March 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/04/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori Zibel NH

Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer, and I really think we should move on from Limbaugh and possibly focus on more important issues as a nation.

BTW, "I don't want to hush Rush"

Great line. great line.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Judy-TX

Hey, I like Rush. About time the Republicans got something going. I find it hard to believe after all this spending the Republicans aren't screaming "foul". What's wrong with Limbaugh stating the obvious.?He speaks for a lot of people as the polls revealed after the election. Remember half the country did not vote for Obama. The dems need to lay off of Rush. Free speech is what it is called. God bless America for sure.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Donna-Montreal

Hello everyone,

What I don't understand is why this Limbaugh person wants to debate with President Obama. The President just got in a little over a month ago and it seems like you all are getting ready for another presidential race. No wonder nothing ever gets done. Let the poor guy govern for a bit and see what happens. Certainly can't get any worse...I hope.

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Vickie_AR

Rush Limbaugh is a legend in his own mind. Who cares!

March 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Sean, Soldier in IRAQ

Anderson, you always seam to do a great job. I love the fact that we have made this into a HUGE deal. Poor Rush is being targeted. It has to be the Democrats, not that he might be a bit of a loud mouth ultra-conservative.

I just wish we didn't have a week long conversation on the GOVT. influence of the imaige of Rush!

6. James from TN

Targeting conservative radio? I recall Rush starting this. I agree A/C I'm sick of hearing about Rush.

7. Sharon S

It is a crazy side show but very entertaining you must admit!

8. vanessa from silver spring, MD

How can people say that the WH is going after Rush? Rush started this stuff. And I am sick of hearing about this.

9. Don

I think Begala is way over the line tonight. I have usually appreciated his views, but he is clearly playing CNN like a Stradavarius now. This is not appropriate responsible journalism. This needs to stop. Let him work in politics if he wants, but he is not reporting–he is playing games. This stinks.

10. Jacqui Chan

Limbaugh resembels Larry Flint (not a compliment to either)

11. lynn

I tried to listen to Limbaugh and lasted about 15 minutes...he contradicts himself constantly and really makes absolutely NO sense when you listen to him. His so called "speech" was rambling, and disconnected.disconnectedl!!!

I hear he even fist bumped people...is old Rush a terrorist now??

12. Dodie from CA

Erica Hill He just likes to hear himself talk and LOVES THE ATTENTION!

13. Steve

Limbaugh's popularity perplexes me in that I would think the Party (Reps.) would distance themselves as much as possible. Are they going to now try and sell me a Limbaugh/Palin ticket? Keep it up and by the end of this year the rest of the Party will have turned Democratic.

14. kim-chicago

The only people that fell into a trap are the stations that air this nonsense and those of us who watch it.

Why should Obama's staff not comment on what Limbaugh said.
    He answered a question.
    Why did the journalist ask the question?
    Who is fueling the fire?

Republicans need to get it together.

15. cindy

If I wanted hear more about Republican's, I would of voted for them in November.

16. Sean in Dallas

This whole Rush Limbaugh business has gone too far. The Republicans are struggling to find a decent representative for their ailing party. So, they look to Rush Limbaugh?!?!?! Doesn’t the GOP get it? It’s Rush’s brand of old-school Republican ideology that people have grown leery of. The GOP continues to call for “less government”. During the past 8 years that has translated into less oversight, more foxes guarding fewer henhouse, bigger payoffs for the big bosses and less for the workers. Our government is supposed to be “of the people”. Americans are starting to realize that what Limbaugh Republicans mean by “less government” is “less you” The middle class needs help and the GOP keeps saying no, no, no. After taking an oath to uphold the constitution you would think someone in the GOP would remember that as elected officials they are obligated to “promote the general welfare”. We aren’t ever going to able to that with someone like Rush Limbaugh and Americans know it.

17. Rose from NY

With Bush gone, the Dems need a new, bad boogeyman. Rush is a lughead, but he is a private citizen, NOT an elected official and has every right to say whatever he wants, no matter how foolish.

We should be more concerned with an administration that targets private citizens while promising a change for the better.

YES WE CAN! has become a tag line for "yes we can play politics". Haven't we had enough of this nonsense? There are far more important matters than this transparent ploy to distract us.

18. Yiu-Lung Ho, NY

Good Evening Anderson...

I just finished class at 10 PM and ran to my room for AC360.

By the way, you have a great blue tie tonight.

19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Few years ago my aunt had heart attack, my uncle called me and my aunt had heart attack and stay in the hospital........ I visited her in the hospital, she have high cholesterol and pressure too.

20. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson! You're quite feisty tonight with Nicole and Paul!

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Dodie from CA

Anderson... love the "conspiracy theory" could make a movie on that plot....

Hey, I think there were several movies made using that plot, come to think of it!

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Did she just compare American politics to American Idol? It's a sad day in America...I need to go cry now.

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Mike Syracuse, NY

Anderson, you are correct. Begala is being evasive.

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Lisa

What would Rush LImbaugh debate President Obama on? I mean, really.

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Bobby

why cant politicians talk about the economy and peoples 401ks!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Mike

No more RUSH!!!!!!! Please!

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Barbara in Boston

Rush is an entertainer. Michael Steele had it right. I wish he had stuck to his guns, although I understand why he couldn't.

This is like Christmas for the Democrats.

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  28. tommy

Anderson. Your previous guest was dodging the question about the Limbaugh phone calls.

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Bridget, TX

@Greg, if the President ever bothers to sit down with Rush, I will be totally disappointed.

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Maria

I wish the first lady to get well soon

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Cassie

I am getting a good laugh at the Limbaugh vs Rep vs Dems!!!!!!

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Claudia

A left wing conspiracy? I think they have more important things to do these days. Rush Limbaugh is just annoying

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Clive

Rush Limbaugh.. Isnt this a form of treason? What happened to his spouting off patriotism. What happened to his patriotism? The man should use his air time to better the country rather than split it apart.
    Get a life Rush

March 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Terry, TX

Mr. Anderson..... Paul Belago never answered your question as of 9:21 pm central time .... if he gets morning briefings with the Chicago thug Rahm Emmanuel....along with Stephanopolous and Carver. Everyone knows he does ...... so he should not be listed as a CNN contributor. He should be listed ....Advisor to the White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emmanuel. Chicago politics.... CNN has be Blagovich-ed with an "F".

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. kelsi

Did everyone forget that this Rush LImbaugh stuff started with DL Hughley? Is he a Dem insider?

(That was rhetorical.)

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. andersoncnn

stacy – im not saying its a problem, im asking if its happening... Paul Begala clearly doesnt want to discuss it....you can judge for yourself why that might be.

certainly some conservatives are portraying this as a conspiracy of liberal media and the white house to target a conservative radio host.

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. ericacnn

sounds like a whole lotta politickin' goin' on...

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Isabel, Brazil

we can not make Rush Limbaugh new octoplus mommy and talk about it for days!

And is not that it appears again! Look octoplus!

Let's use the prime time of things with AC intellectuals! 😉

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Sandy

Rush is an egomaniac at least, among other things. I find it hard to grasp the Republicans having him as a top spokesperson. They have really hit bottom. Rush opens his mouth all by himself..does not need the dems help.

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Jean

The Republicans are hilareous! Everytime they say stupid things that outrage the public, they try to suggest it's some left wing conspiracy. Does Rush really not hear how simple minded and partisan he sounds? I'm saddened by the continued efforts to divide our Country. I hope Rush and all his conservative supporters, both of them, fail.

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Rafael

Why won't Rush just run for office in 2012 and well see from there......where will he end up!

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

The Democrats have a solid political point, Rush Limbaugh can be taken as leader for Republicans, they might not want that. I disagree that he's the most powerful Republican bar none.

Paul Begala and James Carville are allowed to get in a dust up w Rush Limbaugh aren't they?

The former spokesperson? for President Bush has a point, Rush seems to be on the White House radar. Good comeback.

Earmark story sounds interesting, Erica.

March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Vanessa, TX

Hi Anderson, VERY good conversation tonite..I hope this conversation continues

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello Anderson Cooper. Did the Obama girls get ...... new dolls? New bikes? Super Soakers? Snowshoes? Tickets to Hannah Montana?

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kelli, San Francisco
    I am sorrry about dad, my hearts goes out to you!

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Lori from IL

Oh, good - James Carville and Paul Bagalia - I agree with them completely.

Why wouldn't you include Rush in a poll when you are looking at the Republican party - Rush has been speaking out against Dems for years - why can't the Dems speak out against Rush without being accused of "baiting/targeting" - I believe it was Rush who starting the conversation by saying on January 17th that he hoped President Obama failed and then repeated that comment several times this past week.

Love that Paul Bagalia keeps "private conversations private" - now I respect him even more.

And, I do believe Mr. Cooper that you responded to a NY congressman last week when you were "attacked" - why shouldn't Rahm and the White House respond to Rush?

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. jane MI

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David, 360crew, bloggers,

Wish Mrs Bush a full recovery. My Father had open heart surgery a few
    years back, it took time for recovery, and now back in his routine and to the gym 3 X wk (and in his 70's)

It was nice to have Dr Gupta on tonight...the topic of women and heart disease is getting more coverage

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Prithi

Anderson, why are we pushing so hard for Rush here? You have bigger journalistic fish to fry too haven't you? I haven't seen you go so hard with a contributer/guest on your show as you are doing with Begala for Rush....hmm....

March 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Isabel, Brazil

Please,

we can not make Rush Limbaugh a new octoplus mother and talk about it for days!

March 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. sharon

Anderson, c'mon. If Robert Gibbs is asked about Limbaugh at his news briefing and doesn't answer, you'd be raking him over the coals for not being forthcoming. He's asked a question, he answered, and added that talking about a radio show gasbag is non-productive when there are so many other problems, and still you don't like his answer. Can we please talk about something important here?

March 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |