March 4th, 2009

George Clooney tonight, and Darfur

Anderson Cooper
AC360 Anchor

I’m on my way to the studio downstairs to interview George Clooney about Darfur. He recently returned from the region.

There was big news on that story today–the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir for leading a five-year campaign of violence in Darfur. It’s the first arrest warrant ever issued for a sitting head of state by the war crimes tribunal.

I hope you’ll tune in to see the interview.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Darfur
  1. Lori from IL

Anderson -

Thank you for having George Clooney on 360 (and Ben Afflack a couple of weeks ago.)

I admire them (and others) who use their celebrity, time and talents to bring attention and hopefully effect change to areas of such horrible conflict/and living conditions for those caught in the conflict.

Thank you for bringing their stories to us. Keep up the good work.

March 5, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  2. Pat, South Carolina

Anderson, I missed George's interview as I was flipping channels. I couldn't hear Rush Limbaugh one more time. Please no more tonight, Clooney was an important piece of news and I missed it because of Rush.

Thanks for the mortgage modification information – I've been searching for it and was able to give it to my banker this morning. I'm in real estate and no income since 12/07 – no unemployment pay, either! Things are tough!

Please no Limbaugh tonight or I might miss something else important!

March 5, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  3. Cherisa

The arrest warrant is one step on the path to peace. Please continue to provide updates on this situation.

March 5, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  4. Brandi- bottom of the boot

i have to disagree with Luis, i think what Ben Affleck and George Clooney are doing is commmendable. using their fame to try and initiate change in places that are full of horror.

it takes alot of time out of a persons life to fight for such causes. the fact that they are willing (many other ppl as well) to donate so much of themselves is a great undertaking.

i also think it is great that 360 is giving them airtime to help them further their work.

March 5, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  5. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Arrest warrant? They should have issued an executive order to use deadly force--on first sighting.

March 5, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  6. Luis

George Clooney is on his way out. I think he knows it.

It's like Ben Affleck. I think he knows he is on his way out.

Oh well.

March 4, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  7. Barbara in Boston

I read Nic Robertson's piece on his interview of the Sudanese soldier. There has been so much horror in Darfur. I also read Archbishop Tutu's piece in the NYT. How much can we Americans do if China and the African nations don't act? We have very little leverage with the Sudanese governemtn. It's heartbreaking. Between Darfur and what's happening in the Congo, too much of the news of Africa is associited with war, death and brutality.

March 4, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  8. Michelle Ontario ,Canada

Anderson How great to interviwew Goerge Clooney !
    It will be interesting prospective on the violence and pain and suffering .Thanks for being so compassionate and for your style of questions .

Michelle D.