March 4th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Barbara Bush Hospitalized

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We're following breaking news out of Texas, where former first lady Barbara Bush is hospitalized after undergoing heart surgery. We'll have the latest details.

Also tonight, new shots in the war of words between Rush Limbaugh and the White House. And, now there's the new development that Limbaugh has dragged the Republican party into a political trap set by Democratic strategists Paul Begala and James Carville and was carried out with the help of folks inside the White House. Anderson talks it over with Begala. Is this all an inside job by the Democrats? What do you think of the tactic? Sound off below.

Join us for these stories and more at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Isabell, Indiana

Anderson, I appreciated the questions you asked Dr. Sanjay Gupta about the aortic valve, heart disease in women, and Barbara Bush’s surgery. I teach biology and you asked the type of questions I would have asked and Dr. Gupta’s answers were quite informative. The animation of how the aortic valve functions was a nice addition. Thank you – I enjoyed having my curiosity satisfied.

March 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  2. Isabel, Brazil

Former first lady Barbara Bush has an angelic face of Grandma!
    I wish better for her!

March 5, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  3. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Speedy recovery Barbara!!!!

March 5, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  4. Mary from Queens, NY

I have been listening to Rush Limbaugh on and off since my 1st daughter was born 16 years ago. I believe most who speak ill of him do not listen to him or have quite difference beliefs and would not agree with him no matter what. I agree with most of his philosophy and am very proud to call myself a conservative. He is proud of his country and doesn't want the gov't to control it. I am saddened by what democrates are doing to him. I have been pulling for obama unitl the last two days. I believe the democratsare looking to silence him. Good night (bye). America.

March 5, 2009 at 2:18 am |
  5. Cindy

I don't care for Rush at all. Never have. But I would think the democrats realized with the stimlus bill they lost their talking points to the Republicans. The more you folks talk about them not handling the economy because of a so called Rush the more I think they don't know what they are doing and don't want me to see that point.

March 5, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  6. Jerre Hutchins

Rush is getting gobs of new listeners because of this peeing contest between the Dems and himself. it is grist for his mill. I love it.....I was not really a RUSHBO fan although I listen to talk radio when I am in the car but now like the VIEW when it was heating up. I am a big fan, can't wait until tomorrow's radio show and it can't be good for the Liberals. Who does Paul Begala think he is kidding with those big blue eyes? He is a direct pipeline to the White House.

March 5, 2009 at 1:34 am |
  7. Kathy, Chicago

Barbara Bush has always been a true Lady. She deserves our respect and prayers .

March 5, 2009 at 12:53 am |
  8. Annie Kate

I thought after the election things would cool down for a little while before we got back into the "he said, she said" game. I also thought mistakenly that since Clinton wasn't elected or even nominated that the GOP would be quieter this time and not revive the constant attacks and foul wishes they utilized during Bill Clinton's administration. I thought, mistakenly it seems, that all that was about Bill and his misdeeds. But, it seems not to be – it seems that the GOP is going to complain, whine, and keep things polarized as long as any Democrat is in the White House. They have convinced me at this point that I should never vote for someone in the GOP again – and I won't. Their wishing Obama and his policies would fail is the same as wishing 4 years or 8 years of bad conditions on the country – how can they call themselves a good public servant if they cannot rise about petty party dogma squabbles and work as a team to do what is best for us all?

March 5, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  9. george bourque

Enough about Limbaugh..How about more important things..Economy,stock market,out of control congress [spending].These things are important, not the distractions created by democrats Rarely watch Cnn..enjoy your show...seems fair.

March 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  10. Tony Avery

I don't think our president should lower himself to the level of mr. Limbaugh. He has more important things to do.

March 4, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  11. Amanda

I've been working for The Methodist Hospital for the past six months, and based upon my experience, I can honestly say that Barbara could not be in better hands than Dr. Gerald Lawrie. I'd wondered if that was where she went, and then read Kay Williams' comment – thank you for your kind words, Kay. I know all of us at TMH are proud to have her, and wish her the very best.

March 4, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  12. Gemini Jarvis El Paso, Texas

Love all associated with 360. News is fun again. Thank you for not being serious all of the time.

I am scared that Rush L. will fill the rising generation with false ideals about what democracy and freedom are all about. I am so glad he was not present when our founding Fathers wrote our Constitution.

Sorry about Mrs. Bush Senior. Hope she recovers soon. 🙂

March 4, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  13. w miller

So tell us, is this what we are to expect over the next four years.-This is the aspirations of our country? Are we to accept this finger pointing, name calling between the government parties-manipulative traps set until we destroy ourselves. Is this the "change" that we have to look forward to? Certainly none of these men can even begin to think that they qualify as a leader. They are mean, manipulative and angry. So far this "frenzy of change" has not inspired a nation to work together, but to name call and create a toxic enviroment. This is like a gang war, hatred begets hatred, and nothing can survive in a toxic environment. Gentlemen you will destroy us-Stop this or get out. Where is the wisdom of the men and women in our government. Like the book says "Where Have All the Leaders Gone"

March 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Lorna

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's speech today to Congress was the most brilliantly crafted speech I have read in years. Beginning with announcing the highest honour to the ailing popular Senator Kennedy, the poignant descriptions of the partnership between the UK and the US from battlefields to peace and prosperity, it created jus tthat rush of warmth and comfort that the US needed to hear but how effective was it?

March 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Kay Williams

In October, 1983, Dr. Gerald Lawrie performed a triple bypass on my late husband. At the time of my husband's death in July, 2007 (from lung cancer), those bypasses were still intact. Gerald Lawrie is a wonderful and talented surgeon and I know that Barbara Bush is in very good hands. My sincere hope and prayers are for her recovery.

Kay Williams
    Oklahoma City, OK

March 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. starr

Good evening Anderson, crew, Erica, panel and fellow bloggers.

Looking like a good show, Rush Limbaugh calls out the President to a debate (he must surely feel that he is important).

More importantly, the government plan to help homeowners has begun. am interested to hear more abou that program.

sorry, to hear about Barbara Bush.

March 4, 2009 at 10:05 pm |