February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Stacy

@Sean: Thank you for your service and input.

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Esma

Happy Friday, Erica! The webcast was skipping a bit, just so you know.

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Penny

We are wondering if less is being withheld from our payroll taxes, how will that effect our tax return for 2009. Will we owe more, or be refunded less when we file for the year or will the tax tables be adjusted accordingly? Thank you.

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Sharon S

Erica, we made it to friday!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  5. fred - London

I think Michael Weir is one of the finest journalists in the world at the moment. He brings a steady coolness,incisive insight and an indepth knowledge on the subject matter. I have thoroughly enjoyed his views and wish him the best in the future. He truly keeps them honest.

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Rafael

Happy Friday To you Erica. I hope you have a good weekend.

February 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Bernard Kramer

Anderson,

I wonder of the 50,000 remaining troops in Iraq, do you or Michael Ware have an idea how many will be combat support troops, logistics, etc., and will there be combat troops?

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The economy is only getting worse food prices are getting higher and gas prices just went up four cents this not good

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Hey Erica! Happy Friday to you, too!

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Erica!!!!!
    Happy Friday to you!!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. kenneth- Wisconsin

Iraq... Afganistan.... Where are the war protesters?

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  12. lee

can't wait to hear about the ambush Erica

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Fay - California

It seems that the middle class and the poor have been losing ground for years, with things becoming increasingly worse – hopefully the President's economic plan will go a long way towards easing some of that burden.

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Joe C Aston, PA

The graph that was just shown comparing current – gdp to 1982 – gdp needs some explaining. In 1982 we were using gnp and stopped using gnp in 1992. Were the figures for 1982 recalculated using gdp or are the numbers from 1982 gnp numbers?

Thanks....

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Sharon S

I am afraid our once great Country is going to slide into a horrible place it can never recover from!

I can't believe this plan is going to take away so many incentives for people I used to give donations but I just won't bother anymore!

February 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Sixteen banks failing. i never can grasp the true meaning of this time. It's so terrifying to think of others who had their money in those banks and then in an instant there is no certainty where that money is....

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i suppose i feel differently about jindal since i have seen him in person and without a script. his national performance was not good, but he is very intelligent and charismatic. he seemed nervous to me.

he has done alot for our state so far, i expect much more.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. ericacnn

happy friday, bloggers!

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Kaye

The picture of the First Lady is elegant and classy. People need to learn to accept Michelle is who she is. Her style of dress relates to everyday people, not all "suited" up all the time.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Julie

Take a look at the FDIC's historic list of bank failures. You'll find that bank failures were greater than 50/year up until 1994. So – rather than sounding like Henny Penny about 15 bank failures, how about putting this year's failures into some historical context?

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Glad to see the end of Reganomics - I think it was George HW Bush who called it "voodoo economics" when he was running for office -

This mess has been years in the making - "trickle down" hasn't worked, but apparently the Republicans haven't figured this out - Apparently nothing was learned from the "Great Depression" which was fueled by the squeezing of the middle and lower classes.

I'm glad President Obama is looking at the big pricture and 10 years down the raod. Let's give him time and see if "trickle up" won't work.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Tim from Ventura California

If, as often I hear, the premise of the economic turmoil is the drop in housing prices, then it should be very easy to understand when the economic turmoil will stop.

That is, when the average priced home can be afforded by the average household income, without using exotic mortages for purchase, then the turmoil will stop.

We then know how much further we have to go, which is the difference between the CURRENT average price of a location, and the ACTUAL average price which can be afforded by any given regional household income.

Why do banks and the government avoid stating this simple fact so we can all move on?

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Isabel, Brazil

The Pres. Obama projected a deficit for 2010 which is equivalent to one Brazilian and two Argentines added.
    Twelve percent of GDP deficit, the United States saw only in the effort with spent the Second World War.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Jen

Obama's budget and plans are generous to middle class and the poor, which means those people will be less reliant on some rich throwing their change to charities. If there is a big reduction in charitable gifts he can change it in the future.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Rafael. Yeah i hope thing turn around soon.

February 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Dante

Anderson, Bobby Jindell seems a lot like Mr. Rodgers with a tan. Either he is full or it or just a poor public speaker. I felt like his response was poorly written and badly delivered. Another strike against the republicans. This is the up and comming star of the GOP? I guess we should all keep and open mind, like my daddy said, americans can do anything!

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Vannessa These bank failures are getting scary. I hope my bank doesn’t fail.

Hey Vannessa you got that right i will hate to see anymore banks fail.

Rafael
    I think so, You're right!!!!! I felt that banks won't help to loan people as foreclosed homes or business.

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. KarenT

The past 8 years of spending gave us what...two wars we're still fighting, a broken financial system, broken housing market and recession. What a great investment that turned out to be. I see the spending Obama is proposing as an investment in energy independence which will bring down our cost of energy use and eliminate our need for foreign oil, an investment in education which will give us a more educated population to take our Country forward, an investment in our health care system which will help corporations and individuals alike.

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The doom and gloom is hitting me here too i'm about to loose my job soon.

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Linda

TGIF. The stock market can't tank again until Monday.

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Lori... I agree. I have been waiting for this for hmmmmm 7 years!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Stacy

@Matthew: I wonder that too. I wish the coverage could focus more on how families are doing and less on the day to day fluctuations of the Dow.

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Lillian Carilo, H.R. CO

Oooooooh. Ericaaaaa

February 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

@Mave- You're not alone. I'm a bit aloof to all of the money talk. All I know is that things are bad!

February 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Sharon S

Well we all know how the Democrats love the spread the wealth!

But I call it handing out the money of those who worked for it to those who didn't bother working! Pathetic!

February 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Stacy February 27th, 2009 10:10 pm ET
    @Mike: He’s not leaving them in indefinitely.

So when are they leaving? What's the 'timetable' for the 50,000? Face it, Obama is doing the same as Bush was, and McCain said he would do. The only difference is he's given a date for PART of the troops. 50,000 is a pretty big chunk of the 130,000 there.

February 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brazil

In the last 25 years (Am I sure these accounts?) The U.S. economy only grew, and became the greatest power the world ...

You always came out well before the problems, do not believe now is different.

February 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. rose

Jindahl sold us out to further his political career. Of course he lied.

February 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Julie

Any U.S. soldiers in Iraq after 8/10 should be serving under the U.N. flag commanded by an other than U.S. officer.

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Sharon S

Are they saying no one will be able to use Mortgage interest on our tax refunds?

I really would like to know exactly how taking all the money from the so called wealthy is going to do anything but discourage anyone from trying to be wealthy?

Will we become a country of low and middle class only?

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Pati Mc

If Jindal lied, or even stretched the truth about the Katrina story, that is beyond reprehensible.

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Maureen T, Canada

Obamanomics! New word for the dictionary!

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Sabrina

All this outcry by rebublicans about taxes is a crock. If tax cuts worked for the rich then why are we in this mess? We have had tax cuts for the rich for 8 years. If rich people only give to charities for the tax write off then they may need to reconsider what is the real purpose of giving.

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Esma

When I lived in NOLA (2002-2004) Jindal was a cool cat, so I have no clue what happened. His Katrina Myth made me irate at best, and I think his speech writer should be banned from writing anything more advanced than a grocery list.

February 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Murali, MD

My question is on whether the market has hit bottom.

Looking at the Max graph for DOW. Until 1990 it was around 2,000. in 10 years it jumped more than 5 times to 11,000.

Is this the real Bulbble? What fundamental support 7000 level?

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Becky Bell

Hi, I have a banking question. I have a Trust and am a Co-Trustee for my Father's trust. Kindly tell me how many accounts at each bank we can have with their respective totals and be covered by the F.D.I.C.
    Thanks!

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Michelle

Matthew I agree with you on Wall Street.
    It is too much power for a few. I do not
    buy that the stock market drives our
    economy.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Obama-nomics...I love that word! Hopefully Obama-nomics work out better than Bush-nomics?!

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Sean, IRAQ

Anderson,
    Wow, this is the first time I have actualy bloged. Ive been a fan for a while. I watch every morning. Great Job New Years! Kathy is crazy, but it was great to watch.

Ok, I am actually writing because of the "War Front" I want to give you my personal opinion on what I belivee will happen.
    Ive been in the Army for 4 years, and this is my second deployment. I have been with Multi-National Division Baghdad for both deployment. My first was 15 months. As we deployed and the Commander and Cheif took office, I knew that this was going to be a long year.
    The soldiers of America are no longer LEADING counter-insurgancy in Iraq, those operations are being lead by Iraqi Army soldiers, we are the support for them during these operation. With the withdrawl plan, it is hard to predict what will happen, because this country has made strides in the right direction, but the country is still fragile. It is a new Iraq, and great place headed in the right direction. But I feel that as long as we are here they will depend on our big name to help them. I hope this wasnt to long. But I felt I needed to say something.

Soldier in IRAQ

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Linda

Growing up, I heard all about the Great Depression (oxymoron). Here we go again. Most of this could have been avoided if our elected officials had been paying attention. It's the end of "free candy" (to quote Ross Perot).

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |