mr. Obama has more important issues to deal with.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. nan

Hi Anderson. Did the Democrats or the Whitehouse force the GOP to make Rush the key note speaker of CPAC? I think NOT.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Marcia, Warren MI

Anderson I vote to move on from Rush.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

I don't think it's a problem. Republicans talking about conspiracies will just make them even more fringe.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Adrian

i love u Anderson ,y are u talking about Rush!

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. lavenderlilly573

PLEASE; Rush if you want to take on Pres.Obama you should have ran against him. Rush is a waste of air..........

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. shaz

One simple statement, "RL is the voice.....behind the Republican Party?" And now it's a left wing conspiracy? Wow Anderson, what a tease!! Super love Paul's "hush Rush"!

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |