March 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/03/09

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Roger L Utz

I was disappointed in the tone of reporting about the first stimulus money being used to repair a bridge in rural Missouri rather being used in St Louis. It was implied to me that it was a waste to repair that bridge in though it was falling apart as they were filming. I thought the formula of repairing the worst first is a sound strategy. Wasn't it only last year that a bridge collapsed, killing people and disrupting a major traffic artery to a big city. Are big cities the only thing that is important or is it big news stories?

And the expert academinane that says the WPA work projects were not benificial stimulus to the recovery of the great depression is naive. Anything that pays for material and work that continues to pay future dividends is the right investment. Several of our local parks in New York have WPA signs on foot path bridges and retaining walls that look like they could last centuries. And what good are they? They provide walks ways for people to get out, enjoy nature, and get excercise. How much monetary mental and physical health dividends has this paid and will continue to pay? A lot.

March 4, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  2. Emma

That was ridiculous. Do people not know that 911 is for emergencies and not for customer service issues?

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Billy Simmons, MD

I think I am going to join Cafferty in the I love Michele Obama club. 🙂

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Sean, I agree. I was active duty and a reservsit for 22 years. We were required to have child care provisions.

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  5. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Have a great night, everyone! Yet another awesome Shot. I heard about that call earlier today. People amaze me. 🙂

See you guys tomorrow.

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  6. Don, WA

On the missing at sea – I think you can buy homing devices to attach to your life-jacket – that could help the coast guard find you when your bobbing around unseen in waves. I guess most know that, and this is a reminder that you should do that when at sea. Maybe they'll still find them ok – I hope so.
    Did someone just almost die from too many Big Mac's or something?

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  7. Maureen T, Canada

The man and wife calling 911 because of the pot overdose is priceless! 🙂 Pot brownies can make you hungry too, from what I've heard! Thanks Anderson! Good night see you! 🙂

March 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  8. Sean, Soldier in IRAQ

Have a good night everyone. Thanks for a great news show. Youll are AWSOME!! Erica, AC, nice little laugh at the end of my shift.. Im off to my sleeping quarters. See you all again tomorrow

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Dodie from CA

Good Night Everyone... take care

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  10. marilyn- canada

good stuff!

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

I've never had pot brownies either, Anderson. I don't think they sell those at Walmart.

You and Erica have a great night!

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  12. LorenaR

I was told that 911 calls are for two purposes only, a crime in progress and a medical emergency. But 50% of 911 calls at a large city dispatching center (los angeles) are non-emergency

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sean In Iraq
    See you tomorrow night!!!!!!

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Esma

See, we vegans don't have these McProblems.
    I'm guessing the shake machine was broken too.

Ah, yes, magical brownies!!! Great for making everyone else laugh at you, Officer!

Goodnight, everyone!

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  15. Russ

Erica,

Let's see.... I want to be fit and healthy, have my system perform with high efficiency, and I want to be cool, calm and collected, and see my family and nation also in that condition ... should I listen to a completely out of shape arrogant obnoxious one sided fool? Or, should I listen to someone who represents that model I spoke of???

I choose Obamas fitness and calm, cool style. Rush is on the verge of a serious cholesterol and stress induced heart failure....

Cheers,
    Russ

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Maren in Oregon

Good night everyone. Happy huckleberries!

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Tony, Poughkeepsie NY

People Obama has already signed the bill. Why keep talking about it. Just come together and make what ever can work, WORK

March 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Fast food emergency? Cuz they ran out of McNuggets? Wow people are insane! The McDonalds here has chicken nuggets...I had some for dinner! Gotta love the 911 file of shame! 🙂

Good night Anderson, Erica and all! Hope you have a great evening and a fabulous Wednesday! Have a good sleep and chat with you tomorrow!

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  19. Brian

omg.......I think I'm dead

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Michelle

How come she could not get a refund.
    Thanks Erica that is the best 9-1-1 call
    ever.

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  21. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

That's why marijuana should never be legalized.....

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  22. Fay - California

The 9-11 caller is ridiculous, but why do they even waste time talking to people like that? Hang up!

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  23. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Goodnight all! See yall 2morrow.

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  24. Paul-NYC

Wasn't the man and his wife who made the 911 call about the brownies a police officer?

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  25. Eric

Maybe she was pregnant...in that case maybe the McNuggets were an emergency :p

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Have a good night all, and to all a good night!

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  27. Isabel, Brazil

Hmmm... I can’t believe it! Chicken McNuggets!!

March 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  28. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney South Carolina

Apparently that woman thought her nuggets were an emergency oh well to each his own emergency I guess.

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  29. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

The Shot is just pathetic...911 of Shame files it should belong to! This is so sad. There are so many REAL emergencies out there. 3 times? Oh wow...

Oh, so sad.

Well, good evening all. Thanks for the chat...

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  30. Kim

McDonalds and dial 911 ? It's a Big Mac attack ? No,it's nuggets !

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  31. EJ (USA)

Well all the lady had to do was get a credit for the nuggets and come back later! Duh!

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Bea, BettyAnn, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Patti, Casey and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!!
    Day of the shot with McDonald's Emergency, very funny LOL!!!!!!! but not good idea to call 911!!! LOL!

Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! plenty a time to sleep! 😀

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  33. Marium

@ Mike. You’re right, and that’s what I was getting at. Good infrastructure is a huge indicator for success. Rome was ahead of its time, and failed because it spread it’s empire out too much and lost control. Rome is only one example.

Our infrastructure endures so much wear and tear, it needs to be monitored so bridges don’t collapse and highways are paved. It’s not only for the success of the nation, but a national security issue. Can we depend on our roads and bridges to be sturdy enough to carry necessary materials and personal to any national disaster or crisis? What about New Orleans? That area should receive infrastructure funding and eliminate the levies that divide the rich and poor.

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

Good night Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Erica, I enjoyed your military families story - many are unaware of what these families go through - while their spouse is deployed and when they come home -

Enjoyed the chat tonight fellow bloggers - "see" you tomorrow night -

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  35. starr

As a child of the military (my dad was a career man-33 yrs.), i really appreciated Michelle Obama's thoughts. she is a class act.

(oops) i think i had some "ugly" thoughts about Rush Limbaugh

Good Night everyone, great show and blog and i look forward to tomorrow.

March 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  36. John Oliver

When will they learn to be more careful throwing good money after bad. A relative part of this recession could be tied to bad management and bad business practices. If the executives running the banks were paid by merit, then given the current circumstances they would not be entitled to a cent in bonus´

March 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  37. carolyn cee yah

what mrs obama is doing is great.
    those military wives go thru a lot, i commend them i could'nt do it.
    but i do visit a lot of them for inspiration.

March 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |