February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jenny in MN

I feel for the economic hardships people are facing, but...

Your video about the man who had to charge a water to his credit card for lunch–Was there no faucet or drinking fountain nearby?

We obviously are not as badly off as those in the Great Depression. We're still buying water!

Thanks for your reporting! I always enjoy it.

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Kathleen

I've never missed a credit card payment.

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. kenneth- Wisconsin

I agreed with David G again!

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Barbara in Boston

So does this mean there's no more "cheat 'em and leave 'em?"

I couldn't resist ...

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    Sarah Palin doesn't speak for all women. She doesn't speak for me.

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Maren in Oregon

More Candy Crowley!

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Judy

As for 2011 tax phaseouts of the "wealthy" reducing charitable donations, there will be little change. Currently, the very wealthy have been faced with phase-outs that reduce their donations to 20%. That said, even at the current 35% tax rate they are only getting 7 cents on the dollar. They give because they want to – not for tax breaks.

February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Sean, welcome to the blog this evening! Its a pleasure to have you here! Thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country!

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Kathy

Sarah Palin the pick of Republicans? What are they thinking? She helped McCain lose the election just as much as Obama did.

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Palin is history. I can't believe that the Republican Party would really be serious about her.

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Lauren--NY

David Gergen is right. It is *way* too early to figure out what the GOP will be thinking come mid-2010 when they start prepping for the 2012 election. These things turn on a dime.

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Bea

Candy is right, the base of the Republican party is getting smaller and smaller. iI will be the size of a stool soon!

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Maren in Oregon

I hope that Sarah Palin runs again, and again, and again. It will ensure Democratic rule until our grandchildren are voting!

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Claudia

You did not answer the question in regards to the option that the credit cards are giving if we choose not to accept their higher interest then we can opt out and our card will not be renewed. The question was how will that affect our credit scores if we choose to stay with our lower interest and not get out card renewed?

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Stacy

Yay, go Palin! I hope she runs in 2012. A great way to ensure two terms for Obama.

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Deena

"Correcting the U.S. current account deficit with a dollar devaluation is like trying to eliminate a deficit in your household budget by cutting your hourly wage. Although it could work, it's a bad idea because it makes you poorer. "R. Oatley source Alpha

February 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Erica. Yeah i know. Struggling with groceries, and supplies for classes, especially my art classes, but at least i don't have credit card debt. And at least i have a job waiting for me in the summertime.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Keith-LA

the republicans need to lay off Palin. She is not the answer for their party.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

I dont know who buggs me more...Jindal or Palin

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Erica – This conversation on debt comes after I spent half of the day calling my bank trying to eliminate unnecessary fees and raise my credit limit. Not a fun place to be, really.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Maury S.

Did you know that the existing rate on an unexpired CD can be changed (reduced) if the issuing bank is taken over by another bank in concert with FDIC or by FDIC directly? I always thought that a CD was a contract, but it's not so!

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Michelle

Jindal is so busted.He clearly implied that
    he was in the thick of things during Katrina.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Arie

I start college in the fall and i'm beginning to worry about whether or not my family will be able to afford tuition. I've applied for scholarships and grants, but the $42,000 price tag on tuition is still hard to even think about it. I would like to know how Pres. Obama plans to help students attain an affordable education? Even public universities are increasing their tuitions.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Isabel, Brazil

@ David

I hope you are right!
    I hope so! 😉

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

I wonder what Gov. Jindal has to say about his silly speech.

I'm sure he's smart and is not as bad as that speech but even what he was saying – was empty. The GOP does not have a message.

February 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. rose

Jindahl is lying...what a phony!

27. Maren in Oregon

Let's face it, Jindal's speech was pedantic and delivered in the worst impression of Mr. Rogers yet seen.

28. Gladys

LOL Jindall is about to read my bed story again. LOL

29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Spending is the best way to get our economy going. The way to get the economy rolling again is to pour money into it. Spending is how you stimulate an economy.

30. David

Bad news bad news Please give us a little good news for once Just one segment on something good that is happening in the world would be a boost.to all of us and give us something to smile about.

31. Sharon S

I don't think the stock market is stable my stocks are still losing money, if this keeps up I will have lost all my 401K!

Who is going to take care of me when I retire? All our Social Security will be gone by then?

32. Dodie from Irvine, CA

TGIF Erica!!!

33. Bea

Jindal isn't at the Republican meeting. Ha, Ha.

34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Please no more Sarah Palin....... I am tired of her issues and political.... Ugh!

35. lynn

Thank you for your input (and service) Sean. It is actually very beneficial to hear from someone who has actually experienced what is happening in Iraq.

36. Cessy, Chicago

Hello, everyone and good evening. Not sure if saying Happy Friday is appropriate these days...lately, i feel like I shouldnt complain that my work days are finally over for the week ,when others are wishing they have work – im just being honest, really. To add, there hasnt been a lot of good news lately.

however, watching you, Anderson this morning ( missing my morning meeting) keeps my mind off stressful things even for an hour 😀 Thanks!

37. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

@Sean- Thank you very much for your service.

38. James

Vicki of Arkansas and Bea,
    You are right, V, McCain did clearly say we would need to leave some troops in Iraq (we have troops in many countries) and he drew criticism for that. Obama's position here is somewhat Centrist which is good but not a lot different than McCain's was.

Bea, it would be great to be on here just one evening when people just post well-conceived comments rather than ill-conceived comments about what would be the "other" party for them. No party is perfect and if you think differently, it's called "brainwashed."

39. Nattada, Houston TX

Happy Friday to you, too, Erica.

Oh..I said you look so cute in my previous comment not so "cut".
    I miss the "e", sorry.

40. ericacnn

vanessa, that's a scary place to be - and you're not alone. i remember "making ends meet" when i was first out of college by using credit cards...and the debt that came with it. it was spent on things like groceries and gas while i juggled rent, student loans, etc. the debt is now gone, but it took a long time and i wasn't proud of it.

41. Derrick

I got the same letter from Capital One.

Tell me this: What's going to happen when these 5 million unemployed people run out of unemployment insurance? What are they going to depend on? That's terrifying. Where's this money coming from anyway? I know we pay into it every pay period but how much money is in this system? With unemployment increasing and employment decreasing is there enough money going into the system to keep it from breaking?

42. Lauren--NY

I think a lot of these economists are out of touch with the average American. They don't buy these funds that woman was talking about, because outside of Oz most of us don't know what the heck they are.

43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, despite what some might think of the First Lady's portrait, I hope Michelle Obama changes the expectations and how people view the role of the First Lady in the White House. I'd be disappointed if she didn't.....

44. Cristy Kirssin

I can't believe we're talking about infidelity and the economy. Married couples earn more money anyway.

Cristy Kirssin
    Baltimore, maryland

45. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Microphone problems? Making the sound choppy on the tele.

46. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Jo Anne – Same here. You know, I hate news teasers. They make me impatient. Why bring it up if you're not going to tell us for another half an hour? 😉

47. Maureen T, Canada

I'm sad to hear that young man is charging water on his credit card. Who would've thought it would've come to that. He needs a job that's for sure.

48. sami

Oh God! Now the time seems very bad for USA. But still we can make it ......

49. JamesT

I think Obama is doing a great job by reflecting both the Democratic view of pulling out, and the Republican view of securing the gains in freedom for the Iraki people by his announced plan. He is fair and balanced.

50. Georgia

Hi,

My 401K was over $8K and is now probably less than half.

If this really is a good time to invest(?) - can you identify which companies are good bets - afterall, most are practically down to 'penny' stocks.

Also, is this a still a Buyer's market(?) - and if so, what formula is used to calculate how much of an individual's income is adequate to invest in a property (keeping with the 1/3 guideline)?

Thanks.