February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EJ (USA)

Erica, that was very brave of you to share with us. Thank you.

It was – thanks for sharing Erica! I'm glad you don't have any more to worry about! I will love when/if I get to that point.

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Ana Siqueira

you are very good cuttiing oninos Anderson!

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Payback to the onion cult....

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Andrea, TN

@Wendy I believe she said the Kaplan testing centers?

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. KarenT

What bothered me more about Jindal Katrina story is him claiming volcano research and detection in the Recovery bill is wasteful spending. This coming from the Governor of a State that relies on federal funding for Katrina relief and has the benefits of hurricane warnings. I'm sure the people in Alaska, Washington, Hawaii and Oregon are just thrilled. These are the kinds of projects the Republicans keep claiming are earmarks!

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Matthew from IL

@sean – amen – that is great perspective – no one has even given the President a chance – it's only been 38 days! I would never expect a job review in my first 38 days! At least he's getting into action and moving away from the disaster of the Republican party

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Chris you are definitely not the only one who would have issues with the onion smell! Throw that in with mysophobia and it makes cooking really interesting!

February 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Sean, IRAQ

Republicans are only happy because they are on a "SAVE FACE" program, after the destruction of G.W.B. to the republican party, and Sarah Palin with her "Russian Mavericks" they need every inch they can get. They seam like dogs at the end of the table, looking fot the moment to steal a small bit of food.

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Gladys

That serial killing story is making me nervous. i hope they catch the person soon. I have a friend that lives in New Mexico and she is not a prostitute but she is a woman.

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Chef Coop Bon Andertite!
    Good night and TGIF to you all!
    mucho mi besos to all! XO

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Kamran

Charging for the bathroom on the plane?! And right after one airline announced return of free water on board??!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Sharon S

Well I would think the bad economy would be good for couples making us stay home with each other and spend more time with family?
    Hopefully it will make everyone realize what is really important in life!

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Heidi Ann Berg

good night every one have a great weekend Anderson

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I can't wait to see First Lady Michelle Obama's picture!

February 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Stacy

Wow. Watching this show you learn about the economy, the wars,...and how to cut an onion. When they say 360, they're not kidding.

February 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Thirteen bodies in the desert. Too creepy for my psychoanalitical narrative stories.

February 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. EJ (USA)

Anderson – I don't like touching onions either. It is rare that I am ever cooking anything that requires me to do that. Although I love them in pastas and sauces – They are usually already made.

February 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Mark, New London, CT

Erica...watching AC cut onions while trying to keep his hands free of onion smell - and hearing you laughing in the background - was one of the funniest things I've witnessed in a long time. Once he gave in to the onion, howver, he did some respectable slicing.

February 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Esma

This story from New Mexico is mortifying, I really hope they catch this lunatic. The fact that they are 13 bodies is hard to fathom. My heart goes out to the victim's families.

February 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Pati Mc

@ Anderson – To get the onion smell off of your hands, run them under cold water and rub your hands with a stainless steel utensil. Sounds crazy, but it works....old chef trick from way back. Works even after you have peeled shrimp!

21. Barbara in Boston

Emma, I agree about the Democrat and Republican over-reactions to Pres Obama's initiatives. It's all politics, grand-standing for the home audience. I think that the President has to be doing something right if he's got all the politicians angry.

22. Uma in Liverpool, UK

OMG 😀 😀 😀
    Anderson Cooper, the Man Who Makes Onions Cry!!

Brilliant segment. Thank you, Anderson, that was brave. 😀 😀 😀

23. Joshua S.

Minty toothpaste? Just wash with stainless steel and that onion smell is gone. It's magic, Anderson. No, science. Just don't ask WHat science.

24. gill - north of 49

Truly a funny, awkward, and scary Anderson chopping segment today on Live...great follow-up Erica. Now one last thing.... one day soon we all hope to see the following promo scroll across the bottom of our viewing screens...

BREAKING NEWS...... SMACK-DOWN 2009 !!! – RIPA vs COOPER – who walks away victorious and is crowned "Quiz Champion of the World" ?...Tune in and find out.

25. Wendy

What was the name of the company that is hiring people for $25.00/ hour?

26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with my friend bloggers!!!
    You have to learn how do it yourself to cook!!!! 😀

27. mave

Oh lord, that reminds of when Ted Bundy was in our state. I was in high school and we weren't suppose to go anywhere alone and he still managed to kill several girls and never did tell the families what he had done with the bodies...the mother of one girl kept the porch light on for years...so scary and so sad!

28. Isabel, Brazil

What terrible thing!
    Who are these people? And their families?

29. Lauren--NY

Guys, come on, that's no proof he doesn't spend time in the kitchen–I do a *decent* cooking job and I don't cut onions like Bobby Flay, either. Cut Coop some slack. 😉

30. Mary G, Forest Hills

I'm still laughing at Anderson chopping that onion. Anderson, you're such a geek - albeit a lovable geek.

31. Dorothy-CA

Anderson! Good job, but don't think you should try for a chef's job. News achor fits ya just fine!

32. Sam M., Ewa Beach, HI

wow cutting an onion is more complicated than I thought.

33. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Anderson: My very first job ever was working in the kitchen of a restaurant preparing items for the salad bar. "Onion" duty was the part I hated the most and no matter what you do, you never get that onion smell off your hands...

34. Kathy, Andover

Anderson can't touch the onion, cuz he does want to smell like onion! Anderson, you're still hilarious!

35. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – Congrats on your new-found chopping abilities! I was holding my breath for a second there with you and the big knife. I'm glad I'm also not the only one who's OCD about getting onion scent (or any scent for that matter) on my hands. I lose count of how many times I wash my hands in a day.

@Erica – Way to be resourceful! You never disappoint. 😉

36. Emma

I can't cut onions either. Luckily, it doesn't matter because I hate onions.

37. Thane Chastain

So where do you get the CNN cutting boards. Those were the real stars.

38. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson, your show tonight is really a hoot!! I am proud that you learned how to properly and safely cut an onion (laugh)

Great panel too,. as always

I live in NM, and this body story is disturbing....

39. Russell Beaty

Erica,

Thank you!!! Very, very funny!

I watch the show every night, and I have to say the greatest segment yet... "Cooking with Cooper" needs to be a Friday regular!

40. Lori from IL

Great ambush, Erica!

Will Anderson be adding sous chef to his resume any time soon?

41. Vickie

We get the point of Jindal's story, but he should have just said that boaters were turned away by the government, instead of embellishing the fact that he was right there in the thick of things. It's the embellishment I think people are objecting to.

42. Claudia

You guys are hilarious! I have never enjoyed that much watching the news 🙂

43. Heidi Ann Berg

good job Anderson

44. David, Indiana

David Gergen, do you feel that the budget, and the priorities of the stimulus are also a return of policy attention to things that have been neglected? Also, on the philosophical rift that you mention, and that Candy Crowley noted in her earlier report, is it possible that Republicans in congress have ceded some of the center ground? I think maybe so and that could be a problem because that's were the intense action will be on the healthcare debate.

"Paying for the loo too" great headline.

Oh man Bobby Flay...good horizontal slices on that onion Anderson. Yep 8.5 out of ten, that's better than me. Good advice on the webcast though, if you want to cook you have to get your hands dirty.

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  45. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Iron Chef Anderson Cooper. I would love to see that.

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Digging your fingernail into an onion?! Good heavens what if your rub your eye afterwards?! =0

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  47. jen

Anderson, cutting an onion doesn't have to be that difficult! Chop it fast like you did and then throw it in the processor to get smaller. No watery eyes that way! Thanks for the chuckle!

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  48. alice

oh anderson, where did you learn to hold a knife...thank you for for brightening up my friday night!!! i watch all the time and its good to see some of the lighter moments amidst this serious time in our country

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Don, WA

That was pretty funny onion cutting by AC – Uh Oh! it's a "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay.
    (Sometimes I to wear a scuba mask when I cut onions to keep the eyes from hurting).

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Nattada, Houston TX

Wow, Bobby Flay is here!! Good one Erica. I can not stop laughting.

You did it Anderson, good job!! It is always fun to see you trying to do some cooking. You are so cute and funny. How is your hands smell now? 🙂

February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |